Tugging heartstrings

If we could turn back time

Jongsuk slowly touched the hospital door in front of him - it was ivory frame in robust marble, it was cold too. He hesitated. He had wanted to open it, run to her and see if she was okay. He wanted to pull her in to his arms, hold her against his chest. Would she have wanted to see him, as much as he did?

And then the door creaked open as he stepped into the room.

"Ya. Kim Jiwon."

It was Jongsuk. Jongsuk had come. Jiwon had wanted to see him so much. She missed him his gentle touch and his laughter. And all these while she thought she could distract herself from thinking of him. She thought she would be able to forget him. But he never really left her mind. Not even once.

"Bogoshipposo... (I've missed you...)"

Her heart was hurting. Her head was hurting. The feeling was almost surreal. He said he missed her. Did she hear it right? All she wanted to do was cry. 

He sat down on the chair beside her bed, shrugging off his backpack and looked at her in concern.

"Bad person." her words muffled as tears streamed down her face.

Jongsuk felt a surge of emotions rushed through him. The girl he liked was breaking down before him, and there was nothing he could do. He reached out his hand to wipe the traces of her tears.

"You're... dating Seyoung."

"Bwo? (What?) Ani (No)... We are not."

"Then why would she say that..."

"That Seyoung... She follows me around everywhere. We had a few dinners together with our families... Because our families are business partners. And she keeps buying gifts for my family... I don't like her. She's annoying. "

His hand was warm and his words were reassuring, it calmed her. She was relieved that Jongsuk didn't have eyes for Seyoung. She should have trusted in him. She should have trusted in herself.

"Ah... Is this why you refused to talk to me?" Jongsuk leans towards Jiwon as he teased.

He was looking at her in that familiar way again, with his breath carressing the tip of her nose. He was so close she felt a nervous sort of flutter in her chest. Jiwon tried to ignore his teasing, because she needed further affirmation.

"And... Ye-sol..."

"Those girls...!

I know I'm charming. Ye-sol and the other girls are desperate to get my attention. " He grinned, completely unabashed.

It's been a while since Jongsuk looked at her with that glint of mischief. She shot back a warning glance --- not impressed. Her face was still a mess from the tears.

"They would buy me expensive gifts, or make me bring them to posh restaurants, and show off to their friends. They would also whine and cling onto me.

In the past I would have played along and dumped them... Because they deserved it. But I stopped.

Ever since... that day."

***

The next day, the skies were beginning to clear and the snow crystals on the roads seemed to glisten. Jongsuk bought a cup of latte to warm himself up a little. A cold wind brushed against Jongsuk's face as he walked down the streets. It was cold but that's okay, he smiled to himself. He grasped tighter on to the stuffed rabbit he had bought earlier, in an attempt to cheer Jiwon up. Then he passed by a florist shop, and decided to return and get a bouquet too. Looking around, he finally eyed on mauve tulips. Mauve tulips meant commitment and forgiveness, the description said. He wasn't sure if he could commit, but he decided to put some seriously thoughts about it...

In the hospital, he entered Jiwon room stealthily, and sheepishly hid behind the curtains. Only revealing a stuffed rabbit to her in one hand, he mentally gathered his courage and told himself he could do it. He had practiced this in front of the mirror numerous times in the restroom a moment ago! Finally, he spoke with a squeaky little cute voice, "Pretty Jiwonie, are you feeling better today? Let's go out and play! Hur hur hur hur!!" shaking the toy excitedly.

Jiwon chuckled in amusement and squealed with delight. She remarked on how cute the stuffed rabbit was. And although she didn't say it, but she marveled at the adorable side of Jongsuk. It was the first time she saw a different side of him.

He was embarressed of himself because it was awkward as hell. But it was also a success so he grinned at his satisfied puppet acting. Then he put down the flowers and stuffed rabbit by her bedside.

"Let's go out today, shall we?" 

"But... it still hurts to walk."

"I'll wheel you."

"Choa (Ok)." Jiwon beamed. The hospital food had been terrible and the walls were cold. She couldn't be more glad to go out.

Outside of the building, they came to a meadow filled with yellow wildflowers. And ahead of them was a group of volunteers giving balloons away and kids flying kites and chasing each other. It was a beautiful sight and the sun was setting in alluring hues of orange and purple. They stopped by the pavement.

"You know... my first love, she was gorgeous. She had long hair and big eyes... like you."

Jiwon turned to look at him. But his eyes were looking faraway as he recalled his first love.

"I was 8 and she was 2 years my senior, she always knew that I liked her. But she would never look at me. Until one day someone let out I was the heir of Zeus Group, immediately she came and held up my hand, proclaiming that I belong to her. It put me off."

His words somewhat affected her, tugging a cord in her heart and made her sad. He was lonely, but he always wore a pleasant smile and put up a happy facade. She wished she would fill the empty void in his heart, or to be there with him the next time he needed her.

"Jongsuk... "

"Wait for me. I'll be right back."