Strangers, again

If we could turn back time

The sun rays had peeked through the curtains shone onto Jongsuk's face as he snuggled under the covers. He rubd his eyes and instinctively reaches for her on the bed. Jiwon is not there. He sits up slowly and scans the room for Jiwon, she is nowhere to be seen.

He closes his eyes and runs through yesterday's occurence in his head, putting together his thoughts. Jiwon was lying beside him with her head on his shoulders and her hand over his chest. Her hair smelled nice and he likes it. Her touch was tender, and her body was soft and warm. He wants to hold her and touch her. But she is not there anymore.

***

Jiwon had arrived at Jeguk High earlier than usual that day. Because she needed to distract herself, and because things have changed. She sees Jongsuk differently now. She made her way to the library, and tried to concentrate on reading fashion news, but couldn't. She stares at the page, yet not seeing a word. She shuts her eyes, trying to get away from those thoughts. Her mind kept wandering back Jongsuk. His skins, his lips, and his touch. He was leaning close to her, and his skin brushing against hers. His lips tracing down her neck, and his breath was hot and heavy. But she needed to get Jongsuk out of her head. It was on the spur of the moment, it couldn't mean anything. It couldn't have meant anything to him.

And across the next table, she catches a conversation between Seyoung and Krystal.

"Jongsukie that jerk, he ignored my 34 messages yesterday!! Why is he so nonchalent towards me recently... _" (Seyoung)

"Ya Lee Seyoung, you should have know better if you had wanted to date Jongsuk! Hadn't you already known that already?" (Krystal)

Right. That's right. It has just affirmed her guess. Listening to the descriptions and details just wrenches her heart further. She should have known earlier, why didn't she realize before? Jongsuk, that heartbreaker, had also given the same treatment to Ye Sol, Boyoung... according to the girls. He would date the girls a few weeks before ditching them, two-timing all together, so she heard. She felt a twirl in her chest.

Dejection.

Disappointment.

And disbelief.

She blames herself for letting him tear down the icy walls she built over the years. Or surely... this cannot be the truth?

A part of her didn't want to believe what she has just heard. There were a lot of questions in her mind. Was she just another one of the girls? Was he, the heartbreaker as they described? She hoped that Jongsuk would be different. Not like Minho, to find someone new and push her aside. What was she expecting?

***

Jongsuk has arrived at school, he looks for Jiwon and finds her at the hallway. He makes sure to cross her path, and pulls her to a corner. He has been concerned, but manages to put on a smile, "Hey... Did something happen? You left without a word."

Jiwon is confused with what feelings to face him. Who is the person in front of her? Can she trust him?

She looks away,  "Let's take it that nothing happened yesterday---"

"Wae (Why)."

She couldn't answer, she couldn't speak.

She makes herself turn and walk away, because she is losing her composure. Because her eyes were wavering.

Jongsuk could only look on as Jiwon slowly disappears from the hallway, and out of his sight. Why is she avoiding him? Does she still love Mindo?

***

2 months had gone by, and the winter chill is just beginning to set in. Jongsuk and Jiwon had not been talking. Occasionally they steal glances, and their eyes would meet. But they would quickly look away and move on with their business.

Jiwon and Krystal are heading to a cafe after the class, when they pass by a group of boys playing basketball. Jiwon sees Jongsuk, and tries not to pay much attention to it. At this moment, Jongsuk swiftly intercepts the ball and scores.

"Jongsuk hwaiting!! ...Minhyuk too!" Krystal runs towards the fence and cheers on eagerly, waving her arms in the air.

Jongsuk turns his head and sees Krystal. He looks beyond her... and catches Jiwon looking at him. She flusters and quickly pulls Krystal away.

"Wae...?" Krystal is slightly annoyed by Jiwon's interruption. She wanted to stay on to watch the match and drool over the boys. There were Jongsuk, Haneul... and most importantly, Minhyuk was there. She continues her ramble and furiously walks ahead of Jiwon. While Jiwon could only think of Jongsuk, she is just starting to feel a gripping abdominal pain... Cramps? It is never been so painfully intense before. She breaks out in cold sweat, and her knees can't move. She grasps onto an elevated barricade while she has to clench her stomach with the other hand. And she could barely speak, "Krystal ya..."

Krystal turns around and is shocked to find Jiwon pale. Then, a trail of blood trickles down from Jiwon's thigh.

Krystal looks in horror and panics,  "Jiwon ya!! Let's get you to the byongwon (hospital)!"

Meanwhile, the basketball match has ended and the boys high-five at their brilliant win. Jongsuk could vaguely see from the corner of his eye that the Krystal had hurriedly helped Jiwon into a cab. What happened to her? Is she... unwell?

***

In the hospital, the nurses give a routine check up and a doctor comes up to tell Krystal, "It's a miscarriage, the fetus has passed away at 8 weeks. She is very weak now and we have to monitor her for a few days before she can be discharged."

"WHAT?! Miscarriage?" Krystal almost could not believe her ears. She becomes all flared up and barges into the room, "Ya Kim Jiwon! It must be Lee Minho that jerk!! Why have I not heard you mentioning about him these days anymore?! How could he do such a thing to you and then go after Shinhye! Does he know about this---"

"Ani ya... (No...) It is not him."

"What?! Who else would do this to you!?"

"I am tired, can I have some rest, please...?"

"Ya, Jiwonie!" 

Exasperated yet helpless, Krystal could not offer anything to help. She just clasps her lips, so she wouldn't say more to upset Jiwon. Who could it be? She blames herself for not catching up with Jiwon lately.

Thinking back, Jiwon isn't her best friend, but has been the longest around her, and one of the most independent friends of all. Since young, Jiwon is reserved and hardly talks. She looked haughty too. The younger Krystal didn't want to befriend her, but their parents would constantly bring them together. Because Jiwon would sulk and play the dolls by herself, she wouldn't play with Krystal. She also thought that Jiwon was strange, so what if Jiwon had better grades than her? But then once there was a boy who knocked over Krystal's ice cream and spilling it all over herself, making her cry. Jiwon stood up for her and scolded the boy, and immediately buying her a new ice cream. From that moment onwards, she swore to stand by Jiwon.

So Krystal leaves the room and closes the door behind her. At this moment Jongsuk walks up to her, anxiously. "Jiwon... Is she... feeling alright?"

Jongsuk had followed them in another cab. He had overheard everything the doctor said, across a corridor.

Krystal gasped, "What! Don't tell me you are the guy who puts Jiwon through this--- "

"Tell me, I really need to know, Jiwon...how is she?"

Krystal grabs her bag and uses all her might to hit Jongsuk non-stop. He does not dodge but let her hit him. "Ya you jerk! What do you think she has gone through?! She just got ditched by Lee Minho and now... you are doing this to her? How many girls have you cheated on already?"

"Ya kumanne (stop it). I miss her... I have to see her..."

"I will kill you if you hurt her again!!" She glares at him, fierce and unconvinced. 

Jongsuk opens the door and slowly approaches into the room. His eyes pained. Jiwon is lying on the bed, looking pale and drained.

"Ya... Kim Jiwon."

 

 

===========================================================

Author's note:

Hi! First time writing an author's note... I am excited.. :)

Here's writing an advance apology for a longer next-update! Have been very, very busy with my full time job, so I doubt I have time to write the next chapter until 2-3 weeks time. So please be patient!

And I hope I won't disappoint. Thank you readers... ^^