Goodwill

Chasing Ms. Impenetrable

Chapter Three

"Are you ing out of your mind?" 

Redge gripped on the edge of the bed, keeping herself calm despite the ruckus. It's not like she isn't used to witnessing fist fights when she lived for five years already with guys whose tempers were as short as her hair. By the center of the room was Sehun, who just grabbed Chanyeol by the colar of his shirt while Tao and Baekhyun were trying to hold the enraged one back in case he decides to smash the taller's face who was then scared as and about to piss his pants. "I...I'm sorry, Sehun. I was left with no choice."

"You know very well how it's never okay to have any business with that man, hyung. How could you!?" So apparently, a friendship between the two is at stake when Chanyeol a.k.a. wisest man in Korea decided to give out informations to Jongin. The accused was on the verge of crying his out of regret as he noticed that Sehun was even angrier at him for that than when he once crashed his new car on a fence of a public park. He could not possibly think what nasty things are running in the younger's mind right when what he has done in offense to the love of his life was just revealed. He could still remember when Redge got hurt months ago when they tag her along a soccer game causing Sehun to turn into an angry bull towards their group. He sometimes forget who the older one really is.

"But he used the F word on me! I had to spill." He explained a bit backing off and readied himself with an arm shield if by huge chance Sehun frees the waiting jab on his fist. "He was about to kill me if I said nothing back there!"

Everyone paused and gaped at his statement. What is this talking about? Jongin could not possibly kill anyone. Assuming how exaggerated Chanyeol could be at times.

"What nonsense are you talking about now, hyung?"

"Really! I'm telling the truth, guys!" Sehun freed the older who was halfway to suffocation and let out an exasperated sigh, giving his abused hyung the chance to speak. "Back at the coffee shop, he saw us bidding goodbyes. And when I was about to dump the trash at the back alley, he was already there waiting for me." He sat wrecklessly on the floor with his wrinkled clothe as if finally claiming a sense of relief after his fiesty dongsaeng just rummage his peace. "He threatened me,. Don't you know how hard that was for me?" He said rather dramatically hoping for the rest to show him sympathy but to no avail. They sciffed at his shallow reason.

"So technically, you were a chicken?" Baekhyun huffed with an eye roll in disbelief. He could not rely on Chanyeol's exaggerated stories. Not when once he had caused a scene screaming there was fire in the middle of the street. There really was, in fact. But it was as tiny as a child's pee pee and yet he ran like a mad man as if it was gonna kill him. Idiot.

Though pride was hurt, he nodded slowly into admitting it. Jongin wasn't really mean and yet he was too scared back then that he ended up spilling restlessly that even the insignificant informations were dispersed. If he could only not freak out at times like that, he could live without bumps on his head and bruises from Sehun. 

"Still! You could have lied or something. You should not have given him the address to the clinic. Look what you've done." Sehun growled but was governing his temper in order not to kill Chanyeol at the very moment. 

"That's what I just did! I did not give him the address to the clinic. I gave him Redge's apartment address instead, so he could not bother us during working ho--" "

"You freaking what!???"

On second thought, it was the perfect time and place to kill a nitwit. They were at the hospital. Maybe he could just kill him and rush him to ER right after so the doctors could revive him. He could even do that on a cycle and feel guilt-free all the while.

In a span of seconds. They heard choking sounds from the tallest.

"Oh ing Sehun, stop it! You're gonna kill the idiot!"

"Let go of me, Baekhyun hyung. That's exactly what I am trying to do!" Sehun's hands strangling Chanyeol's neck while Baekhyun pulls him back. it was a mess and redge worried that the nurse might shoo them out for they were causing too much noise that wasn't a very good deal for the patient beside her. How much of a wimp could Chanyeol be? She sighed internally at the sight. But she could not blame it all on Chanyeol. He has always been a good friend. If only he isn't too much of a nincompoop most of the times. In fact, these guys were the only ones she have, including the frail one on the ned who's shaved his hair shorter that gives him the boyish look despite being fible for his ill.  He was chuckling at the younger ones in front of him.

"They never settle things quietly."  He said in a soft voice while he watch enthusiastically the scene before them and Redge nodded. Tao was now being strangled by Baekhyun. He accidentally poked the smaller one in the eye when they were in the middle of restraining Sehun earlier which caused the victim furious. Sehun and Chanyeol were now the ones keeping the two from killing each other. 

The bickers were ridiculous  and she shifted her attention to the man beside her, muting the noise out, setting the bunch of whiney grown ups aside since she knew they could only banter for a few minutes more before they start crying in guilt to each other's arms reciting cliched apologies and girly messages. She shrugged at the excessive bromance that 's about to come. 

"They just can't live mute, right? Baekhyun's too naggy. Chanyeol 's such a . Tao is a hundred percent crybaby. And of course--" The patient paused and held his temples disapprovingly as if his head hurts on his next words. "...my brother's a dynamite. He really can't control his temper." Although his statement was as considerate and soothing as ever like how they used to be. Indeed he was the loving hyung of the group. He was Oh Sehun's loving brother.

"Sometimes I really wonder why you're so different with your brother?" Redge chuckled with a dry humor. Remind me how they become brothers again?

"Sehun's still a baby!" The male whispered comically though his body was weak due to Chemo Therapy he just undergone the former day..

"I heard that, Luhan!" Sehun's voice reverberated. It irked him everytime his older brother would call him baby which was then well liked by Luhan since he treats him like a kid up until now. Redge was giggling at the sight of the two brothers. She knew well how the two possess contrasting traits and character though there was one thing the same about them--they liked the same girl. Though it didn't do harm to their bond. It's not like Redge likes at least one of them for the couple to fight about it. Besides, the older was too sick to generate rivalry with the younger and they love each other too much though they don't say it out loud--it's a manly brothers' thing.

"That's Luhan hyung to you, you big whiny baby." It garnered laughter from each one in the room while Sehun pouted defeatedly with knitted eyebrows. They were just easing the gloomy mood that would normally take place at a room of a dying patient. Luhan never wanted for the others to pitty him or even treat him like he's disabled, although sometimes he is when the therapy would just his energy almost to bottom or when his lungs would hurt.

Suddenly, Luhan's laughter died down as he turned to Redge with a serious face. "He's making his way back to you." He smiled weakly and held her hand. "Don't stress yourself too much. You know it's bad for your condition." He paused. "I know it's hard for you, and Sehun wouldn't like it, but you should at least try to forgive."

Her lips tightened and she nodded adjutantly. It was only Luhan whom she listens too. After all he's the first person to offer a hand in times of stumbles, a hanky in times of pain, and a heart though she could not give the exact same back. She was most grateful to have him as a friend and she wish she could just love him back the way he does to her. "It's for your own good, Redge." He smiled soothingly and carressed the back of her hand with his thumb. "Just try. Hmm?"

She smiled hesitantly, hence, she wasn't sure if she could.  


"Wait!" He ran, tripping down the stairs. Barely clinging on the rails, he said, "I'll do anything. Just don't ignore me."

          

Redge, filled with discomfort, timidly hung her head low, peeking at anything on the empty floor, hiding her face away from the man who ridiculed her years ago, when her clothes scarcely covered her indecent state and her heart sent to the deepest home of shame and heartbreaks. She has expected for him to come right after when Chanyeol revealed how he carelessly gave her apartment address to Jongin. He came running after her on the stairs.

 

She agreed before that nothing was left for the both of them. All ended that day. Her days spent all to herself, since, not sparing any words to other people unless required, shutting all the possible inlet to her thoughts, from the smallest holes to windows until doors—all sealed. What's left to talk about, anyway? It has been clear. There would never be 'them.' Not when she trusted him and all he did was betrayal. Until one day when a bunch of warm guys was introduced to her. They took care of her and helped her in gaining her confidenxe back to start a new life. They were her family.

 

"Redge,"

 

As much as she wanted to take out all the unnecessary in her life, she couldn't, although she thought she had. Let alone, with him trying to dig a mole route disturbingly into her thoughts again, or should she say, even more. It would be a whimsical lie if she say he did not cross her head ever since they met at the coffee shop because, truth is, he did every agonizing second whether spent at the clinic or home or Starbucks or with freaking psychiatrist—yes, that may be a petty thing, yet she spent years with one just to help recover from all the trauma. But not so surprisingly, it did not. It was Jongin and still him torturing her self-conscience even just with his nose-scrunching smiles that were never meant for her, and yet, here the beautiful son of a is again, crawling his way up to her. What does he want? She was at a total shambles for a long time, is he not contented yet of what he's done?

 

She let her feet past each other and started walking away, knees  wobbly and chest contracting, ignoring—or at least acting like it—his words and make-believes. 

 

"I am sorry." She heard him stumbled a few steps down from the lips of the staircase until she feel his shy hands on her arms. During those softening moments, she knew there was nothing but sincerity, candor, passed his sly yet reliable lips. This couldn't be this easy, right? She asked herself in disbelief. She refused to look at him—she doesn't want to unmask a sudden breakdown to him just by those simple words, hell. She would not want that, after what he did to her. She will not feed his egotistical brain what it wants.

          

It's not a matter of histrionics that she wanted to explode and yell at him, but, something else, something much deeper and it is not rage nor revenge. Now, what is it?

 

"I know, I don't deserve even a tiny bit of your time. But I'm still hoping." His cushioning arms s over her body, as if a shield from all his misdeeds against her, all his bulls he had disposed to her, embracing her as if saying, "I regret everything and I love you." How could she? How dare she? This should not be like this, but why does she feel like giving in already? She is not that stupid to believe his words, but more than half of her wants to be stupid enough to trust him once more. Should she?

 

"Stop messing me up, Jongin." Great. Keep that up, Redge. You're doing good.

        

"I am not. But at least, give me this chance to clear things up."  His face landed on her shoulder, and arms tightened even more from her back. Everything's been clear, Jongin... at least, until you came running to me asking for forgiveness, and perhaps, love? The next thing happened caught her surprised as she felt heavy droplest of liquid soaking the fabric that was hovering her shoulder. Is he crying? She reassured her query when she heard sobs from the back her ear. Why? Why would of all people, you, cry? Was not that supposed to be her, weeping after all he had done to her? The situation was ironic, but stupidly, she wanted to let it slip. It is not every day she would see a different side of this man. She could be considered as the luckiest girl to have seen him cry. Let alone, in her shoulder. She doubted if Krystal even saw him shed a single tear. Kim Jongin, the bad , school heartthrob and heart-breaker, never cries. That was for sure, until now. 

 

"Give me chance... to make things right." Things? What things? We don't have a thing, even more, "things." Confusion clouded her mind, but the comfort of his body emitting warmth to hers at a very close gap eased her.

 

"Please stop playing with me." She begged as she fight the urge to give into his plea. She turned to face him. Each tear that distilled from his peepers, sent jabs on her chest. It was nothing but sincere. Why? She prayed to God for an answer. Why? Why was she feeling bad for him? She shouldn't!

 

"I know I was a big jerk. I know I am everything but good. But I swear, Redge... The next things I'm gonna say are not lies." 

 

She gulped in as she tried to concentrate on his words while his bawling orbs were locked with hers. More to her surprise, his hand glazed with hers and was lead to his beating chest. Mixed emotions tortured her wits. This is too much to absorb. The last time he was everything that're evil to her eyes and the next was this. However, ironically and she didn't know why she didn't want to see him like that—fragile and hurting.

 

"I was so afraid to back there, that morning..." He pulled her to his chest. "...I was a coward. I know, Redge.  I know... I was afraid of anything more than what we had before 'cause everything started to feel more serious between us, and I was scared I would ruin everything that's constant in my life. I had to say all those stupid things to you and endure every dire second without you, because I was a big big coward. I don't want to lose you in such a way but I realized I am freaking wrong. I was stupid. Those things I said and did to you is the biggest mistake I have ever had. You are anything but nonsense... It was a big mistake. You're my angel, and you are the most loyal and loving girl I have ever known... and the prettiest," He admitted as he paused to breath for a while and his hug tightened to her waist. His tears now soaking her hair wet, as his lips brushed against his hairline as he spoke his heart out. 

 

"I can't do this anymore, Redge. When I saw you back at the hospital, I said to my self... 'I will make everything up to this girl. I will do everything for her forgiveness.' And I want nothing but nice things for you." He sobbed audibly. "Sorry. Please don't run away from me... angel. No more running. Stay with me, like you used to." He kissed her hair and clung to her like his life depended on the stunned girl.

 

"A...are you... are you drunk, Jongin?" She asked as scent of alcohol flooded her nose.

 

No answer.

       

"You're just drunk." She argued as she pushed him softly which he dodged.

 

"That's why you should listen to me more." He smiled with his tear-soaked face that boasts a deep hint of red. The next thing she knows, his lips was dancing against hers. Churning started to take over her stomach, as what felt to be butterflies playing trip to Jerusalem inside. The feeling was odd. Ocean waves clashing, fire torched inside her chest, rockets launching off to the moon, bunnies cooing against her heated cheeks, love ruminating her whole presence—love? 

 

"I love you." Eyes closed, he whispered sincerely against that sent shivers all over her body. It was the first time she's heard him say it for her.

 

"No--"

 

"Don't argue. I know better." He pressed a finger against her lips when she was about to speak. "I love you, Redge." He repeated.

 

She still can't believe a single thing that happened or he had said. A tear dripped from her eye. She knows everything was true. But she has not the courage to tolerate the feeling for his misdeeds no matter how long has it passed.

 

"The hell, Jongin! You have a family! Just go home to Krystal, okay? Stop bothering me. Just--Please!" She started pulling herself back but he even tighten his arms on her body with furrowed eyebrows. "What!? No. What are you--" 

 

He halted as he tried to comprehend where were her words coming from. "Okay, look, Redge. Krystal and I are no longer together."  

 

The force that the pained girl once was excerting to get away died down as she magically eased upon his statement.

 

"B--but, you two have a... a baby." She wasn't sure why was she even arguing about it, yet she let herself.

 

He shook his head as he relived the memories in his mind. 

 

He said once before, back on their senior year, "Let's stop. Let's just be true to ourselves and admit that nothing will work out for us. Not when we've hurt someone so badly." Krystal just stood there, tears spilling down her skin, hands trembling as she searched for a tongue to speak. "I... I know, oppa." She sobbed on her palms as if there was nothing good that ever existed around her. 

 

"I was eaten with anger. I hated you. I hated Redge and all the while I thought I was the victim. That all of you betrayed me, but I am wrong." He patted her shoulder so kindly while nodding, finally feeling a sense of relief that the realization for the girl has finally came. Although he knew that it wasn't really Krystal whom he loves, he stood by her side within years just to make sure she'll be okay. After all, she was also a victim of this set up. She may appear cold and wicked but he could never forget that she was once a sweet girl who just unfortunately fell for the wrong guy. And he's responsible for her hurt.

 

"I am so sorry, oppa. I did a terrible thing to Redge, I am so sorry. I pushed you into these things..." Her head landed on his chest and he caressed her hair, this time with a brotherly-loving touch. "Shh... I understand. You were hurt. I'm so sorry, Krystal. I turned you into someone you're not."

 

"O...oppa, I am a total mess right now. I know it's not me anymore, but...can you just stay with me? I'm scared."

 

"What are you scared of, huh?" He tilted her head so they could see each other's faces.

 

"I...I'm pregnant."

 

He would never forget those tormenting seconds comprehending of what would he do when he got Krystal pregnant? But when her lips uttered a different name, he was reborn. 

 

"With--" 

 

The train of accounts in his head was shook off when he was derived by a loud voice coming from the back. It called his name in a harsh and anguish tone and when he whipped his head back, a strong force hit his face.

 

"Sehun, wait!" His vision went blurred and he could hear Redge's anxious voice.

 

"Stay away from Redge, you jerk." He saw Sehun towering him as he lay on the cold floor with a swollen face. Foot steps soon came nearer and nearer and he found the group of boys surrounding him. By this time, their faces were familiar. It took a short while before he felt dirty shoes kicking whichever part of his body. He crouched and curled to protect himself though it did only a little help. Despite the pain surging in his muscles and his consciousness dying out, he could hear Redge's voice. She's crying. She's crying his name. 

 

 


Author's Note:

Are you happy'? Huh? Huh? There goes Redge and Jongin's moment :) But you can't sit back and relax just yet. You can't be too sure she's given in already. Or did she? :)))))))))) The next will be a bit sad, don't rejoice just yet. We've a long road to go. Hahahaha