First Steps

A Forest's Memory

30 Years later...

 

"Peanut? Peanut!" Of course, like always when I had to go somewhere this little bundle of fur and energy was nowhere to be found. "Peanut, if you don't come out of your hiding place I see no other way than leaving without you! Do you want that? Do you want me to leave without you?"

I waited.

10...9...8...7...

Barking, this caramel colored being called Peanut came running towards me with his dark eyes sparkling like the sun.

"Where have you been hiding, hm?" I knelt down to him to put on his dog lead. Immediately he started wiggling with his tail and made whimpering noises as if he wanted to tell me exactly where he was. "It's OK, it's OK." I laughed, "We'll get our stuff and then leave, alright my boy?"

"Are you already leaving?" Grandmother walked into the living room and had a small smile on her lips. She seemed tired.

"We are." Peanut and I shuffled over to her. "Maybe we will find out what this mysterious box is. Right, P?" My dog barked one time, giving me his approval.

"Please just take care of yourself, will you?"

"I promise. We will be home sooner as you might think." She took a hold of my hand and pulled something out of the pocket of her blue cardigan, which looked ways to big on her small frame.

"What's that?" A puzzled look crossed my face as she gave me a bundle of papers.

"If you are in your grandfathers house...just take the time to look at those." She gave me a tender look and stepped aside.

I put the unknown papers in my backpack and followed her to the door.

"I talked to your mother." She prepared food for me, put some snacks for Peanut in my bag and even talked with mom about my plans. "She still doesn't understand why you won't take your brother with you."

"That is so her." I groaned rolling my eyes.

"I knew that. But she is just as concerned about you as I am."

"But I am not gone. I am just going to make a small vacation. Even in the same city. Plus, Peanut will keep me company." I bend down to crawl him behind his ear. He loved that.

"I am sure Peanut will protect you. He always did." My grandmother gave P a knowing look.

 

After a few more words that I exchanged with my beloved granny, I could collect all our things we needed for our stay up in the woods and gave my grandmother a warm hug before Peanut and I left for our little adventure. We waved our goodbye's and left the building complex. Who knows, maybe this little box really hides a secret to our surprise.

 

~~~~~

 

Looking at the beautiful scenery that crossed our path, we took one step after the other, inhaling the fresh and clean air that hit our nose. I could see that Peanut was just as exited as I was. His nose was on every stone, was greeting every animal that crossed his little paws. Whether it was a snail or a fly. Everyone got a cheerful hello from him. Birds that were just passing by got a loud bark as greeting.

"You seem very famous out here, huh?" I laughed as we finally found our path through the woods. The hectic and stressful life with all its cars, loud students on their phones or discussing with their friends which new band was hotter, screaming children and busy people from work was left behind. I was glad, that I was able to get some days off from work. This would not only clear my mind from all the stress that surrounded me these days, but maybe even help me understand some past things.

Why I didn't take my brother with me?

'Why should I' could be the perfect answer. We were both more like loners, our relationship wasn't the best. Well, we just don't talk to each other. Therefore i preferred to go alone. Well, rather going with no other than my little buddy here. He was like the perfect replenishment for me. My dad even told me that we would look the same...

I highly doubt that though...