Peanut

A Forest's Memory

It didn't take us long to finally set foot into the green of the forest.

After about two and a half hours, which felt like eternity, at least for me, majestic trees opened a new world for us. We were welcomed by the sounds of nature. Huge branches were giving us a great amount of shadows, which made the air feel cooler on this hot midsummer day.

Occasionally jogger crossed our way, or even some old couples enjoying the beautiful weather, too. Always having an interested face as they saw how much luggage I was carrying with me. But it was just the most important stuff. A bag with food and drinks for the next days, dog food and snacks for Peanut, a book, a bag only with clothing. Another one with things like a lighter or a pen, shower gel... you get the point. Name it and you would find it in my black hole called a woman’s handbag. Oh, and even more food. Best thing. This is going to be a food adventure for sure. My camera was hanging around my neck. The papers my grandmother gave me and the old wooden box were in my backpack.

“Ah, you know what I forgot?” The eyes of the little fur ball were starring into mine as if he understood what I was telling him. “Music. There will be no music for the next days. Do you think you can handle that?” He barked, “No? Well, I thought you would be stronger, Peanut. Guess I will have to sing you songs then.” My tongue was making a clicking sound as I shook my head in disapproval. But the only reaction I got was a snarling sound, then he turned around again and concentrated himself on the millions of scents his nose must have discovered. This little dude was in his own little world now.

Brrrr...brrr...brrr...

“Someone's calling.” Fishing for my phone, I waved it in Peanuts direction so he knew what was going on. One short look on the display of my smart phone and my mood was going down a bit. Why in earths name would she call. Now?

“Yes, Mom?”

Known for her long phone calls out of concern and interest, I decided to release my little friend from his dog lead, so he could walk on his own speed. This would surely take some time...

 

After about thirty-three minutes and a half, both of us decided, that it was still OK for me to continue my small vacation on my own. She would not send my brother after me. Nor my dad. Which I was glad of. Dad would, despite the fact of getting me back and telling me how stupid it is for a girl to take this walk all alone, definitely deny that he knows anything about the box. The box...it was strange to find it in my grandmothers house. Set between old games and old books, it was standing on a shelf. Just like a sculpture or some piece of art. But somehow I never noticed it before. Suddenly it was there. Almost starring at me, inviting me to read its secrets and all the mysteries it possibly hides beneath its wooden top. At first I thought granny bought a new casket for her jewelery, but that wasn't the case. As I mentioned the new discovered highlight of the day during a family meal, her old body seemed to be frozen in time. “That is nothing.”, she told me, faking a smile while my parents discussed something. But her eyes told me different. There had to be something hidden in the past, something she was afraid of telling me. Or in front of my parents, as they were constantly switching their glancing eyes between the both of us.

“What do you think? Is there a secret inside?” I called out to P.

But I got no answer.

 

~~~~~

 

“Peanut?" This little... "Peanut this is not funny...come back." Desperately I wandered around every tree and every blade of grass to find my companion again. But my dog was gone. From one to another second. Like a ghost. This could not be possible! “Peanut!” My voice already sounded raspy from all the yelling, but there was no other way for me to find him before the sun would set. And we still not arrived at the house of my grandfather...

While trying to find him, my eyes scanned the area again and again. Impatience was growing inside of me. Did something happen to him? Was he chasing after a rabbit? Or even caught by an animal trap? I stopped walking and put my backpack to the ground. Immediately my fingers searched for the zipper of the fabric but I stopped in my tracks. Should I really search for my phone and call my mom and talk to her again?

“Get a hold of yourself.” I told myself as I closed my backpack again. I wanted this and now I should be able to get through all of this. And no matter what, I would find Peanut.

A rustling sound in the bushes made me straighten myself. This could be him. I took my belongings and set them near the tallest tree so I would find them easier again later. Then I made my way into the shadows of the forest. Fighting against tall and small trees and their many branches, crafty stones lying on the ground and scratching tufts. But with all this eager and will to find the one I was missing, I didn't really cared where I was walking. My footsteps were heading automatically. Until... until I did this one step that ended my search. A huge root of a pine that was well hidden forced itself over my foot and made me stumble. I let out a high pitched sound as I saw that I would hit the ground as it came nearer and nearer. And then. It all went black.

 

~~~~~

 

“Human?” His voice was calm. “Human, hey. Hey, Sanna.” He knelt down beside her and watched her frame. As the body lying on the ground was not moving, nor any answer was given, he let out a desperate moan and decided to do the best he could. He picked her up.