Prologue

A Forest's Memory

"Human", he said while holding a sparkling wooden box inside his large hands, "Take this as a sign of my deference and my long-lasting gratitude towards you and your family." He knelt down bowing, showing me his thankfulness and respect. I took his present, not knowing what the future would make out of it.

Before I had the chance to thank him, both of us were interrupted by loud and heavy footsteps. Birds flying away in panic. Branches cracking with every step they took.

You have to go now!”

Why?” I did not understand. Weren't those guys gone? Promptly he stood up and tried shoving me away.

Just go! Or they'll get you, too!” His face was filled with panic and fear. Who was so eager to find him? And what did they wanted from him?

Come with me.” I offered him my left hand. My right one was still firmly holding onto his present while we started to hide in the woods. He was not going to pass this opportunity and took my hand, but as soon as he held onto it, I felt that he was leading the way.

Apologetic he tried looking into my eyes as he used an unknown force to lead us trough all the green that covered our sight. At this moment I knew, that my future would be build up on his life.

Maybe I should open the box!” I yelled while we continued running away. I didn't know why I considered this possibility, but it seemed like it was nothing that should have been mentioned. Startled he turned his face around to me, “NO! Don't open it! Not now!” His traditional clothing was rustling with every tree he brushed against. His face full of concern, he turned away from me, “Where do you live, human?”

What?!

Tell me! Where?!”

 

~~~~~

 

As we reached the house I shared with my wife, her eyes almost popped out of her head as she saw me with a young man in traditional clothing standing right in our apartment. But there was no time for explaining. We had no time anymore.

Open it.” He rushed over to the box, which was now standing on the wooden floor.

Now?”

Now.”

I did as I was told, although I had no idea what would happen next. I knelt down and opened the beautifully carved chest with my trembling fingers.

My spirit is now in your hands, human.”

What?! What spirit?!” His sudden words and the anxiety inside my body made it hard for me to understand his plan.

I will still be by your side. Please don't worry.” It started getting windy inside our living room, a scent of nature filled everything up til the hilt and with an apologetic face, the young man shifted his body towards me and my wife. “I will forever stay in your debt. Just please make sure, that nobody will get this box into their hands. Only you and your family.” He bowed one last time before his time came.

This was a deal. A deal between human and woodland deity.