FIGHT

100 Moments: The One-Shots

Original Drabble: FIGHT

Related Drabbles: IGNOREBELONG 


Eunhyuk sits at his desk at work, mindlessly watching a paper clip slide back and forth on a makeshift rubber band abacus. It’s mind-numbing, but he can’t find anything to make time pass any faster.

His Friday afternoons tend to go along like this more often than Eunhyuk likes.

There are only forty minutes left until he can go, but the twenty minutes that have already passed before that went by at a snail’s pace. He’s sure the last forty minutes will feel like an eternity.

Earlier in the day, Eunhyuk finished everything that needed to get done. He even took time to get things ready and started for Monday because it helped to kill time, but it barely helped.

Being as efficient as he is, often leads to these lulls of slow clock watching in the last hour of work; it’s not just something that happens on Fridays, but it always feels more intense on Fridays.

It doesn’t bother him too much, at least it never bothered him to the extent it does as of late.

That’s because he now has someone in his life

It’s not that he didn’t have people to hang out with before—Eunhyuk is a people person. He has many friends, but they don’t generate the level of anticipation and nerves that Donghae does.

They’ve only been together for three months, but Eunhyuk finds himself thinking about the other man, more than he’d care to admit.

At times, it makes him feel a bit like a teenager again.

He often has to stop himself from writing out Donghae’s name while he is sitting in a meeting pretending that he’s paying attention. He doesn’t want to get caught.

It’s a conversation he wants to avoid having with his boss.

Since meeting Donghae, Eunhyuk finds himself daydreaming all the time and smiling at random points of the day, thinking about the other man and already caught by his coworker and closest friend, Sungmin, on more than one occasion.

Even now as he slides the paperclip back and forth on the rubber band, he’s smiles as he thinks about Donghae and more specifically, Donghae’s eyes.

They’re Eunhyuk’s most favorite physical feature on the other man. He has a whole list of favorite things.

There’s the fact that Donghae’s shorter than Eunhyuk, which he likes, more than he should. It’s not that much of a difference between the two of them, but he really appreciates those few centimeters.

Then there is Donghae’s smile.

Eunhyuk can’t help but smile when he sees Donghae smile. It’s just an adorable upturn of the man’s lips, but it makes him look so sweet and innocent, and Eunhyuk can’t get enough of it.

High up on the list is Donghae’s .

There’s no point in trying to make a list of the attributes he likes about Donghae without including the man’s . The man always makes comments about Eunhyuk’s, but Donghae’s is much nicer.

It’s high and plump, and Eunhyuk often finds himself having to pull his hands back from the irresistible desire to grab it when Donghae’s standing in front of him. It’s slightly ridiculous, but the temptation is serious and very dangerous for Eunhyuk as it seems to always arise in public.

But it’s Donghae’s eyes that truly captivate Eunhyuk.

They were the first thing he noticed when he spotted Donghae with his friends at the club.

The lights were dim, but his eyes stood out. There was a hint of sadness in the dark irises that Eunhyuk had immediately wanted to explore. He had immediately wanted to know why he looked so sad and had wanted to fix it.

That feeling overwhelmed Eunhyuk.

It had been ages since he had felt that way about anyone, especially about someone who he didn’t know.

Eunhyuk spent that night constantly looking toward the other man, trying to stealthy stare at him without being caught by him or any of his friends. He followed him with eyes, whether Donghae was sitting with his friends or out on the dance floor.

When the man finally approached him, he couldn’t believe it, and when Eunhyuk turned around to address him, those eyes entranced him. They were so much more beautiful up close. He couldn’t help but tell the man they were beautiful.

He wanted to give Donghae everything he wanted from that moment.

Only three months have passed since that night, but Eunhyuk is 100% confident that he is in love with Donghae, more so than he thought he would by this point.

He smiles at the thought and continues to play with his makeshift toy until Sungmin breaks his concentration.

“Again?” Sungmin asks with a knowing grin. The man has known Eunhyuk since middle school and can tell what he’s thinking about, all the time; it’s an uncanny ability.

“What?” Eunhyuk asks as he drops the rubber band on his desk. He straightens up in his chair and adjusts his tie, even though he rather throw the thing across the room.

“You’re smiling to yourself again. I assume it has to do with the guy you’re seeing.”

Eunhyuk pouts playfully at his friend and his astuteness.

“Am I that obvious?”

Sungmin chuckles as he walks further into Eunhyuk’s office and takes a seat in front of him.

“I’ve known you for almost twenty years. Of course, it’s obvious to me.”

“I can’t stop thinking about him, Ming. It’s messing with my head,” Eunhyuk confesses, making Sungmin smile.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this way, even with your first crush.”

Eunhyuk spins around in his chair with his head thrown back in frustration, but the frustration comes from being stuck in the office for another half-hour.

“I can’t explain it except that I must be under some kind of spell because all I think about is him. You should see my notebook—all I do is draw the man’s eyes.”

Eunhyuk opens up a notebook on his desk and shows Sungmin the doodles of Donghae’s eyes.

“Nice list,” Sungmin smirks as he points to the left-hand side of the notebook.

Eunhyuk pulls the notebook back and realizes he’s shown Sungmin a list of things he likes about Donghae.

“Pretend like you didn’t see that.”

“Nope!” Sungmin rejects his friend’s request. “I’ll let him know about it whenever you decide to introduce him to me.”

Eunhyuk grimaces. “I’m not going to introduce him to you if you tell him.”

“Fine, I won’t tell him, but don’t forget that I know about it.”

Sungmin laughs as Eunhyuk drops his head to his desk in embarrassment.

“You’re evil,” Eunhyuk protests much to Sungmin’s delight.

“Man, you’re a goner.”

Eunhyuk bites his bottom lip as he nods his head. Sungmin is right; Eunhyuk himself acknowledged this fact early on in the relationship.

“You guys haven’t even been together that long.”

“I know,” Eunhyuk says, exasperatedly throwing his hands up in the air.

“I can’t explain it, Ming. It’s different with him.”

“Oh, I can tell,” Sungmin replies and chuckles. He crosses his legs and confidently clasps his hands on his knees as he leans back in his chair.

“Really?”

“Yeah, you didn’t get mad when he broke your TV—you loved that thing. If I knocked it over, you would have thrown me out the window.”

Eunhyuk laughs at the memory and the absurdity of Sungmin’s claims.

“I got mad,” he defends himself. “But it lasted all of five seconds once I saw how sorry Donghae was.”

“You seem to let him get away with things you wouldn’t let other people get away with it.”

“Ming,” Eunhyuk seriously addresses his best friend. He sits up in his chair and leans forward with his arms outstretched on the desk in front of him.

“Ming, I can’t deny him anything, and I don’t want to. I just…every time…he…his smile, it makes my heart race. I can’t explain it.”

“It’s not healthy to let him get his way all the time,” Sungmin explains. “Relationships are about an equal amount of give-and-take.”

“And what do you know about my kind of relationship?” Eunhyuk asks skeptically.

“Hey, just because I date women instead doesn’t mean that the core of a relationship is different in any way,” Sungmin points out.

“A relationship is like a game of Jenga. You have to be cautious and daring. You have to be willing to take away a piece and put one back. It’s all about balance.”

“Jenga?” Eunhyuk remarks haughtily.

“Yeah, Jenga, which you at, so, it’s apropos.” 

“Yah!”

Sungmin sticks his tongue out teasingly.

“I know, Ming.” Eunhyuk lowers his head.

“You know, I’m teasing, Hyuk. I just don’t want you to fall into the same pattern you did with your ex. I don’t want to see you get hurt again.”

Eunhyuk looks up at his best friend with a grateful smile. Sungmin was the one to piece him back together and pull him out of his funk when he got dumped earlier in the year.

“Thanks, man, I appreciate it.”

“Always,” Sungmin adds as he stands up and looks down at his watch.

“20 minutes to go.”

Eunhyuk looks at his computer screen to verify.

“Damn. Still!” He grumbles as Sungmin walks away. Eunhyuk can hear him laughing as he gets farther away.

Not knowing what to do with his last twenty minutes, Eunhyuk decides to see if Donghae can fill up the remaining time.

He reaches into his coat pocket for his cell phone and quickly texts Donghae.

Busy?

Eunhyuk doesn’t have to wait long for Donghae’s response.

Not really. Just waiting to go home. You?

Same…counting down the seconds ~_~

That bad?

Yes. I think it’s because I want to see you. >.<

He cringes a little at what he’s written. It’s not that they haven’t told each other they miss the other before, but Eunhyuk always feels a bit embarrassed to express it, especially because he fears that Donghae may not respond in the same way.

^_^ Me too.

Donghae’s reply brings a smile to Eunhyuk’s face. He even spins in his chair out of sheer joy for a simple emoticon and two words.

We’re meeting at 9, right?

Yeah. The bar by the movie theater. It’s right by my doctor’s office.

Eunhyuk worries a little, even though he knew about the appointment ahead of time. Donghae had been extremely sick two weeks ago but had slowly gotten better.

Are you still feeling sick?

No. I just want to make sure I can stop taking the antibiotics.

Good. I can’t wait to see you tonight. Time is going by so slow today. ㅜㅜ

Haha. ^^ Are you pouting? You’re cute when you pout.

Eunhyuk has to stop himself from squealing so as not to embarrass himself in front of his colleagues.

Who me? >.<

Yes, you. ♥

Eunhyuk smiles and feels his cheeks to find that they’re warm to the touch. He can only imagine how red they are. He silently prays that Sungmin doesn’t decide to walk back in this direction.

I’m just so bored right now.

Me too. Been playing on my phone for the last hour.

That’s better than what I’ve been doing.

And it was. Eunhyuk can’t believe he didn’t think to play a game on his phone instead.

@_@

I’ve been sliding a paperclip along a rubber band.

Haha. You win!

Eunhyuk pictures Donghae throwing his head back as he laughs. The image makes him smile for the umpteenth time that day. He finds it bizarre how often he smiles lately and all because of Donghae.

He begins to type out another text, but Donghae beats him to the punch

I’ll talk to you later. Just got told I can leave.

Absolutely. And lucky you. ㅜㅜ

See you later. ^_^

See ya.

Eunhyuk locks his phone and slips it back into his coat.

He has ten more minutes that he hopes will fly by in a blink.


Eunhyuk looks down at his phone as he waits for Donghae in front of the bar.

It’s five to nine, but he knows that Donghae likes to be right on time, and Eunhyuk never wants to repeat the disaster of their fifth date.

Everything went wrong on that night, but Donghae still called him the next day, much to Eunhyuk’s delight.

He snickers at the memory as he remembers how angry Donghae looked when the waiter spilled his dinner.

“What are you laughing about handsome?” Donghae surprises Eunhyuk who is facing the other direction.

“Hey!” Eunhyuk greets Donghae excitedly. He turns around and gives the man a quick peck on the lips.

“Have you been waiting long?” Donghae asks, and Eunhyuk can see that man is cold by the way he keeps moving in his spot.

“No. Maybe five minutes or so.”

“Okay. Let’s go inside. The doctor gave me the okay to drink.”

Eunhyuk nods his head as Donghae grabs his hand and pulls him into the bar.

There are not too many people in the bar at this time, but Donghae tells Eunhyuk that the place tends to fill up between ten and eleven. It’s why he suggested getting there early so they could get a spot at the bar.

Eunhyuk watches as Donghae removes his coat. He admires the way the man’s light blue button-down shirt stretches across his broad shoulders and lays flat against the washboard stomach Eunhyuk has kissed many times. His dark wash jeans also hug his body in ways that make Eunhyuk’s knees weak.

“You look good,” he says out loud before he realizes. Donghae turns to him with a bright smile that immediately makes Eunhyuk forget about what he’s just said.

“Thank you. You look good too, but you always do.”

Eunhyuk ducks his head down as he blushes.

“I love when you wear all black. It makes you look dangerous,” Donghae teases while staring directly at Eunhyuk.

“Don’t say stuff like that,” Eunhyuk mumbles as he lovingly pushes against Donghae’s shoulder. It causes the smaller man to stumble off his barstool.

“Why?” Donghae asks as he sits again. “I only like to speak in truths. I like you in all black, especially those pants. Are they leather?”

“No,” Eunhyuk whispers. There’s a look in Donghae’s eyes that plainly says he doesn’t honestly care about what the pants are as long as they end up on the floor later that night.

“Well,” Donghae huskily replies. “They look good on you.”

“You’re in a good mood.”

“And I hope to be in a better mood later.”

Eunhyuk’s eyes widen at Donghae’s directness. It’s nothing new by now, but it always takes him by surprise because of how innocent and naïve Donghae comes off looking most of the time.

“So, why are we out then? We could be getting to that happier place right now.”

Donghae chuckles as he calls over the bartender.

“I had a pretty crappy week at work, and I can finally drink again, so I want to let loose a little and then really let loose.”

He ends the sentence by grabbing the top of Eunhyuk’s thigh, his hand snaking close to where Eunhyuk really wants that hand to be. It makes him groan and lean closer to Donghae.

They share a quick kiss before they tell the bartender they want two beers.

“You’re frisky tonight,” Eunhyuk appraises as he moves his hand to Donghae’s knee.

“You don’t know the half of it.”

Eunhyuk chuckles and then watches as Donghae throws his head back when he takes a long swig of his beer.

“So, work that badly.”

“Always does.”

Eunhyuk rubs Donghae’s knee in a comforting motion that makes the man smile shyly.

“You obviously hate it there. Have you ever thought about quitting?”

“Like every other day, but I’m not at the place in my life where I can just quit and live off my savings.”

“I understand.”

Donghae smiles sadly, and it eats at Eunhyuk for causing it. Every so often, he catches one of these smiles from the other man, and it upsets him.  

Eunhyuk lifts his beer bottle and tilts it towards Donghae’s bottle.

“To a good night?”

“To a y night,” Donghae repeats and clinks his beer against Eunhyuk’s. He winks making Eunhyuk smirk before they both take a sip.

The two spend the next hour talking about their week and having another round of beers before Donghae suggests they play some billiards.

“I don’t think I’ve ever mastered how to play this,” Eunhyuk announces with a slight slur in his voice. It’s nothing severe, but he knows his limit and knows he won’t be drinking anymore.

“Alright, lightweight. Is this just your way of admitting your defeat already?”

“Never!” Eunhyuk declares. “I’m just letting you know that my skills are not up to snuff.”

Donghae side-eyes Eunhyuk as he looks the man up and down.

“For some reason, I think you’re bluffing.”

Eunhyuk giggles as stands up from the barstool. He shrugs his shoulders in a teasing manner that makes Donghae laugh, but Donghae abruptly goes quiet.

Eunhyuk laughs as well, but, he soon realizes that he’s the only one and Donghae has gone still.

“What’s wrong?” Eunhyuk asks.

Before Donghae answers, another voice cuts through the background music of the bar.

“If it isn’t my ex,” the voice proclaims from the other side of the bar.

Eunhyuk turns around to find a well-dressed and handsome man amongst a group of attractive people, all looking toward Donghae.

“Siwon,” Donghae growls through clenched teeth.

“He’s your ex?” Eunhyuk asks as he continues to look Siwon up and down. The man looks like he could have stepped out of the pages of a fashion magazine.

“Oh, you must be the new boyfriend,” Siwon remarks uninterestingly. “Step back, huh, Donghae?”

“What do you want, Siwon?” Donghae asks, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

“Wondering how you’ve been doing lately? You don’t look happy to see me.”

Eunhyuk immediately notices the tension between the two men.

“It’s none of your business, .”

“Oh, I see you’re still hanging out with that queen, Heechul. His dirty mouth has rubbed off on you. I wonder if it has in any other way as well?”

Donghae gets up from his seat with a murderous look in his eyes. Siwon sniggers at the display.

Siwon's reaction only serves to pique Donghae anger more. His breathing picks up, and Eunhyuk places his hand on his knee to calm him down.

“He’s nobody,” Eunhyuk tries to placate Donghae, but Siwon continues to instigate from his corner.

“Oh, I’m definitely somebody,” he slurs as he walks over to the couple. Siwon’s friends stay in their seats. The looks on their faces are indicating that this isn’t the first time Siwon’s done something like this.

“You’re a piece of ,” Donghae mutters, much to Siwon’s chagrin.

“That’s not what you were saying when you kept calling me to get back together. Do you remember all those phone calls? You crying like a little .”

This time Eunhyuk is the one to stand up. He’s momentarily rattled by how much taller the other man is, but it doesn’t deter him from shoving him away.

“Watch your mouth!” Eunhyuk warns. He’s sure the alcohol is the reason for his bravado, but he knows that his short fuse is also playing a role in this.

“Oh, the anchovy wants to fight with a shark?”

“You look more like a horse,” Eunhyuk contests causing Siwon to scoff.

Donghae rises from his seat and tries to pull Eunhyuk away from the bar.

“Ignore him,” Donghae pleads.

“You should listen to the little .”

Again, Eunhyuk tries to get in Siwon’s face.

“Excuse me? Looks more like the one pleading to get back together is you.”

“I don’t think so, sweetheart. That knows he wants all this.”

Eunhyuk clenches his hand into a fist. Donghae sees this and tries to unclench his hand with his.

“Ignore him; he’s drunk. He doesn’t even know what he’s saying,” Donghae implores.

“Ignore him? He’s a jackass. What right does he have to say those things to you?”

Donghae shakes his head and takes his seat; Eunhyuk follows suit. They try to ignore Siwon who keeps walking around them, but Eunhyuk ultimately fails.

“You think you can just ignore me,” Siwon brazenly interrupts. “That’s fine. Enjoy it, for now, anchovy. He’ll try to crawl back to me, soon enough. He’s a like that.”

All Eunhyuk can see is red. Before he can talk himself out of it and before Donghae can stop him, Eunhyuk jumps and punches Siwon square in the jaw.

“Eunhyuk!” Donghae screams out as the other man shakes his hand in pain.

However, before Eunhyuk can really complain about the pain, Siwon er punches him.

It sends Eunhyuk flying into the bar, where he scratches his forehead against the wood paneling.

Eunhyuk gets up to go after Siwon, who is now surrounded by his friends, but Donghae holds him back.

“Leave it alone, Hyuk.”

“Yeah, Hyuk. Leave it alone,” Siwon arrogantly calls out from his corner.

Eunhyuk lunges forward, but Donghae pulls him back by his shirt.

“Let’s just go.”

Eunhyuk sighs in frustration as he takes heed of what Donghae wants. He grabs his coat and waits for Donghae to get his.

They each walk out of the bar slowly as they put their coats on.

Once they are outside, each of them apologizes.

“Wait, what are you apologizing for?” Eunhyuk asks. He grimaces as he feels the tear in his lip.

“Oh jeez, you’re bleeding. Let’s grab a cab,” Donghae ignores Eunhyuk’s question and passes him a tissue from his pocket.

He walks to the curb and manages to hail a taxi quickly enough, so they don’t have to wait out in the cold for too long.

Once inside the cab, Donghae gives the driver his address.

“I’m sorry you got hurt, Hyuk,” Donghae apologizes again.

 “I should be apologizing,” Eunhyuk mumbles around the tissue in his mouth. “I let my temper get the best of me, but that guy was such an .”

“Sorry about Siwon.”

Donghae hangs his head and refuses to look at Eunhyuk, but the other man won’t let him sulk. Eunhyuk lifts Donghae’s head and turns it to face him.

“It’s not your fault that your ex is a jackass. Was he always like that?”

“No,” Donghae sighs. “He was actually really nice, but then he turned into a complete douche.”

“No kidding.”

Donghae chuckles lightly, and it makes Eunhyuk grin. However, the pull on his lips causes him pain, and he whimpers.

“Oh crap. Try not to talk, Hyuk or your lip is going to keep bleeding. We also need to get ice on your jaw soon—it’s already starting to swell.”

All Eunhyuk can do is whimper as he keeps his mouth shut until they reach Donghae’s apartment.

“Wait in the living room while I go get some rubbing alcohol and ice.”

Eunhyuk nods as he takes note at how much larger the apartment looks now that the kitchen table is gone.

The memory of why it’s missing almost causes Eunhyuk’s lip to bleed again.

“Why are you smiling now?” Donghae asks as he takes a knee in front of Eunhyuk.

He grimaces as he notices the bruise on Eunhyuk’s jaw.

“I’m so sorry, Hyuk," Donghae apologizes for the third time. He leans forward and lightly kisses the bruise. He places an ice pack he finagled using a food storage bag along Eunhyuk’s jaw.

Eunhyuk groans at the cold sensation and grabs to hold on to the bag.

“Stop apologizing, Hae. That guy had it coming. Who is he to speak to you like that?”

“He could kill you,” Dongahe reprimands as he prepares two cotton pads with rubbing alcohol.

“This is going to sting,” he warns Eunhyuk before placing the cotton pad on the cut on the corner of Eunhyuk’s lip and another on his forehead.

Again, Eunhyuk hisses in discomfort.

“I can hold my own. He just got lucky.”

Donghae looks seriously at Eunhyuk as he places a liquid bandage on the scratch on Eunhyuk’s forehead.

“You don’t need to fight my battles.”

“You’re my boyfriend, of course, I should stand up for you,” Eunhyuk proclaims.

Both men’s eyes widen in surprise.

Even though they’ve been dating for three months, it’s the first time either one of them has acknowledged the other as “boyfriend.” Each of them has thought it to themselves but has never said it.

“Boyfriend?”

“Um…you know..if...maybe...yeah, I mean unless—”

“No,” Donghae cuts Eunhyuk off. “I like that. I like that a lot.”

Eunhyuk leans forward and kisses Donghae, but he pulls back almost immediately.

“That really hurt.”

Donghae chuckles as he stands up and grabs Eunhyuk’s hand.

“Let’s get you a painkiller and get you to bed, boyfriend.”