Baby It's Cold Inside

Star Crossed

 

 

                “Baby It's Cold Inside”

 

    Two months have passed since Chanyeol moved with Ji Eun. As sad as it is, he still hasn’t remembered anything. Although, Chanyeol still constantly has dreams about an unfamiliar girl every single night. For the past few months Ji Eun has been taking Chanyeol to places they’ve both grown to love, but they would just end up being disappointed at the fact that Chanyeol really can’t remember anything. Ji Eun tried to take Chanyeol to the places they were at before the accident, but Chanyeol just ended up with a headache. Chanyeol felt sharp headaches every time he forces himself to remember something. After a few days, Chanyeol had made a decision, he wanted to stop trying to remember. He had decided that he’d just wait for his memory to come back naturally. Chanyeol felt tired, he didn’t want to try any longer, and he didn’t want Ji Eun and himself to keep getting hurt. As soon as he made the decision, he told Ji Eun. Ji Eun didn’t take it in nicely. She felt useless and scared. Useless in a sense that she wasn’t able to help him remember anything at all and the fact that all they were left with was a day filled with heartaches, disappointment, and wasted time, scared that Chanyeol would leave her permanently and be with Daeun.

    “It’s Christmas in three days Yeol!” Ji Eun told Chanyeol as she made breakfast.

“And..? I mean, did we have anything planned for that day? Do I get to go home?” he replied rudely.

With his answer, Ji Eun stormed out of the kitchen feeling a strong pain in her chest. These past few days haven’t been bright for Ji Eun and Chanyeol. The two argued like cats and dogs everyday. They would try to carry on a normal conversation, but they would always just end up arguing. Ji Eun’s nights became endless and full of tears. Chanyeol’s felt uneasy as well. He always somehow felt guilty every time they argued.



Christmas Day

 

The two individuals bumped into each other early Christmas morning after trying to avoid each other for three straight days.

“Hey, um... Good morning.. uh Merry Christmas..” Chanyeol greeted Ji Eun.

“You too..” Ji Eun replied quietly. The two haven’t communicated since their little argument 3 days ago.

“I’m going to dinner with Daeun tonight.” Chanyeol broke the silence. Ji Eun nodded but didn’t say anything. She felt a lump forming in . She felt like crying and breaking down in front of him, but she held it in.


 

6:30 pm

    The house was left empty and cold. Ji Eun sat on her couch and watched television. Mrs. Park came to visit earlier and brought her a fruit basket. Mrs. Park found out Chanyeol was spending the night with Daeun and got angry. Ji Eun tried to stop her from calling him and told her it was okay. Ji Eun’s parents were out of town, but didn’t forget to greet her. They sent her a necklace and some flowers.

 

9:00 pm

Chanyeol came back home and found Ji Eun sitting alone on the couch, drinking wine.

“No Plans?” Chanyeol hesitated on asking.

“You left me,” Ji Eun thought, but kept it in.

“Ji Eun, are you alright?” Chanyeol asked.

“Do I seem fine?” These words running through her mind, but never leaving .

“Look, I know we haven’t been getting along for these past few days.. I’m sorry..” Chanyeol tried to apologize. “What can I do to make it right?”

“Nothing. Nothing, Chanyeol!” Ji Eun finally spoke up.

“God, Ji Eun! I’m trying to fix things between us! I’m sorry!” Chanyeol said slamming the table in front of him in frustration, causing Ji Eun to stand up from the couch. Ji Eun looked at Chanyeol with an emotionless face. Chanyeol couldn’t quite decipher what Ji Eun was feeling at the moment.

“Trying?” Ji Eun thought. “Trying, Yeol? You call that trying?” Ji Eun spoke up. “When you decided to give up on me a month ago.. do you call that trying? Whenever you went out with Daeun, is that trying? Yeol, I’m trying! You’re not, and it’s not fair! I can’t help a person who’s not trying at all!”

“If you think I’m not trying to remember our past.. you’re wrong!” Chanyeol scowled back.

“Shut up! Shut up, Chanyeol! Just stop your crap! It won’t fix anything anymore! I’m so tired! You never..” With her last few words, she kept quiet. She threw her words away just like he threw away his memories. Ji Eun was so frustrated. She took her wine glass and threw it to the wall causing Chanyeol to jump in surprise.

“Just please… leave…” Ji Eun said stumbling on her words

“The scars from the accident are nothing compared to the scars you left me.” Ji Eun quietly said.

Chanyeol walked towards the door heavily. He hesitated on leaving at first, but went on. Ji Eun fell to the ground crying. Ji Eun was once again left alone crying all night. She called Mrs. Park to let her know that things between Chanyeol and her were officially over. Mrs. Park couldn’t believe the news, she cried in disappointment and couldn’t believe the way her son acted. Mrs. Park made sure to apologize for her son’s actions.

 

December 26, 2012

 

           Ji Eun cried all night thinking about what had happened that night. The next morning, Ji Eun decided she’s had enough of tears, so she went to Chanyeol’s room and packed his things. Doing so broke Ji Eun in half. While packing Chanyeol’s things, she told herself it was okay and that he wasn’t worth it repetitively. As she closed the last box, she heard the doorbell ring. Ji Eun stood up, wiped her tears and answered the door. She was surprised to see who was standing in her doorway.

           “Hi, Merry Christmas Ji Eun!” Joonmyun greeted hugging Ji Eun.

           “Hi! Merry Christmas as well, come in!” Ji Eun greeted trying to hide her swollen eyes, hoarse voice, and stuffy nose.

Joonmyun looked around and found three securely packed boxes in the living room.

           “Where’s Chanyeol? Whose boxes are those? Are you guys moving out?” Joonmyun asked in curiosity, making eye contact with Ji Eun. Joonmyun then noticed Ji Eun’s swollen eyes, his heart broke.             

           “Ji, are you alright?” Joonmyun asked pulling Ji Eun into a tight, comforting hug.

           “He left… last night….” Ji Eun replied sobbing.

           “That jerk…” Joonmyun said angrily.

           “No… it was my decision. I broke it off last night. He was no longer trying, Joonmyun and all we did was fight these past few months. We both just end up getting hurt,” Ji Eun replied, breaking down.

Joonmyun and Ji Eun stayed hugging in the middle of the living room. Ji Eun cried into Joonmyun’s chest while Joonmyun lightly wrapped his arm around Ji Eun’s neck and the other on her back rubbing it to calm her down.

           “Ji Eun?” The two unlatched and turned to the door. There they saw Chanyeol standing looking surprised.

           “What are you doing here you bastard?” Joonmyun angrily asked.

           “None of your business. What are you doing here?” Chanyeol asked emphasizing on the word ‘you.’ The two men were head to head and were both raging with anger.

           “Doing what you’re supposed to be doing..” Joonmyun replied smirking at Chanyeol. Chanyeol scowled at Joonmyun and stepped closer pulling Joonmyun’s shirt. Ji Eun could see the anger in both men’s eyes. Chanyeol pulled his arm back about to punch Joonmyun when Ji Eun spoke up.

           “Let go Chanyeol! Let go and leave!” Ji Eun screamed.

           “Oh, I see. Ji Eun, I was just gone for a few hours and now you’ve found somebody new?” Chanyeol averted his eyes to Ji Eun.             

           “Joonmyun understands. He’s always here, unlike you.” Ji Eun replied crying in frustration. “You’re never here. You’re always with Daeun pretending everything’s alright. Pretending as if you don’t see me crying at night because you decided to give up….” Silence filled the atmosphere. “Just leave!” Ji Eun said trying to control her sobs.

           “I came here to collect my belongings,” Chanyeol said rudely.

           “Those boxes are yours. After you grab them, leave,” Ji Eun quickly replied.

Chanyeol walked towards the boxes bumping Joonmyun in the chest. The two men, who used to be the closest friends, looked at each other with death glares.

Joonmyun stayed for a bit and calmed Ji Eun down. Ji Eun was able to stand up and wipe her tears. After a bit, she realized that after all she can’t keep fighting for someone who’s willing to lose.