Chapter Two: Cafeteria Antics

Weirdo

  'English, class #1! Hwaiting Jangmi!' she assured herself, before determinedly walking over to her seat, setting her books down, and placing her pencil case perfectly along the top right corner of the desk. She closed her eyes, swirled her hand around in the minimal blue case, and selected a plain yellow wood pencil. She didn't fancy the lead pencils with changing lead and fixing them, and so limited herself to the regular pencils from the convenience store. Not the richest person.

  She sniffed the sweet pinkish wood, and sighed happily diverting her attention to the teacher entering the classroom. The class stood and bowed as usual, and began class. 

  "Hello class! Today, we're going to be studying Aesop and what he wrote during his fabulous life," Ms. Lee exclaimed animatedly, then giving a sigh dreamily. The class groaned saying this was English not History, where they couldn't pass notes without drill sergeant Mr. Yang in Social Studies. 

  After all her classes, Jangmi stretched and headed towards the cafeteria. She did have a friend, but that one friend is completely irrelevant to our story at the moment. And so, we'll just tell you her name is Lena and leave it at that. Regardless, Lena had a different lunch schedule at 1:00, so they didn't get to meet up and chat during mealtime. Jangmi headed toward the cafeteria, checking the nearest clock. Coincidentally, on Lay's wrist thoroughly creeping him out and earning dirty glances from fangirls and mostly Hyemi.  9:25. Damn, most of lunch was already over. But it pays to have to stay after class and act like a teacher's pet. That way, she escaped most trouble. 

  She jumped into the nonexistent line(everybody already got lunch), grabbed a plastic tray, and got her lunch, a roll of kimbap, a granola bar, and a can of apple juice. Jangmi started heading towards the empty lunch table where the loners sat. The only one there was a ruffled boy sleeping and coincidentally, Sarang on an empty pouch of Caprisun in boredom. Jangmi plopped down next to her staring in wonder at her American lunch. She looked at her in surprise, and inwardly smiled for some company and the only person who's been nice to her the entire year.

  "Do you want me get you some ddalgi uyu? It's yummy," Jangmi offered with a grin in broken English, reverting back to Korean for strawberry milk unsure of the translation. Sarang nodded, and as Jangmi was heading back with her change in hand she didn't notice a sly foot sticking out from the popular table in the center of the cafeteria where Hyemi "just so happened" to insist on sitting there. The kingkas didn't often deny her what she wanted to try and seduce them because it never worked and was just easier that way. 

 SCREECH, Jangmi tripped being caught by a toned arm at the last moment. With a bow, she looked up. It was Chanyeol, the guy who took pride in the fact that he "lifted"? But confused, like the dumb person she is, she began thanking Hyemi for catching her when she tripped profusely. Hyemi had been the one to turn around and stick out her foot, amd became confused pushing Jangmi. Chanyeol explained he had caught her, feeling a bit awkward.

  "Ah, thank you Cha-nyeol ssi." she flustered, noticing Baekhyun next to him, the guy who had a cold. That's what oblivioius Jangmi thought.  

  "I stuck out his arm for you. So he was like a robot but I was the controller," Baekhyun laughed awkwardly, Chanyeol joining in. 

  "And it's Chan-yeol not Cha-nyeol." he mumbled. 

  "Oh, thank you Baekhyun ssi and mianhae CHAN-yeol ssi." she laughed. "Baekhyun ssi, you still have a cold?"

  "H-huh?" 

   "Your cheeks are red," she pointed out. "Really red." she then placed her palms on his scarlet face. Warmshe thought.

    "Ah, y-yeah..." he smiled, rubbing the back of his neck.

   "Bye!~" she said resuming her quest towards Sarang who was now placing her forehead on her arms.

   After she left, the teasing began. "Your cheeks are red. Really red." Chen guffawed in a false high pitched falsetto. 

~~~

  'Revenge is a dish best served cold, Sarang. Be patient, calm down. You can pay her back for flirting with Chanyoel later'

  "Anyeong Sarang-ah! Soh ri I teuk soh lung to get bak!" Jangmi exclaimed, handing Sarang the drink.

  "Ah, th-thanks." Sarang barely mustered up a smile through her anger.

  "Is something wrong?" Jangmi asked concerned. One of her only strengths is telling how people feel.

  "W..." Sarang decided to come clean,"Why were you flirting with Chanyoel ssi?" she bit her lip crying a little bit.

  'whoa', she thought. "I wasn't," she whispered confused. Seeing the sincerity in her expression, she laughed a little. "Ah, ok, I'm sorry. But just so know you, I like him. Don't flirt with that guy!" she whispered cheerfully.

  "Arasso," Jangmi nodded solemnly, putting her hand over her heart and saluting. 'Let's not talk to Chanyeol if she thinks that alone is flirting...' she vowed to herself, making Sarang laugh and slap her arm lightly. It was a good day for Jangmi...

  She made her first friend at lunch.

~~~

  'Ah! So nice~' she thought, arriving at home and plopping down in her backyard. One of the only things her parent left her was the house and their belongings. Though they had been a poor family, their rich friend had given them all they had. She rolled around in the pillowy, lush green grass and crossed the line to the tall meadow grass, some of it prickly and yellow the other ones long and soft. A mouse dashed across her stomach, making her laugh. She rolled back over to the soft grass on the other side of the gigantic yard, and was deciding where to study. 'The wisteria tree, lawn chairs, slide, swings, willow, pine, Jefferson pine, cherry, orange, persimmon, or the one with a really nice perch in the branches?' She instead trotted over to the old tire swing, and began studying.

~~~

  'Aish...' Baek thought, shifting from foot to foot on Jangmi's wraparound porch. 'What do I do?' He readjusted his bookbag uncomfortably and ran his fingers through his hair. 'Do I look good? Should I really ask to study together? It doesn't look too obvious just because she's the dumbest in school, right? But is she dumb like only oblivious or is she also dumb in school? 'Ottoke...Haish just stealing my heart without permission...'

  He faltered in raising his hand to the knocker, when he heard a sickening crack and a squeal.

  "," he cursed through gritted teeth and grabbed the handle. It was unlocked, and he ran following the sound of pained whimpering, and burst into the backyard where he saw Jangmi under a huge branch. He froze in shock, until he noticed her labored breathing. He ran over to Jangmi, brushing her hair away from her face.

  "Jangmi!"

  Nothing.

  "Jangmi!"

  "B-baekhyun ssi?"

  "Jangmi-ah..." She visibly blushed, or was it the fact there was a 100 pound branch on top of her?

  "I..I'm fine Baekhyun ssi. So sorry, I'm so dumb..." she started to tear up from the pain, and Baekhyun freaked out.

  "J-j-jangmi! Hang on! I'll call 199!"

  "So s-sorry.." a drop of blood came from and she fainted.

a/n: mehehe. - u -

 

a/n: And I'm back with an update! I made this listening to Baby Don't Cry...>< /screams/ In Korea, it's 199 not 911