No Last Words

Psyche Ward

PSYCHE WARD

Chapter 1 | No Last Words

 

          My father and I walked to the white car together wordlessly. He walked over to the passenger's side of the car, opening the door and letting me get in before running around and getting in the driver's seat himself. I frowned at how much of a gentleman he was being. It was like he was a different person, not my dad.

          He started up the engine and I set my bag of my most important belongings in my lap. He cleared his throat and I cracked my knuckles absentmindedly. As we started driving, the awkward air was unbearable and in the back of my mind I knew car rides with your own father should not be so uncomfortable.

          I couldn't stand it anymore. After fifteen minutes I took a deep breath and broke the silence.

          "They're going to let me go." The engine whirred quietly as the car rolled to a stop at the traffic light. My dad remained silent. I shifted in my seat, the sun's heat making me uncomfortable..

          "Dad, they're going to let me go. You know that, right?" I continued. He kept his eyes glued on the road and I grunted a little in frustration.

          "They'll just ask me questions and keep me there overnight and then you'll get a phone call the next morning saying I can come home. There's nothing wrong with me." I snapped my head toward him but he didn't reply. I growled from the back of my throat, frustration becoming anger, and I turned my body to face him in the passenger's seat.

          "Dad! There's nothing wrong with—"

          "We'll see when we get there." I stared at him, offended. Blinking, I scoffed quietly, turning slowly to look out the window again.

          "'We'll see when we get there'? Those are the first words you say to me? Are you serious?" His eyes shifted away from me to the left. I shook my head in disbelief. I could almost hear him gulp and I could almost see him tighten his grip on the wheel.

          I hardened my eyes and set my teeth. "I'll show you," I said firmly. "I'll prove to you and I'll prove to Mom and I swear on my goddamn life I'll prove to Minji that there is absolutely nothing, nothing wrong with me." All he did was blink.

          We drove in silence for another twenty minutes before he pulled the car in front of the entrance to a blank, white building. He looked at me for the first time that day and raised his eyebrow expectantly. I tried to keep down my anger as I grabbed my bag and opened the door to get out.

          As I turned around to close the door, he opened his mouth to say something but I shut the door with all the force I could, cutting him off. He looked stunned and I fixed him with a glare.

          "I'll prove it."

          "Just go inside."

          I gulped, trying to hold back tears, and spun around to walk away. I couldn't look at his face anymore. As I reached the glass door, I stopped, looking down at the floor and taking a deep breath.

          "Why am I crying?" I whispered to myself, angrily wiping my tears as I pushed open the door.

          I tried to ignore the sound of my father zooming away.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:
Hello! I am the co-author, BLAQjack.
Nice to meet you!
Let us know what you think
of this chapter! Happy reading :D