Dancing

Life hacks, tips and tricks.

Hello, and welcome to the first chapter of our little journey together.

I'm going to talk about something I am very well acquaintanced with, for they were, and are, my own problems. Dancing, and difficulties while dancing. Specifically, hip hop.

 

 

I am obviously still a rookie in the ranks of hip hop dancers in our world, considering I've been dancing this style for just a year. I've actually danced latino-american dances for six years (when I was still a child, meaning very poorly) and I've been a mediocre cheerleader for three. 

Personally, I think the reason I wasn't all that great then was the fact that I just wasn't made for dainty kitten heels and multiple pirouettes. I was made for heavy flat sneakers and a combination of fluid and rigid movements that listen to a rythmic beat. But enough of my poetic epiphany, I'm here to tell you of my adventures as a 178 cm tall, female, hip hop dancer. 

 

If you are a tall dancer you'll immediately understand my point of view, and if you are not, a dancer and/or tall,  I am here to explain.

 

Every dancer has it pretty hard when they start of. New styles, new moves, something you are in no way used to. You've got to put a lot of effort into everything you do to climb up that ladder in your dance club/crew/team.

Now imagine doing all that with lanky limbs, a bigger distance between you and the floor and a not-that-perfect posture.

 

All dancers have it hard, but it is considerably easier for shorter people to dance hip hop (the main example being one of my crew members, she's quite short but nails every move head to toe) and taller people look very natural while dancing ballet. 

Our coach has been giving me a few tips on how you can blend in (or stand out with your amazing dancing):

1. Excersize your legs a lot. You really need strong legs and knees to get that wide stance (it also looks quite good, might I add.)

On a side note, I'd like to add that you have to watch your leg position, cause I know some people who, even though they are short, look a bit ridiculous with a sloppy stance.

2. Bend your legs, don't keep them straight. (Consider this an add-on to the previous side note.)

3. Keep you shoulders straight, don't bend your back, don't slump. (Unless the particular move calles for slumping)

 

Now, I'd like to tell you my personal tips, from dancer to dancer.

- Give every practice your all. When I first started I thought I should half-arse everything so I'd look like I'm really good and I don't need to try. Do not, under any circumstance, do that. Learn from my mistakes, it just makes it harder for you later on.

- Remember that noone starts off as an amazing dancer, don't be shy. Do not concentrate on the non-exsistent glances you think your mates give you, but concentrate on your moves and technique.

- Never, ever, give up. And don't be too shy to go to that first practice. I can tell you, you are going to have what-ifs and you're going to regret not even trying.

 

 

And last but not least:

I'd like to tell you that you'll get better the more you practice, and that you'll feel great after an hour and a half of doing the same routine, because you'll be proud that you got that far. And if you tell me about your story, I'll be proud of you too, no matter how small, or big, the success is!

 

If you'd like me to talk about the topic of other dance styles, or other problems you've come across, tell me in the comments below, and I'll try to find some good answers for you!

 

Yours sincerely,

Baozi.