The Past (4)

Looking back

Throbbing heart, clammy palms and slightly shivering out of nervousness and perhaps anxiety.  Those where what Sulli experienced since she entered the class and saw Minho sitting beside her seat, his head resting on the table. He seemed to be sleeping. She took careful steps to reach her seat so that she would not fall down again. She had had enough embarrassment yesterday. Her jelly-like legs did not help the situation much though. The closer the distance between the seat and her, the shallower her breathing was.   

"Phew,finally," she let out a sigh after she sat on her chair without tripping over her own feet nor waking Minho up. Lately, she had became more and more clumsy.

"Stand up, class! Good morning, teacher," after a minute or two, Kyuhyun the class monitor led the students to greet Mr Jung, their Geography teacher. Minho rose from his seat and followed suit. However, his expression was still stone hard and he had a frown on his face. Sulli had the sudden urge to reach out her hands and smoothen the forced wrinkles between his brows.

"Please take out the colour pencils that I specially reminded you to bring yesterday. In order to reinforce your knowledge about The Asian Countries, you are to draw and colour the Asia Map with reference to your textbook. Please colour each countries with distinctive colours and state their names. For your information, your work will be marked and it be taken account into your marks of your upcoming exam. Thus, do it with full enthusiasm. You have the whole two periods to perfect your drawing and colouring!" Mr Jung explained to the class. A moment later, all the students headed down to work.

"Ah, damn!" Sulli snapped her head to Minho when she heard his curse. She was just taking out her box of Buncho her pencil case and Geography textbook from her bag, ready to draw the map on an A4 paper. Minho was gripping his hair and his eyes closed. He looked frustrated.

"Err, what's wrong?" Sulli poked Minho's arm lightly with her pencil after she gathered up her courage. 

"I totally forgot to bring the colour pencils. Who knows the kiddo's favourite is of such important usage today," Minho replied. "And I just realised I brought the History textbook instead of Geography. I guess I just miss Miss Hwang's lesson, haha," he continued and covered his embarrassment with a nervous laugh.

"You can use my colour pencils and we can share the textbook," Sulli offered without a second thought. "Nah, here you go," she put the textbook in middle of their tables and shoved a red colour pencil into his hand. The actions were so natural thatvshe forgot how nervous she was around him just now.

"Ah thank you so much! You're my angel today! Let's get started before Mr Jung flunks us," Minho thanked her with a sense of humour and his signature killer grin. "So handsome," Sulli thought. She melted right away but she got her senses back after a second after noticing the time. She only had slightly more than an hour to finish her work. 

The light atmosphere changed when Minho occasionally brushed his elbow against Sulli's, probably because he was left-handed and Sulli was right-handed but their seats were the other way round. Sulli was getting self-conscious and she stole a glance of Minho. He looked mighty fine, all concentrated in colouring his work. There was not a single trace of uneasiness on his face from the way she looked at him.

"I think he doesn't realise what he did. Aish I should get a grip of myself. Concentrate, Sulli Choi!,"she thought while hitting her own head lightly because she felt silly.

"Now, which colour should I use? Hmmm I will just get yellow,"she whispered to herself and her hand reciprocrate what she just said. At that very moment, Minho did the same thing and their fingers touched. 

Sulli felt as though a jolt of electricity had shot through her veins, originating from where their fingers touched. Both of them retracted their hands as if they were burnt. "Sorry!" both of them blurted out their apologies at the same time. 

Feeling shocked of what happened, Sulli lifted her head and met Minho's gaze. She realised his eyes were just the same as hers were, wide opened because of surprise. An awkward silence was hanging in the air.

"Urghh. Ha-ha, what was that?" Minho took the initiative to cover the awkward situation by asking a question but the answer was already more than obvious.

"Seems like we both have the same colour in mind. Are you a mind-reader? Ahh what am I talking about? I will just get another colour, probably orange colour," Sulli was all flustered because she just blurted out what she had on her mind. She suddenly wished that the ground would just swallow her up.

 "Mind-reader? Interesting title, eh? Nah it's your colour pencil! I will use the orange colour instead,"Minho shoved the yellow colour pencil into Sulli's hand and got the orange colour one for himself and winked at her. Sulli was dumbfounded.

"Time's up! Please hand in your work now,"Mr Jung's voice rang in the classroom. Everyone was acting as instructed except for Sulli. She still had a bit to finish off! 

"Leave it to me, I will help you to pass it to Mr Jung since I can run very fast. He sure has not gone far!" Minho grabbed Sulli's copy of work when she finally finished off.  

"Mr. Jung, wait!" Minho shouted when he ran after Mr Jung who had just stepped out of the classroom less than a minute ago.

"Thank you," Sulli muttered even though Minho could not hear it. A sweet smile was plastered on her face when her eyes looked at the door that Minho had just passed through. She could sense a stream of warmth passing through her veins and the weigh on her heart was somehow lifted a little bit.