The Past (3)

Looking back

"I can't believe it happened," Sulli was laying on her bed, still feeling overwhelmed of what happened this morning. She closed her eyes and loosened up. Soon, vivid memories of the incident this morning started to cloud her mind......      

It was a day after the start of a brand new week------Monday.  Typical day where majority of people in the workforce as well as in the school shared a similar feeling--- misery or they would like to call this symptom the Monday Blue. It was the same for Sulli until Miss Hwang entered the class and dropped a bomb.   

"Listen up, class! I have just come up with a new way to arrange your seats," Miss Hwang said with an overflowing excitement in her tone. "Everyone will have to draw a piece of paper with a number written on it from this box. Those who draw the same number will be seated together. The sequence of your seat is according to your number. The first pair will sit at the first two tables of the first row and it goes on like that. Do you get it?" she proceeded with her explaination. After getting response from the students, they started to get to work.

"Not again?! I hate moving around and I don't want to get seperated from you, Sulli! I need someone to eat chocs with me during the monotonous History lesson," Sora voiced out her complaint to Sulli in a sour tone. " It seems like Miss Hwang has found her lost puzzle of creativity back in her mind since she came up with such an unusual idea. I bet you won't need me during the next History Lesson  'cause you'll be busy listening to her," Sulli replied in a playful tone. "Ahah as if! I bet she will never get me interested, not in a million years! You know she is ......" there Sora went again, complaining about Miss Hwang just because she confiscated her packet of Ferrero Rocher last week.

In the back of Sulli's mind, she was actually a bit happy about Miss Hwang's plan because she might be able to sit beside Minho. "What should I do if we become seatmates? I don't even know how to start a conversation with him. I have zero knowledge about football. The last video game that I played was Super Mario. I bet he will mock me about being so outdated! Ottoke?" her subconscious was doing that mind trick again, causing her to get nervous when her imagination started to run wild.

"Sulli! Sulli Choi?! Hello there, please back down to Earth!" Sulli was snapped out of her daydream when Taemin clicked his fingers in front of her. "Eh what?" Sulli looked at Taemin with brows knitted together, feeling very confused. " We are to sit at the tables by the last row and last column of the class since both of us got number 20. You see, that corner! Please be quick, Miss Hwang has been waiting for us to move," he explained while his fore finger pointed to that very direction. Sulli realised it was the other corner of the class. The opposite of where she sat before.

"Sorry I was thinking about something," she apologised and moved hastily with her head down, feeling embarrassed of what she had done. "Ouch!" she hissed when she clumsily knocked onto a corner of someone's table and landed with her bottom right on the ground. "Are you alright?" She shot her head up upon hearing that and her mind quickly registered that familiar face. Minho was looking at her with eyes full of concern and his hands were already  reaching out to her for assistance. 

"Yeahhhh... Errr thanks," Sulli blurted out and quickly beseated. Her mind became a bowl of cooked marshmallows upon the contact with Minho's warm and firm hand. She tried to focus on the lesson but she had a hard time. She could still feel the lingering feeling of his hand. She tried to focus on the lesson but her mind let her had a hard time. Her eyes wandered to where he was seated but her smile died down soon after that. 

Sulli could feel her heart cracking little bit by bit when she saw Minho chatting nonchalantly with Suzy on his right. Suzy would laugh and hit his arm occasionally. She closed her eyes momentarily and the weigh on her heart started to feel even denser. She could even sense something bitter in her heart. "The Golden Couple?" the question flooded her mind even if she detested it.  

It was soon the last lesson of the day. "Ei, Miss Hwang?"some of the students in class whispered a question. Sulli stared at Miss Hwang who entered the class with utter surprise. It was supposed to be the English Lesson, not the History lesson. "I am here to sit in because Madam Jeon is on sick leave today. Please do your own revision," Miss Hwang cleared the confusion. Everyone was engrossed with their own stuffs until a soft sob disrupted the peace. The class immediately turned dead quiet.

"What happened?" Miss Hwang was standing in front of Suzy whose eyes were full of tears. Beside Suzy was a rigid Minho. His lips were set into a thin line and his eyes were somehow red, signaling danger over there. Perhaps his bottled anger caused that. 

"He threw a fit and....and kicked my chair..... ...I almost...... fell down!" Suzy said in between her sobs looking like a damsel in distress. She would occasionally steal s few glances of Minho. 

"Why is he so mean?" "What does he think he is to hurt Suzy the Goddess?" "Isn't him the ultimate gentleman?" The students came out with all kinds of questions among themselves. "Silence! Minho, why did you do that to Suzy? You should apologise to her,"Miss Hwang asked. It was as if she was being the judge in the court.

"She provoked me! She said....."his answer was hanging in the air. Just then, he turned his back and looked at Sulli with his piercing stare. After a while, he faced Miss Hwang and said nothing else.

"So you will not apologise? In this case, I am going to switch your seat! Let me think,hmmmm,"Miss Hwang scanned the class through her spectacles, like a tigress searching for its prey. After a minute, she said," Minho, come with me." "Taemin, please move to the seat beside Suzy. As for you, Minho, this is your new seat. I hope think Sulli, who is so soft and as gentle as a lamb will not provoke you and you two should never have the chance to fight," she said with a sense of sarcasm. 

Sulli still could not believe what just happened. Minho was sitting beside her! But why was he looking so down? His eyes were red and she thought they were moist. "Is he crying?" she thought. She did not dare to approach him. He looked like a hurt animal who needed some alone space and time to its wound. "Maybe I should just ask him to take care or what after the bell rang," Sulli had a wishful thinking.

However it never happened because Minho left the class before she could do anything.