Chapter 11

Soy Milk Lattes and Silent Baristas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Overnight the snow piles up a meter and everyone is trapped indoors. Cramped all together in the tiny apartment, tension is high and the four try to give each other as much space as possible. Luhan stays shut up in his and Yixing’s room catching up of school work and video chatting with friends. Of course, he also spends a great amount of time sending text messages back and forth with Minseok.

Is the snow as deep over there as it is here? It goes past my knees…

-M

Yes, it is…where are you going with all this snow?

-L

I can’t live off eggs, I had to go to the store :)

-M

True. How was your morning?

-L

Good…I had to turn the heat off because the bill was getting too expensive. I’m wearing three sweaters.

-M

Oh? I don’t want you to freeze! You could come stay with us.

-L

No, I don’t want to be a burden. My sweaters are working fine! Besides, the snow will melt soon and then I can get back to work and start paying the bills again.

-M

Well if you get too cold and want to stay here, then we’re happy to have you. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon, I miss you.

-L

It’s only been three days! But yes, I miss you…we’ll see each other soon.

-M

Of course! As soon as the streets are cleared.

-L

Mhm…going into the store now, wish me luck! I’ll talk to you later.

-M

Good luck! Buy some good protein.

-L

Luhan sets down his phone, stretches, and decides that now might be a nice time for a long bath.

Chin deep in bubbles, the brown-haired boy contemplates life. He thinks about Minseok, and what his mom might think if she knew he was with a guy. She probably knew it was coming all along, same with his dad. He remembers back to the day when he brought soup to Minseok, and returned home to the mysterious note on the table reading ‘I got laid’ and makes a mental note to ask who left it. He’s not completely sure that the sender was serious, but he’s rather suspicious.

Sinking deeper into the warm water he closes his eyes and attempts to clear out some mental clutter. Holding his breath, he dips his head under and lies there for a few seconds, completely submerged in the bubbles. There is a knock on the door and he hears it from a long way off, and comes dripping and spluttering out of the water “Wh- yeah- I’m bathing!”

“Oh, sorry Luhannie,” It’s Yixing “Do you know how to unfreeze a lock?”

“No, why? Are you going somewhere?”

“We thought we might go shopping, since it’s holiday time…”

“There’s a meter of snow outside…you must be crazy…” Luhan wipes soap off his face and sits up further.

“Well, you know…” Yixing doesn’t sound sure of what his motives are now and Luhan laughs good naturedly at him “It’s okay, we’re all sleep deprived. But you all have a point…we should go holiday shopping as soon as the weather clears.”

“Uh huh. Well, have a nice time bathing.” Luhan hears Yixing turn away and walk back down the hall. There is the resonating clunk of an acoustic guitar being lifted and the couch being sat down on, and Luhan sinks back into the lukewarm bath water and considers the fact that it really will be the holidays soon and he should find the time to buy gifts for the new man in his life.

He thinks about it until dinner time. Money seems like the obvious choice, but he feels like it’s rather main-stream and that although everyone could use a little money, especially after gift-giving time is over, he should think up something special. Food is out of the question and he isn’t sure of Minseok’s clothing size, although he could probably guess. Luhan decides to get the input of his roommates when they all gather for dinner in the evening.

“A subwoofer stereo.” It’s Kris who has the idea.

“What?”

“You know, Subwoofers. Those things that play the bass and make the floor vibrate?”

“Oh, right. Why are those relevant?”

“Well, he can’t hear music, right? I’m guessing that if we got him a nice stereo with a subwoofer he could feel it.”

Luhan is quiet for a moment, because that could probably be one of the best ideas that Kris has ever had “…How much do they cost?”

“I’m not sure, around one hundred fifty…two hundred thousand won?”

The doe-eyed boy thinks for a moment “Anyone going to chip in?”

Lay and Tao stick their heads in “We will.”

“I love it when you two eavesdrop in the hallway,” Luhan rolls his eyes “But thank you. This is actually a really good idea, Kris.”

“I knew it’d be good.” Kris is smirking slightly and Luhan catches him wink at Tao “Have you two been planning this?”

“…Maybe.” Tao’s squirming gives the two away and Kris looks sheepish “We knew you’d come asking at some point, so…”

Luhan says “Gee, thanks…” and everyone laughs and Kris knocks over the bowl of hardboiled eggs which go rolling all over the table. There is a scramble to catch them before they hit the floor and crack, and then Yixing goes to open the windows and peek out into the night “Snow’s stopped.”

“How deep is it?”

“Not as deep.”

There is semi-enthusiastic cheering all around and Kris, having gathered all the eggs and placed them back into their green ceramic bowl says “Let’s get to saving for this stereo, huh?”

 

They pool their money and come up with approximately enough to by a quality gift for Minse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter