Over You

The Way I Loved You

 

Thursday.

 

Valentine’s Day.

 

How could Yuri have forgotten?

 

And of all days, Jessica had to ask her to come watch her on freaking Valentine’s Day.

 

Of freaking course.

 

Was this her own discreet way of asking her to be her Valentine?

 

On the other hand, Yuri couldn’t believe she had apparently asked a certain maknae of a particular girl group out on Valentine’s Day.

 

Not that she minded spending Valentine’s Day with said-girl or anything. No, the idea of it sounded pleasant to her actually. But Hayoung’s hesitancy had definitely made more sense, now that Yuri thought about it.

 

And thankfully, she seemed pretty cool with the pushing back of their meet-up yet again. Though, Yuri could never be too sure whenever it came to text messages.

 

Maybe… Maybe she was disappointed and upset with her after all.

 

Or maybe not. Yuri wouldn’t know.

 

But just thinking of it, made her feel so guilty and unsettled. Urgh.

 

Anyway, she digressed.

 

God, what everyone had said about her being oblivious and ignorant… It was actually true, Yuri had to admit, although only partly.

 

Move on, she said. And agree to going on a ‘romantic’ dinner with her ex’, she did.

 

What a genius, Yuri. What a freaking genius.

 

Now, she just had to find a way to wiggle out of this mess.

 

But apparently whatever divine entity up there, just didn’t want that happening.

 

“But Omma… You promised!”

 

The last thing Yuri wanted to do was to sound all whiny like some bratty seven-year-old who didn’t get what she wanted on her birthday. But honestly, with a situation like hers? She really couldn’t help herself.

 

Her mother gave her apologetic look, gently sweeping back wisps of hair away from her face and smiled.

 

“I’m sorry, Yuri-yah, but it’s Valentine’s Day.” She said it as if it was the most obvious thing on earth. “It’s been a real long time since your Appa and I have gone out for dinner alone without you kids tagging along.”

 

“But you promised…” Yuri pouted petulantly, crossing her arms sulkily.

 

“Omma, will make it up to you somehow, okay?”

 

 Her mother chuckled, thumbing the side of her cheek and petted her affectionately on the head like she always do.

 

“You have fun with Sooyeon now,” she grinned and drew in for a quick hug. “Be safe and take care of yourself. Make sure you call home often.”

 

“Yes, Omma. I will,” said Yuri with a soft sigh, returning the embrace of her mother. “I love you.” She whispered.

 

“Aigoo, my precious daughter. I love you too, Yuri-yah.”

 

Her mother cooed, tightening her embrace with a gentle squeeze.

 

“Visit home soon, yeah? Your Appa misses his dear daughter very much. Always bragging about his beautiful Yuri-yah to his friends… And so does your Oppa too, even though he doesn’t show it.” Mrs. Kwon laughed, eyes twinkling in mischief. “But a mother always knows best.”

 

“Yes, I’ll try to come home soon. I miss Appa too. And Hyukjun-oppa.” Yuri sniffed, eyes tearing up by the slightest bit.

 

“Tell Sooyeon that I really enjoyed myself at the musical.”

 

“Okay…”

 

And with much reluctance, Yuri released her mother from her arms, bracing on a watery smile.

 

Suddenly she was back to the first day of grade school, where saying goodbye and parting from her mother’s side were the hardest things to do back then.

 

“I’ll be watching you closely on T.V. Be good!” With one last pat on her shoulder, a peck on her cheek and a quick ruffle of her hair, Mrs. Kwon finally took her leave as Yuri watched on wistfully as she went.

 

The second she was out of sight, Yuri released a long weary sigh and frowned.

 

Great.

 

Just great…

 

She practically had half the mind to just walk off and go straight home. Then again, that wouldn’t be polite. And ex’ or no ex’, Jessica was still one of her members. A close friend. Almost family in a sense. It was one fact that will never change and it wouldn’t be right to just forsake her like this. Especially when she promised her.

 

Promise.

 

But weren’t most promises meant to be broken?

 

 

‘No matter what, I’ll be by your side. Always.’ Jessica whispered, voice quivering.

They were facing each other while lying in the darkness, sniffling and squeezing out the last of their tears.

Although, the worst of the storm was finally over and everyone was only beginning to pick up their broken pieces off the battered war ground, emotions were still left raw and tender.

There would be a scar to mark this very day. The day when they had survived a cold, harsh war. A day that would never leave their memory.

 But together, they would stand strong.

With Jessica by her side, Yuri would stand strong.

‘And I, you.’ Yuri breathed, grasping for her fingers in the dark.

‘Promise?’

‘Promise.’

 

 

Well, it was close to be broken anyway.

 

It would definitely take a miracle for her heart to come out of this whole and intact.

 

The door to the back exit creaked open.

 

Yuri held her breath.

 

And there she was. Off with the blonde wig and obnoxious pink dress, Jessica was dressed in her usual casual attire, comprising of a white tee and jeans, topping it over with a dark-colored jacket to keep her from the cold.

 

Yuri watched, entranced, as she flicked her hair over her shoulder before smoothening it down with her fingers.

 

God was she still beautiful as always.

 

As soon as she had met Yuri’s gaze, a wide toothy grin had immediately lit up her features and she came bounding down to join her at the end of the stairs.

 

“Sorry, I couldn’t take off my fake eyelashes.” She said, grinning cheekily and Yuri couldn’t help but notice how the glowing spark in her eyes seemed brighter than usual.

 

It must be the lighting. It must be.

 

“It’s okay, it’s not like you could take them off anyway.” She smirked, sticking her tongue out at her playfully.

 

Jessica laughed, aiming a light punch onto her shoulder. “I totally can,” she said, then, glanced around, looking over Yuri’s shoulder curiously. “Where’s your Omma?”

 

“She ditched us for a date with my Appa, apparently.” Yuri answered, pursing her lips slightly.

 

“Oh really?” Jessica asked, surprised, before pausing contemplatively. “Then I guess dinner will be just the two of us then.” She said, shrugging with a slight smile. And it almost seemed as if she was all the more happy over the prospect of them just having dinner together.

 

A dinner which Yuri was dreading.

 

“Do you have any place in mind?”

 

Jessica made a soft contemplative hum.

 

“I was thinking about maybe heading back to your place? And you could whip up something nice for the both of us.”

 

I whip up something nice?” Yuri repeated, raising an amused brow.

 

“It’s been a long time since I’ve last had a taste of your cooking, alright?” Jessica blushed, kicking at her feet embarrassedly. “And I kinda’ missed it.” She mumbled sheepishly.

 

At that, Yuri couldn’t help the softening of her gaze— or the slight racing of her heart— as her features melted off into a small smile.

 

As much as she loved teasing and poking fun at her at times, she would always have this soft spot for her.

 

That was one thing that would never change.

 

“If that’s what you want…” She grinned and did a fanciful bow, gesturing off towards the direction of the car.

 

“Your carriage awaits, milady.”

 

Jessica merely snorted and landed another playful fist onto her shoulder.

 

 

--

 

“So do you have cravings of any kind, whatsoever?” asked Yuri upon entering the kitchen with Jessica close on her heel. She tossed her car keys aside and dropped her purse onto a counter as she passed, swiftly swiping her apron and deftly putting it on.

 

Hopefully she’ll remember where she placed her keys later. She always had a knack of forgetting where she put them.

 

“Well, you do make the best ramyun…” Jessica murmured musingly, one of those many loose packets of ramyun Yuri had, lying around the kitchen.

 

She had practically been living off them during those short breaks between schedules, mainly because she was either a) too lazy to whip up something fanciful for herself or b) she just wasn’t in the mood to call for takeout.

 

“Ramyun for a Valentine’s Day dinner? That’s hardly even romantic.” Yuri snorted, sniggering away as she picked the packet out of Jessica’s grasp and made her way towards the stoves.

 

“Please, you’ve never been the type to be romantic anyway.”

 

Even with her back her, Yuri could still hear the roll of her eyes and the hint of a cocky smirk hanging off the edges of her lips just by the sound of her voice.

 

“If I’m un-romantic…” Yuri trailed off, flicking the stove on and setting the water to boil. She whirled around back at the fairer brunette, leaning against the counter nonchalantly, smirking teasingly. “Then what in the world does that make you?”

 

“Yah!” Jessica cried out, squealing. Eyes flaring brightly she shoved the tanner brunette (not so) lightly on the shoulders, causing her to stumble a couple steps. “I am romantic.”

 

The only response Yuri could muster was a loud cackle before turning back to her cooking. “Sure,” she drawled, chuckling.

 

Behind her, she could hear Jessica huffing loudly.

 

“Ah really… Why do you always have to tease me like this?”

 

Because your reactions are adorable, that’s why.

 

“Because you brought it upon yourself for teasing me first.”

 

A beat of silence.

 

A defeated sigh.

 

“Jeez, you can be such a pain in the some times…” She caught Jessica muttering softly under her breath.

 

“I’m sorry, what was that?”

 

“Nothing. Stop talking and concentrate on your cooking.”

 

“Yes, Jessica-nim,” intoned Yuri with a mock salute.

 

Conversations had then fizzled out into silence, with Yuri humming softly to herself as she tended to the boiling pot of ramyun before her and Jessica cruising through the kitchen, fiddling with the various utensils and appliances that managed to capture her interest.

 

The silence went on for a couple of minutes and Yuri was surprised by how at ease she was with this whole... arrangement. When before she had been against the whole set up of them having dinner together.

 

Because this was so clearly not a date of any kind.

 

Because if this were to be a date. They’d be having a candlelit dinner at some fancy restaurant and there would be an exchange of chocolates and maybe roses, some hugs and kisses. (Though, Yuri had actually presented Jessica with a bouquet earlier ago. But that was mainly for congratulating her on putting up such a wonderful show.)

 

But no. Instead, they were back at Yuri’s place having ramyun. So this could hardly even qualify for a date. Just a regular dinner between friends.

 

Yes, just a dinner between friends.

 

The sound of Jessica’s bell-like giggle had broken the spell of silence as Yuri turned to look over her shoulder at the Ice Princess curiously.

 

“I didn’t know you still wore your reading glasses.” Jessica grinned.

 

Eyes flickering to the pair of dark-rimmed glasses that was being wiggled about in the air by the shorter brunette, a small smile flitted across her lips.

 

“Oh, those aren’t mine. They belong to a friend.”

 

“A friend.” The grin on Jessica’s lips faltered as her eyes hardened, narrowing ever so slightly.

 

“APink Hayoung? She’s a friend of mine.” Yuri answered ever so casually as she maneuvered around the kitchen skillfully, scooping and pouring the cooked ramyun into bowls before setting it out onto the dining table. 

 

“Has she…” Jessica bit on her bottom lip, pausing. “Did you have her over at your place?” She asked, softly. Tentatively. And was no longer holding her gaze, but was glancing down onto a tiny speck on the table, fingers toying about with the glasses pensively.

 

There was this hint of fragility behind her words. This… apprehension. Almost as if she was nervous and fearful over something.

 

What?

 

“Not yet, I’ve not.” Yuri replied, gently easing the steaming bowl of ramyun towards Jessica with a smile, slipping into the seat across her. “Come on, eat up.”

 

“’Not yet’, huh,” Jessica murmured, picking up her chopsticks and sighed, Her features darkened into a frown. “Not yet...”

 

Not knowing exactly what to make of this or how to react or what to say, Yuri merely dug into her food silently.

 

The seconds— turned to minutes— struck by in agonizing silence, with a tension so thick it engulfed the entire dining table, smoldering them.

 

Suffocating.

 

“You like her, don’t you?”

 

Jessica’s question had struck Yuri hard like a ton of bricks, amplified further by the silence, and it caught her entirely off guard that she very nearly choked on her food.

 

It was so sudden, and she hadn’t seen it coming at all.

 

And as quiet as it was between them, she could practically hear the question echoing back at her, bouncing and reverberating through the walls of the kitchen.

 

There was no way out of this one, Yuri was sure. Especially not with the way Jessica was staring at her, expecting for an answer.

 

“I…” Yuri started, wavering. Jessica was still waiting, eyes closely observing her, never once leaving her face. She swallowed nervously.

 

Her thoughts were in complete disarray. All jumbled and messed up.

 

Did she like Hayoung? She supposed she was (is) a tiny bit interested in her. So that would probably mean… But did she really like her that way?

 

Did she?

 

“I don’t know,” Yuri breathed, then blushed, casting her eyes away. “Well, maybe I do... But just a little.” She mumbled bashfully.

 

“Hm. That’s what I thought.” Jessica muttered darkly, ending the conversation with an edge of finality.

 

Yuri flinched as Jessica stabbed her chopsticks into her bowl of ramyun.

 

She fidgeted nervously in her chair.

 

“How’s the food?” she asked in a tiny voice, attempting to revive the previously cheery atmosphere to no avail.

 

“Good,” said Jessica blandly, expression bleak and dark, not looking especially keen on making further conversation.

 

As such, Yuri didn’t make much of an effort in saving what was left of their supposed ‘light-hearted’ dinner as they both ate in complete silence for the rest of their meal.

 

And once again, Yuri thought bitterly, dinner was officially ruined.

 

--

A/N: Many many thanks for commenting/subscribing/up-voting/ and; last but not least, for reading the previous chapter. I'm back to deliver you guys this quick update amongst the storm that is occurring within our fandom. I know some of you have asked for Hayoung to join Yuri in catching Jessica's musical together... I really hate to disappoint, but in case maybe you haven't really noticed, I'm actually doing my best to stick to the actual timeline of schedules and events revolving around SNSD and APink. So that might give you a clue to how things are probably going to unfold in the future. :P But of course, I'll add my own little twist of fiction to the facts, haha. 

Hmm, the next chapter is something to look forward to. It's been a long time since we've last had Hayoung in the same room as YulSic... So yeah. That's it for today and I'll be back with an update soon enough! :)