Between The Lines

The Way I Loved You

It was a lazy Friday afternoon.

 

With it being one of Yuri’s rare off-days from her schedule, she had spent the entire morning and nearly half of her afternoon, lolling about, lounging on her couch with Hani— her pet pooch— curled up at her feet with the television set switched on as she proceeded to engross herself by watching dramas after dramas.

 

It was almost like she was glued to the couch. She had barely even lifted a finger in the past couple hours or so.

 

Idly, she wondered if this was how an average person would live their life on a typical weekend.

 

It was… pleasantly simple.

 

Though, at times she did feel like she was wasting life away. But she quickly pushed the thought away and sank further into her couch if that was even possible.

 

It was her off day, and she could do whatever she wanted with it. And being as lazy as she could was on the very top of her to-do list.

 

No, you’re only trying to forget and pretend that everything is okay, A tiny voice at the back of her mind whispered.

 

Her grip on the controller tightened.

 

Hani let out a yawn, shifting slightly as she gently nipped at Yuri’s ankle, breaking her out from her thoughts.

 

Yuri quirked a brow at her four-legged companion.

 

Hani only pawed at her and gave a short, sharp bark, dark beady eyes looking to her almost expectantly.

 

Yuri grinned, running her fingers through Hani’s thick mane. “Aww, Hani-baby want some treats?”

 

The dog barked shrilly once more, panting in excitement.

 

“Well, I guess Mommy could do with some snacks as well. Come now, Hani-yah.” She cooed, straining to get to her feet, and it almost felt like a long, long time since she had last felt the carpeted flooring beneath her toes.

 

She trudged her way to the kitchen with Hani heeling after her, bouncing about her feet enthusiastically.

 

She was only halfway across the lounge when the resonating sound of her doorbell resounded through her apartment.

 

Yuri faltered briefly in her steps and pursed her lips. She took a steadying, short pause. Then, diverted off towards her front door with Hani still padding after her.

 

Her heart gave a squeeze.

 

Could it be?

 

Fingers wrapping round the brass knob, she could feel the rising sense of anticipation— and apprehension— coursing through her.

 

With a deep breath, she unlocked and swung the door open, holding her breath.

 

At the sight of none other than Jessica Jung standing at her doorstep, Yuri could only stand, stupefied, her heart caught in as it blocked out all words from coming through and she was beyond thankful when it was Jessica who broke the silence first.

 

“Hey…” The fairer brunette smiled weakly.

 

And it was only when Yuri looked her up and down properly, did she realize that her appearance probably mirrored the woman before her.

 

Hair, disheveled and slightly unkempt. Clothes, loose, scruffy and baggy. Face, weary and exhausted.

 

They looked like a mess.

 

And the thought that their fight had affected her just as much as it did for herself, made Yuri feel somewhat… glad.

 

“Hey yourself,” Yuri grinned, though her smile didn’t reach as high as it usually could. She stepped aside, gesturing for the shorter brunette to enter in.

 

It almost felt weird inviting Jessica in. Like it didn’t exactly sit in properly.  Normally, she would just barge right in—knowing her apartment pin— and plop herself right down onto her lap while she sat by her couch watching television and all.

 

However so, she was still happy to see that she was here, standing in front of her right now.

 

It almost felt like an eternity since she last seen her in the flesh or heard her voice, even though she knew it had only been a good— long— two weeks and a half.

 

They plowed through into the lounge where the air hung heavy with tension.

 

Hani whined and Yuri chuckled, scratching her between her ears apologetically.

 

She would have to get her treats later.

 

But for now… She had to deal with this first.

 

An agonizing second of silence ticked by.

 

She watched as Jessica scuffled at her feet, fingers twitching as she bit, released, bit, and then nibbled at her lip nervously.

 

“I’m sorry,” breathed Jessica, eyes downcast, dark with shame and guilt.

 

“I’m sorry too,” Yuri smiled, ruefully. She gently placed a hand on the brunette’s shoulder and sighed softly. “I… We both said some hurtful things to each other that night.”

 

Jessica sniffed and abruptly launched herself forward, arms snaking round her waist as she pulled her in into a spine-crushing embrace, repeatedly mumbling ‘I’m sorry’s and ‘please forgive me’s while Yuri could only tangle her fingers through light brown hair, smiling wistfully.

 

“I missed you,”

 

Eyes softening down onto her fragile little frame, Yuri lightly tucked a lock behind her ear, pressing herself closer. She breathed in the scent of cool wintry mint and smiled— a bittersweet smile—, gazing down at her softly. Fondly.

 

“I missed you too.” Yuri murmured, relishing, losing herself in her delicious warmth.

 

They stood, enveloped in each other’s arms, for a long while, both reluctant and unwilling to withdraw away.

 

However, eventually, the moment had to come to an end.

 

Pulling away, Yuri found herself looking down into the most beautiful shimmering pools of dark brown. Her heart fluttered and it was something she couldn’t help. Not when they used to have a good two-year history between them.

 

History, she thought bitterly.

 

“Friends?” she asked tentatively. As much as she wanted more, this was the closest she could settle for. It stung a little. But it was nothing unbearable— something she was used to by now.

 

Jessica nodded, sealing the deal with a sheepish smile.

 

“Friends.”

 

And that was that.

 

A cold war.

 

Countless of sleepless nights.

 

Constant heartache.

 

All that was solved with a torrent of apologies, a hug and a relieved— somewhat awkward— kind of laughter.

 

It ended like most of their other fights.

 

Yuri could count that they would not be speaking of it nor bringing this up ever again.

 

Till maybe much later in another squabble in the future, used to reopen old wounds.

 

And just like most fights, she could almost pick out the imperceptible fracture of… something… in her eyes. Like something had changed forever and would never be the same.

 

But she didn’t allow herself to dwell too much onto that. Not when everything was good and swell between them again.

 

After that heartwarming reconciliation, they both relocated themselves to the kitchen, sitting by the table, cups of tea fitting snugly between their palms, and Hani lying by the kitchen tiles, happy and contented, gnawing at her treats.

 

“So where were you the other day? I didn’t see you down at the salon.”

 

“I, uh… Decided to try out a new salon the other day. Y’know, the newly opened one at Gangnam.”

 

Eyes narrowing imperceptibly, Yuri knew that Jessica saw through her almost immediately. But nonetheless, she didn’t press on the matter, knowing full well the reason why she hadn’t turn up at their usual salon.

 

“How was the service like over there?” Jessica asked, sounding overtly casually.

 

In a way, Yuri thought, she was trying to mask the pang that the knowledge of her trying to avoid her for the past couple of days— weeks— had brought upon. And Yuri did her best to not let the fact that she had hurt her, yet once again, get to her.

 

“Not bad, everyone was pretty friendly…”

 

“Hmm, did you see any celebrities there?”

 

Yuri laughed. “We are celebrities, Sica-yah.”

 

Jessica pouted. “Fine, did you see anyone you recognize there?”

 

“Well, I did run into a couple members of that newbie group, APink…” Yuri hummed musingly, and she caught the immediate stiffening of shoulders from the fairer brunette.

 

“Oh, really?” Jessica’s voice sounded strain despite her attempt at nonchalance. With the darkening of her gaze— that flinty look in her eyes—, Yuri knew she wasn’t the least bit thrilled about hearing this.

 

And she wondered why.

 

“Yeah…” Yuri swallowed uneasily, forcing a small smile. “So, um, how’s it going with Lee Dongwook? Are you finally getting serious with him yet?”

 

“We broke up,” Jessica blurted absently.

 

Yuri blinked, unable to hide her surprise. “Oh, I-I’m sorry.”

 

No, she wasn’t.

 

Inwardly, she had to stop herself from rejoicing over the news.

 

“Nah, don’t be. I’d never thought of getting serious with him in the first place.” Jessica smiled thinly, fanning her off flippantly.

 

As she glanced up at her, their gazes clashed, and a jolt of electricity was sent tingling down Yuri’s spine at the intensity of her stare. It was smoldering and fiery, and it made Yuri’s heart burn— almost painfully.

 

The way she was looking at her now. It almost looked as if she wanted… more.

 

Like she wanted her back.

 

No.

 

Yuri tore her eyes away, casting them down onto her cup of tea that had cooled over time.

 

“Well, you’ll find someone eventually…” She mumbled, and took a quick sip, allowing her words to linger on a little. She stole a glance up and noticed that Jessica was no longer staring and had averted her eyes down onto a tiny speck on the table.

 

“I guess,” she murmured softly. And Yuri thought her gaze seemed wistful.

 

Almost strangely sentimental and it tugged at her heartstrings.

 

When her eyes flickered back up at her, there was this small, nearly indiscernible glint of sadness pooling behind her brown orbs.

 

"So will you…”

 

Yuri smiled and nodded, only barely managing to conceal her pain in her eyes.

 

Because honestly, all she wanted was her.

 

“So will I.”

 

--

A/N: A quick update for the weekends. Thank you for reading, commenting and subscribing! And yes, if you guys didn't catch the implication in the previous chapter and this one. Yuri and Jessica were together for two years. Note the past tense. Jessica's POV will come in a bit later into the story. So yeah, thanks for reading! :)