Is Never Enough

The Way I Loved You

Yuri awoke with a start.

 

Eyes snapping wide open, her breathing was hitched, heart pulsing heavily as it caught right in . The gripping panic and terror was only starting to ebb away, and in its place was a cold numbing sensation embedded deep in her chest.

 

Yuri swallowed at her parched throat and sat herself up shakily. At this point, she was far beyond the groggy state of awakening. Her mind was already alert and reeling from the dream she had earlier.

 

It had started out with her and Jessica in a vast empty grassland with clear blue skies hanging overhead and a gentle cool breeze that danced across their skin.

 

They were smiling, laughing and talking without a single restraint.

 

Yuri could remember vividly the way Jessica’s fingers had ran through her dark locks while she rested her head on her lap, listening to her soft humming of a sweet tune and the cooing of the light breeze.

 

And that very moment, Yuri couldn’t wish for anything more.

 

Feeling the slow burn of tenderness that came with every touch and caress from her. Hearing the affection resonating deeply— clearly— in her voice. Seeing the spark of love and adoration in her eyes as they peered down at her, smiling warmly.

 

Everything was perfect.

 

Everything was right. Everything was like how they were before. Back when they were both happy and together, and nothing else had mattered.

 

It was a picture-perfect, wonderful dream

 

Then…

 

The scene changed.

 

Everything was away, zipping into a dark little room that was filled with nothing but dread and more dread.

 

Jessica stood before her.

 

Only this time, her eyes were cold, hard and frigid, without the tiniest speck of warmth. A deep-set frown had hung on the edges of her lips and brows, and her stare was deep and so very intense that it made Yuri cower and the hair on the back of her neck to prickle in fear to what was to come.

 

‘It’s over. I’m breaking up with you.’ Her words, sharp like a knife, had pierced right deep into Yuri’s heart.

 

And she bled.

 

‘Why…?’

 

‘I’ve only been playing with you and now you’re starting to bore me.’

 

‘B-but—‘

 

Yuri found herself crumpling to the ground, her body wrecked with an immense pain with every word that came spewing out from Jessica’s mouth. It was like being stabbed with a dagger in the same spot, over and over.

 

‘Do you honestly think I’ll ever be with someone as pathetic as yourself? I will never love you, Yuri-yah.’

 

Her chin tilted up by a chillingly icy finger as she was forced to meet a pair of forbidding, glacial-like eyes. A cruel smirk curled at Jessica’s lips and the next thing Yuri knew, those unfamiliar, unfeeling eyes began to glow an eerie bright red as Jessica parted her lips to reveal a set of wickedly razor-sharp teeth.

 

She was only allowed so much as a gasp before the Jessica of her dream had leaned in to sink her teeth into her before she finally woke up.

 

Yuri ran a finger through her mussed up raven locks and sighed.

 

Granted, it was only a dream, and their breakup was actually a lot less dramatic than that, but it still struck a sour note in her.

 

What if Jessica had been indeed, just toying around with her?

 

What if she hadn’t mean a thing to her at all?

 

What if…

 

All they had before was actually a lie?

 

No.

 

It wasn’t.

 

It was just a stupid dream.

 

Fine, maybe Jessica had never once told her that she had loved her when they were still together, but still…

 

Yuri wanted to believe that the things they did together were at least sincere and at some point, she did mean something to her after all.

 

But either way, there was no point in crying over spilt milk.

 

Whatever was over was already over.

 

 

 

‘I think it’ll be for the best if we just remained friends.’ Jessica mumbled softly after a long period of hesitation and silence.

 

Her head was hung low and her eyes were downcast, refusing (unable) to meet the ones that were staring back at her in dumb shock.

 

It was so sudden— so entirely unexpected— that Yuri was caught completely off guard and was left stunned, speechless for a couple of seconds.

 

Everything was going fine for them, no?

 

Or did she simply overlook some things?

 

When in actuality, everything had long, fallen apart for them and she just didn’t realize.

 

But nonetheless she took it all in stride, forcing on a small smile and holding back the tears that were gathering in the corners of her eyes.

 

Holding herself back from shattering into pieces right in front of her.

 

‘Well if that’s what you really want… I’ve got no qualms about it.’

 

And that was the end of everything.

 

 

 

Yuri let out a shuddering breath, her heart throbbing dully in her chest as she fumbled out of bed.

 

God, she needed something strong to curb her through this horrid morning.

 

“Good morning,” came an all-too familiar silky voice the second Yuri had stumbled into the kitchen.

 

Her blood ran cold.

 

“S-Sica?” Yuri sputtered, nearly tripping on her toes. The last thing she needed was to see her this early in the morning. “What are you doing back at dorm?”

 

“I slept over. It’s closer to the studio anyway.” Jessica rolled her shoulders with a notable air of nonchalance.

 

In the meanwhile, Yuri was experiencing a weird sense of déjà vu.

 

The fairer brunette folded up the newspaper she had been reading, seconds before Yuri had entered the kitchen, and placed it aside as a genial smile hung at her lips.

 

“Care for some toast? I made them.” She gestured to the platter sitting in the center of the table, grinning widely, looking a tad pleased— maybe for successfully making toast. “Do you want some coffee too?”

 

Yuri dropped herself onto the seat across Jessica at the table, albeit in a daze.

 

“Okay,”

 

Giggling, Jessica slid out of her chair, giving Yuri a soft squeeze on her shoulder as she passed her.

 

Yuri caught her breath (and her heart).

 

For a second there, she had almost half-expected Jessica to lean in to affectionately peck her on her cheek. The way she did in the past when they had been together.

 

She quickly shook it off.

 

The dream she had was definitely messing with her head.

 

Turning to look over her shoulder, she watched as Jessica fiddled around with the coffee maker, humming frivolously as she went. It brought a smile onto Yuri’s face and it nearly made her want to go up behind her and wrap her arms around her and hold her close and tight.

 

Dressed in her baggy old t-shirt and extremely short, shorts, Yuri was finding it extremely hard not to do so.

 

She continued observing her in her ministration in a dreamy haze, only snapping out of it when Jessica had reached for the cubes of sugar by the side.

 

“Oh! Um, no sugar please.” Yuri paused. “Or milk.” She added quickly.

 

Jessica whirled back around at her, brows creasing in perplexity. “You used to take your coffee with three cubes of sugar and lots of milk.”

 

“Well… My tastes have changed over the months, I guess.” Yuri gave a forced smile, trying to shrug it off casually to no avail.

 

A frown flitted across Jessica’s lips, painting her features with a pensive quality.

 

“Hmm, okay,” she murmured, though not sounding as cheery as she was minutes before.

 

She set the steaming cup of coffee down, as Yuri offered her a quick word of thanks, before slipping back into her seat at the small dining table once more.

 

Her lips were pursed, eyes distant and contemplative, and they sat in silence as the seconds ticked by slowly.

 

Yuri could feel the light, jaunty mood from earlier dwindling away fast.

 

“Dorm seems pretty empty this morning. Where have the others gone to?” She asked, in hopes to salvage the atmosphere.

 

Jessica blinked, eyes flickering up at her.

 

“They’ve all gone on ahead to the studio.” She answered blandly, frowning. “You got up quite late today… Another new habit of yours I don’t know of?” she asked, in a manner that Yuri knew was supposed to be in jest.

 

However, with that kind of a rueful smile and the subtle hint of a warble in her voice, she seemed almost bitter.

 

Wistful even.

 

“At least I’ve got you here with me.” Yuri blurted out before she could even stop herself. She stuffed with toast and downed it all with coffee, casting her eyes away as pink dotted her cheeks.

 

She didn’t know why she said it. It was like suddenly had a mind of its own.

 

(Or maybe, inwardly, she just didn’t want to see her looking all upset.)

 

Jessica froze for a split of a second. Then, glanced up at her tentatively, her features lighting up just by little. Yuri took it as an encouragement to continue.

 

“It’d if I had to wake up to an empty dorm. Make toast and coffee alone…” Yuri murmured, looking to Jessica bashfully. “At least you’re here.” She said, softly.

 

 A full-blown smile blossomed upon Jessica’s lips and it almost knocked the air out of Yuri, melting and blinding her from the radiance of it.

 

“You should be glad I overslept too. Or I would have ditched you and went on ahead with the others and you will be alone making toast and coffee.”

 

“Nah, you wouldn’t.” Yuri chuckled, waving her off lightheartedly.

 

Jessica ‘s eyes twinkled back at her teasingly. Playfully. “Try me,”

 

At that, Yuri had puckered her lips into a petulant pout.

 

Jessica gave a tinkling, bell-like laugh, eyes crinkling ever so slightly into rare crescents that only appeared whenever she was truly happy.

 

Yuri felt her heart swell.

 

And the mood was saved. Thankfully.

 

After Yuri was done with her breakfast— brunch— they had moved over to the sink as they did the dishes together; shoulders bumping, arms brushing and conversations light and whatnot.

 

If only we could be like this all the time, Yuri thought wistfully.

 

“Hey, do you wanna’ have dinner together after training today?” Jessica had asked, after placing the last of the plates up onto the rack and drying her hands off the kitchen towel.

 

She gazed down at Jessica, smiling. Though, she was sure it didn’t reach her eyes.

 

“Thanks but no thanks, I’m hitting the gym after we’re done with today’s training.”

 

“Don’t you think you’re pushing yourself a little too much?” Jessica’s voice was soft and gentle, and Yuri noted the way her brows had furrowed with concern.

 

The light brush of her fingers against Yuri’s arm elicited a pleasant jolt through her entire system and when glanced down into her eyes, she was burned.

 

“I… I just feel like I need to tone up a little for the comeback, y’know?”

 

A half-truth.

 

As great things were currently going for them at the moment, Yuri honestly didn’t want to push her luck, knowing how fragile things were between them.

 

They could be all sweet and charming with each other for one second, and screaming and chewing one another head’s off the other.

 

It was best if she kept her at a distance.

 

Not too far away, but at the same time… not too close.

 

She noticed the slight fall of Jessica’s smile— catch the glimpse of disappointment fleeting across her eyes. But for the most part, her smile held strong nonetheless.

 

“Alright then. Maybe next time?” Jessica asked, sounding hopeful, looking to her expectantly.

 

Yuri nodded, “Maybe next time.”  

 

Because obviously.

 

She could never find it in herself to shoot her down with such a look.

 

 

--

A/N: I'm just going to drop this one here quickly before the end of the weekends. Thank you all for reading, subscribing and commenting. Means much to me, so thank you very much. :) I see most of you all are already swaying to YulYoung's side. :P But in the mean time, here's some more YulSic. (To maybe change your mind over things). Anddd... more YulYoung moments will be heading your way real soon. So stay tuned. ^^