Melt My Heart To Stone

The Way I Loved You

“What are you guys… eating?”

 

Upon returning back from her short bathroom break, Yuri was greeted by the strange sight of her members huddling round the small coffee table of their waiting room and stuffing their mouths full with—

 

 “Chicken feet. What else does it look like we’re eating?” said Sooyoung in between mouthfuls, and nibbling at said delicacy before carelessly spitting the bones out into another designated bowl.

 

How very idol-like.

 

“Okay… but right before our performance? Really? Aren’t you guys afraid of feeling bloated?” asked Yuri incredulously.

 

She just couldn’t stop herself from gawking at the scene.

 

Members of the top nation girl group. (There were only three of them in at the moment. But still…) Crowding around a tiny table, eating and spitting out… chicken feet?

 

It was so… peculiar.

 

So potentially image-damaging.

 

“We’re just snacking, no biggie.” Taeyeon fanned her off breezily with a particularly greasy hand. “Moreover, Manager-oppa bought this for us, it’ll be a shame to let it go to waste.”

 

“Here, want some?” Sunny offered, grabbing a juicy piece as she held it up in front of Yuri, all so enticingly.

 

Swallowing, Yuri simply couldn’t resist taking the bait and dove right in for the kill.

 

Because. With being an idol, food— especially junk food— will always be a luxury.

 

“How is it?” inquired Sooyoung.

 

“Delicious,” breathed Yuri, a look of bliss washing over her features briefly, though she quickly shook it off. “But doesn’t it get all over your hands and stuff?”

 

“That’s what the over-gloves are here for, dummy.”

 

With some difficulty and a lot of dexterity, the trio had managed to maneuver the small box of plastic over-gloves over to the tanned brunette without the use of their soiled hands.

 

“The decision to join us is yours, my friend.”

 

“I’d suggest you hurry. Before the rest the gang returns…”

 

“Or it’ll be all gone in a blink of an eye.”

 

Eyes widening and gasping in horror at the thought of all nine girls fighting over a bunch chicken feet, Yuri launched herself at the box of over-gloves, tearing through it like a savage as she slipped on a pair for herself.

 

“Gimme’ that!”

 

And just like that, Yuri had joined the feast, adding in to the symphony of noisy slurping and bones clinking against plastic.

 

“Do you think the rest will back anytime soon?”

  

“We’re only up in the second half, towards the end. They’ll take their time with their greetings.” Sunny said, shrugging it off airily.

 

With impeccable timing, the door to their waiting room swung right open as the two Korean-Americans of the group waltzed in.

 

“We’re back!” chimed Tiffany cheerily, bouncing her way over towards them.

 

“Or not,” sighed Sunny.

 

There was a pause.

 

Followed by a gasp of astonishment.

 

“Oh my gosh. Are those what I think they are?”

 

“Ooh, chicken feet!”

 

Jumping and plopping herself into the spot beside Yuri on the already crammed couch, Jessica released a giggle, nudging the tanned brunette in the ribs.

 

“Yuri-yah, I want some. Feed me.” She said, in voice bursting full of aegyo as she puckered her lips into an adorable little pout, eyes wide and seemingly innocent.

 

Before, Yuri would have probably given in to her right there and then. But now, with the slight rift brought between them by their packed individual schedules, it was almost as if she was finally building up a resistance to those disarming kitty-cat eyes of hers.

 

Instead, Yuri merely casted her a side-long glance, quirked a brow and lifted a fairly large piece in front of the fair brunette. Just when Jessica had parted her lips and was right about to dig in, the Black Pearl swiftly swiped it away and shoved it into , leaving the brunette to watch on in envy.

 

She smirked, snorting as she slid the box of disposable over-gloves over to Jessica with only the use of her elbows.

 

“Here, feed yourself.”

 

Jessica humphed and wrinkled her nose in indignation.

 

“Tsk, how stingy…”

 

Nonetheless, she still joined in on the spread peeling herself a pair of over-gloves.

 

Yuri bit back on chuckle.

 

“Fany-ah, you’re not gonna’ to have any?”

 

“Knock yourself out and don’t mind me. I’ll just watch you guys eat.”

 

Tiffany gave a tight smile, not looking entirely enthusiastic over the spread. Settling herself into the chair over by the dresser, away from the coffee table, she whipped out her phone and began tapping away on it— texting someone probably.

 

“Yah, can someone check who’s on right now?”

 

“Uh…—some clinking of bones— Speed.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Speed. That rookie boy group?”

 

“Oh, right. They came to hand us their album not too long ago.”

 

“Ah, it’s getting hard to keep track of all these new groups…”

 

“I know right?”

 

“Uwah, this is seriously delicious!” Jessica proclaimed loudly, cutting into the conversation abruptly.

 

Yuri passed her a quick look and smiled, amusement tugging at the ends of her lips. “Sica, you’ve got a dribble down here,” She pointed to the corner of her gravy-stained lips, holding back on a grin.

 

“Oh crap, my hands are filled. Help me clean it off?” Jessica grinned, eyes gleaming cheekily up at her.

 

“Like mine aren’t. “ Yuri said, snorting, waving her greasy over-gloved hands.

 

“Aw come on, the napkins are closer to you anyway. So please?” She pleaded, fluttering her lashes simperingly as Yuri had to force herself to look away.

 

Urgh, it was those kitty-cat eyes of hers again.

 

Resist it, Yuri-yah. You can do this.

 

Resist it.

 

“Yuri-yah, please? Help me?”

 

And she would have successfully resisted her charms if it weren’t for Jessica shoving her face right up in front of her and pouting like some adorable little kitten. 

 

The Black Pearl sighed resignedly and rolled her eyes, albeit with a hint of a smile curling at her lips.

 

“Fine, commere’,”

 

As simple as that, Jessica’s features had lit up almost instantly as she scooted over closer to Yuri and leaned in slightly towards her, all the while grinning widely.

 

Picking up a napkin, Yuri was right about to wipe the tiny dribble off her lips when a series of polite knocks rapped against their door.

 

Everyone froze, stiffening as they looked to each other in alarm.

 

“Oh crap. Visitors.”

 

“, please don’t let it be a Sunbae. Please, please, please.”

 

Immediately, there was a mad scramble for napkins. With everyone fumbling to remove their disposable over-gloves, the rustle of plastic filled the room, further fueling the panic in the air.  

 

Shoving the few napkins she had to Jessica, Yuri flashed an apologetic look.

 

“Sorry, Sica-yah, but you’ve got to clean that up yourself.” She said and quickly tended to her own overall appearance.

 

However, she didn’t the brief look of disappointment that fleeted across Jessica’s face.

 

The door creaked open and everyone straightened up, smoothening out the last of any crease in their costumes and doing a quick final check for any greasy stains or spots they might have missed.

 

By the time, familiar faces began to peek into their waiting room, everyone was already more or less ready to greet their guests with a warm smile.

 

“Sunbae, hello,” came the chorus of greeting, followed by the train of polite bows.

 

And as per usual, Tiffany was the first to receive the group with large open arms.

 

“Hello! How have you guys been? It’s been a while since you’ve all last dropped by.” She chirped, grinning from ear-to-ear, as she proceeded to engage the newer group in some small talk.

 

Typical Tiffany.

 

She was always ecstatic whenever it came to this very rookie group— APink. Or anything that is pink in general. She practically adored the girls, treated them as if they were her adopted daughters.

 

Smiling and scanning through the set of new faces before her, Yuri realized that she could very well recognize every single one of them now.

 

Granted, she might not know a few of their names, but at least she knew their faces. Then again, that should be a given, considering the number of times their groups had ran into one another at the various broadcast stations.

 

However, now that she could have an actual good look at each of them, she had noticed that there was this distinct air of… something different… around them.

 

They were still the same bunch of girls. Fresh faces, overflowing with innocence and purity.

 

But this time around, there was a look in their eyes— a hardened look— that made them seemed far more guarded than before. More solemn.

 

And Yuri wondered if it had anything to do with the departure of one of their members.

 

Eyes catching an all-too familiar gaze, Yuri broke into a large grin, stepping forth.

 

“Yuri-unni—Sunbae, hello,” greeted Hayoung with a deep, respectful bow.

 

The Black Pearl laughed, lurching forward to grab the girl in a playful choke-hold.

 

“Aish, why are you speaking and acting so formal with me? Didn’t I tell you to speak comfortably with me, Hayoung-ah?” She chuckled, roughly ruffling up the younger girl’s hair.

 

“Ah, Unnie!” Hayoung laughed, trying her best to swat Yuri’s hand away to keep her from further mussing up her hair. “Yuri-unnie, stop it. Please!”

 

“Eyy, that’s much better,” grinned Yuri, lightly flicking the younger girl on the forehead before reaching out towards her for proper hug. “It’s really been a while.” She said with a smile, after pulling away.

 

“Yeah, and I still have Unnie’s jacket with me.” Hayoung beamed, eyes sparkling up at her.

 

“And your glasses is still stowed away, safe in my kitchen drawer.” Yuri paused, her smile wavering slightly. “Hey, I’m still sorry for bailing out on you from the other time. I didn’t know that Sica had a show on, and I’ve never really been to any of her musicals before, you see. And she asked me to go so—“

 

“Unnie, it’s okay. I understand,” said Hayoung, gently cutting Yuri off from her ramblings with a smile. “Members before anything, right?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

And Yuri couldn’t help but notice the wistful glint in her eyes. Or the rueful edge to her smile.

 

She made her mental note to ask her about it later in private.

 

Right about then, Yuri felt a cold chill prickling down her spine. Glancing up, she found herself staring into a pair of cold steely eyes.

 

Jessica.

 

She didn’t like the look she had at the moment.

 

Features blank and completely devoid of emotions, she seemed very much indifferent to everything that was going on around her and was lingering around in the corner by herself.

 

And none of the members from the newer group had even dared to approach her as opposed to the rest of the members who were happily chatting away with some of the members from APink.

 

But with years of knowing her, Yuri could tell from the imperceptible furrow in her brows, the slight downturn to her lips and that piercing gaze…

 

She was pissed.

 

With what, Yuri had no idea.

 

And something told her she wouldn’t really want to know. Especially with the way Jessica was currently staring (glowering) at her.

 

“Sorry to bother you, Sunbae, but are those chicken feet by any chance?” asked one of the members— the leader, Yuri supposed— from the rookie group, eyes glued onto the wide spread of chicken feet on the coffee table.

 

She grinned at the much shorter girl, slightly thankful for the distraction.

 

“Yes, it is. You can help yourself to it if you want. We’ve got plenty.”

 

“Are you sure?” The girl swallowed, eyes never once leaving the spread on the table.

 

“Yes, I’m sure. By all means, go ahead.” Yuri gestured with a cordial smile.

 

“Sunbae, thank you!” With a deep bow of gratitude, the girl scampered over to the coffee table.

 

“You’ve got to excuse Chorong-unnie, she really, really loves chicken feet.” Hayoung chuckled, watching as her Unnie fitted on a pair of over-gloves and started feasting away happily.

 

“Ah, really?” Yuri asked, amused. “How about yourself?”

 

“I like it, but not as much as I love dukbokki,” grinned Hayoung sheepishly in the manner which Yuri found so very endearing.

 

She felt her heart gave a squeeze and her lips curling at its own accord.

 

“Yep, I think I’ve got a clue to how much you love dukbokki now. But anyway, care to have a snack or two?”

 

“Yes!”

 

With a smile and a gentle pat on her shoulder, Yuri ushered the younger girl over to the coffee table, although not before turning to the remaining members of the rookie group.

 

“Guys, do help yourself to some chicken feet,” she announced over all the chattering in the room, receiving a bunch of unified ‘yes’ and ‘thank you, Sunbae.’

 

With the dragging of stools and the slight adjustment in seating arrangements; soon, members from the two groups were gathered around the table, ready to enjoy the feast.

 

From the corner of her eye, Yuri noticed Jessica casually slipping herself into the spot beside her.

 

The couch was already small enough; and with Sooyoung and Sunny taking the other end, it had effectively created a tight sandwich between Hayoung, herself and Jessica. They were so close to one another that their thighs and arms were practically squashed up against one another— not exactly what Yuri would consider to be an ideal situation. 

 

However, looking to both Hayoung and Jessica, they didn’t seem to be the least bit concerned over the extremely close proximity of their bodies. As such, Yuri could only do her best to pretend it didn’t affect her as much.

 

(But it still did.)

 

With a deep inhale, she forced on a smile, deciding to have a go at some small talk, in hopes that it would relieve herself of her rising discomfort.

 

“How does it taste? Delicious right?”

 

“Mmm, yeah. I can totally see why Chorong-unnie is digging this so much,” grinned Hayoung, gingerly nibbling away onto some piece of chicken feet as she occasionally at her lips, making sure that there weren’t any dribbling of gravy.

 

Even when consuming such unflattering food, Yuri was amazed by her ability to maintain such… beauty and grace.

 

She really was pretty.

 

Yuri didn’t even realize she was staring until she felt a (not so gentle) nudge against her shoulder.

 

“Yuri-yah,” crooned Jessica beside her as she turned to glance back at her, but was faced with a sight of a juicy chicken feet held right beneath her nose. “Aah,” Jessica urged, smiling ever so sweetly.

 

Yuri blinked and compliantly parted her lips, stunned, allowing herself to be fed by the fairer brunette beside her.

 

It was only until her vision refocused and she caught sight of a speck gravy on the corner of Jessica’s lips, did she snap out of whatever daze she was in.

 

She shook her head, slid off her over-gloves and reached for some of the loose paper napkins nearby, eyes softening into a tender smile and chuckling as she did so.

 

“Yah, Sica-yah, you really got to look out for your image.” She chided lightly, wiping off the stains of gravy along the edges of the Ice Princess’ lips ever so gently and meticulously. “You keep getting dribble all over. What are you, a child?” Yuri laughed, grinning away while she teasingly bopped the brunette on the nose.

 

Jessica made a face, despite the faint tint of pink to her cheeks, and elbowed the Black Pearl hard in the ribs, scowling as she threw her a mock glare.

 

“Look who’s talking.”

 

“Yah, yah, yah. You two,” Taeyeon pointed to the both of them from across the table, doing her best take of a stern and intimidating leader, but failing miserably. “Play nice.”

 

Jessica merely stuck out her tongue and blew Yuri a raspberry.

 

Huffing and puffing her cheeks out into a petulant pout, Yuri slipped her over-gloves back on and took a vicious bite out of some poor, unsuspecting chicken feet.

 

A muffled giggle sounded beside her.

 

Yuri turned sharply at the direction of the giggle, armed with a playful glare.

 

“Whatcha’ laughing at?”

 

Hayoung quickly shook her head, masking an impish grin behind a piece of chicken feet. “Nothing,” She lilted, eyes twinkling.

 

“Aish,” Yuri clicked her tongue and raised her fist, threatening to knock the girl on the head with her greasy, gravy-filled hand.

 

Hayoung yelped and recoiled away immediately, laughing. “Unnie!”

 

Ever so abruptly, Jessica stood up, cutting Yuri off from her antics.

 

“Where’re you going?” The Black Pearl inquired.

 

“Restroom.” The Ice Princess answered curtly— frigidly— as she ripped off her over-gloves and tossed it into the nearby trashcan.

 

The frisky atmosphere of the waiting room promptly dwindled down to an all-time low.

 

Everyone could only looked on, albeit rather uneasily, as Jessica swiftly made her exit, shutting the door (not so) gently behind her.

 

The slam virtually resonated throughout the entire waiting room, rattling the walls.

 

The room was a dead, awkward silent.

 

“Don’t mind Jessica, she’s just a little cranky from indigestion.”

 

Tiffany interjected smoothly, effectively dispersing the tension in the room away with a blinding disarming grin— a feat that was only accomplishable by the Queen of Eyesmiles herself.

 

Thank god for damage control.

 

Catching Tiffany’s gaze for the briefest of seconds, Yuri thought she saw her eyes glinting back at her knowingly, a small amused smile twirling the edges of her lips.

 

“We should probably leave.”

 

The leader from the rookie group— Chorong, was it?— cleared and rose to her feet, as did with the rest of her other members. Looking to the members of the senior group, she gave a deep dignified bow.

 

“Thank you so much for the chicken feet. We’re sorry for overstaying our welcome, Sunbaes.”

 

“No, no. Don’t be sorry!” Tiffany grinned. “It was really nice of you all for dropping by.”

 

“Do visit us more often! Maybe we could have a potluck together in the future.” Sooyoung winked as they saw their guests to the door.

 

Before she left, Hayoung had turned to look over at Yuri for a final glance.

 

“Bye, Unnie.” She smiled, nodding politely in a small bow.

 

Yuri chuckled and gave her hair a fond tousle. “Bye, see you soon.”

 

As the door to their waiting room finally slammed shut, Yuri whirled back around, only to be faced with the mischievous grins of her members— with the exception of Sunny who seemed more exasperated than anything else— directed right at her.

 

“What?”

 

Sooyoung snorted loudly and rolled her eyes.

 

Taeyeon and Tiffany merely exchanged glances and chuckled, then went over to help in the clearing up the mess that was their coffee table.

 

Pinching at the bridge of her nose wearily, Sunny was the only one left, standing before her. She in a breath and released a weary sigh.

 

“Can you two please— for the love of god— just get back together already? In case you haven’t notice, it’s been getting real hard of us to cover for Jessica’s jealous bouts.”

 

Yuri blinked, momentarily stunned by Sunny’s sudden outburst and revelation, although she quickly recovered, regaining her poise.

 

“Sica’s not jealous. She’s just…” The Black Pearl trailed off, wavering, wrecking her brain for a reason that could at least— somehow— explain Jessica’s actions, but she came up with none. Shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly and waving it off, she said, “You know how she gets moody every now and then…”

 

However, inwardly she was wincing at the small jolt of pain through her chest.

 

She dropped her gaze and pursed her lips into a frown, taking in a deep yet subtle breath as she gathered her thoughts together.

 

No more wishful thinking...

 

No more harping over the past.

 

Just stop right there, Yuri, and look ahead.

 

Don’t let that be a good reason for you to look back.

 

Don’t you ever look back.

 

“Yuri-yah… Are you really that oblivious? Sica obviously still—”

 

At that moment, Jessica had decided to barge right in, snapping the door open roughly.

 

“What?” she asked, looking to Sunny and Yuri, who were both staring at her in dumb shock.

 

“Nothing,” muttered Sunny, looking away.

 

Shrugging, Jessica brushed right past them coldly, shoulder carelessly knocking into Yuri’s.

 

It was almost like a violent snowstorm had just gone by them and whipped them in the face.

 

Yuri sighed, her heart heaving along with her, as she watched the Ice Princess drop herself onto a stool in the far end of the room, furthest away from Yuri, and fiddled around with her phone impassively.

 

She was obviously still very miffed.

 

Yuri tore her gaze away and shook her head.

 

If only she knew what she was thinking…

 

Maybe things wouldn’t have been so complicated.

 

--

A/N: Aand, I'm back. Hope it wasn't too long of a wait, haha. But anyway, thank you all so much for the comments/subs/upvotes and for reading! Here's a real long chappie for you guys, but don't get too spoilt with the fast updates and long chapters though. Future chapters will not be as long and as quick as the previous few chapters. My school break will be ending real soon for me, so yeah. Be prepared for slower (weekly/bi-weekly) updates. ^^" And yep, hope you guys enjoyed the YulSic/Hayoung interactions here. Things are going to get messy really soon, so hang on tight and I'll see you guys soon. (Hopefully)  :)