Fourth

Linger : The Perfect One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyun Chul woke up with the growls of thunder ringing on his ears.  He opens his bleary eyes and found himself lying face down on the bed, an opened book of Kim Jaejoong's diary right beneath him.

 

Oh he fell asleep.   He groaned as he positioned himself neatly on the bed, carefully placing the precious diaries on top of his belly before he lay static, hooded eyes raking through the ceiling of his bedroom.

 

 

When he finally noticed the darkness blanketing the room, his eyes spread open.  Since his curtain is hooked and his bed faces the window, the first thing that greets him once he sat up is the grey sky outside.

 

Hyunchul stares at the ominous scenery with heavy breath.  He's had his fair share of waking up to horrendous weathers after arriving in this mansion, but never before had he seen skies as dark as the one he's currently gawking at.  He slowly made his way off the bed and to the huge window, eyes big at the marvels outside.  Since his room is in the West Wing and is conveniently facing the lake, the gloominess somehow intensifies. 

 

A silver line of lightning flashes in the sky and Hyun Chul winced.

 

He didn't get to linger long on the uneasiness currently residing in his stomach as the sound of knocking echoes from the door of his room. 

 

Hyun Chul turns around to have a look at the door but stopped for a moment when he notices how gloomy his room is.  Everything looks grey and dim.

 

There was a knock on the door again and with a frown (he didn't even know why he's frowning), he went and open it.

 

There is a maid on the opposite side of the door, bowing upon seeing him. 

 

"The head butler sent me to call you in for breakfast," the maid announces.  The frown on Hyun Chul's face dissolves as he bend his body over to look at the grandfather clock perched at the corner of his room.

 

10:00 am.

 

Good Lord, no wonder Butler Lee ask people to call him down for breakfast, he overslept.  Usually, he'd  went down for it instead.

 

He stiffles the urge to groan as he smiles, nodding before he follow the leads of the maid.

 

 

**********

 

Butler Lee has always been cold to him, to everyone in fact (Hyun Chul assumes it was due to the overwhelming sense of professionalism in him), but today he was extraordinarily cold that Hyun Chul didn't dare to even smile during breakfast. 

 

 

After finishing his European-styled breakfast that consist of sauteed mushroom and smoked mozerella omelette, he signals Butler Baek who was standing in a corner to follow him.

 

 

Just as he was about to leave the dining area, Butler Lee spoke up. 

 

"Excuse me, sir, but what pre-arrangement would you like me to do for the arrival of your friend?" he asked monotonously.

 

Hyun Chul frowns.

 

"Friend?"

 

"Yes, Mr. Park.  Master Jun Su told us he'd be coming over to spend his 2-weeks holiday here.  I suppose he told you all about it," the butler says again.

 

Hyun Chul fidgets uncomfortably, not knowing what to say. 

 

"Judging by your expression, sir, you haven't got the slightest clue of his plan.  Curious, absolutely curious," Butler Lee remarked in no particular tone, but there was that icy dubiousness underneath his voice that causes Hyunchul to grimace.

 

 

"I didn't know," he finally says after a few minutes of contemplation. “Oh that’s how he always does things alright!  I bet he wanted to surprise me, but forgot to tell you all to not say a word to me!  That friend of mine is really,” Hyun Chul added awkwardly. 

 

The butler was quiet for a while as every single soul in the room stays rigid, sensing the tense atmosphere between the two. 

 

"Of course, sir," the butler finally replies curtly.

 

********  

Hyun Chul paces in his room while biting his nails as he waited for Mr. Park to answer the phone.

 

"Yes, what is it?" a husky voice greeted him from the other line.

 

"Mr. Park, Kim Jungsoo is coming, should I be happy or should I be worried?" Hyunchul babbles as fast as a bullet train.

 

"What?"

 

"Kim Jungsoo, or was it Kim Junsu?" Hyunchul added unsurely.  "He is coming to spend  a couple of weeks here."

 

"," Mr. Park curses (this is the first time Hyunchul has ever heard him curse), "that means he's suspicious."

 

Hyunchul didn’t dare to breath a word as he listens to the groans of Mr. Park from the other line.

 

“You just stay there.  Don’t worry.  I’ll talk to him.  I knew he wouldn’t just sit still, Junsu must’ve known something’s wrong.  And by the way-“ Mr. Park’s tone was hard at the last part, “-his name is Kim Junsu.  The least you could do is to learn his name properly, epsecially if you’re going to stay at that house as his friend.  Do your part properly, Hyunchul-ssi.  Do not make me regret choosing you.”

 

Hyunchul winces as Mr. Park cut the line.  After a while, he merely sigh before tossing the (expensive) phone on the bed. 

 

After a while, there was another knock on the door.  This time he knew who it was.

 

He immediately opens the door and was greeted with the sight of a very jumpy Butler Baek.

 

"With all due respect, sir, what on earth just happened on the dining table?" Butler Baek says as he enters the room.

 

"I don't know.  Butler Lee is acting up again.  Anyway, how did you manage to slither off and meet me here?" Hyun Chul asks.

 

"Oh-" Butler Baek scratch his non-itchy head with a wide grin, "I told Butler Lee I developed some flu because of the weather, so he sent me away to rest because he didn't want me to infect anyone.  So, sir, why do you call me here?"

 

Hyun Chul smiles before he nudge towards the direction of the diaries on his bed.

 

"Sir, you called me in to read it?"

 

Hyun Chul nodded.  He needed a company to read those diaries because being alone in his room in the middle of such weather didn't sit well with him right now.  He needs company, and there's nobody else he trust more in this house other than Butler Baek. 

 

 

They just have to meet secretly because Butler Lee seemed so wary everytime he sees them two, meeting up in front of him again may rouse suspicion, and indirectly leads the old butler to the diaries currently stacked in his room. 

 

 

"I- I'm sorry, sir, but I don't approve us reading all these.  I'm not trying to scare you here, b-but,” the young butler looks around him while quivering before he whispers in a raspy tone, “I think we’ve angered him."

 

Hyun Chul frowns.

 

"Angered who?  Late Kim Jaejoong?"

 

Butler Baek nods.  "Can't you see how dark the sky is at the moment?  It's so dark it might as well be night.  This is an omen, sir.  Master Kim Jaejoong isn't happy."

 

As if on cue, a flash of lightning rumbles in the sky.

 

"He didn't like it that we read his diary, and he wants us to know that.  This is a sign, sir.  We better hand this over to Butler Lee.  He'll know what to do," the young butler suggest, sounding eager to send the diary away.

 

Hyun Chul looked at the butler blankly, trying very hard to ignore the sound of sudden shower outside.  Then, he avert his eyes to the three books on top of his bedding.

 

The lighting flash again and it gave the room an ominous feeling.

 

Butler Baek must've sensed the chillness in the air, so he went to the switch panel on the wall and turns the lights on.  Once the yellow lights from the antique old lamp bath the room, it loses it's ominous vibe, but somehow the chill is still here.

 

"No," Hyun Chul says short, his lips curled in determination.  He turns to Butler Baek with indecipherable eyes.  "I'm going to read it.  I'm not going to hand it over to anyone.  If you don't want to read it, I won't force you to.  Just keep me company, can you do that?" he asked earnestly.

 

Butler Baek look at him for a while before he hesitantly nods.

 

"Thank you," he smiled.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

The next page was opened and before Hyun Chul knows it, he was swept away to the world of Kim Jaejoong yet again.

 

*************

 

I swear I didn't notice that dickhead following me.  So there I was, standing prettily in the balcony while staring at stars that are almost as pretty as I am. 

 

Everything was fine, until that monkey I called Matthew Sinclair decided to come over.

 

****

 

"Hey pretty~" a man in black mask greeted the preoccupied Jaejoong. 

 

Too accustomed to have people pesting him like this, Jaejoong ignores him.

 

"Oooh, pretty is playing hard to get," Matthew Sinclair aka Kim Hee Chul's boyfriend teasingly says.

 

"What do you want, Matthew?  Don't you have an ugly hag to fuss over?" Jaejoong flips him off in boredom. 

 

"Ah, Hee Chul you mean?" Matthew said as he lean on the balcony railing right next to Jaejoong.  "He would have a field day if he knew you said that.  Anyway, since I'm in a good mood today I won't tell him you said that.  He's too busy bragging at his friends over his diamond ring anyway.  A brand new 10 carat white diamond ring, with the edges crusted with swarovski crystals.  It’s a VS1 and it costs me a fortune."

 

Jaejoong furrowed his brows cynically at him.  Well, look who's bragging now?

 

Matthew smiled sheepishly as he puts on what Jaejoong would call 'The Face' aka the face or expression everyone always make whenever they tried to court him.  Unimpressed, he cross his arms in an arrogant manner, waiting for Matthew to spew his s.

 

"Now now pretty, no need to get your up in a bunch-"

 

"Boxers you means?" Jaejoong corrects him in a dull tone,  "In case if you didn't noticed, I have ."

 

Unfazed by the straight declaration, Matthew continued smiling.  "Alright, no need to get your boxers in a bunch.  I can buy it for you too if you wants."

 

"But I need to give you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter