Third

Linger : The Perfect One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hyun Chul and Butler Baek huddles next to each other near the fireplace, their eyes trained on a certain series of red-leathered books.  

 

 

"Do you think it's appropriate for us to read it?" Butler Baek asked, eyes latched on the pile of books.

 

 

"Well, I don't know.  But, he's like dead, right?" Hyun Chul hesitantly says, "So it wouldn't really hurt anyone if we read this."

 

 

Butler Baek tear his eyes away from the diaries for the first time and frowned at Hyun Chul and his ridiculous reasoning.  "But what about Master Jung?  Would he be mad if he knew we read his dead wife's journal?"

 

 

"If it's in here and nobody enters this place, I'm gonna assume Mr. Jung didn't even know about the existence of this.  If he did, he'd take it with him instead of leaving it here, wouldn't he?” Hyun Chul softly replies, deeply compelled to turn over to the first page.

 

 

He didn’t know why, but Kim Jaejoong has always been an enigma to him, a mystery.  How can one be so perfect, Hyun Chul can never understand.  He looks pretty even when he didn’t try to, and it fascinates borderline irks him sometimes (especially after he lives in this mansion) when he sees how everyone else including him adores the dead model so much.  Surely no one can be that perfect.   

 

 

Without saying another word, he turns to the first page.  The black and white photo of Kim Jaejoong greets him again, but only for a brief while because Hyun Chul immediately turns to the content of the book.

 

 


January 1st 2009,
Dear diary,

 

 

I got a new gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *squeals like a fangirl*  Like I was saying the other day, last night we had that super grand annual new year’s eve party for our agency and guess what, this beautiful Kim Jaejoong here totally beautify the function!!!!!!!  And- 

 

Hyun Chul and Butler Baek looked at each other upon reading that, dumbfounded.  Well, that clearly isn’t the Kim Jaejoong they know.  Compelled to know about this Kim Jaejoong more, they continued reading.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Butler Lee keeps giving him weird looks.  Hyun Chul tried to look as spontaneous as he can while he continues eating.   Butler Baek who was standing at the corner of the room along with 2 other maids stares at them awkwardly.

 

Hyun Chul currently is having his dinner after spending most of his day reading Mrs. Jung’s diary with Butler Baek.  The both of them has been too preoccupied with the diaries that they lost track of time.  Two maids had to be ordered to dispatch them by the worried butler Lee for dinner.

 

 

The silence in the dining area was broken when Mr. Jung, the owner of the mansion walks in, clad in his black Armani suit.  The maids bow upon seeing him.  Hyun Chul himself stopped eating, too busy gaping at the man whom he rarely meet.  

 

 

Mr. Jung hands over his briefcase to Butler Lee, muttering a few things before walking out of the room in the company of the butler.  That’s not really surprising.  Mr. Jung never really ate with him at any times of the day.  The only time they had ate together is on the first day Hyun Chul had came to the house (Hyun Chul suspect he only does it out of his sense of obligation as the host) and it was awkward as hell.  

 

 

Hyun Chul who felt unwelcomed barely says anything (though he was severely tempted to because the silence was too deafening), and Mr. Jung didn’t say anything either.  

 

 


According to one of the maids (when Hyunchul had asked about the absence of the master on the second night), Mr. Jung apparently never has any of his meals on the dining area (even before Hyunchul came).  He prefer to take it in the sanctuary of his room.  Now that Hyun Chul thinks of it, he feels something akin to sympathy for the older man.  What is it that he had experienced in life that had made him such an isolated man.

 

Hyunchul sigh to himself before he resumes eating.  He didn’t know why, but seeing the cold and indifferent Jung Yunho just now made him feel so helpless.

 

Just then, his phone (more like the phone Park Yoochun provided for him) rang.  Hyunchul almost choke in his food, taken by surprise.  Giving cursory glances at the maids in the dining area, Hyunchul contemplated whether or not he should take the call outside.  But then again, that would be even more suspicious, so he resigns with answering the phone right then and there.

 

“Yes,” he murmured into the phone.

 

“Why are you whispering?” Mr. Park’s deep voice assaulted his ear drum, “-Are you in the company of someone else?  Should I call later?”

 

“No, it’s fine.”

 

“Who is it?  Is it Jung Yunho?”

 

“No.  Not him.  I’m just eating dinner right now, all by myself,” Hyunchul cautiously reply, wanting to sound vague without sounding suspicious to the maids.

 

“All by yourself?  He’s not eating with you?” something in Mr. Park’s voice right then spells danger.  Hyunchul gulp.

 

“No.  He never does.”

 

Mr. Park sighs heavily from the other line.  “Please tell me you two have at least spoken with each other today.  Did you even see him?”

 

“Yes, just now.  But only for a brief while.”

 

Mr. Park sighs again.  “Okay, fine.  Make sure you meets him more often in the future.  Try to get close to him.  Do not forget all the lessons and etiquette you had been taught.  Is there anything else you need to tell me?”

 

The first thing Hyunchul thought of upon hearing that was the diaries.  But, for some reason, he decided to hold his tongue for the time being. 

 

“No.”

 

“Okay, good.”  The line immediately went dead. 

 

Hyunchul stays frozen in his seat, his hand that was holding the phone slowly slid down from his ear. 

 

He looks around.  All those servants are still in the position they were 5 minutes ago, including Butler Baek.  Hyunchul gave his dinner one last fleeting look before he signals Butler Baek to come closer.

 


The butler obeys. 

 

 

“I think the head butler knew we’re on to something.  He keeps on looking at me after we arrived,” Butler Baek says in a dispirited tone once he stood in front of Hyunchul.

 

 

Hyun Chul would’ve panicked upon hearing that had his focus hadn’t been on the mysterious master Jung.  “I know, I know-“ he simply says.  “Butler Baek, can you take me to his room,” Hyunchul suddenly requested.  

 

"Whose?  Butler Lee?"

 

"No.  Mr. Jung."

 

Butler Baek widened his eyes.  

 

 

“Why?” the butler asked back.  Usually servants wouldn’t question the action of the master as well as the guests of the house, but the butler and the guest had been strangely bonded today, so he’s sure his questioning nature wouldn’t irritate the curious guest.

 

 

 

Hyunchul bit his lower lips, trying to find the most plausible excuse he can find.  “Eating alone is lonely.  I wouldn’t wish that upon my worst enemy.  And he’s been doing that since his wife died.  Just imagine how much pain he kept to himself.  It’s not healthy.  If he keeps doing that, he’ll never be able to open up to anybody else for the rest of his life,” Hyun Chul says.  This was supposed to be a mere excuse, and yet why did Hyunchul suddenly feels so emotional.

 

 

“But, sir, you don’t understand.  He hates it when people disturb him.  If you really bother him, I’m afraid he wouldn’t even bother to be civil with you,” replied the reluctant butler.

 

 

 

“Butler Baek, please,” Hyun Chul begged.  Because somehow he knew already, what the greatest play Mr. Park is currently planning.  He had always known Mr. Park’s joke tend to go overboard, but this time, he’s borderline disgusting.  

 

 

Mr. Park is a bad friend and Hyun Chul couldn’t wait until their business is over to spit that out to his face. As for now, Hyun Chul didn’t know whether or not he should tell Mr. Jung that it was Mr. Park who sent him here.  Mr. Park after all held the key to his brother’s freedom.  So, Hyunchul has to play docile.

 

 

He’s sure Mr. Jung wield such power as well, but he isn’t sure if Mr. Jung would be willing to help him after knowing the real reason why Hyunchul is there.  Who would help his brother then?  

 

 

When butler Baek saw the musing young man and the thin layer of regret on his eyes, he heave a sigh and relents.  

 

“Sir, do follow me,” he says softly.

 

Hyun Chul smiles.  

 

 

He follows the lead of the butler, ignoring the inquiring look they both received from the maids. 

 

 

They went through a rather familiar path and after quite a tedious journey, they stopped in front of a door.

 

 

"I don't know if I'm allowed to enter this place though. The South Wing is  locked to forbade all the staffs, other than Butler Lee, from entering the place,” Butler Baek says.

 

“Even the cleaning staff?” 

 

Butler Baek nods.  "Yes, even the cleaning staff.  Everything in the South Wing is under the maintenence of Butler Lee."

 

Hyun Chul found himself frowning even more, uncaring even though his curiosity seemed to have irate the butler a bit.  "But why?"

 

 

“We don’t ask questions in this house.  We only follow the rules of our master.  Other than Butler Lee, no one really knows why,” the butler claims, before dropping down his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter