Confession

I'm Okay

"I had just moved out of my parents house. We had been fighting a lot and I just wanted to be on my own, so I told them I was leaving and never gave them any more information than that. I haven't spoken to them in years... Anyway he lived in the apartment complex that I moved into, so we saw each other often in passing. Eventually we started to spend more time together and became pretty close but we were never anything more than friends. I got a letter in the mail that summer from the college here saying I had been excepted. My tuition was completely covered; the only thing I had to pay for was room and board. I was ecstatic but when I told him the news he was really upset, angry that I would leave him. We didn't talk for awhile after that."

I paused, wondering what my life would be like now if our interactions had ended there.

"Then, two weeks before I left for college he showed up at my door. He said that he didn't have a reason to be upset anymore because he was going too. I was so happy that our friendship had been salvaged that I didn't even question how it had happened. He had never shown any interest in attending school here... That should've been my first clue something was strange but..."

Siwon's hand squeezed my shoulder, encouraging me to continue.

"I found an apartment that was pretty cheap and was a few miles off campus while he moved into a more expensive one right by campus. Everything was going great. I was doing well in my classes and maintained a job at a diner to provide money for rent. I never saw him on campus but we still hung out and he came to the diner I worked at a lot. Eventually he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. We had so much fun together... Then things started to change."

"He asked me to move in with him. I told him no... Moving in with him implied.. well... I wanted to save myself for marriage and I was comfortable where I was. He seemed put off at first but he didn't bring it up again. About a week later I got a call from the diner. My boss said she couldn't keep me on staff any longer; she apologized but never offered any explanation. I didn't understand. I had been a great employee and I'd never had any problems! He comforted me and told me not to worry, that I would find another job in no time. But I didn't. I applied to countless jobs; they always seemed promising at first but then I wouldn't get any calls back. My savings were dwindling. I wasn't going to be able to pay next months rent. He brought it up again. I-I didn't have anywhere else to go so I said yes. I thought he was just looking out for me."

"It was fine at first. It was a one bedroom apartment so I slept on the couch. One night I was studying and he came home drunk. He started making advances but I fought him off. He stormed off to his room and slammed the door. The next morning he apologized, blamed it on being drunk. But it kept happening, he started hitting me too. He would always be so nice the next day and apologize like crazy, promising that it would never happen again, until I forgave him. I was heading home from class one day when I ran into one of my former coworkers from the diner. We decided to grab a cup of coffee and catch up. I told her that I had to move in with him since I couldn't afford my apartment anymore and she seemed really shocked. She said I should move out, when I asked why she started apologizing. She said that the reason my boss had let me go was because my boyfriend had threatened her. She thought that it was just something about the job that he didn't like and that I would find something else so she never told me. We parted ways and I went back to his apartment."

"When he came home he had of course been drinking. I confronted him with what I had found out. I expected him to offer an explanation, to deny it, to apologize, something... But he went into a rage. He said that I was an ungrateful prude towards him but a around everyone else. That he did it to keep me from around. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. How could he accuse me like that? I tried to leave. He-he wouldn't let me." My voice started to shake. I had never told anyone before but I felt like I could trust Siwon. I took a deep breath and continued. "He started hitting me and insulting me a-and then he... He forced himself on me." I couldn't hold it in any longer; a sob escaped my lips.

Siwon's arms immediately encircled me and pulled me into his chest. I clung to his t-shirt, letting my tears escape. He just held me and rubbed my back until I calmed down. He handed me a tissue and I cleaned my face up a bit before drawing in a shaky breath.

"Sorry, I'm okay."

"Minhee, you know, it's okay to... not be okay." His low whisper comforted me as he grabbed my hands, drawing soothing circles with his thumbs.

I didn't answer. In my mind, being 'okay' was what I held onto. He simply nodded in response to my silence and continued his calming ministrations on my hands.

"Does your boyfriend know about this?" I looked up at him in shock... He thought that this was in the past... He didn't realize...

"S-siwon?"

"Mmm?"

​"He- he is my boyfriend." His hands froze.

"What?"

"I thought you realized..."

"You're still with... Was he the one who put you in the hospital too?! ...I sent you right back to him..." He stood abruptly. "I swear I'm going to kill him."

"No!" I yelled in fear. Anger rolled off of him in waves. "You promised!"

"You expect me to sit here and do nothing while that bastard is still out there?!" He roared. I couldn't help but flinch in response. In my life yelling meant danger. "Aish..." He noticed my cowering stance and let out a breath, leaning down to my eye level.

"Minhee-ah..." I met his eyes... He had never called me that before. "Please don't be afraid of me. I'll never hurt you... I'm sorry for yelling like that it's just that... Everything in me is screaming out to protect you." His hand ran through my hair. "You're still cold." He noticed my shivering. "You should rest." I nodded and he lifted the covers for me.

"Do you want me to stay here or... I could call Jiwon?"

​"Stay... please."

"Of course." He settled himself in the chair he had occupied while I was sleeping.

Facing the opposite side of the room, I tried my best to stop my muscles from quivering but even the mountain of blankets weren't helping. I wanted Siwon closer to me. I was cold and scared and I wanted him to hold me but I couldn't bring myself to ask him.

"Minhee?"

​"Mhmm?"

​"Is it okay if I lie down beside you? I won't do anything and I'll stay on top of the covers... It's just... you're still shivering and--"

"Yes." I cut him off.

I felt the mattress shift with the weight of his body and his arm came around my waist hesitantly.

"Is this okay?" Instead of responding verbally, I moved my hand from under the covers and grasped his. I felt my eyelids begin to droop as his warmth enveloped me. I was safe here.

 

 

 

Annyeong! I was so encouraged by Nicoleicole's comment that I wrote the next chapter. Please give me your opinions; they're much appreciated! Kamahamnida readers! *bows*