Indecisive

I'm Okay

The car ride home was silent. When we entered the apartment he glared at the dirty carpet and stormed to the bedroom, slamming the door behind him. My feet carried me to the closet where the cleaning supplies were kept and I gathered everything I would need. I removed the glass and continued cleaning, scrubbing at the stubborn stains for hours. By the time I had finished the kitchen clock read 2:00 am.

I sunk into the couch.

Was this going to be the rest of my life? Being at war with myself?

Part of me hated what he had done to me and wanted him to be punished. But most of me had already forgiven him and began making excuses. He didn't mean to hurt me. I never listened well enough. He loved me like no one else could.

No!

Nothing gives him the right to hit me, to torture me like this! I should tell the police and land his sorry in jail.

No...

How embarrassing. I couldn't imagine everyone knowing everything that he had done to me. They would never look at me the same. Everyone would look at me with pity for the rest of my life. I'm not weak, I don't want pity! I'm okay!

That's right. I'm okay. This is where I belong. The best thing I could do was to try to be a better girlfriend. Try to please him. I just needed to try harder.

As my eyes closed I vowed to myself that I would try harder starting tomorrow.

 

 

 

During the past few weeks Jiwon has texted and called me several times to check up on me or invite me over. I haven't picked up or replied. I do my best to avoid any of the guys at school and pretend not to hear them if they call for me. Life at the apartment hadn't changed much. He put me back in line when I stepped out and it seemed that I showed no improvement no matter how hard I tried to be good to him. I was always messing up; I felt myself sigh as I pushed a cart through the grocery store aisles. I just needed to try harder.

My cart slowly filled as I gathered groceries for the week. I studied two cartons of soymilk, debating which I should choose. The first one was his favorite brand and was more expensive, the other boasted added nutrients and an attractive price. I grabbed the second and placed it in the cart staring at it carefully. No. I quickly exchanged it and stared at it again, repeating several times before I stood flustered with one in each hand. Fine, the more expensive one wins.

"Indecisive much?"

The interruption startled me, causing me to drop both cartons as I spun around.

"Woah! Easy there, sorry for scaring you... again." Siwon's dimpled smile greeted me.

I quickly bent down to retreive the cartons, placing one in the cart and continuing in the opposite directions.

"Hey, wait!" His long strides caught up to me quickly. "I haven't seen you in awhile, are you doing okay?"

I nodded my head, hoping he would get the message and leave me alone.

"Why don't you come over? Jiwon's around here somewhere, I'm sure she'd love to see you."

My eyes widened. Not Jiwon. I don't think I could say no to her... or even get the opportunity to.

"Siwon? There you are. Oh! Minhee!"

Too late. I was bombarded with Jiwon's embrace and I winced when her hand squeezed a new bruise.

"Jiwon let her breathe! Are you okay?" Had he noticed? This wasn't going well at all.

"I'm okay, I'm really in a ru--" I attempted.

"Nonsense! You have to come over for dinner! I've missed you!" She grabbed my arm and began leading me towards the checkout as jabbered on. I glanced at Siwon's smirking face for help. He shoved his hands in his pockets and shrugged while tilting his head as if to say "what can you do?"

"Thank you Jiwon, but I really can't, my boyfriends waiting for me." I tried. Well, it wasn't a lie.

Jiwon pouted. "Why have you been avoiding me?"

"I-I haven't--"

"Good! Then you'll come over for dinner tomorrow? I'll see you then!" She skipped out of the store, towing Siwon with her; he gave an apologetic wave before he was whisked out the door.

I sighed. I had to find a way out of this.

He would be upset if I was devoting all my time to other people, especially guys. Contemplating what to do, I trudged home, lugging several bags of groceries. My car had broken down so I now walked everywhere. The apartment was only two miles away but it seemed much further with the extra weight.

Upon reaching my destination I began unpacking and storing all of the things I had picked up. My body continued the task mindlessly as I ran through possible solutions to my predicament. I could always not show up... but Jiwon would probably come get me.

Maybe he would let me go? No, I shouldn't ask so much of him.

I could tell her I got sick! Yes! Totally valid excuse. I would call her right before dinner to her I wouldn't be able to come because I wasn't feeling well. There wouldn't be time for her to come up with an alternative. With that burden off my chest I continued my task with renewed enthusiasm. I just needed to try harder.

 

 

Okay, double update *check*. I was thinking of giving Minhee's boyfriend a name, what do you guys think? I can never think of a good name for himand it might be too late in the story to suddenly start calling him by name. Hmm... please let me know what you think. Also, I know it's really annoting when authors ask for somments but it really is helpful. It's encouraging and it helps me to improve. Anyway, please enjoy. Kamsahamnida! *bows*