Bullies

I Don't Care...I Think

It was the Monday after Dasom and I became best friends. We exchanged numbers and she told me she found a new manga that I had to read and she would be bringing it to school so I can borrow it.

It was a bit strange talking a lot with someone. It's been two years since I stopped having friends and although the guys and I are still patching up our friendship, I felt really comfortable with Dasom as I remembered everything that's happened so far with her. I smile as I walk in the hallways towards my locker, distracted by my thoughts. Music blasting from my earphones as I walk forward not noticing the whispers and looks of people around me confused by my happy expression.

---------------------------------

Dasom was waiting at Myungsoo’s locker hoping they could talk a bit before heading to class. She had brought the manga volume she mentioned to him and was excited what he thought about it. She was flipping through it and hadn't realized more people had crowded around her.

“What are you doing in front of Oppa’s locker?” some girl asks.

Dasom looks up. “Waiting for him” she mumbles as she realizes who it was.

“Why would you of all people wait for him?” The girl named Jisoo asks.

“I’m friends with him” Dasom looks at her with no expression.

“Don't make me laugh. Oppa is too cool to have any friends.” The other girl named Hayoung who has short straight hair with thin bangs says.

“Especially you, the lonely ” Jisoo says with a smirk as Dasom flinches with the unneeded insult.

“Look.” Dasom says calmly as she catches their attention, “I don't see why Myungsoo can't be friends with whoever he wants to be” she hugs her book as she says it.

“Really? We see right through you. All you want is for him to be with you. We saw last week how you constantly annoyed him until he talked to you.” Jisoo looks at her with scorn.

“You're only annoying him just to break his heart, you ty pest” the other girl Semi with long curled hair adds.

Dasom raises her eyebrow. “You know I’m not like that”

“Really? You don't remember what you did to Kim Jongdae?” They say as they smirk seeing that Dasom widens her eyes, surprised.

“I-I didn’t” Dasom stammers as Jisoo steps closer to Dasom making her take a step back.

“You are a heartless .” She pushes Dasom to the locker.

By that time Myungsoo turns the corner towards his locker as he witnesses some girl pushing Dasom who had her eyes open wide surprised.

“Hey Myungsoo” he hears a voice behind him as he walks faster to his locker pulling out his earphones and putting them in his pocket.

“What? You thought because you used to hang out with us that we were the best of friends?” Jisoo chuckles as the other two laugh behind her.

“You were nothing more than a pest, Dasom.”

Dasom blinks back her tears. She always considered them her friends but now here they were telling her she was a burden that there was no real friendship between them.

“Dasom!” I yell. She turns to the me yelling as she slightly smiles at me.

I pull Dasom behind me and look furiously at the girls.

“What the hell do you think you're doing?!” I yell.

The three girls were taken by surprise as I hardly spoke to them let alone yell at them.

“Myungsoo oppa, I was only trying to get rid of this stalker for you” Jisoo cutely says as her two minions nod.

I scoff at them. “Dasom is my best friend, you-” I didn't get to finish my sentence as someone else beat me to it as I turn to the voice who had greeted me earlier.

“If there's any stalkers here, it's you three” Sungyeol looks at them with disgust.

The girls widen their eyes at the insult.

“You don't know what you're talking about” Hayoung determined.

“Yea, you don't even know the kind of person this is” Semi insults Dasom again making Sungyeol and I annoyed.

“You're the ones always trying to throw themselves at me. I call that pretty disgusting.” I sneer.

“Remember what I said before, look at yourself in the mirror before approaching someone” Sungyeol spat.

“Myungsoo, I think we should just go” Dasom whispers as she tugs my sleeve and I slightly turn to nod.

“Oh is the trying to run away?” I turn back my attention to the girl with the bow.

Knowing it would drag on if we continue arguing, I grab Dasom’s wrist and walk pass the girls but they grab her other arm while another pulls her hair.

She screamed so loud and fell to the floor that the book she held fell towards their feet. I widened my eyes amazed by the nerve of these girls. Dasom's screams didn't go unnoticed and attracted a group of people who were walking by but I didn't notice who. Sungyeol, who wasn't quick enough to stop them went straight to Dasom. I bent down to help Dasom as she gave me a sad look; my insides boiling.

Dasom reaches towards the book as the girl named Semi steps on it and picks it up with a smirk.

“Huh, romance and action... and hopeless love?!” She gives Dasom a taunting look.

“You were always a weird one” she throws the book towards a garbage bin but a hand reaches out to grab it before it lands in.

We hear a new voice.“Didn't your parents ever teach you any manners?”

We look up to see the new voice as we see Jongdae walk towards Dasom to give her back her manga book. She smiles at him timidly; quietly saying thanks.

He ruffles Dasom’s hair and whispers, “Ignore them. It's all in the past now” as she lets a tear fall down. He smiles at her and turns to the girls.

“Yah, get out my face. There's no reason for you all to bully Dasom. She hurt me, not you”

Upon hearing that Dasom puts her head down a bit as she sits on the floor feeling guilty.

“But oppa she's a . She'll taint your reputation”

“Yah! Where do you get all these stupid ideas”

“You don't know her like we do Oppa”

“Don't call me that. I'm not close to you” he spat.

I notice that Sandeul, Daehyun and Baekhyun were on the side watching everything. I realized that they were the group that were walking by when Dasom screamed.

“But Oppa she went out with you and wanted to go out with another boy!”

“We were kids!” He yells.

“That's the beginning of her ty life!”

“Where do you think she went for two years after?! Jisoo counters back at him.

This shut Jongdae up since he had no clue what happened to her those two years.

Jisoo smirked. “See you don't know.”

She looks at Dasom judgingly. “She was probably out on the streets being a . Don't you think it's weird how her little sister isn't here anymore?”

“Stop” Dasom whispers as she lifts up her head and starts to stand up shaking with anger as Sungyeol and I help her stand.

“You need to stop.” I warn her, knowing that Dasom's sister was still a sensitive issue.

She scoffs at me and continues, “She probably left her in the streets on her own to come back to school and be a here. She already has you all around her ing finger.”

“I said stop!” Dasom yells, tears running down her face, her fist balled up on her sides.

The rest of the guys look taken aback by her sudden outburst but I knew otherwise. They had finally pushed her buttons when they brought Jieun into everything.

“Dasom, we need to go” I say calmly as she stands firmly.

“You think a little yell would scare us?” they say tauntingly.

“Please, you're such a goody two shoes that you won't do anything, am I right?” Hayoung says.

Dasom steps forward “You don't know anything about me. So back off.”

“Oh I know plenty, you want me to list every boy you liked back then? How you planned everything to go smoothly when you annoyed,stalked, and asked them out.”

“Or maybe how you used your sister because you were shy but needed her to be your ”

Next thing I knew Jisoo faced to the side after Dasom slaps her. I run to hold Dasom back in case of another attack.

“Don't ever talk about my sister like that. You didn't even know her!”

“Dasom, Jieun wouldn't want you to hit anyone.” I whisper hoping to get through her.

“Oh yea then where is she? Huh? Why don't you prove to me that's it's all a lie” she smirked.

I clench my teeth and unconsciously let go of Dasom as she stood there frozen, crying in her spot as she was remembering Jieun.

The rest of the guys were confused.

“You've done enough don't you think?” I ask, clenching my teeth and fists.

“She just needs to show her sister and I might believe her.”

“Why does she need to give you proof of anything? What will this prove or satisfy?! Jongdae asks as I held onto Dasom as she continues to cry.

“You see O-PPA” Jisoo emphasizes as he cringes and tightens his jaw.

“She doesn't deserve to hang out with you all, let alone Myungsoo oppa. She's just using you all to get what she wants. Isn't that how she used you?” She concluded innocently.

Jongdae stares at her furiously.

“She left out of the blue and comes back looking different and without a sister” she scoffed.

“Knowing her for so long of course we knew she had a secret.” she says as the other two useless minions nod.

“Yo, ugly hags why don't you just leave with your jealousy and never come back cuz' that's all I hear from you all” Sungyeol spat as the girls roll their eyes.

“Look Sungyeol, I don't see what you all look in her. She'll use you and ignore you like her little sister. Isn't that right Dasom? She said tauntingly.

“Shut up! Don't bring Jieun into this! Dasom yells crying.

“Prove your so called dignity and bring your sweet lwittle sister that did whatever you told her to be”

“And your reputation might get better” they laugh.

The guys look at the girls with hatred.

I was still hugging Dasom as she whispers “I can't.”

The girls stop laughing, look at her with hatred as they see me still hugging Dasom.

“You can't? Or you won't?!” short haired girl sneered.

“Plus get away from Myungsoo you !” Jisoo steps forward as Jongdae places himself in front of her to prevent her from getting closer to Dasom.

Dasom pulls away from my hug calmly. I eye her as she turns to look at them.

“I can't bring my sister even though I would love to prove you wrong of your insensitive and cruel accusations.”

“Just know I always cherished our friendships and would like to ask one thing from you”

“Please as much as you hate me for some unknown reasons don’t ever speak badly about my sister. She's never done anything to you.”

“You steal Jongdae and Myungsoo away from me and you think this will make me not hate you!!” Jisoo yells.

“Bring your filthy ty sister so I can humiliate both of you for stealing my men both then and now, you !” she screams as she lounges forward.

“Hey!--” Jongdae, Sungyeol, and I start saying until we’re interrupted by Dasom.

“I can't bring someone back from the grave! Dasom yells as I look worriedly at her. The rest of the guys stay speechless, eyes wide open. The girls grow silent.

“Yea that's right! My sister died while selflessly protecting our dog from being hit by a car. I left cuz I was depressed from life without my sister! She cries hysterically running passed me and the girls towards the fields.

“Are you guys happy now?” Baekhyun asks warningly.

“Is this how you pay respect to the dead? You guys have some nerve to insult someone who isn’t here anymore” Jongdae reprimanded.

The girls looked at us speechless. “I-I” Jisoo stutter until I interrupt.

“Don't you dare cross any of us again. We don't want to ever see you” I spat as I start to walk towards where Dasom ran but Sungyeol pulls me back.

“I think she should be alone for a bit, Myungsoo.”

“But I need to see if she's okay”

“She will be. I know she will. She just needs to calm down for a bit that's all.”

I look towards where Dasom ran off and agree with Sungyeol before walking towards class with the rest of the guys after glaring at the girls.

----------------------------------

Dasom ran far from everyone else.

Her eyes blurred by her tears which were running down her cheeks uncontrollably. She didn’t know where she was going until she realizes she had gone to the school fields, more specifically the soccer fields where she stopped and fell on her knees.

“Why did I think coming back was a good idea?!”

“I never belonged and I never will!” as she buries her face into her hands.

---------------------------------------------

Dongjun and Hyunsik come out with the rest of their team out from of the locker rooms after the morning soccer meeting. Everyone else was talking animatedly but Hyunsik stayed quiet remembering his small conversation with Coach Shin.

“Hyunsik, you've been doing a great job helping the rest of your teammates”

“Thanks Coach. That's my job as team captain and we are a team”

“But I want you to stop” Hyunsik”s smile turned into a frown confused.

“Wait, Why?”

“You've always been our best player but since you started helping the others and showing them your tricks, more have been able to improve”

“Isn't that a good thing Coach? You have more valuable players on your team”

“Not if I want just you to shine as the one MVP”

“Why would you want that?”

“Isn't it your dream to be able to surpass your teammates and join the professionals? I see great potential in you”

Hyunsik looked at him weirdly. “No, I play to keep myself busy. School comes first. I never aspired to be a professional soccer player, Coach”

“What? That's a shame Hyunsik. There's already been talks of schools scouting you.”

“Well I guess I'll keep helping my teammates so that they can choose from one of them Coach. Plus there's no I in team” he says as he walks away baffled.

He goes to his teammates who are crazy happy.

“What did Coach talk to you about?” Dongjun asked.

“Nothing much, just congratulating me for helping you guys” he shrugs.

“Yea you're the best captain for our team!” Minhyuk says as he pats Hyunsik on the shoulder.

“Thanks.” Hyunsik smiled bitterly.

They were heading towards the school buildings when Hyunsik notices someone on the soccer fields.

“Hey Dongjun isn't that a girl?”

Dongjun faces the fields. “Oh yeah”

“Wait hey isn't that Myungsoo’s friend??”

“Is it really?” Hyunsik glances and starts walking towards her.

“Hey where are you going? We need to go to class!”

“She needs to go to class too”

“But she's not our friend.”

“Yea but she's Myungsoo's friend. Plus you're usually friendly to everyone, why not now?”

“She was mean to Jongdae.”

“They were kids, Dongjun. She probably didn't know what they were doing” Hyunsik says as he rolls his eyes.

“Fine. I'll be heading to class first since I overslept last time.”

“Don't be late or you'll get detention after school and miss practice. And you know Coach hates that.”

“Yea, yea got it” Hyunsik waved him off and rolled his eyes at the mention of Coach Shin.

Hyunsik walks towards Dasom as she continues to cry not knowing her crush was coming towards her.

He crouches down to her level and stare at her for awhile. He notices her button sized nose was red, her brown eyes were red from the constant crying, her long dark eyelashes glisten from the wetness. He smiled realizing she looked kind of cute. Those dark brown eyes then turn to him and he smiled slightly. Dasom was too sad and tired to react shyly from Hyunsik’s attention towards her but she was curious as to why he was there.

“What are you doing here?” She asks softly.

“I'm wondering the same thing about you, Dasom.” He says.

She widens her eyes in surprise. “You know my name?”

“Yea, you're friends with Myungsoo” he then sits on the grass crisscrossed.

“Plus you indirectly introduced yourself that day we saw each other in the library with Myungsoo, remember?” He smiled at her.

She blushes in embarrassment remembering. “Oh yeah, it was the day I wanted to be friends with Myungsoo.”

“Yes so did I, again” he chuckled.

She smiled for a bit and let it fall to a frown. Hyunsik looked at her curiously.

“What's wrong?” He asked.

“Nothing.” She shook her head.

“Nothing? You've obviously been crying. It can't be about nothing.”

“I-I just...maybe I don't belong here.” She whispers to herself, her eyes getting wet again.

He looked at her worriedly. “Hey I don't think Myungsoo would like to hear that”

She chuckled. “Yea I don't think he would. Especially since I'm suppose to make him happy as his best friend.”  

“Oh really?”

“Yes, but all I've done is make him worried. All I've done was cry since we've become friends.” She cries again.

“I promised him I would stop because Jieun would want me to be happy”

“You should, for Jieun and Myungsoo’s sake”

“I don't know if I can…” She whispers with her head on her knees.

“Why not? All you have to do is smile and be happy.”

“Yes, but bullies don't allow you to be happy sometimes. They remind you of the past and how useless you could be.”

Hyunsik widened his eyes in surprise at her confession. She was bullied. But why?

“Why--” he started.

“Do you think I'm annoying? She asked.

“Annoying? I'm not sure…” He started confused at her change of topic. She looks down on her knees mumbling to herself “I knew it.”

“We would have to hang out to test it. But honestly how could a beautiful smiling girl like you ever be annoying” he turned to her.

She looks up at him surprised with a hint of blush on her cheeks due to the unexpected compliment.

She pouts. “You don't have to lie to make me feel better.”

Dasom crossez her arms in front of her chest “I do enough by myself.”

“Hey I'm not lying” he looked slightly offended before smiling at her.

“But it’s your choice if you want to believe me” he shrugs as he gets up and holds out his hand.

Dasom looks at him weirdly. “What are you doing?”

“The bell rang 20 minutes ago. We’re late to class”

Dasom widens her eyes and gets up quickly. Hyunsik grabs her arms and turns her towards him. She stops, confused but then he pulls down his sleeve and wipes her tears from her face.

“Remember to smile okay? If you need help you can always come to me” Hyunsik says as he waits for her to walk towards school.

Dasom blushes and follows suit. Finally realizing she has been with her crush this whole time, she internally squeals.

-----------------------------

Class started 30 minutes ago. I kept looking at the empty desk and the classroom door constantly waiting for Dasom, but she wasn't coming. I concluded that I wouldn't listen to Sungyeol anymore, obviously he is wrong and Dasom probably needed me at the moment.

As I screech my chair back to get up, the door opens. My teacher stops talking and looks at the person entering the room and follow their movements to their desk.

“Cho Dasom, detention after school” the teacher says before resuming with the lecture.

I look at her and realize she had been crying but then she slightly smiled and she was blushing.

I took out a paper and wrote something to pass it on to her.

“You weirdo why are you smiling creepily?” Are you okay?”

She responds in her signature orange pen.

“I’m fine, thanks. Sorry for worrying you”

“Of course I’m your best friend, remember?” Anyways that smile?”

“Ahh something happened after I ran off”

“Yea obviously, that’s why I’m asking”

She looks at me and rolls her eyes and hands me her answer.

“Let’s just say Lim Hyunsik happened” I read as I facepalm myself. Of course.

----------------------------------

“Lim Hyunsik, detention after school” The teacher says as he heads towards his chair.

Dongjun looks at him incredulously and whispers to his seatmate.

“I thought I told you not to be late.”

“Yea, well I obviously got caught up with something.”

Dongjun snorted, “You mean someone. How am I supposed to explain to coach that the captain has detention.”

Hyunsik could only smile.

 

 

A/N: Hello! I know it's been a very long time but so much was happening since my last update. Let's just say I was overly stressed out and obviously writing wasn't one of my top priorities. I'm sure you noticed that this is mainly Dasom focused but don't you worry next chapter should be all about Myungsoo and maybe some YeolJoo as someone so kindly named this adorable couple. Anyways thank you all for reading and see you next time!