Chapter One

Take Me To Your Leader

Jackson rose from his bed and squinted through the darkness across the room at the digital rooster clock sitting on the table. It blared six-fifteen and he decided to get up before he was late. Usually it wouldn't matter if he got there an hour early or two hours late. But, there was some announcement about a new employee and the boss was bound to be at the firm today doing his monthly rounds. He really didn't want to be filing for unemployment any time soon, so he pulled a pair of rumpled jeans from a pile of clothes on the floor and set out. 

When he arrived at work the chirpy voice of the receptionist rang out and he cringed.

"Good morning." She batted her artificial eyelashes and flashed  a sickeningly sweet grin.

"Yeah...uh-..okay.." He replied, attempting to say something back. But, he eventually gave up because as he walked further contemplating a response she slowly disappeared and it would be no use. He entered his office and switched on the desk lamp to combat the darkness. He sunk into his leather armchair and began typing away.

His office wasn't anything fancy. It was small and cozy, much like a representation of his entire life. He prefered his own company most of the times and rarely opened up to people. It was a miracle that he befriended Jinyoung, or else he'd be lonely and awkward. If it hadn't been for the man's incredible tolerance for Jackson's introverted tendencies and his knack for striking up conversation in the most painfully awkward situations, that probably wouldn't have worked either. Jinyoung introduced him to Jaebum and another bond was formed through their shared interest of online gaming. It took a few weeks for their relationship to advance and another week or so for them to talk comfortably without Jinyoung around. But, it worked out in the end. Now, Jackson had a gaming buddy and another friend. Sweet deal.

A knock came at the door and Jackson called for them to open it. His co-worker popped her head in, "There's a meeting in the longue in ten." Jackson nodded as she closed the door again. He considered waiting nine minutes before he got up to make his way to the conference room. He decided against it because he felt like stopping by the break room to grab some coffee. He wasn't religious about it like some people were. One of them being the floor manager of his department, Mark. He realized this after gathering that the twitch in the man's hands wasn't a nervous tick and indeed a long-term effect of the  flasks of caffeine he guzzles before the day even starts. 

Leaving his office he headed to the break room to start the coffe maker. It gurgled a bit miserably before humming to life and boiling the water. Jackson watched as the water bubbled away and barely registered when someone came up behind him. He managed to hide the shock well and only jumped slightly from surprise when a voice was directed close to his ear.

"You're not usually a coffee person." Mark commeneted as he leaned on the counter and stared up at Jackson, a mug (filled with coffe, no doubt) in one hand and the twitch making the liquid slosh dangerously close to the edge of the rim. Jackson just gave him a half-heared well, I guess before switching off the machine and pouring the water over some coffee mix in a plastic cup. He stirred it with a straw and took a sip of the bitter stuff. He fought the shivers of distaste rushing through him and poured it down the sink. God, that stuff was awful. How did Mark drink it everyday?

Jackson only tried it to keep himself awake. He was normally a hard worker and completed his coding in a timely manner. But, he enjoyed mid-day naps a little too much and with the boss roaming around for the entire day, he couldn't risk it. He set off for the conference room, lending a polite greeting to some of his older co-workers as they passed. When he reached the room the meeting would be held in he took his usual seat at the end and wasted time by counting the marks in the scuffed, wooden table. A minute before the meeting people filed in and filled the seats around him. A few minutes late, the boss huried in. His tie ironed and his suit crisp. A boy ghosted him and sat in the seat that the girl from the receptionist desk normally sat in. Now that he thought about it, she was nowhere in sight.

"I'm sure you're all very busy. So, I'll make this quick." The boss started in his thundering voice, "This is Kunpimook, the new receptionist. Jimin resigned and I hope you all wish her best of luck in her future endeavors."

Jackson suddenly felt bad at not even giving her a proper hello.

But, not that bad.

The workers went out in an ocean just as they had came in and a roar of chatter bid the people still in the conference room goodbye. Jackson just wanted a donut from the box in the center of the table. He reached for it when the boss called his name and he retreated his hand reluctantly. He walked to the other side of the oval table.

"Yes, sir." He bowed.

"I want you to take Kunpimook and show him around. He's in your department and you're both foreign so I thought you could explain things to him on his level." The boss put a hand on the boy's shoulder and guided him forward a bit. Jackson wasn't sure if he should be honored that the boss trusted him to aid a new employee or offended at the greasy way his level rolled off of the man's tongue. He decided to ignore his thoughts and bowed, motioning for Kunpimook to follow.

"Got a nickname?" Jackson asked as he looked back at the new employee. 

"No." He answered. Jackson just nodded and proceeded to show him the rest of their floor and introduced him to some of his co-workers. He was tempted to seek out Mark, but judging by the man's absence from the break room and the main floor he could only conclude that the older was in his office drowning himself in a frappecino. He'd leave him to it. Ever bubbly and loud, Youngjae walked right up to the pair and stuck out his hand. 

"I'm Youngjae, you're the new receptionist, right?"

"I am. Kunpimook Bhuwakul. Nice to meet you." He met Youngjae's hand in a firm shake. Jackson was going to step in to assist the process when Kunpimook offered some facts about his self and Youngjae took the bait. They conversed for a few minutes before a nameless voice called for Youngjae and he excused himself. The tour was over and Jackson directed Kunpimook to his station.

"Well, it's been nice getting acquainted, but we both have work to do so....." He was just going to step into his office when an entire body squeezed past him and he back-stepped in shock, "What are you doing?"

Kunpimook payed no mind to the question and ran his hands over all of Jackson's stuff. Which made the other flame and rush in after him to get him out. Kunpimook almost had his hand on Jackson's most prized Luke Skywalker bobble head when the older smacked it away. In the process, causing Kunpimook to jump back and put a foot through his obi wan kenobe card board cut out. The younger seemed sorry and whipped around to bow in apology when his hip knocked against his deck of Doctor Who playing cards. The case they rested in slipped off of his desk. The semi- glass, semi-plastic case cracked and cards went sliding across the floor.

Jackson glared up at the blushing younger, "I figured out your nickname, BamBam." For the destruction of precious memorabilia and your ability to make a mess in under 30 seconds. The younger obviously couldn't hear the nasty sneer in Jackson's voice and smiled despite the circumstances.

"Bambam, I think it's cute."

Jackson surpressed a scream, "Just get out."


 

I wasn't sure how to end the first chapter. I apologize for making everyone wait so long. I promise the next update will be much sooner. Hope you all like the premise. -Mia ^-^