Chapter 4

The Things That I Hear

Ch 4

The Past-Three Weeks Later

Yoona and Yuri were doing great.

No more fights or arguments.

Just pure love.....and cuddling.

I wished they just did it somewhere else.

I was doing great at the hospital.

My co-workers loved me and the chief loved me too.

But I feel like the chief has been getting too close.

Never mind that.

I met a girl today.

She was a doctor. 

I met her in the break room.

— Three Hours Before —

I was talking to some of my co-workers while I headed to the break room to grab a snack. It was midnight again and I couldn't wait to get myself a cup of coffee to raise my spirits. The hospital was unusually quiet tonight, especially in such a crowded city like Seoul. I didn't think too much of it though.

I reached the break room and turned the knob to let myself in. I saw a girl there struggling to get a snack on the vending machine. The hospital was very rich and advanced but they couldn't fix the vending machines yet. I walked towards the girl and just banged the machine once and the snack popped out. 

The girl seemed so embarrassed that she didn't try that before. I guess she was just very gentle. 

"Thank you" her voice was very powerful compared to her timidness.

"No problem" I waited for her to get out of the way.

"Oh I'm sorry" she stepped out of the way.

I inserted my cash into the machine and banged it when the chips got stuck. I acquired the chips and opened it. 
I moved towards the coffee machine and brewed myself a cup. I did this all without looking at the girl I just met. I'm sure she was a newcomer because she didn't know about the vending machines yet. I guess I'll make friends with her.

"Do you want a cup too?" I offered the timid girl.

"Yes please"

Damn it. I thought she would say no.

We don't have any beans left. I guess I'll just give her mine. 

So much for staying awake.

I handed her the cup of coffee.

"I realized there are no more beans left. You can have mine." 

"No! You can have it." she stretched her arm as to offer me the drink back.

I waved her off.

"Think of it as a welcoming gift." And with that I headed for the door to continued my duties.

—End Flashback—

I checked who she was with my co-workers.

She was the new cardiologist.

Impressive.

I looked at her files carefully, analyzing every detail there was about her. One might say I was curious but I sure am mighty interested in this girl. She fascinated me and I couldn't get her off my mind. Even though I met her in the plainest most cliche way, it doesn't even matter to me anymore as my heart was beating erratically.

I shoved the file back into the drawer as the door opened violently, revealing a disheveled Yoona catching her breath while she tried to speak.

"Y-You...come....downstairs" Yoona said between breaths and before I could question her about what was happening, she ran out as fast as she came in. It was amazing.

Dazed and confused, I ran to the elevator, curious of what was happening that could make even the great Yoona to run. Though the suspense was cut short of the melodious elevator music, it jump started when there were about fifty patients going to ER for treatment. It must've been a big accident.


"Hyoyeon! What's happening!?" I yelled through all the noise that was being created from the patients and the even louder staff. 

"Plane didn't get their landing gear down when they landed. They crashed into the airport and we're the closest hospital to it. The rest are being transferred out. Go get me the defibrillator! Now!" 

I hurried to her side and started up the defibrillator. Handing her the paddles, I quickly set it to 120 joules. She shocked the patient but it didn't do anything. Panicking, I set the joules to 200 without her instruction but she shocked the patient anyway. 

Heartbeat.

I cleared the sweat from my brow before looking at Hyoyeon who was glaring at me. I hid from her stare and tried to busy myself with the other patients. From my peripheral vision, I could see her walking up to me with big strides. 

I gulped as she arrived by my side.

"Don't ever do that without my instruction again. You've only been here for a month and you almost killed a patient." She said to me before tending to the patient on another bed.

I treated patients all through the night, not caring if it was past my shift or not. About an hour later after the surge of patients, the beds in the ER were all occupied. Two hours after, more patients came in causing the staff to work tirelessly and with all the patients coming in, so were the doctors that were being called up to attend the patients.

I was still treating a patient after four hours into the accident before I was told to take a break. I washed my hands and went to the break room to catch a few z's. I was mentally and physically tired of all this work being put on me. I wonder if I could survive this whole ordeal of being a doctor. Not getting enough sleep was enough. But piling everything else on top of it was tiring.

"Go to sleep. I'll take over. You've done enough." My friend, Sunny, held my shoulder as she told me to rest.

I nodded, submitting to my tiredness and left the ER. My eyes were droopy as I tried to make my way to the break room.

My steps were getting drunk as I tried to keep myself upright, but throughout the tiredness and exhaustion that I was feeling, the world out before me.

And I fell to the ground with a thud.

"I hope she's okay.", I heard as I started stirring from my sleep.

I opened my eyes slowly, taking in my surroundings as I tried to battle the grogginess of sleep. I looked around and saw that I was in the VIP room of the hospital.

Why am I in the VIP room? I'm not rich.

The person talking noticed me and quickly went to my side, holding my hand as she looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to talk.

"Yoona.....", I said as I held my hand up and caressed her face with my other hand.

"Unnie...are you okay?" Yoona said as her grip became tighter.

"She's fine." Another voice in the room said as the figure revealed herself.

I looked the mysterious person and I smiled slightly, causing the person to smile too.

"Hi Yuri." I said as I waved to her, weakly, as I tried to battle exhaustion.

I didn't think I would work this hard.

"Hyoyeon wants you to take a break. You've been working too hard she said." Yuri told me as she strolled to the side of my bed.

"But how can I keep the rent?" I questioned.

"I'll take care of it." Yoona answered.

"Why am I in the VIP room?" I asked again, curious of all that was happening.

"You collapsed on hospital territory. They didn't want you to sue them of course. I personally think that was a move but I would've done the same thing." Yuri answered, she was always the blunt one in the relationship.

"I keep on hating this hospital more and more." I said as I laid my head back into the pillow, sleep wanting to take over again.

"Sleep. You need it unnie." Yoona said as she released the grip from my hand.

"Thanks......"

—Two Weeks Later

Looking over at the clock, I smiled as my shift was almost over.

Today was a very special day and I couldn't wait to finish it with a lovely date.

I saw my date walking towards me and I couldn't help but ogle over the woman that was strutting towards me.

The woman reached me and smiled.

"Can't stop looking at me huh?" The woman said as she held my arm.

"Shut up...." I said as I stuck out my tongue at her.

"Finish up soon okay? I want to go now." She said as she released my arm and sat down in the chair next to the entrance.

I hurriedly packed up and took off my coat, revealing a dress underneath. Showering myself with perfume, I looked at the mirror and fixed my hair.

I looked hot!

I went back to my date and saw her being courted by a man and I swear that steam came out of my nose.

I walked over to them and the man noticed me, surprised by the entrance of another woman.

"Do you want to join too?" The man said as held out his hand.

I ignored the man and held out my hand to the woman in front of me. She took my hand and stood up, I wrapped my hand around her waist and I could see the man's eyes bulge out.

I looked back at the man as we exited the hospital and waved goodbye.

"So where do you want to go my dorky kid leader?" 


TBC