Chapter 1

The Things That I Hear

 

The Past

I was sleeping on my bed with some music playing.

But through the serenity of my dimly lit room and the light rain shower outside, I could hear the little bits and pieces of a conversation as I slept.

It was Yoona and Yuri arguing again, the new couple.

I started stirring as they started moving around, taking the argument across the apartment.

It started to get louder and louder until I heard the front door slam.

Finally! Peace at last.

But of course it wouldn't last as Yoona opened the door to my room, crying as she tugged at my bed sheets.

I swatted her hand away from trying to wake me up but that only seemed to make her cry more.

Feeling sympathetic, I told her she could lie down with me.

With our legs entangled and our arms around each other, she started calming down and soon she started to sleep.

I was wide awake at that time.

Yoona and I traded spots.

I needed my sleep, it was my first day at work tomorrow and now I can't even rest anymore.

I slowly got out of the bed and walked to the kitchen.

It wasn't much but Yoona and I could live with it.

I warmed a cup of milk, hoping that it would help me rest better.

I didn't believe in pills.

I downed my cup of warm milk and headed back to my room as I started to feel drowsy.

I slept with Yoona as I heard the sound of Ailee's music soothing my ears.

I woke up alone with the radio turned off and the window slightly opened.

I could smell the morning honey dew and hear the sounds of traffic traveling up and down the freeway nearby.

I rubbed my eyes slowly and yawned.

I saw a post-it note on the desk beside my bed.

'Good luck at work today!-Yoona'

What the heck is she talking about? What work?

It took me a few seconds to realize.

"WORK!?"

I scrambled out of my bed and quickly grabbed my toothbrush, putting toothpaste on it.

I went to the closet to get the most casual thing I could ever wear but still look professional.

I looked at the shower and pondered whether I should shower or not.

"Screw Showering!"

I quickly put on my clothes and grabbed my bag, quickly busting out of my room and looked at the breakfast table filled with toast, bacon, and eggs.

Sorry Yoona but I'm late.

I quickly went to my car and started it up.

I realized my breath smelled bad......

I was still holding my toothbrush!

How did I ever get changed with this in my hand!?

I drove with one hand as I scrubbed my teeth furiously.

•••

I arrived at the workplace.

I was a doctor fresh out of college and I was to be the new doctor.

"Why is this happening to me?" I said as I slammed the door and ran to the lobby.

I was completely out of breath when I talked to the secretary on duty.

She told me I wasn't late.

What?

I looked at the time.

'7:32'

I was two hours early.

Gosh damn it.

Might as well start up already.

The Present

I smiled at the memory but it pained me also causing more tears to come out.

I used to hate rainy days.

Nowadays, I loved it.

It gave me good memories.

I chuckled a little.

Such an oxymoron.

The Past

The chief was surprised at my eagerness but expected it.

Truthfully, he told me that he expected me to be late on my first day.

I thought I was late too.

But I didn't tell him that.

I smiled inwardly as the chief congratulated me on my first day of work.

Everything was going right so far.

TBC