IV

I Choose To Love You

I originally wanted that day to be a day between Woori and me only, but I ended up being glad that Baekhyun came. Everywhere we went, there seemed to be a couple contest. Also, lots of couples were wearing matching sweaters. Yes, I wanted to be that way with Woori. If it had just been the two of us, I might've been crazy enough to make her wear couple clothes with me.  Fortunately, Baekhyun was there and I couldn’t show Woori how crazy I was.  

 

We went to the aquarium, a museum, and eventually a Noraebang. I got a little frustrated at Baekhyun for wowing Woori with his voice, but I sort of knew he shipped Woori and I together so I let it slide. We ate dinner at Dunkin' Donuts, which was actually kind of tasty and it was then that Woori realized Baekhyun and I didn't go to Training. She freaked out. 

 

"Don't worry, they understand. We told them we had to take care of a friend in our own home this weekend and they let us off the hook this time," Baekhyun calmed her. She nodded and tried to get over it. I reached across the table and flicked her forehead to stop her eyebrows from pushing together. 

 

"Get over it," I told her simply. She looked at me for a short while in a daze but she did indeed get over it. When we reached home, she was incredibly tired.

 

Baekhyun and I let her wash up and prepare for bed first. While she was in the bathroom, Baekhyun sat silently on his mattresses. I could tell he was thinking up something evil, but I didn't do anything about it because I knew that, in the end, I would enjoy whatever evil he was planning. 

 

He let me go to the bathroom first, which was a shocker. Usually he raced to the bathroom before I could get there. I took a nice bath and contemplated on what Baekhyun could be planning. I towel dried my hair, brushed my teeth, washed my face and went back out. 

 

"Baekhyun, you dirty dog," I hissed underneath my breath. Woori was fast asleep on my bed. I was positive she had been told by Baekhyun to do so. After looking at his evil facial expression, my thought was confirmed. I walked over to him and crouched beside his mattress. 

"You know, while you're in the bathroom I can steal your mattress," I whispered. 

 

"Under no circumstances am I sleeping with you," Baekhyun retorted. "I guess I'll have to climb in with Woori~"

 

"You wouldn't dare!" I whisper-yelled. Baekhyun smiled triumphantly, got up, and walked away. I got in his bed and pulled his covers up over my shoulders. I couldn't let Baekhyun lead me to my doom. 

 

Baekhyun came out about 20 minutes later and got beside me. We stayed on opposite sides of the bed and fought over the blanket. Eventually, the atmosphere softened. 

 

"Hey, Chanyeol," Baekhyun whispered. 

 

"What?"

 

"You really like Woori, huh?" 

 

"Yes," I answered confidently. "Am I crazy?"

 

"Yeah," he said sarcastically. "But you're not crazy for liking Woori." 

 

I smiled at his answer. 

 

"You've gotta move fast, though," he continued. "Firstly, you have a limited amount of time to make her like you back. Secondly, Kwangmin is potential competition."

 

"I know," I confessed. "I know all of that stuff. But I've never taken it fast. I don't know what to do." 

 

"You've gotta kiss her. Soon."

 

"What?! Shouldn't we date before I-"

 

"Some girls like it that way. If you kiss her before you start dating, and she agrees to go on a date with you after you kiss her, you're in the gold.  It’s like a fairy-tale.  If Woori is like that, and if she's caring enough for you, you two will be in love in no time," he teased. I rolled onto my back and looked at the ceiling. 

 

"What if she doesn't go on a second date without me begging her to?" 

 

"Just keep begging. And when she comes, no skin-ship at all, whatsoever, period. You'll have to wait it out over the course of a few more dates to try again." 

 

I recorded everything that Baekhyun had said into my brain. I didn't have the guts to kiss her early this weekend since she was staying with us, but I planned on doing it as I walked her home on Sunday. 

 

The next day was terribly fantastic. Woori and I were both sick.  It doesn't exactly sound like the greatest thing ever, but it made me realize she put others first even in her times of need. And, it was the first day that she slept in my arms.  

 

As usual, Baekhyun had waked me up for work. I rolled over in pain and held my stomach. It clenched with any movement and I truly felt like I was going to throw up. Hurriedly, I rushed to the bathroom and attempted to hurl up whatever was upsetting my stomach. I failed and trudged back to Baekhyun's mattress. I then realized that Woori seemed ill as well. 

 

"Baekhyun, I can't go in today," I managed to say as I curled up on my left side.  Baekhyun understood and called Kyungsoo, a worker on another shift, to see if we could swap hours for a day. Thankfully, Kyungsoo was awake and agreed to it.  Baekhyun crouched between Woori and me and sighed. 

 

"I'm afraid I won't be able to come home and help you guys today." 

 

I froze. 

 

"What do you mean? We don't have training," I asked unhappily. 

 

"I just promised to help Kyungsoo after work with his singing. He's an SM trainee too, you know. It's his 'down payment' for switching work hours with you. But, in return, he said he'd get me some dancing help from Jongin. So... I won't be home until around 4." 

 

"We understand," Woori whimpered. "Have a good day at work, Baekhyun." 

 

Baekhyun nodded and got up. Soon, he walked out the door and Woori and I were left alone in our pain. She rolled over and looked at me. 

 

"We both got the crème filled chocolate donut last night," she sighed. "I guess they were old, or something." 

 

"Yeah," I mumbled.  A quick, sharp ache struck my stomach again and I hissed in pain. 

 

"Here," she said. She crawled out of her sleeping bag, off of my mattress, and grabbed her suitcase. Then, she pulled out some odd looking stuffed animal. She ped a pocket and pulled out a sack of beads that filled the animal's stomach. Groggily, she walked over to the microwave and heated the sack up for a few minutes. When it was finished, she put the sack back in the animal and crawled over to me.  She removed my hands from my stomach and placed the animal on it. "This should help." 

 

I wrapped my arms around the animal and pulled it tighter to me. Indeed, it felt good. I watched Woori as she got up and got the trash can out of the bathroom and brought it over. 

 

"That's for when one of us has to throw up," she plainly stated and found her way back inside of her sleeping bag.  After a few minutes, guilt started building up inside of me. If she had the same illness that I had, she had to be in just as much pain.  There I was, receiving attention from her but not helping her at all.  I wanted to give the animal to her but she wouldn't let me. Finally, I came up with a plan. It was awkward and embarrassing, but it made sense. 

 

I moved the trash can to the area above the head of my mattress (the one Woori was sleeping on) and managed to pull Baekhyun's mattress all the way to the edge of mine. Finally, I pushed the edges together and slowly climbed beside her. 

 

"Let's share it," I tried to demand. She looked at me in shock for a while. After another pain struck her, she nodded her head in acceptance.  I laid myself down beside her and suppressed a panic attack.  I placed the animal between us and tried to be content, but I felt that it wasn't helping either of us. "We've hugged before." 

 

She nodded. 

 

"This isn't working for either of us since it's not pressed against us well enough."

 

She nodded. 

 

"Is it bad if we just...  If we take our hug and do it lying down?" 

 

She hesitated but finally shook her head. She opened her eyes, put her hands into fists and placed them on my chest. Then, she closed the distance between us and put her head between my chin and chest. 

 

I had to get over the thought of her cuddling with me. It didn't help the situation at all. It was exceedingly hard to do so as I reached my right arm out and put my hand on the small of her back to pull her closer. Once I felt the pressure and warmth of the animal again, reality came back to me and I was able to sleep off the illness a little while longer. 

 

I threw up first, which led to me feeling better first. However, I pretended for a short while to still be in pain so that I could hold Woori. When I stopped fooling around, I went out and bought Woori a caffeinated drink in hopes of getting her throw up out of her system. At first she refused to drink it because she was deathly afraid of throwing up. The day continued, however, and she grew tired of waiting. So, around 1 she drank the soda, cleared her body out, and began feeling much better. 

 

After about half an hour of recovering, Woori asked me if we could go somewhere. 

 

"Where?" I asked. I had just finished cooking some Ramyun for us to eat and placed our bowls out. 

 

"Anywhere is good," she simply responded.  As we ate our Ramyun, I tried thinking of something fun to do that we hadn't done yet. Before I could, she came up with an idea.  "Seoul Plaza ice skate rink." 

 

"What?" I asked in surprise. Actually, that's where I was planning on taking her Sunday night. "You can only go at night.  You don't want to go in the day and miss the pretty lights." 

 

"Then let's go tonight?" She suggested. 

 

"How about tomorrow night?" I replied coolly. She nodded and accepted defeat. 

 

"Where else can we go?" 

 

I shrugged. "I don't know. I think it should be relaxing, though." 

 

"Jimjilbang!" She chirped. I eyed her suspiciously. 

 

"You just want to see me in a bath robe," I teased. She scrunched her face together and shook her head as if she was erasing the thought from her mind. 

 

"Boo, you jerk," she snapped. I laughed and put my chopsticks in my empty bowl. I watched her finish up her food and pondered on what to do to entertain her. She gave me a judging look and frowned. "If you don't want to do anything, I understand. We're both kind of worn out, anyway." 

 

I sighed. I wanted to do something where she would be close to me.  I realized there was nothing in particular that would allow that to happen, so, I resorted to a movie. 

 

"How about we go see 'Wreck It Ralph.'" I truly, honestly, whole-heartedly did not want to see the new 'Twilight' movie. 

 

"That sounds fantastic," she mumbled through her last bite of food. She grabbed our bowls, took them to the sink and washed them.  "Can I pay this time?" She asked cutely. 

 

"No." 

 

"Come on. You're letting me live with you this weekend, you've paid for my lunch and dinner multiple times and for the times we visited the Noraebangs. Please, please, please let me pay." 

 

"But I'm incredibly indebted to you because you saved my life that weekend," I told her. She turned to me and rolled her eyes. 

 

"Maybe I just saved you from a beating. It doesn't matter. You're not indebted to me unless I say so." 

 

"Don't you sound powerful," I mocked.  "May I remind you that I was taking care of you a while ago?" 

 

"We were taking care of each other!" 

 

"Ah, but you were the weakling," I teased.  In response, she crouched down beside me and tried to push me over. I grabbed her wrists and pulled her left to right. She tried escaping, but it was no use. She eventually gave up and let me move her around like a puppet. I dropped her wrists and went to pull out my laptop. "Let's check the show times for 'Wreck It Ralph,' shall we?" 

 

I sat on what was rightfully my bed and she hesitantly came over. 

 

"Don't worry," I hummed. "I don't want to disappoint your grandmother." 

 

"I-I wasn't thinking you would!" She defended herself and quickly jumped by my side.  She stared at the computer screen intensely and I laughed. 

 

"You're weird," I told her. She didn't respond and kept staring at the computer. "Do you think I'm going to-" 

 

"I don't think you're going to do anything," she calmly said. To prove herself, she put her head on my shoulder. "See? Totally confident nothing will happen." 

 

I gulped nervously and cursed myself for starting this conversation. I wanted her to get off of me. The longer she stayed there, the more I would want her to stay there. Thankfully, she soon sat back up and I was able to search the show times in peace. 

 

The movie was playing at 3, which gave us sufficient time to get ready. 

 

Fortunately, Woori enjoyed the movie. When we came back to the apartment, she raved to Baekhyun about how good it was... 

 

And Kyungsoo...

 

And Jongin... 

 

It turned out that Baekhyun had invited the two over for dinner. He texted me if it was alright and I couldn't say no.  They brought home kimbap for all of us to share. It was amusing watching Woori resist stuffing her face with it. 

 

"You like it, huh?" 

 

"It's pretty good," she shyly admitted. I smirked and gave her some of mine since there wasn't any left in the package. 

 

"Whoa, Park Chanyeol giving away his food?" Baekhyun teased. Kyungsoo and Jongin caught on to what Baekhyun was hitting at and began to play along. 

 

"So, Chanyeol," Kyungsoo began, "it's been a while since we've talked. How have you been?" 

 

"Good," I sighed.  I was trying to act cool and pretend that nothing special was happening in my life. 

 

"Just good?" Jongin asked. He poked Kyungsoo with his chopsticks as if activating telepathic powers with him. Kyungsoo nodded and spoke up again. 

 

"Miss Woori, how long have you known Chanyeol?" 

 

"About a month," she answered. 

 

"Has it been a good month?" Jongin asked. She nodded and smiled, then shook her head rapidly from change of thought. Jongin laughed and I clenched my chopsticks nervously. 

 

"Actually, no. Chanyeol takes care of me so much and I owe him big time." 

 

All three of the guys looked at each other like high school girls gossiping. They'd just locked in on their target. 

 

"How does he take care of you?" Kyungsoo pressed. 

 

"He pays for meals, he pays for activities--" 

 

"Oh, just friendly stuff," I interrupted. Woori was so innocent. After I interrupted and gave her a sad glare, she realized to some degree that we were being interrogated. She finally nodded in agreement with me and gave an eye smile to the company. They chuckled contently and Baekhyun clicked his tongue. 

 

"I wish you guys would move on," he said under his breath. Kyungsoo and Jongin looked at Baekhyun then I to make sure the atmosphere wasn't turning into a sour one. To lighten the mood, they began to joke around. 

 

"Haha, hey, Woori, I have a joke for you," Jongin said. She looked up at him and grinned. "What did Will Smith say to the waiter when he was asked what he wanted with his kimchi?" Woori shrugged her shoulders and asked him what.  "Getting chiggae with it," he said in English. Woori was overtaken by a fit of laughter and began crying. Her laughter was so funny that we all began laughing along. 

 

Eventually, Kyungsoo and Jongin left (after a lot of chatting, kaibaibo and watching TV.) We were all tired, so, we resumed our positions from the night before and went to sleep.