II

I Choose To Love You

"Can I know the name of my rescuer?" I questioned. She raised an eyebrow and looked up at me. 

 

"Choi Woori," she announced as she stepped back. She looked around and sighed. "Okay, he's gone. You're saved. You can leave now." 

 

I frowned and put my hands in my pockets. 

 

"What? He'll probably scan this area ten times. Show me some place I can hide," I whined. She began looking around and I saw someone's shadow approaching the glass door outside. Assuming it was the guy chasing me, I pulled Woori back to me and hid my face with hers. She tried pulling away but stopped when she heard the door close and understood. There we stood, looking at each other's faces for what seemed like an eternity. She mostly kept her eyes half shut, but when she opened them they were a nice golden brown color. She had a few eyebrow hairs out of place, but other than that, her face was clean and soft.  The only makeup I saw on her was the slightly heavy eyeliner from earlier and a bit of mascara. She looked up at me with worry and I stopped examining her features and paid attention to her expression. 

 

"Um, excuse me," the drunk sloth muttered. Apparently he had tapped her shoulder. She closed her eyes and sighed before grabbing the back of my head and ing my face on her neck. I tried to look as casual as possible. 

 

"Yes?" She answered as if she was out of breath. Had the moment not been so serious, I would've chuckled. 

 

"Have you seen a guy this tall," he paused for what I assumed to be him using his hands to measure my height "with his hair tied back and a gray sweatshirt on?" 

 

My eyes popped open and stared intensely into Woori's dark hair. My hair was still tied up, and my sweatshirt was indeed gray. Hopefully he was too drunk to notice. She shook her head 

 

"Nope, I haven't, sorry," she falsely apologized. He walked off and she pushed me off of her. I scratched the back of my head and looked around. The atmosphere was incredibly awkward. She cursed under her breath and shot me an evil look. Then, she spoke up. "You might as well have some tea with my grandmother and me." 

 

She her heels and marched to the elevator. I followed behind quietly and stood on the opposite end of the elevator. She made me close my eyes when she pressed the elevator button so I wouldn't know what floor she lived on. It didn't matter since I could just use her apartment number if I was a kidnapper but I didn't remind her of that. I was too thankful to her for saving me. 

 

We walked to room 108 and as she placed her key in the door she turned to me. 

 

"Your name is Chanyeol, right? Park Chanyeol?" 

 

"Yes." 

 

"You're my first friend in Korea. You were the tour guide at Seoul National University today.  I forgot to mention you when I first came home because I hadn't really met you yet. It was when I went out to the Noraebang that I saw you and you decided to join me. You paid my way in so I invited you over for tea.  Sound good?" 

 

"You went to a noraebang all by yourself?" I asked. If I didn't want to flaw her plan I had to know as much as possible. Also, I wanted to know as much as possible. 

 

"I haven't met anyone yet, okay? I've only been here a week. And my grandmother didn't want to come." 

 

"Why is your Korean so good?" 

 

"My mom and dad made me use it around the house. Okay, good?" 

 

"Good," I replied. She slowly turned the key in the door and opened it. I followed her into the living room and she sat me on a pillow by the table in the middle of the room. 

 

"I'll go get my grandmother. Stay here," she ordered. I nodded and looked around the room as she walked away.  There was a small, old television with a VCR player. A cheap DVD player was hooked up to it and rested on the floor beside the wooden block that the TV sat on. One wall had a painting of cherry blossoms, the wall behind me had a window, the wall to my left had pictures of relatives-- Woori included-- and the wall in front of me was the one that had the doorway that only had the typical white wall paint to boast.  

 

Woori's grandmother came through the doorway rather gracefully and sat down in front of me. Woori followed with a tray that had small blue porcelain cups and a stainless steel tea pot sitting on it. She was shaky but managed to place the tray down steadily and came over to sit beside me. 

 

"Hello, ma'am, I'm Park Chanyeol. It's very nice to meet you."I bowed, hoping it was formal enough for her. She smiled and accepted it well.

 

"Hello, Park Chanyeol-ssi.  I'm Lee Yewon. It is also nice to meet you. My Woori tells me that you're a friend of hers." 

 

"Ah, yes ma'am, I-" 

 

"Please, call me grandmother." 

 

"Oh... Yes," I responded, a little shocked. 

 

"Chanyeol was the... Was the..." Woori began. At that moment, I realized she was a terrible liar.  I was amazed that she could pull off the acting job she did in the lobby just before.  

 

"Choi Woori, don't you dare lie to me," Grandmother scolded. Woori shrugged and sighed. 

 

"I met Chanyeol at the convenience store today. He helped me pick out the ppeppero," she confessed. Grandmother didn't seem to mind. 

 

"Do you work there, Chanyeol?" Grandmother asked. 

 

"Yes. I usually work there from 8-12."

 

"Ah, that explains why I never see you there. I usually go during the late afternoon.  Do you ever work then?" 

 

"No, I don't. I usually train from 2-9, but today I was let off early."

 

"They make you train for that job?" Woori asked innocently. I chuckled. 

 

"No, I, erm... I'm training to be a k-pop star," I shyly admitted. Her jaw dropped and she covered her open mouth with her hand. 

 

"That's awesome!" She complimented.  "But... I'm guessing that means that you don't go to university.  Correct?" 

 

"Yeah," I answered. I lowered my head in a bit of shame. But I got over it quickly; being an entertainer was what I really wanted, more than anything else.  

 

"Good luck," Grandmother encouraged. She looked at Woori and frowned. "Child, aren't you going to pour tea?" 

 

Woori quickly grabbed the tea pot and poured our drinks as her grandmother suggested. For the rest of the evening, we chatted. Mostly, we talked about Woori's reason for being in Korea. Basically, her parents let her post pone her college studies so she could come take care of her newly widowed grandmother and be fully immersed in Korean culture for a long period of time. We talked a little about my trainee days and SM entertainment and realized it was getting late. I said goodbye to Grandmother and Woori accompanied me back down to the lobby. Before I walked out, she cleared . 

 

"So, how about lunch with you and your friend tomorrow?" She monotonously asked. I laughed and turned around. 

 

"Baekhyun has plans tomorrow. If you don't mind, you and I could do something together, instead." I watched her think about it and a good idea came to mind. "Hey, meet me at the convenient store at 12:15. Sound good?" She nodded and grinned. I grinned back, waved goodbye and walked out. I lied about Baekhyun being busy. I'd have to find a way to make him understand. When I got home and told him my plans for the next day, he flipped. 

 

"You're doing WHAT?!" Baekhyun screamed. I raised a finger to my lips, reminding him that we had people living above and below us. "How could you?  First, you made her more interested in you than me. Secondly, she wanted me to come, but you chased that want out of her? What kind of friend are you?" Baekhyun sarcastically asked. He wouldn't admit it, but he was happy that I'd scored a sort-of date with Woori. 

 

My time at work passed slowly.  When noon came, Baekhyun sighed and patted me on the shoulder. He then proceeded to slide off his seat and trudge out the door as the Jo twins came to take over. When he was out of the store, Youngmin turned to me. 

 

"What's wrong with Baekhyun hyung?" He asked. 

 

"I scored some time with that girl today," I enthusiastically admitted. 

 

"The one from yesterday?" 

 

"Yep!" I chirped. I grabbed the plastic bag I'd thrown my change of clothes in and scurried to the bathroom. 

 

Collar bone revealing, v-neck, black t-shirt. Check. 

 

Worn out jeans. Check. 

 

I looked in the mirror and messed around with my hair. 

 

"Chanyeol, you look good," I complimented myself. I got my wallet out of my uniform pants and tucked it in my front right jean pocket. I threw my uniform into the bag, ran to the cash register and plopped my bundle behind the twins. 

 

"I'll come back and get it later tonight," I told them. They didn't really care but I felt like it was necessary to say.  I saw Woori approach the door and straightened up. 

 

"Oh, hello Chanyeol!" She happily greeted. She saw the twins and bowed a bit. "Ready?" 

 

"Sure am," I answered. I opened the door for her and gestured for her to turn right. She did and I caught up with her. "First, we're going to have some grilled mackerel. Oh, wait. You like fish, right? I mean, to eat?" She nodded in response. "Okay, good." 

 

We ate lunch and I helped her practice eating with chopsticks. 

 

"I've never, ever been good with chopsticks," she told me through an embarrassed laugh. She managed to eat it all, though, and I clapped in celebration. 

 

"Well done," I congratulated. After we finished, she insisted on paying for us but I didn't let her. "Hey, I've got this."

 

"But I invited you out, I should pay," she argued. 

 

"You rejected Baekhyun and me when we asked you out," I shot back. "I'm paying, and that's that." 

 

She became frustrated and scrunched up her face. It was intended to show me her anger but it failed because the cuteness level made me laugh. 

 

We walked out of the restaurant and she stretched her arms. 

 

"Where to now?" She asked. 

 

"Mmm, something that starts with ." 

 

"... 노래방?! (N...Noraebang?!)" 

 

"Correct!" I shouted unnecessarily. She clapped and jumped in place. She followed me closely as I led her to the nearest Noraebang. I paid our way in and we went to our room. 

 

"Ah, what song?" I asked. 

 

" 사랑하겠어,”she quickly suggested. I scrolled through the menu and selected that song and  decided to sit back and listen to her sing.  She got through the first line and turned to me in disappointment.  "Why aren't you singing?" 

 

"I wanna hear you sing! Aigoo, I have to start the song over for you." 

 

"You have to sing with me!" She demanded. I stood up and grabbed my mic. 

 

"I'll sing the second verse. We sing the chorus together. And the bridge together. Okay?" 

 

She nodded and turned back to the screen. The song began and so did her singing. Her voice was actually pretty good. She kept the tune and didn't strain.  As promised, I sang the chorus with her, the second verse by myself, and the bridge with her. If SM ever wanted me to do a duet with someone, I would've asked to do it with her. 

 

We sang a bunch of other songs and eventually became bored. I walked her around the city for a bit. She really wanted to see Banpo bridge. I told her that I'd take her to see it if I could get out of training early. She gave me her grandmother's home phone number since she did not have a cell phone and I gave her my number to recognize on the Caller ID. I walked her to her apartment building, caught a bus to the SM building, and tried to be perfect. I was let out at 8 and called Woori. I told her I'd be at her complex in 20 minutes and to wear something warm because it was a little chilly. We hung up our phones and I rushed to the bus. It was a little late and I didn't get to Woori's complex until 8:30. She didn't seem to mind and happily greeted me in the lobby. 

 

"Oh, Chanyeol! You don't have a jacket," she pointed out. "I can go see if you can borrow one of my grandfather's--" 

 

"No, that might be hard on your grandmother. I'll be fine. Oh, and you're lucky. They didn't make me dance today, so, I'm not all sweaty."

 

"What'd you do, then?" She asked as we turned the same corner she rescued me at the night before. 

 

"Practiced singing. They had Baekhyun mentor me, which was a little rough. He was jealous that I got to spend the day with you," I admitted. 

 

"Tell him I'm sorry~" she pleaded. I took note of how she didn't want me to tell him to tag along next time. That was a good thing, for me. Unless she didn't want to have a next time. 

 

We had some small talk as we walked to the bridge. She had Ramyun for dinner and scolded me when she discovered I hadn't eaten anything. She bought me some ddeokboki (despite me telling her not to) and made me eat every last bit of it before we went any further. When we reached the bridge, she clung to the railing and looked out as the light show began. 

 

"Waaah so pretty!" She shouted. She got a few weird glances from others around us, but when they saw me judging them they turned away. I got up on the railing and started yelling with her. 

 

"YES IT IS!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs. She looked at me in surprise and took it as a challenge. 

 

"THANK YOU FOR TAKING ME HERE!!!" She screamed. I covered my ears. 

 

"You're welcome," I normally responded, in English. She laughed and stepped off the rail. 

 

"Chanyeol, you're cool. I'm sorry I didn't trust you at first."

 

"Ah, I've gotten over it," I told her as I shook my hand as if I was shooing away the thought.   

 

"And... Are we friends now?" She asked, embarrassed. She looked out at the water and tried to distract herself. I poked her and ducked my head out to her. 

 

"Of course!" I answered happily. She clapped and gave me a hug. It was so warm and I was kind of cold, so, I graciously hugged her back. Some sort of energy built up in me and I picked her up and spun her in a circle. She whined a little and let go of me, but I could tell she was happy that I showed her such friendly affection. 

 

"So... I've seen Banpo bridge, gone to a Noraebang with someone, had some delicious grilled mackerel and met an awesome person all within two weeks of me being here. How fortunate is that?" She asked enthusiastically. 

 

"I mean, you've gotta be pretty lucky to have spent time with me, Park Chanyeol, aka Happy Virus." 

 

"I guess so," she teased. "Ah, but now I'm unlucky. I have to go home because it's getting late." 

 

I frowned but nodded in agreement. I walked her back to her complex, but before I could go she decided to play Twenty Questions with me. 

 

"What's your name?" She asked. 

 

"Park Chanyeol."

 

"Age?" 

 

"21." 

 

She froze for a minute then decided to continue. 

 

"Residence?" 

 

"Han apartments, Seoul." 

 

"Time of awakening?" 

 

"7 AM." 

 

"Night shower or morning shower?" 

 

"What?" 

 

"Just curious," she stated. 

 

"Night." 

 

"Okay, I guess I'm done with you. Go away," she shooed. I turned to leave, laughing. I heard a pitter patter of feet behind me and turned. She side tackled me and gave me a hug. "Bye, Chanyeol. Get home safely. Sleep well. I'll talk to you later!" 

 

"Bye, Woori," I chuckled and peeled her off of me. After I left, I had a sort of skip in my step the entire way home.