1

Second Star to the Right

     

"'Wendy', Peter continued in a voice that no woman has ever yet been able to resist,
'Wendy', one girl is more use than twenty boys" - Peter Pan, J.M Barrie

 

A loud crash startles you awake. Having fallen asleep with the bedside light on, it's not hard to spot the source of the noise: a boy crouched over by your bookcase, surrounded by the books that he must have knocked off. Hitting his head on the way down, if the way he was rubbing at his firey orange hair was any indication. Your heart is in your throat as you try to quietly get out of bed while he's distracted and grab your cellphone so you can call the police. How do you get out of here without drawing his attention? What do you even do in this situation? Obviously growing up you're warned to lock your doors for safety but what do you actually do if there's a burglar in your home? Hopefully just a burglar, what if he's a murderer? You carefully lift the covers and swing your legs down, careful to make no noise. It doesn't seem to matter though, he jumps to his feet the second yours touch the floor. There goes any chance of running or hiding.
“Hello” he greets you cheerfully, as if he weren't breaking into your house in the middle of the night to rob you blind or possibly, murder you for kicks. “My name is Woobin.” He pauses, presumably to let you introduce yourself but when it's clear you have no intention of obliging, he continues. “And you're ~~~. I've seen you in here a few times.” He smiles, unaware that you're panicking.

“You look upset. Are you alright?” He approaches, a concerned look on his face. You shrink back as he reaches out to you. He stops, hand hanging in the air not far from your head. You feel guilty for half a second at the hurt that appears on his face before mentally smacking yourself. Why on earth would you feel sorry?
“You don't need to be scared. I'm not going to hurt you.”

“Of course I'm scared! I don't know you! What are you doing in my house?”

“I'm Woobin, I just told you that. And I'm here because I followed my shadow.”
“You...followed your shadow”. Now you know he's a nutcase.

“Yes. The naughty thing escaped but I found it. I've been tracking it the past few nights. It seems to like it here, it keeps coming back. I almost caught it when those darn books attacked me out of nowhere. Now I've lost it again.” He pouted. He looked younger when he pouted, more innocent. Almost sweet. You took the chance to really take the boy in, he looked about your age --give or take a few years, he had bright orange hair and pretty green eyes, though neither looked natural. A little child-like and he smiles often, at least that's the impression you're getting, a little dimple peeking through whenever something amuses him. He might even be cute, if he wasn't a crazy criminal.

It was then that motion in your peripherals caught your attention. You stiffened, worried that this “Woobin” had a partner but when you turned your head slightly, trying to sneak a better look, it wasn't a person that you spotted. There was a blob of darkness –a shadow– slowly creeping along the wall. You looked for whoever was casting it but there was no one but you and Woobin in the room and neither of you were moving. It was insane and physically impossible but maybe this was the shadow Woobin was saying had escaped him? 

“Um. Woobin?” You started hesitantly. He looked at you expectantly, but you couldn't manage to tell him about the shadow. Not because you felt crazy, well not just because it was crazy but because the shadow had also stopped and turned it's head towards you when you'd started to speak, it too was waiting for what you were going to say. Luckily, you didn't have to finish, Woobin seemed to have followed the path of your eyes to the shadow and not a second later was pouncing at it, catching it by the ankle with a loud victory cry. 
Catching it. Catching a shadow.
You rubbed at your eyes. No, that's really what you're seeing.

The shadow was struggling in his hands, still trying to escape him but Woobin wasn't having any of it. He was however, trying to stick the shadow's foot to his own...with spit? That's just silly. Shadows aren't like stamps, one can't simply and stick.
Did you really just think that? This whole situation is silly. How does a shadow become unattached from the person from whom it is being cast, to need to be reattached?

Nonetheless, you knew Woobin's attempts wouldn't work. For some reason, some little voice in the back of your mind was saying to sew it. Everything else about this night was crazy... Couldn't hurt to try?

“Woobin, let me try something. Wait there.” You ran off quickly to grab a needle and some thread, rushing back and gracefully seating yourself next to the boy.

Hesitantly, you reached toward the shadow, still not believing it could be grasped, despite the firm grip Woobin had been maintaining. Contrary to all logic, your fingers found purchase. The texture of a shadow was not at all what you would have imagined a shadow to feel like, had someone asked you to imagine such a thing but even now, with one pinched between your thumb and forefinger, the feel of a shadow was not something you could describe in any words you knew. There was no feel like it that you had ever felt to which it could be compared. Snapping out of your wonder, you found Woobin's eyes, admiring you admiring the shadow. His green eyes sparkled and his lips were unashamedly turned up in a smile. Definitely cute. You looked down at your needle quickly. There was absolutely no way you were going to blush because of this boy.

Threading the needle as an excuse to not meet the boy's gaze, you explained to him your plan, warning him that it was a silly guess, it might not even work. You only allowed your eyes to flit to his briefly as you cautioned that it may hurt a little. Warning given, you poked the needle through the shadow. You barely paused to acknowledge your surprise before carrying on with your work.

Woobin hadn't made a sound the whole time you were sewing but you'd seen from under your lashes --been watching-- how his smile had tightened as you had sewed; it must have hurt. The fact that his smile had never fully dropped though, had impressed you. Not that you would ever admit to that. Just like you would never to the way your heart may have skipped a beat when he'd hopped and danced around the room in joy at the success of your plan, dragging his shadow along with him, smiling as bright as anything.
“Come back here, you goof! I haven't tied the thread yet, it's going to come undone. ...impatient little child.” You fought off a fond smile and tied the thread into a knot, hoping that would be enough to keep the shadow from escaping again, frowning as the tug caused Woobin's smile to falter again.

“You poor thing. You were so brave through that. It must have hurt. Shall I give you a kiss to make it all better?” You'd meant it to be playful and cute but unexpectedly Woobin hadn't played along. Instead he looked at you in confusion.

“Give me a kiss? What's a kiss?”

“Oh. You are joking, right? You have to know what a kiss is.” This was a teenage boy. A good looking – you admit that with so much reluctance– boy, there was no way he didn't know what a kiss was.

“I'll know after you give me one.” His lips pulled into a pout and his eyes seemed to reflect only embarrassed innocence. Maybe he wasn't joking.

Embarrassed yourself, you grabbed your thimble, placing it in his open hand. “Uh. There.”

“This is a ..kiss?” He looks between you and the thimble sitting in the middle of his palm.

“Yeah?”

“Hm. Now it's my turn. I should give you something in return for this... kiss.” He looks up into your eyes, mischief tugging at his lips. “Though I'm not sure how this kiss can be used to help pain. You'll have to teach me that later.”

Do not blush, do not blush, do not blush, you chanted in your head.
“I don't have anything like this to give you but I hope you'll like my gift anyway. Close your eyes”
You looked at him suspiciously.
“Come on. Close them.”

You closed your eyes, nervously waiting, hands open for his return gift.
“For your help and for your sweetness and for your.. kiss...”
You could sense him moving about in front of you.
“...I want to give you...”
It seemed like he was just in front of you, why would he need to be so close? Just put the darn thing in my hands already.
“...a thimble.”

Your eyes shot open as he breathed those final words across your lips, his ghosting across yours in a sweet kiss. He pulled back, his eyes searching yours for reaction. Whatever he saw in your eyes was enough for his lips to return to yours with more confidence and a lot less innocence.

When he finally pulled back and you had a chance to catch your breath and let the fog cleared from your brain, you realized you'd been tricked.

“You cheeky little...! You knew what a kiss was!”

He smirked, obviously pleased with himself. “Of course I know what a kiss is. You just looked like you'd be so fun to tease and I was right! Even more fun to tease than I thought...” He dragged his thumb across his lower lip, causing you to blush furiously.

“Horrible boy.” You pouted. Not really all that angry.

“You loved it. Maybe almost as much as I did. Don't pout like that or I'll want to do it again too badly.” He leaned towards you and pecked your lips sweetly.

 

[AN: I don't even know what I'm doing..
There will be more chapters but this is it for Woobinnie. Each member is going to have a chance to play your Peter.]