Chapter 2

False Perfection
Kyungsoo drummed his fingers silently on his book, his other hand propping up his head. He huffed, cheeks puffing out adorably. His sixteenth birthday was this coming week and he still didn't know where he planned to go. He knew that if given the choice, his parents would choose what every parent would choose - for their kid to stay in the faction that they were born into.
 
Out of the corner of his eye, Kyungsoo saw the door to his bedroom swing open silently. His sister slipped in before shutting the door with a muted thud. Making her way to the bed beside his desk, she ran her hands down the fabric of her dress, smoothing it against her body before sitting down.
 
"Kyunggie, it's almost time. What are you thinking?" she asked in a hushed tone, as if their parents would barge in randomly.
 
"I'm not sure yet. I might stay here," he whispered.
 
Min Jung glanced at the sensible blue bedspread pensively. "I'm scared."
 
"I guess Dauntless isn't a good fit for you then," he joked, trying to lighten the mood.
 
She smiled faintly, letting out a light chuckle.
 
"I guess you're right."
 
Reaching for the glass of water perched on his desk, she took a sip before replacing it and getting up, bending her head down to kiss her younger-by-seven-minutes brother on the crown of his head before leaving as quietly as she'd entered.
 
[2] Lack of knowledge inevitably leads to lack of understanding.
 
"Are you ready?" asked Min Jung as they walked hand in hand into the Hub, their fellow faction members filing in with them.
 
"I'm as ready as I'll ever be," Kyungsoo answered truthfully.
 
I don't think I'll ever be ready, thought Kyungsoo.
 
"Everyone, please be seated so that we can get the ceremony started!" boomed an unseen voice.
 
Everyone still left standing, idling around, quickly found their seats and settle down, anxious for the participants to make their choices known. Excitement hung in the air, mingling with a healthy dose of uncertainty and a hint of fear.
 
Kyungsoo settled into his seat, sitting comfortably as he waited for the main event. He vaguely registered the commanding voice from earlier, reading the manifestos from each faction. As time passed on, Kyungsoo nibbled his bottom lip, eyes unseeing as he focused at the speaker, consumed by his worries.
 
The restlessness of the kids was nearly palpable as the speaker began talking about how important choosing the correct faction was. It seemed like everyone knew what they were going to do and what the right path for them was. Was everyone just born with the intuition as to which faction was correct for them if their birth one wasn't it?
 
"Zhang Yixing."
 
Finally, it was starting. Kyungsoo squeezed his hands together as he watched the first initiate walk up to the metal bowls. He received the knife graciously and didn't hesitate before pulling the glinting knife quickly over his finger and allowing a few drops of his crimson blood to drip into the bowl of earth. Amity.
 
He returned to the area designated to Amity with a smile on his dimpled face, and sat back down, awaiting the rest of the ceremony.
 
Before he knew it, the names were whizzing by and teen after teen went up, choosing their factions. Sooner than he thought possible, half the alphabet was over and done with, and he wasn't any closer to determining his faction than he was a year ago.
 
His eyes darted around, scanning the faces of the soon-to-be initiates, but what he was looking for, he didn't know. Something to let him know that it was okay not to know, that he wasn't alone in his conflict. He looked to his sister, and she glanced over, squeezing his hand reassuringly, offering a smile. Kyungsoo forced a smile, feeling his lips curve, but he knew that it didn't reach his eyes.
 
It was time.
 
"Do Min Jung."
 
His sister gave his hand one last squeeze before gracefully gliding up to the bowls and running the blade of the knife across the soft pad of her index finger. The blood bubbled up and she turned her palm over, holding it steadily over the bowl of water. As the liquid dripped down, it disturbed the calm waters, already tinted with the blood of numerous others before her. The water rippled out to the edge of the bowl as she returned to her seat beside Kyungsoo. Reaching for his hand once more, she held it as they waited for Kyungsoo's name to be called.
 
"Do Kyungsoo."
 
Kyungsoo swallowed, willing his stomach to stop hurting. He quickly pulled the mask over his feelings, covering them up skillfully, and made his way up to the platform on forcibly steadied legs. The man handed him the knife, and he received it, holding out his palm and seeing the spot of his sister's dried blood. Quickly, he made a shallow cut and put down the knife, squeezing his eyes shut. Kyungsoo out his hand and overturned his palm, allowing the blood to drip like so many before him.
 
A gasp ran through the Erudite faction, the loudest of which came from his parents who rarely uttered more than a controlled murmur.
 
The lit coals sizzled, sealing his future, voicing what he couldn't.
 
________
 
It's been over a month since I last updated this story. OTL It's been a busy time, and only yesterday was I finished with all my exams and projects. This coming week is really busy as well, but for different reasons. I'm having my class trips, graduation practices, and graduation in the coming week, not to mention volunteer hours. So I'm really sorry that this chapter was short. I think that I could've done better with expanding it, but I'm exhausted and felt that this was the best place to end it. I promise that future updates will come in a more timely fashion. ^^
 
Why does it seem like all I write is Kaisoo? ...All I seem to read nowadays is Kaisoo and Baekyeol with a side of Hunhan. No complaints though~
 
Ah, if you have time, would you care to check out another story of mine?       Just One Glance