Can We?

It's Gotta Be You

Song Inspiration

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiho looked up at the building. He winced as he could hear the music from inside. The people that were heading inside seemed to be excited about going in and enjoying themselves.

Jiho sighed as he stuffed his hands into his jean pockets. He felt the phone in his pocket and he pulled it out and looked at it.

Although he had tried to control himself, he had failed. Last night, he had gone through the phone for any evidence that this woman was a stalker or something even worse. Yet, he didn’t think he would find almost nothing. What he found were only three phone numbers and a few photos of the same three. All in all, he could tell that she was someone who was lonely.

“Yah, we better hurry. She is going to start any minute now.”

Jiho turned his head slightly to look at a group of guys.

“I wish I could ask her out. She is seriously hot” one of the guys said.

He watched the guys walk by before he looked down at the phone to check the time. He saw that he was right on time and so he put the phone back in his pocket and made his way inside the club. Once inside, he wondered how he would ever be able to spot Chaerin in the crowd of people. He found his way to the bar and sat on a stool. He noticed that everyone was directing their attention towards the stage.

“What will it be?” the bartender asked.

Jiho turned his attention to the bar.

“Just a beer” he replied as he pointed to a certain beer bottle.

He could hear the people starting to chat excitedly. He could see someone making their way towards the stage and the people began to cheer.

“Someone good?” he asked the bartender.

The man smirked.

“You’re new?” he asked.

Jiho nodded.

“She’s the best” the bartender replied as he handed Jiho his beer.

The lights suddenly flashed and the crowd cheered loudly as the music changed. His sensitive ears picked up on the tempo of the music and he almost smiled. The music was very good and he could tell it was complex.

He liked it.

As he drank his beer, he nodded along to the beat and with his eyes closed so that he could take in the music.

Just as he was about to analyze the beat, the song quickly changed and he smiled as he heard his favorite song being remixed.

The crowd cheered once again and they began to chant.

He looked at the bartender and saw him smiling proudly at the stage. Finally, the curiosity got the better of him and Jiho turned and looked at the stage.

To say that he was surprised was an understatement.

The lights flashed and he could see Chaerin smiling as she looked out into the crowd. She put on her head phones and quickly switched to another track.

Jiho watched the woman with curious eyes. He would have never guessed that she was a DJ…and a good DJ at that. He turned to face the bartender, who was already looking at him.

“She’s good right?” he asked.

Jiho only gave a slight nod.

He didn’t know how long he continued to sit there and listen to the music that Chaerin created but he knew that it was all over way too soon. He watched as she pulled off her head phones and another person took over. She walked into the crowd and cheerfully greeted some people who were waiting for her.

He didn’t understand. If she was so popular, why was she so alone?

Jiho watched as Chaerin excused herself from the group of people, only to make her way over to him. She smiled at him as she took in the sight of him. When she was finally only a few inches from him, she spoke.

“You came after all” she voiced.

Jiho nodded.

“I need my phone back, after all” he replied.

She laughed and moved to sit next to him.

“Sorry about that” she said.

Jiho shrugged it off.

“I just wondered how you pulled it off.”

Chaerin turned to the bartender and Jiho watched as the man handed Chaerin a phone.

“Last night, when I tugged on your arm, I quickly switched our phones while your attention was on your friends” she explained.

She looked at his phone.

“Why?” Jiho asked.

Chaerin sighed.

“I wanted to see you again” she confessed with a smile.

Jiho pulled out her phone and held it out to her.

“You could have just asked for my number” he mumbled.

“What?” she asked, leaning in a bit to hear him better.

Jiho didn’t repeat himself. Instead he placed her phone in her hand and held out his own hand. Chaerin looked at his hand and he saw something change within her stare. She looked back at him and smiled as she placed his phone in his hand.

“I hope that you don’t mind that I already put my number in your phone” she said.

He should have guessed.

“Can I call you?” she asked.

Jiho didn’t know what to say exactly. She was interesting, to that he would gladly admit. However, other than her interesting qualities, he wasn’t sure what she wanted from him.

He didn’t answer her. Instead he took another drink of his beer and prepared himself. He looked at her from the corner of his eye.

“What is it that you want?” he asked.

He saw her smile falter a bit.

“You” she replied.

The bartender smirked as he wiped the counter. Jiho almost rolled his eyes.

“Why?” he asked, still not looking directly at her.

“Because you’re different from anyone I have met before.”

She shifted in her seat to get closer to him.

“Do you like me?” she asked.

He finally turned his head to look at her.

“No” he replied.

Chaerin laughed as she leaned away from him.

“That’s okay” she replied with a shrug.

She clasped her hands together and looked at them.

“You’ll grow to like me” she voiced.

Jiho scoffed a bit.

“You’re so confident” he replied.

Chaerin nodded immediately.

“Well, I guess I have to be” she said.

She placed her hand on his.

“Let’s go somewhere”

Jiho tried to move his hand but Chaerin held it tighter.

“About last night…we don’t have to sleep together if you don’t want to. We can just go on a date or something, as long as we are together.”

Jiho snatched his hand away so fast that it startled Chaerin. He pulled out some money and slammed it on the bar counter before he stood up and walked away.

He heard her call out to him but he pushed past the crowds of people. Once he was outside, he pulled out his cigarettes and lit one.

“Jiho.”

He took in a deep breath but didn’t turn around to face her. He closed his eyes as he puffed out smoke. When he opened his eyes, he was shocked to see her face in front of him. She wiped her eyes.

“Yah, why would you just stand there and let the smoke hit you?” he asked.

This woman was really beyond anything he could ever imagine.

“It’s fine” she said with a small smile.

She looked at the box in his hand.

“Can I have one?” she asked.

Despite all reason, he nodded and held the box out to her. He watched how delicately pulled out a cigarette. He began to dig in his pocket for his lighter but he froze when he felt her place her hands on his shoulders. He looked down and found her pushing herself up against him and touching the tip of her cigarette to his. She waited a few seconds before she pulled away and puffed out some smoke.

She smiled when she noticed that he was staring.

“What?” she asked innocently.

Jiho was starting to get annoyed.

“Why are you doing this?” he asked.

Chaerin smiled once more.

“I told you already” she stated.

Jiho scoffed as he rolled his eyes.

“You can’t honestly tell me that you like me. You don’t even know anything about me. We just met last night and we only talked for less than 10 minutes” he explained.

Chaerin finally frowned.

“But I do like you. I knew that I liked you instantly. You’re different…you were nice to me” she said.

Jiho frowned as well.

“I was nice to you because you were in trouble. It wasn’t an invitation for you to throw yourself all over me.”

“Don’t you like me? Aren’t you attracted to me?” she asked, slightly insulted.

“That has nothing to do with it, Chaerin!”

It was the first time he had said her name but the way he said it didn’t make Chaerin feel good. She dropped her cigarette and grabbed his arm. She didn’t look at him as she spoke.

“Just give me a chance. I know that you’ll end up lik-”

She gasped as he suddenly pushed her into the wall of the building. Their bodies were pressed against each other. She looked up at his face and her heart leaped as she saw his eyes flash with anger.

“Is that what you just want? To waste time with me until I become attached to you? Then what, Chaerin? What will you do if I hang on to you?”

She lifted her hands to tug at the sleeves of his shirt.

“I would stay with you, of course” she replied.

Jiho almost laughed in her face but instead, he pushed away from her.

“There is no way I could ever get through with you” he mumbled.

He fixed his clothes.

“You’re truly an odd person” he said.

He moved to walk away but Chaerin quickly caught his hand in hers.

“Please wait” she pleaded.

Once again, he stared down at her.

“Look. I’m sure you’re a good person or whatever. I will only say this once.”

He paused too fully face her with a determined look.

“I’m not interested in you like that. I don’t want to sleep with you or be a couple with you. Even if you persist, I won’t change my mind. Do you undertand?”

He expected her to frown and throw a tantrum or to try and convince him to give her a chance but she did nothing except look at him.

She let go of his hand and he almost protested. He didn’t want to cause her to be sad. He just wanted her to fully understand him.

Chaerin took in a deep breath before she brought a hand up to her face. Jiho watched as she brushed back some of her hair. When she finally looked at him, she looked determined.

“I understand…but I have a question.”

Jiho thought about whether or not he should let her ask him anything. But he nodded anyway. It was the least he could do after being so harsh with her.

“What?” he asked.

Chaerin bit on her bottom lip for a second.

“Can I still see you?” she asked.

She saw the look that came across his face and she immediately put her hands up defensively.

“I mean…as a friend” she quickly elaborated.

She put her hands down as she watched his expression.

“Can we at least be friends?” she asked sincerely.

Jiho should have refused right away but he never was that type of person. He always accepted any offers of friendship because people always seemed to gravitate to him for some reason.

Could he really be friends with Chaerin?

He dropped his cigarette and put it out with the sole of his shoe. He raised his hand with a small sigh. Chaerin looked at his hand before she glanced at him.

“We can try” was all he said.

Chaerin instantly smiled as she took his hand, although she only held it tight instead of shaking it. Jiho cleared his throat and she laughed as she let go of him.

“Can you walk me home?” she suddenly asked.

Jiho raised an eyebrow.

“Just walking, right?” he asked.

Chaerin laughed.

“If that’s all you will offer, then I guess I have no choice” she said.

Jiho nodded and Chaerin excused herself to go back inside the club to grab her things. Jiho sighed as he leaned back against a wall and looked around. It was then that he noticed that across the street, within the small park, was the tree he had seen in countless pictures in Chaerin’s phone. He frowned slightly. There was nothing special about that tree at all.

“Okay.”

Jiho turned his attention to Chaerin as she slung her bag over her shoulder and started walking down the sidewalk. It was then that Jiho noticed her outfit. He felt his face get hot. Was she not aware that her outfit was unbelievably short and tight?

He followed her without another word but he hurried his steps in order to walk next to her and not behind her.

She talked most of the way and Jiho could honestly say that he didn’t listen to her at all. She talked too fast and too much but no matter how many words she said, he could hear the true meaning behind them. It had been a while since she had opened up to someone and so she was taking full advantage of the fact that she finally found someone to talk to.

“Here it is” she said as she stopped walking.

He almost walked past her.

He looked up at the building. It was plain and even though it was late at night, there were still many lights on in the building.

“Go inside” he said as he stuffed his hands into his pockets.

Chaerin smiled.

“Will you call me?” she asked as she readjusted her bag on her shoulder.

They both knew that her number was in his phone from the message she had sent last night.

“I don’t go out much” he replied.

She shrugged.

“Invite me over to your place then” she suggested.

Jiho almost blushed as he saw the look in her eyes. As she saw his expression, she burst out in laughter.

“Yah…we’re supposed to be friends now. Don’t think such dirty thoughts” she accused.

“D-dirty? Me?!” he asked.

“Anyway, if you don’t call me, I will call you.”

She stepped forward and planted a small kiss on his cheek. He froze at the sudden act but Chaerin pulled away as if nothing happened.

“Go home safely” she advised before she waved goodbye and made her way into her building.

Jiho sighed as he began to walk away.

What had he done? Was he really going to be able to handle this woman who seemed to be even more stubborn than he was?

However…

He stopped walking and glanced up at the building that Chaerin had gone into.

“How lonely are you that you want to keep me by your side?” he asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I went into a bit more with Chaerin’s character. Although she is stubborn and straight forward, she does have a soft side and a vulnerable side. As the story progresses I will show different sides of Jiho and Chaerin so please look forward to it. Although they decided to be friends, I think we know that Chaerin isn’t going to give up so easily!

Also, thanks to everyone who has commented and subscribed! I will update soon!!