Part One - 01

He Who Watches

Goryeo Dynasty 1217: 

Myungsoo glared at the non-existent enemy of his. Practice, his mind shouted. Pulling his sword, slashing the air, attacking the wind. He had practiced it every night for twelve years. Tomorrow, he would be tested if he's good enough to be an apprentice of the emperor. He could not fail.  The rain started falling but Myungsoo was not fazed. His slashes and strikes have become more precised, more accurate and stronger. He lips curved up into a smile. 

"Myungsoo-ah?" a soft voice called. He looked back and saw his mother looking at him. "You should get some rest now. It's almost midnight." 

"Yes, I'll just finish up." he replied. 

 

Morning came but Myungsoo was already awake a few hours before the sun rose. Holding his sword in place, he cut the tree branch in three. Myungsoo frowned. The second piece was longer than the others, no precision, no accuracy, only strength.

"Do well, my son." his mother cooed.

" I will." he answered and went on his way.

 

They were six when they reached the mountain top. The others followed some hours more. The warriors congratulated them for being the first six. Myungsoo's eyes lighted up with pride and accomplishment. 

"Trainees." the emperor said loudly even though everyone was staring at him with awe the moment he walked out of the palace. "As everyone knows, my son passed away last full moon. The reason? The Nine-tailed fox attacked him. Therefore, the palace needs a new heir but first he must be an apprentice. Your mission..." he trailed off and walked to look at each and everyone of us.  "Is to give the Gumiho to me, dead or alive. The first man to do so will be not only the apprentice, but the future emperor. Now go on your ways, I want the fox on the palace door tomorrow at sunset."

 

"Myungsoo hyung!" Byunghun called behind him. He glanced at him once and continued walking. He'd met Byunghun on his hike towards the mountain peak. He still found it peculiar that a young child like him would try to do such dangerous mission. 

"What do you want?" he answered finally.

"I want to look with you." the kid reasoned, chewing the leaves they passed by. 

"Don't! They might be poisonous." Myungsoo exclaimed,grabbing the half-eaten leaf before throwing it to the forest floor. He then glared at the shocked kid. "Look, I didn't mean to shout but---"

"Shh." Byunghun hushed urgently, dismissing Myungsoo. Myungsoo frowned, Byunghun was too young to make him quiet. "T-the Gumiho is near." 

"What do you mean?" Myungsoo sighed. He looked around and saw nothing but the barren forest. 

 

2ihuyrrjpg.gif

 

"Emperor! A child returns with the nine-tailed fox." the guard shouts. The emperor stood up from his seat and ran towards the door. The  sun was still visible but the kid infront of the emperor was closing his eyes, as if he was sleeping. Finally he took a deep breath and faced the emperor.

"I found it." Byunghun announced, breathing heavily. 

 

Myungsoo gasped as he removed the arrow out of his leg. Once he's recovered, he'd swear to kill that kid. That sly Byunghun.

"Hyung, I'm sorry but my father will be disappointed if I don't succeed." he whimpered before he shot him on the leg and ran off wiith the Gumiho Myungsoo killed.

"Excuse me." an old man cried as he ran to Myungsoo. "H-have you seen the fox?" 

"Don't worry, I already killed the nine-tailed fox." Myungsoo assured him. Before that damn Byunghun ran away with it.

The old man's eyes widened and flashed green. Myungsoo scooted back. "Y-you killed her?" he chanted. Wind blew towards him and he changed shape from an old man to a young, rather dashing, man. His eyes changed colors from gold, black and green, He stared at Myungsoo with an unreadable expression. "Why?" he hissed.

Everything around him flew and circled Myungsoo. Myungsoo closed his eyes in fear. "I-I just wanted to control lives!" he shouted. Since his father died, Myungsoo wanted nothing but to maske things go his way. He wanted to have the thing he wants when and where he wants, one of the main reason he wanted to become an emperor.  He hated the fact that destiny decides for his life, he wanted to be in control. 

"Very well. I'd grant it." the man chuckled.

"R-really?" Myungsoo stammered. "Please! I'd do anything."

"You don't have to give me anything. Consider this as your reward..." the man smiled evily. "For killing my wife." 

 

And with that, everything around Myungsoo turned white.