Being Good Isn't Good Enough (Part I)

Being Good Isn't Good Enough

Lee Howon was a good boy. He never does anything bad. He never smoke, drink, drug or sleep with girls. He was a good boy who’s good at dancing. He didn’t have enough confidence, but people around him said that he’s good. That he should dance…that he would make it big. Howon was a good boy, that’s why he believes in those good words. Because after all…he really love to dance. Then he thought it’s good to build a dream.

 

That good dream ironically force Howon to did a bad thing for the first time in his life. Disobeying his parent’s word. Leaving school…shattering his relationship with his family, particularly his father. But Howon was still a good boy. He still believes that it will be worth it. That someday he will make it up to his father. That someday they will proud of him. Even though they’re not speaking each other till now.

But still…Lee Howon believes in someday. With that good thought Howon moves to Seoul.

 

Unfortunately nothing’s worth comes easy. Howon knows it now. It’s a bigger, prettier, crueler and more complicated world. But Howon still see good things. This is all what he’s been dreaming of. And he works harder than everyone. As a trainee Howon was remarkable. Not only for his dancing skill, but also with his hard efforts. Practice addict, that’s what people called him. He doesn’t mind, because it all worth it. Practice makes him perfect.

 

Hard work never betrays you, Howon always had that in mind. And it’s true.

 

The CEO’s agency was so impressed with him, saying that Lee Howon is talent. Busan Dancing Machine. The CEO told Howon to prepare. Howon will be put in a group. The group that was planned to be debuted soon, and Howon will be the main dancer with the stage name Hoya. Howon can’t be happier. After all he was really the best dancer all out of the whole trainees.

 

Not until Jang Dongwoo came.

 

Dongwoo was introduced as the rapper of the group. He’s weird kid with funny and kind personality. He writes his own rap lyric and it was great, but what makes people think he’s awesome is the way he dance. Dongwoo dance with feeling. It looks fun and effortless. The CEO was so satisfied, saying that Dongwoo and Howon will be a good pair for the group.

 

Howon likes Dongwoo’s kind personality and quickly they get along. It’s easy because actually they have a lot of thing in common. Both of them are awesome at dancing. Maybe just want difference…Howon was good because he’s literally practice addict, while Dongwoo is good because….he’s just a genius.

 

Howon envies that the most. But he thinks it’s just the way it is and it’s okay. It’s okay for him to sleep less and practicing until dawn to make the moves perfect, while Dongwoo just need less than and hour to get it right. It’s okay for Howon to stay up all night producing a new choreography moves while Dongwoo just listen to a song and effortlessly get the idea about the moves. It’s okay.

 

6 months before debut Howon meet with the final member of his group. Beside Dongwoo there was Sunggyu, the eldest and the leader who’s so capable and determined. Woohyun, the greasy and chatty guy with amazing vocal power that makes Howon mesmerized. Sungyeol, a tall guy with childish but lovable personality. Myungsoo, the extremely handsome guy and the cutie maknae Songjong. Howon knows they are good people. Things will be good. Howon believes in that. And again…it’s true.

 

They debuted. And it was huge success. Under the name Infinite, they’re really going through awesome things, while as the young group they still have limitless bright future ahead them. Thing becomes brighter and better for Howon. He thinks he finally can prove it that he wasn’t doing bad thing with leaving school. Unfortunately it took more that just success to make his parent think the same way.

 

After all Howon still the bad son. Bad boy. Everything changes except for that.

 

Yeah, changed. Now everything was bigger and Howon knows he has to work harder to make it all good. Until one day he realized, that being good isn’t good enough.

 

“Why you can’t get it right?! I told you that you have to fix your tone!”Sunggyu’s voice raised. He looked tired and frustrated since it’s been more than 6 hours of vocal practice and they still can’t get it right.

“I’ll try once more…” Hoya said as he looks at the notes, trying not to disappoint the leader.

“Stop! You’re just sounds bad!” Sunggyu snap out. Hoya sighed, hands form fists. He wants to scream. He tried hard, but things just can’t be right. At the end he just can’t look down. Sunggyu notice that and suddenly got a slight regret feeling after yelling at the younger. But his moods just bad right now.

“I’ll work harder.”

“I know you’re a dancer, but singing is also important. How can we sound like this in our new album?” Sunggyu stands up and leaves the practice room. Leaving Hoya alone. The younger just takes a deep breathe. He feels hurt by Sunggyu’s remark, but the leader was right. Lee Howon is not good enough. So at the end he grabs the notes again and starts practicing again.

 

He’s back from practice at 1 AM. He feels his throat sore a little from overused. Everyone have been on the deep sleep and Hoya decide to take a quick shower. He was surprised when he found Sunggyu sitting in the living room as he get out from the bathroom.

“Hyung…you’re not asleep yet?”

“Not yet…”

Hoya just nodded and walk awkwardly towards his bedroom. Sunggyu notices that the younger is uncomfortable with him…it must be because of his action in the practice room.

“I’m sorry…I shouldn’t yell at you.” Sunggyu said. Hoya looks at him.

“It’s not hyung’s fault. I got it wrong.”

“Still…I know you tried hard. I shouldn’t say that.”

“It’s okay…”

“Let’s just try harder next time, okay?”