Minho, The Knight in Shining Armor

Anyber Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minho, The Knight in Shining Armor

 

Amongst the constant buzz and riot that is usually present inside a waiting room of an idol group; the fussing of the stylists to whom and what clothes goes to a particular member and what accessories are suited to it; the chatter of the makeup artists with the members who they were putting the makeup on, to the hair that is suited with the makeup; even the bickering of the stylists and makeup artists when they don't agree with the outcome of their work; the managers who were watching their charges and the some who were talking to the stage hands on 'how, what and where' know hows before the idol group performs; and there's the members itself who were on their own little routines that they do before going out to perform - some were chatting amongst each other, some were tinkling with something on their smart phones, tablets or laptops or even fussing over their makeup and clothes but there was something amiss in the whole scenario... and that is our own social butterfly that is sitting in the corner her right hand propped on the vanity mirror - her chin resting on her palm - staring at the floor and seemingly wanting to bore a hole on the said surface.

 

Amber sighed. And that caught the attention of her co-members, everything that they were doing before was now forgotten, who was sitting on the couch that was near the pixie-haired girl.

 

"Yah, Sulli-ah look at what you did!" Krystal elbowed her same-age friend who was sitting right next to her.

 

"What did I do?" Sulli retorted, she was just minding her own business and now she's being accused of the one at fault on one of the rare times THE Amber Liu of f(x) is quiet and a bit gloomy - if Sulli might add.

 

"You know what it is about Sulli-ah." Luna interrupted hearing the conversation that was going on the 94'ers and was also concerned for the f(x) rapper.

 

"You told her about how Minho-oppa -" but Luna was not able to continue because Sulli cut her off.

 

"Why is it my fault?! I just told her the truth that all of our labelmates and some of our close friends - and Amber's many friends knows, if they got the chance to see it for themselves - knows! Even some of the fans had noticed it." Sulli almost shrieked but because she was also mindful of how private the topic of their conversation is, she did her best not to.

 

"Stop it, as much as I also want to blame this on Sulli-" Victoria started, only now joining the conversation but she heard all of it.

 

"Hey!" Sulli protested but was ignored by the leader who continued as if she didn't hear a thing.

 

"Sooner or later someone will slip and tell her what Sulli said - or something along the lines of it." Victoria said.

  

 

Amber sighed. As much as she wanted to disclaim what Sulli said and say otherwise - she can't because all of the proofs are things that she already experienced herself.

 

The L.A grown idol had always prided herself on being able to stand on her own and protect herself. Being born into a family of four where she doesn't have an older brother, just her father as the only male constantly present in her life. Adding to the fact that her father was most of the time busy with work or out of town because of work, she took it upon herself to learn how to protect herself, her mom, and Jackie. But not without her father's consent - maybe it was because her father saw independence, confidence, and her strong will that was above average than anyone her age back then - he enrolled Amber into Taekwondo where she achieved her black belt.

 

Because of that Amber is stronger than an average female and can be said that she is even stronger than most males, maybe that is the reason why when she got the offer to be a trainee by SM Entertainment she did not hesitate to accept the offer. She was confident she can take care of herself and be able to adjust in another country, although she would be lying if she said that she wasn't scared - she was but she decided to take a risk for her dream, and now here she is. Living her dream and even things that she hadn't dreamt of.

 

But it was too much, never in her life had she imagined that she would be in this situation. It was all because of what Sulli said earlier:

 

Amber was running through the halls after being separated from her group but as she was about to turn by in the corner to another hallway she bumped into someone which almost threw them both to the floor if it weren't for their sense of balance.

 

"Watch it!" the person she had bumped into shouted, which Amber noted was a guy's voice.

 

"Sorry, I wasn't looking." Amber explained whilst looking at the floor, her hands were on her knees still regaining her balance, and the fact that she was catching her breath from all that running, 

 

"Heol, talk about no manners. You bump into me and you don't even apologize properly?!" it was obvious to Amber without even looking that the guy she had bumped into was furious so with one last gulp of air she looked up to properly apologize, after all, she knows that it was really at fault for not looking, But she was not ready at the sight that greeted her when she looked up.

 

It was Minho and a trainee that she'd seen a couple of times at the SM building, and they were staring each other down - or rather Minho was staring the latter down, because of his height and because the trainee was frozen solid - while Minho had a firm grip on the trainee's hand (which was raised) and the smoldering look that Minho gave the latter.

 

"Mi-Minho sunbaenim" the trainee stuttered.

 

"That's right I'm your sunbae and you should treat us with respect, but I just saw otherwise when you almost hit one, Jinho." Minho growled.

 

"Su-sunbae?" he stuttered confused to whom he was talking about, so he looked at the guy that bumped into him and his eyes had widened when he saw Amber of f(x).

 

Deciding it was up to her so that a fight won't go off, she interrupted.

 

"Jinho! What are you doing here? Are you going to be a back-up dancer today? What happened to the dance you were having a hard time on when I saw you the last time? Were you able to do it?" Amber fired her questions one after another in the hopes of distracting them. And judging how Jinho's mouth was agape and Minho's mouth that had curled up on one side it was apparent that she succeeded. So she walked closer to the two and gently pried Minho's grip from Jinho's wrist.

 

Now she was the one holding Minho's wrist and tugged it gently.

 

"It was nice bumping into you Jinho, literally, if you know what I mean." Amber winked at the younger guy. The latter blushed and Minho raised an eyebrow at the action

 

"A-Amber sunbaenim, I-I'm really sorry fo-" but was cut off by Amber.

 

"Tsk, tsk. What did I tell you about the sunbaenim thing?"

 

"Amber noo-noona."

 

"Aish, stop stuttering. Don't worry about what happened, I know I was at fault. And don't mind Minho-oppa," Amber then put an arm around the SHINee rapper but not without a little difficulty "I think he's not in a good mood today."

 

Jinho nodded, at loss for words.

 

Amber grinned, "See you around Jinho." She chirped and then proceeded to drag Minho in the direction of their waiting rooms. But what Amber didn't see was Minho's smirk at the stupefied trainee while he wrapped an arm around her waist.

 

While they were walking in the hallways that will lead to their waiting rooms, Amber didn't know why, but she suddenly felt the increase of her heartbeat from the action of Minho putting an arm around her, and she also couldn't help but notice the warmth from Minho's palms that passes through the t-shirt that she was wearing. Suddenly she felt very uncomfortable with their position. The comfortable silence that Amber was used to having whenever Minho was around disappeared into thin air and turned into an awkward one.

 

"We're here." Minho said, startling Amber.

 

"What?"

 

Instead of answering Minho just pointed the door with his mouth.

 

"Oh…" Amber said and then she removed her arm that was perched on Minho's shoulder but the SHINee rapper's arm around her waist didn't bulge instead he even squeezed her and pulled her closer to him before he opened the door of the waiting room which turns out that it was a joint waiting room for the f(x) and SHINee members. As the door opened all eyes turned to them but it was broken because of the frantic stylist – that is holding clothes on her arms while she hysterically argued on someone on the phone (that was sandwiched between her head and shoulders) about something like switched clothes or something like that – frantically ran (as much as she can whilst holding on to the clothes) into Amber's direction. Minho, with his exceptional athletic skills and reflex, pulled Amber in front of him resulting in him holding her into him with both hands on her waist while Amber stood there stupefied, palms resting on Minho's chest. Because of the action, her heart that was already beating faster had beaten even faster – if that was even possible.

 

It was like time had stopped… literally. All the noises and movements that were going inside the room had stopped, and every eye was trained on them observing them with critical eyes. But Amber was oblivious to that all she could hear was the thundering of her heartbeat ringing in her ears and the butterflies in her stomach that did not seem like they were butterflies anymore, in fact, Amber swore that it seemed that elephants had switched with the butterflies and then housed in her stomach, and was now having a stampede. Amber did not blush and if she did, those moments could be counted with her hands, it seemed that this particular incident will be added to that list – because she could feel the telltale signs of her face heating up… particularly on her cheeks and maybe her ears. 

 

Her musings were cut off because of a cough that came from inside the room, she snapped out of her reverie, and with a jerk, she pushed Minho with more force than necessary. Now worried that she might have hurt his feelings she looked up at his face and was shocked at what she saw… his eyes reflected a look of longing? But for what? Questions assaulted through her mind but she paid it no mind, instead, she gathered her wits and turned to the occupants of the room and smiled. She had successfully fought down the flush that came to her face but could not – for the life of her – fight the redness that decorated her ears. Which was more visible than what she would have liked, for the first time in her life she cursed her short hair. Before, her long hair got in the way whenever she played soccer or basketball but that distraction was more than welcome now if it could hide her reddened ears.

 

Now that her attention was on the occupants that were inside the room Amber could see the mischievous glint that was shown in the eyes of her members. She almost gulped; she would not live this down! Never mind the others who saw that particular moment, her members were more than she could handle. 

 

Jonghyun’s voice rang throughout the room, “Minho-ssi where do you think were you putting your hands on my dino baby sister?”

 

Jonghyun, how could she forget him? Her dino oppa who's too much into the role of being her older brother, and don’t even forget Donghae – he was even worse than Jonghyun, too protective.

 

Minho just shrugged and entered the room but not without ushering Amber into the room, his left hand – as if it was a common occurrence – rested on her waist as he gently guided her inside. Amber followed his nonchalance but not without a faint blush that rested her cheeks – too faint to be seen from a distance. Her ears though were a different matter, as it almost burned with embarrassment.

 

He let go once they were near the couches and chairs where the f(x) and SHINee members were sitting. At that point, she managed to remove the blush on her cheeks but not on her ears.

 

Minho settled himself by leaning against the wall. Amber thought that he looked like he was going to have a photoshoot at that moment.

 

Jonghyun looked like he had more to say but couldn’t since a stagehand announce that it was SHINee’s turn to have their rehearsal – f(x) will do theirs after their sunbaes.

 

Amber rejoiced when they left the room, but there was another matter that she needs all her wits if she wants to survive another of her members probing. But as she was about to say something – just to disprove whatever they were going to of… whatever it is, she was just doing it for the sake of it and hopes that she would get it right – but Sulli just had to open .

 

“Minho-oppa seems like your knight shining armor, right hyung? He seems to be there whenever you are in trouble.”

 

Amber was about to refute that statement but could not, in fact, now that Sulli mentioned it... he seemed to be always there protecting her, or just there for her whenever she needs him. 

 

She remembered that particular incident in the airport where he protected her from the hordes of fans and reporters that were rushing to them and were invading their personal space. Minho pulled her to him; guided her and protected her throughout the walk to their awaiting vans rented for their use during their stay.

 

Then there was when they were in New York, she was caged inside his arms to protect her from falling while riding the second deck of the bus during the duration of their sightseeing in the said city.

 

There were more episodes like that just like what happened earlier, and then random acts like when she was about to fall he would pull her to him and kept her from falling… shielding her when playing basketball or soccer whenever the other guys they were playing with gets too rough and forgets that she is a girl – too fragile (compared to them) for their rough play… she even wonder sometimes how could he come to her rescue every time.

 

 

And every time that happened her heart falls even more than she thought it would. Yes, she is irrevocably, completely, and hopelessly in love with the Mr. Flaming Charisma of SHINee – one of the most sought out males in their industry, girls fall on his feet – without even meaning to, it started as a stupid crush then as she got to know him turned into something more. She tried to stop it and burrow it – so deep that it won't resurface again but alas, fate and her feelings must be against her. She even got to the point where she intentionally ignored him and everything about him but she kept on getting into situations where they would meet unintentionally when she thought that she was at the point where she was finally in the process of forgetting him.

 

All these thoughts of him were not good for her health, with a resolve that was as much as she had when she started training and thriving for her debut, she decided to stop this once and for all.

 

What could even go wrong? Nothing. She knew even from the start that this love was not worth keeping and nurturing, not that the recipient of her feelings was not worth it to even fight for, contrary to that he was very much deserving of love. Just not hers... because even if it was hers to give, there was no guarante

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter