Sick (Woohyun)

Steps TO your HEART

“I don’t think I can make it today.” Her voice at the other end of the line sounded strained and weak. Woohyun furrowed his brows in worry while holding his phone close to his face.

“Where are you now?”
“On the couch…”She replied weakly.
“I’ll be there soon.”
“Woohyu-” She wanted to tell him not to waste his time and enjoy his day without schedules instead, but before she could even reply, he had hung up on her.

Woohyun couldn’t drive properly. He was way too worried about his girlfriend, who sounded extremely sick. They had planned to celebrate him getting his driving license by going out on a 2 day trip and spending their time at a pension. Besides, it was difficult for him to take time off without implicating his schedules. But for her, he managed to do it. ‘She was fine over the phone yesterday, what could have happened?’ He thought to himself as he swung by a pharmacy and practically jogging in. Buying almost all types of medicine possible, the elderly pharmacist looked at him like he was crazy but to Woohyun’s relief; he didn’t ask too many questions about the young man buying so much medicine.

After what seemed to Woohyun like driving for a million years, he finally reached his girlfriend’s house. He was about to knock on the door when he remembered she gave him the password to her apartment a few weeks ago. He keyed in the password and opened the door, and a sight that hurt his heart met his eyes. His girlfriend was sprawled on the couch, shivering with only a thin blanket covering her. Beads of sweat covered her face, and she looked as if she was in great pain. Woohyun rushed to her side, and when she felt his hand on her burning forehead, her eyes fluttered open.
“Why-”Before she could continue, Woohyun had pressed his finger against her lips, his hands still against her hot forehead.
“Let me take care of you. Just trust me, and rest. Okay?”He gave her a slight smile, even though his heart was hurting at how she looked right now. She could only close her eyes and nod, too weak to fight him.

He took out the medicine that he bought and placed it on the dining table. Trying to sort out which one to give her, he was so concentrated in doing his task that he didn’t realize she had spent a great amount of strength getting out of the couch, and is slowly walking towards him. Sensing her, he turned around, and she fell towards him. He gripped her as she fell, and she landed against his chest. Pulling her up and leaning her body on his while gripping her waist, he pulled her close to him. “Why did you get up?”
“I wanted to get some water.”
“You could have told me to get it for you.”
“Well, I wanted to be close to you too…”
Woohyun smiled at her honesty and kissed her forehead. “Don’t worry, you’ll get to see me a lot after you get well okay? Now let’s get you to your bed.”Literally sweeping her off her feet in a flash, Woohyun carried his girlfriend to her bed, and laid her down gently. “Now you rest, while I prepare your medicine.”

After feeding her the various pills she needed, he sat by her side and patted her hair till she fell asleep. her hair softly, and lingering his fingers on the side of her face, he was glad that he was here for her. When he had mentioned bringing her to the doctor’s or the hospital earlier, she strongly resisted, insisting that she only had to lie in for a bit to get well. To get his worry off his mind, he decided to ease her burden by helping around the house. Getting up from the bed and looking around the house, he decided what he wanted to do for her.

When she woke up, feeling much better, Woohyun was not by her side. ‘He must’ve gone home.’ She thought. Slowly getting up, her head still throbbing, she walked out of her bedroom and towards the kitchen, a funny sight greeting her. Woohyun had his fringe tied up in a ribbon hair tie; he was wearing her lacy apron and humming to himself while at the stove cooking something she couldn’t smell because of her blocked nose. She couldn’t help but giggle aloud, making him jump and turn around sharply. Looking at her happy expression, Woohyun felt a surge of happiness in his heart. “Are you that happy to see me?” She nodded, not giving the game away. He was so happy to hear that that he started doing aegyo and throwing her hearts, in which she began to pretend catching. She was laughing so hard that tears came into her eyes. He could see that she was much better, lifting his mood immediately. “Jagiya, sit there!” He gestured to the couch in the living room, “I’ll be there soon!”She smiled and walked towards the living room. ‘He must’ve forgotten about how he looks like.’ She thought as she sat down on the couch, watching her boyfriend’s back view while he cooked.

“Tada!”He put down the soup and waved his hands in a flourish.
“What is it?”She asked.
“Seaweed soup!”
“But it’s not even my birthday!”
“Well… those were the only ingredients available in your refrigerator so…”Woohyun pouted at his girlfriend. “Besides, I’ve actually always wanted my girlfriend to cook seaweed soup for me, who would’ve thought that I did it first?”To that, she playfully stuck her tongue out at him. “Merong~”
“By the way,” she looked at him with a teasing smile, “have you looked in the mirror yet?”He hurriedly got up and she could hear him yell from the living room as he realized how ridiculous he looked.

After a long dinner with Woohyun insisting on feeding her, he lovingly carried her back to her bed, refusing to let her walk. Laying her down on the bed, Woohyun climbed up the queen sized bed and sat up, looking at his girlfriend and her hair. “How did you get sick?”
“I guess cos I got caught in the rain while walking home yesterday. I’m sorry I totally ruined our trip.”
“It’s okay jagiya~” Woohyun replied in a sing-song voice. “Even though I might’ve looked like a drug dealer buying almost all the drugs in the pharmacy, all I want for you now is to get well. Besides, we’re together and that’s what matters, right?” She smiled at his greasiness and closed her eyes.
“Sing me a song.”Woohyun her hair and looked at her lovingly as he sang a song he knew was her favorite; ‘Cactus’, and slowly, she fell asleep.

The next morning, when she awoke, fully recovered, she found herself in Woohyun’s arms and looking at his tired sleeping face, she felt a tinge of guilt at making him taking care of her the whole day when she was sick. She traced her fingers over his nose, and slowly, his eyelids fluttered open. “Jagiya, you’re all recovered?”
“Yep!”She nodded and answered him cheerily. He smiled sleepily and hugged her closer to him.
“Okay then, it’s my turn to rest.”
“Then let go of me!”She tried to push him away, suffocating a little in his tight embrace.
“No,” he said as he hugged her tighter. “You’ll be my pillow today to make up for yesterday. Arasso?”
She decided it wouldn’t hurt to sleep in a little more and snuggled up to him, a smile on both their faces.