Children’s Style?

Falling Behind

The class 10-C is filled by ruckus. The teacher for the next course has not come in yet. Everyone in the class is having their free time with talking and laughing. Everyone, except one girl who has furrow brows on her face.  

 

Song Jieun is caressing her sore knee slowly, feeling uncomfortable with the pain and the purple color that has become more visible. Her friend, Jung Hana who sits beside her desk stops talking with other as she looks toward Jieun.

 

“You should go to infirmary,” Hana says with worry and confuse look. She doesn’t know what happen to her friend’s knee, but she chooses to not ask. One thing that she sure of is that her friend has been in a bad mood since she arrived at their class. “… I will accompany you.”

 

Jieun shakes her head. She doesn’t want to be a burden. “I will go by myself,” She tries to stand up before looking to her friend, smiling a bit. “… don’t worry.”

 

“Are you sure?” Hana stands up from her seat, reaching for Jieun’s arm. Jieun just gives her a nod before walking slowly towards the back door.

 

Her pace stops as she looks someone on the door. The boy whom she doesn’t want to see in this time is chatting with some boys from her class. She turns around with pout on her face. “What’s wrong?” Hana grabs her arms. “… is Mrs. Kim coming?” She glances to the back door. “Not yet,” she mumbles. “Don’t worry, if she comes in I will tell her that you’re going to infirmary.” She gives a mother smile.

 

“I just want to go through the front door,” Jieun says without looking at her friend. She misses the mother smile of her friend. “… and don’t tell Daehyun that I’m going to infirmary.” She put her forefinger in front of her lips.

 

She rushes with limp foot, using her friend’s bodies as a shield to hide her figure, doesn’t want the brunette to catch her presence. But in a few steps after she leaves front door, she feels a familiar arm wrapping around her shoulder. She doesn’t need to turn aside to know whose arm it is. She makes a pout in annoyance.

 

“Where are you going?” Jieun can feel his breath on her ear. It makes her shiver.

 

“Too close, Daehyun-ah.” She tries to wiggle out of Daehyun’s strong arm.

 

“What’s the matter?” The brunette pulls back his arm, doesn’t want to make her feel annoyed. Actually Jieun has been used to make skinship with him regarding that they have been together since forever. But lately, she just feels uncomfortable. Not only because of her knee but there is something else that keep bugging her mind. For some reason, she just wants to stay away from him for a moment but the clingy Jung Daehyun doesn’t help.

 

“Nothing.” She can’t tell him the reason. She doesn’t want to make him worry on her. “Why don’t you go to your class anyway?” She tries to change the topic.

 

Daehyun laughs. “You don’t know?” She looks up to him and shrugs. “Our teachers have a sudden meeting for an hour.” She lets out a small ‘oh’.  “So where are you going?”

 

“Sunhwa’s class.”

 

“Without Hana?”

 

Thinking again for the reply, Jieun bites her lower lip. “I just want to borrow her magazine.”

 

“Oh... she likes anime magazine too?”

 

“She likes fashion magazine, and never touches anime magazine.” She feels sad for a second, remembering that her girl friends don’t have same hobby like her

 

“Since when,” He pauses, turning Jieun’s shoulder to face him. “… you like those magazines?” Jieun notices a playful smirk on his face. She frowns and glaring at the brunette.

 

“Since now!” She pushes his chest harshly and walks fast to leave him, involuntarily she forgets her attempt to walk without limp.

 

“What happen with your leg?” He walks closer with concern look. “Let me see.” He kneels down and observing the bruise on her knee. Jieun feels her face warmer.

 

“I-it’s okay.” She shoves away his hand from her knee. Then the brunette turns around and waiting for giving her a piggy back.

 

“I’ll take you to infirmary.” Jieun shakes her head.

 

“It’s embarrassing, Dae. We’re not child anymore. I can walk by myself.” She holds his arm, trying to make him up.

 

“No. I can’t let you hurt your knee more.” Right after he stands up, he carries her in a bridal style. She turns to him with wide eyes and gap mouth. The other just responds her with wide smile. Staring each other, Jieun realises that their faces are just too close. She can see closely his dimples beneath his eyes, the part that she loves the most from his perfect face. She can feel that her face becomes warmer when his brown orbs stare at her. “This one is not like children’s, right?”

 

 

“Dae, put me down,” She whispers on him. “… this is so embarrassing.” She can see that everybody is staring at them as they walk pass them.

 

“Just cover your face then.” He chuckles. Unlike Jieun, he isn’t bothered by the stares of the others, even he greets some of them.

 

Listening to his advice, she covers her face by snuggling on his neck. Inhaling Daehyun’s familiar scent deeply, she can’t help but smile. Tightening her embrace on Daehyun’s neck, she just hopes, time would stop right now.