Rush and Messiness

Falling Behind

Song Jieun is tying her school tie in a rush. She groans softly when she hears another shout outside. She runs to her room balcony with annoyed face, staring at a boy who is sitting calmly on his white motorbike, down there in front of her house.

 

“If you’re being this impatient,” she pauses until the brunette looks up to her. “… you can go without me.” She is so sure that the brunette won’t let her go to school by herself. They always go to school together since they’re on kindergarten. He would always be the one who took times to wait just because he couldn’t leave her. Since child, they’re habitually accustomed to being one with another. At least, that’s what she thinks about.

 

When she looks a pout on his perfect face, she thinks that she has won. She is about to smile in victory when he replies.

 

“If you say so,” Jieun watches with wide eyes when he wears his white helm and starts the engine.“… bye.” He waves a bit before positioning himself to drive.

 

Panic, she shouts loudly. “YA! JUNG DAEHYUN!” She shouts as loud as she can with her tiny voice.

 

The other stops his act and laughing so hard. Jieun looks his familiar gesture of laugh in disgust. She’s been tricked. She can’t believe she’s the one that lose this time. Only in this thing, she always won over him. Now, it seems like he wins in everything. He is higher, smarter, funnier and tidier than her, also more popular, friendly, gorgeous, and talented. It has been a long time since the first time she realizes that she envies him.

 

Leaving her balcony and the laughing still boy, in more annoyed face than before, she rushes back to her room.

 

She is really in a rush, running here and there just to find her pink phone. Finally, she finds it on her study desk, the one that she passed off for many times. She puts it into her backpack while running towards the door. But before she can reach the knob door, she stumbles, falling knees first onto the scattered clothes. She curses her messy room, regretting her laziness to not hear her mom’s advice for cleaning up her room. If not because of the dominant pink colors, her room doesn’t look like a girl room.

 

She rubbed her knees softly, sighing when she sees that a bruise already shows up on her white knee. The pain shoots through her body as she getting up to her foots, moreover when she walks. She forces herself to carry on. She goes downstairs and walks to front door with limp foot.

 

“Eomma, I leave!” She shouts weakly because of the pain on her knee, hoping that her mom  can hear it, and she does.

 

“Don’t ever go to school without this,” Her mom comes from the kitchen, walking towards her with a pink lunchbox on her hand. “.. be careful out there.” She plants a kiss on her forehead before smiling and pushes her toward the door.

 

Ppali, don’t make him wait any longer.” She says before heading back to kitchen.

 

Right after she closes the door, she hears his rambling.

 

“Ya! Why are you so slow? You make me regret for waiting you.” She rolls her eyes, managing herself to walk without limp, doesn’t want to let Daehyun making fun of her sloppiness.

 

“Next time,” She says softly when she reaches his place. The brunette leans forward to hear her words clearly. “… you can just leave me behind.” Out of nowhere, she feels the urgent to say those words. She really meant it.

 

What she doesn’t know is that she just has made a mistake. A mistake, where she gives an excuse for leaving her.