The Date: Part 1

DaeJin One Shots

 

Leeteuk and Kangin were cuddled together on the couch, watching a television program when they heard Haejin come out of his room. 

 

“So, what do you think? Do I pass your test?” he asked as he stood before them and held his arms out so they could get a good look at his finished product.

 

“Wow, look at you!” smiled Leeteuk as he leaned his head up from Kangin’s shoulder to get a better look.

 

He was wearing the lavender sweater that Leeteuk had bought him that morning, with a collared shirt underneath and a pair of white skinny jeans.

 

“It’s easy to forget you clean up nice when you don’t have on those ratty band tees and a cap on,” Kangin chuckled as Haejin smoothed out his sweater. “You don’t even look like yourself.”

 

Haejin’s shoulders slumped as he frowned.

 

“See Appa, that’s what I was telling you—I’m going to go change,” Haejin sighed as he headed back towards his room.

 

“Wait a minute, come back here. Your Appa is only teasing, you know that. What he was trying to say is that you look very handsome and we both approve. Right?” Leeteuk asked, looking at Kangin for confirmation.

 

“Yes, of course Jin-ah, you look nice. My G-d, you’ve suddenly turned into the most serious kid today.”

 

“Sorry Appa, I’m just really nervous about Daerim’s reaction,” said Haejin rubbing the back of his neck shyly.

 

“Well, she’ll love it, I’m positive.” nodded Kangin.

 

“Thank you Appa,” said Haejin.

 

“So, are you all ready to go then?” asked Leeteuk with a smile as Haejin moved to take a seat on the couch beside them.

 

“Yeah, I think so,” he said with a nod as he looked himself over.

 

“So you all have your reservation at the restaurant for seven o’clock and then you’re taking her for coffee nearby and then home, right?” clarified Leeteuk.

 

“Yes,” said Haejin with another firm nod.

 

Leeteuk glanced at Kangin and then titled his head in Haejin’s direction.

Kangin tilted his head to the side in confusion.

 

“Money,” Leeteuk coughed as discreetly as possible.

 

“Oh, right,” Kangin smiled to which Leeteuk softly rolled his eyes.

 

“I’m not sure how much you have saved for this or what you were planning to spend, but your Appa and I want to give you this,” said Leeteuk as Kangin pulled out 100,000 ₩. “This should cover everything.”

 

Haejin’s eyes grew when he realized the amount.

 

“Appas, thank you, but it’s too much,” said Haejin shaking his head.

 

“No, we want you to take it. I know you and your friends like to take the subway a lot, even though we’ve told you that we don’t like it, but we don’t want you traveling around with Daerim around on it tonight,” started Kangin.

 

“But the subway is the quickest way to get there,” said Haejin shaking his head.

 

“But on a Saturday night, it’s too risky with the two of you together. If someone recognizes you, it’ll be difficult to get out of the situation,” said Leeteuk.

 

Haejin sighed, “How are we supposed to get around then? The bus? That’s just as bad.”

 

“That’s what this is for. You can take a taxi tonight,” said Kangin nodding at the money.

 

Haejin nodded. “Okay, anything else before I leave?”

 

“Be smart and be safe, try to make sure that she’s your first priority, all right?” said Leeteuk. “Because it’s Daerim, I want to you be extra cautious, all right?”

 

“Yes Appa, I know, we’ve gone over it before,” sighed Haejin. “I don’t how you all expected me to treat her in the first place. She’s always my first priority.”

 

“I just want to make sure you remember Haejin-ah,” said Leeteuk smoothing down one of the shoulders of Haejin’s sweater and picking off a piece of random lint. “She’s not just some girl that you like from school. She’s our niece as well.”

 

“And we also want you back at a reasonable hour. I’m not sure what Daerim’s curfew will be, but knowing Siwon, it’ll be early as possible, so make sure that you have her home on time as well,” said Kangin.

 

Haejin nodded as he stood to walk over to the shoe closet.

 

“And be polite, and kind. To her and your samchons!” added Leeteuk as he and Kangin rose to follow him.

 

When they reached the front door, Leeteuk stopped him.

 

“Don’t forget the gift you’ve prepared for her Jin-ah,” he said touching his shoulder.

 

“Oh right!” said Haejin racing by them to get the present he had prepared for Daerim.

 

“Why this plant thing again Jin-ah?” asked Kangin once Haejin had returned holding a small gift bag. “Don’t you think flowers would have been better? Or chocolate?”

 

“Daerim doesn’t like flowers,” said Haejin shaking his head.

 

“See, he’s already paying attention to details. Good job,” said Leeteuk with a smile as he took the bag from Haejin so that he could put on his shoes.

 

When he stood up again he nodded at his parents. “Well, I guess I better go now, I don’t want her to be waiting for me.”

 

“Yes, well, good luck and have a good night sweetheart!” Leeteuk said as Haejin opened the door.

 

“Thank you Appa,” chuckled Haejin as he stepped out into the hallway.

 

“Ah, Haejin-ah, one more thing,” said Kangin a little softer as he stepped closer to Haejin, slightly out of earshot from Leeteuk.

 

“Yes Appa,” said Haejin pausing as Leeteuk looked on curiously.

 

 “After your date is finished and you're dropping her off at home, make sure you kiss her goodnight,” he said whispered softly in his ear.

 

“Young Woon-ah!” said Leeteuk smacking Kangin’s shoulder as Haejin laughed.

 

“Yah! What?!” asked Kangin rubbing his shoulder as he looked back at Leeteuk.

 

“Do you think I didn’t hear you?! Don’t tell him to do that! A first kiss is supposed to happen naturally, not as a consolation prize for a nice evening out!”

 

“Okay well I’m not saying to throw yourself on her Jin-ah,” said Kangin. “But a little kiss goodnight is harmless. That’s what will really make this feel more special for the both of you.”

 

“Not if it’s forced—Jin-ah, wait until you're both ready, if that’s tonight, well then, great. But don’t let this be one more thing to add pressure to your evening,” said Leeteuk pushing past Kangin to look Haejin in the eyes. “If you listen to your Appa you might end up getting punched.”

 

“Ah, okay Appa, I got it. Daerim’s left handed, so I have to remember to dodge to the left after I kiss her goodnight, right?” chuckled Haejin.

 

“Great job Kangin-ah, now he thinks it’s a joke,” sighed Leeteuk

 

“I just—“ started Kangin.

 

“Appa, come on, of course I’m not gonna just force her into anything. When that moment comes I want it to be special for both of us,” said Haejin with a small smile.

 

“And there’s my sweet boy,” said Leeteuk cupping his cheek. “All right, go on before you really are late.”

 

Haejin nodded and he jogged down the hallway towards the elevators.

 

“I can’t believe you!” being the last thing he heard Leeteuk say before giving Kangin another slap to the arm as the elevator doors closed shut.

 

 

 

                                                            ~**~

 

When Haejin was finally standing at the front door of Daerim’s apartment, his finger hovered nervously over the doorbell. He didn’t know why all of a sudden a wave of anxiety had hit him, but it was making his mouth dry and his palms slightly sweaty.

 

Swallowing hard, he pressed it and then waited the seconds until he heard a voice acknowledging his presence.

 

“Haejin-ah?” Siwon’s voice asked through the intercom.

 

“Y-yes, samchon?” Haejin responded, turning towards the camera.

 

Siwon said nothing more, instead just walking to the front door and opening it to reveal a startled Haejin.

 

“Good evening samchon,” Haejin said giving a small bow before stepping inside.

 

Siwon nodded before walking back into the apartment, leaving Haejin to take off his shoes alone.

 

When Haejin finally walked into the rest of the apartment, he saw that Siwon was the only one sitting  in the living room, much to his dismay.

 

“Uh—is Daerim—“ he started, looking around for any trace of her.

 

“She’s not ready yet,” said Siwon simply. “Sit down.”

 

Haejin nodded and walked over, sitting in one of the chairs that faced the couch Siwon was sitting on.

 

“So,” said Siwon letting out a long exhale. “This all happened pretty quickly, wouldn’t you say?”

 

“What did samchon?” asked Haejin shaking his head in confusion.

 

“You. Daerim. For years you were just friends and now all of a sudden you’ve decided that you like her and you want to take her out on a date,” said Siwon taking a sip from the beer bottle that had been resting on the table.

 

“Well, it didn’t happen as quickly as that samchon,” Haejin laughed nervously. “I’ve always liked Daerim. She’s very special to me and always has been.”

 

Haejin watched as Siwon said nothing for a minute, instead choosing to reflect on Haejin’s words.

 

“So, where are you taking my daughter tonight?” asked Siwon leaning forward.

 

“Uh, well, we have a reservation at a restaurant near E-dae,” said Haejin, a little caught off guard by Siwon’s sudden question.

 

“E-dae?” he questioned.

 

“Daerim loves going there, so I thought it would be a nice area to have dinner,” Haejin said clearing his throat.

 

“What restaurant?”

 

“Uh, it’s an Italian restaurant. Daerim loves Italian—

 

“Yes, I know Haejin-ah. She’s my child, I know what she likes and dislikes. The name please?”

 

“Sorry, uh…La Tavola,” he said sheepishly.

 

“And then you’ll bring her home?” asked Siwon.

 

“Well, actually I thought we’d get some coffee,” said Haejin. “There’s a nice coffee shop that I found that I think she’ll like.”

 

Siwon nodded. “That sounds…nice. I think she’ll enjoy it.”

 

“Thanks samchon,” Haejin said with a small smile.

 

“Wonnie? Is he here?” came Kyuhyun’s voice from the back.

 

“Yeah,” said Siwon casually.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything?! Aigoo,” said Kyuhyun walking into the living room. “Hi Haejin-ah. How are you?”

 

“Hi Kyu samchon, I’m doing well.  How are you?” Haejin asked with a relieved smile as he stood.

 

“Great. Wow, you look very nice, I like your sweater,” said Kyuhyun pausing.

 

“Thank you,” said Haejin looking down at himself and then back up.

 

“Daerim will be out in just a minute,” said Kyuhyun. “Are you okay? You look a little nervous. Siwon isn’t being mean to you is he?”

 

“No, not at all,” said Haejin shaking his head quickly.

 

“Good,” said Kyuhyun smiling over at Siwon who nodded in confirmation. “Can I get you anything?”

 

“No, I’m okay,” said Haejin.

 

“Okay, I’ll be right back then. I’m not sure what could be taking her so long now.”

 

“Uh-well, okay,” said Haejin, reluctant to be left with Siwon again.

 

Once they were alone, Siwon cleared his throat as he stood.

 

“I just want to say one last thing to you Haejin-ah,” he said walking closer to where Haejin was standing.

 

“Yes samchon?” asked Haejin weakly as he turned to face him.

 

“I’m not trying to make you nervous or scare you, but I want you to know that I’m serious when I say that that little girl in there, is very precious to me. And if you do anything to hurt her, or make even just a frown appear on her face, I’m coming after you,” said Siwon, his voice very even and smooth.

 

Haejin’s eyes searched Siwon’s, checking for any evidence of humor or lightness.

 

There was none.

 

“I understand samchon. I would never—

 

“Good, that’s all I need to hear,” said Siwon before placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. “And just be aware that since I won’t be with you all tonight, it is your responsibility to keep her safe at all times. Understood?”

 

Haejin nodded.

 

“Great,” Siwon smiled for the first time.

 

It was then that Haejin heard the footsteps down the hallway. First it was Heechul and Gunhee, then Kyuhyun, and last he finally was able to lay eyes on Daerim.

 

As they all stood before him, he was sure that somewhere along the way he had greeted his other samchons, but he couldn’t be too sure, because all he saw was her.

 

Her now long burgundy hair that fell softly on her shoulders. The pretty white blouse with the intricate black eyelet collar. The gentle pleats in the short black skirt that showed her long and thin legs. The soft pink of her lips. The dark curve of her almond eyes. The delicate studs in her ears. And even the pale rose color on her nails.

 

He noticed it all.

 

Every last detail.

 

“Oppa…are you okay?” asked Daerim as Haejin had yet to move.

 

“You're welcome Haejin-ah!” Heechul sang out as he elbowed Gunhee with a smirk.

 

Haejin instantly closed his mouth and shook his head as his cheeks began to flush, coming back in the moment.

 

Siwon shifted uneasily before turning to look at Kyuhyun.

 

“Baby, don’t-don’t you think her skirt is a little too short?” whispered Siwon as he took notice to how much of Daerim’s legs showed.

 

“It’s fine, it’s no shorter than her school skirt,” Kyuhyun whispered back shaking his head.

 

“You look…beautiful,” was all Haejin could think to say and Siwon’s shoulders immediately slumped when he saw Daerim’s eyes brighten.

 

“I tell her that everyday!” hissed Siwon looking at Kyuhyun as his eyes grew.
 

“I know Wonnie, but it’s different coming from him. Now shhh,” said Kyuhyun giving his cheek a gentle kiss as he placed his arms around Siwon’s waist.

 

“Thank you Oppa,” she smiled walking closer to him. “You look really nice too.”

 

Haejin swallowed hard, seeing even more details now that she was closer to him.

 

“What’s that?” asked Daerim motioning to the bag in his hands.

 

“Oh I…I brought it for you,” said Haejin followed her eyes to the bag in his hands.

 

Daerim smiled, anticipating what it might be.

 

He handed it to her and watched anxiously as she peeked inside.

 

Once she realized what it was, Daerim gasped and then laughed, pulling it out of the little bag.

 

In her hands she held a tiny potted flower.

 

“A plant?” asked Siwon dryly.

 

“That’s…sweet Haejin-ah,” said Kyuhyun as he and the other men shared confused glances.

 

“Daerim’s always saying that she hates cut flowers because they die so quickly and it makes her feel sad. So I thought if I gave her a potted flower she could feel happy while she watched it grow into something more beautiful,” Haejin clarified.

 

“My G-d that is so sweet!” cooed Heechul clutching Gunhee’s arm.

 

“Oh come on, everyone knows those things die in like a week. And with the way Daerim is with taking care of things—started Siwon as he motioned towards the plant.

 

“Wonnie,” said Kyuhyun smacking his arm.

 

“Thank you Oppa, it’s really pretty,” said Daerim holding it lovingly in her hands as she looked back at him.

 

“Well, you two have to get going pretty soon, right? You have reservations,” said Kyuhyun moving forward to take Daerim’s plant when it looked like they might stand there staring at each other all night.

 

“Yeah, it won’t be good if we’re late,” said Haejin allowing Daerim to walk ahead of him towards the front door.

 

“Uh, Daerim, just a minute, I want to give you something,” said Siwon reaching for his wallet.

 

“Oh no, it’s okay samchon, I’ve got it covered,” said Haejin.

 

“Still, Daerim, I want you to take this,” said Siwon handing money out to her.

 

“Appa,” said Daerim softly, worried Siwon was embarrassing Haejin.

 

“If something happens you need to be able to take care of yourself baby, take it,” said Siwon motioning towards her purse.

 

“Just in case aegi-yah,” said Kyuhyun taking the money from Siwon and folding it more discreetly before handing it to Daerim.

 

She nodded softly, not making eye contact with Haejin as she slipped the money in her bag.

 

As Haejin opened the front door for them to leave, Siwon stopped them once again.

 

“We haven’t talked about a curfew yet,” he said putting his hand on the door. “Daerim-ah, I want you back by nine, okay?”

 

Both of them looked at Siwon and then immediately Kyuhyun who was standing slightly behind him.

 

Kyuhyun held up all ten of his fingers to which they both smiled.

 

Siwon glanced over his shoulder just quickly enough to see Kyuhyun lowering his hands with a smile.

 

“Kyu!”

 

“Have a great time you guys!” Kyuhyun said quickly as he watched them walk quickly down the hall towards he elevator.

 

“Any later and I’m changing the door code Daerim!” called out Siwon before Kyuhyun yanked him inside by his arm.

 

 

FOUR HOURS LATER

 

 

Daerim’s head was down cast as she pushed in the door code to her apartment. When she walked into the apartment she was immediately greeted with the loud laughs of her parents as she heard the TV blasting. Part of her was relieved as she stepped out of her heels, hoping that they would be distracted enough to not here her slip past them and into her room.

 

Creeping past the shoes closet and into the main area of the apartment, she saw they her parents were on the couch, completely immersed in the variety program that was currently on. She could see the back of Kyuhyun’s head and she imagined that Siwon must have had his head in Kyuhyun’s lap after hearing his laughter again. Because they were facing away from her, it gave her the perfect opportunity to slip down the hallway and into her room unnoticed.

 

She was about halfway across the floor when suddenly her bag slipped down from her shoulder and hit the ground with a dull thump.

 

Kyuhyun immediately turned to look in her direction, and then smiled when he realized it was her.

 

“Aegi-yah, you're back!” smiled Kyuhyun as he looked over his shoulder at her as she trudged over to them. “Why were being so quiet? I expected you to burst in singing from joy.”

 

Seeing her face completely unresponsive made his smile fade.

 

“Aegi-yah, what’s wrong? What happened?” he asked, his voice changing.

 

At these words Siwon popped up and looked at Daerim’s face for himself.

 

Daerim smiled weakly and shook her head.

 

“Everything was fine Appa, really,” she croaked out, not even convincing herself.

 

“Why are you wearing his sweater?” asked Kyuhyun frowning in confusion.

 

Daerim looked down at herself, almost having forgot that she was indeed wearing Haejin’s purple sweater over her own shirt.

 

“We had an accident…my shirt got ruined,” she said softly as she pulled at the sleeves of the sweater.

 

Siwon’s jaw tightened as he saw the unshed tears already building up in her eyes as she struggled to keep them in.

 

“Where is he? Is he home yet?” asked Siwon standing up his voice cold.

 

“Wonnie, wait, we don’t even know what’s happened yet,” said Kyuhyun grabbing his hand.

 

“Well it’s clear he did something to upset her Kyu. I knew this would happen. I warned him before they left that if he hurt her, I was coming for him—where are my keys? If I leave now I can beat him to his house and be waiting there for him—

 

“Aigoo, Wonnie, just sit down for a minute and let her explain,” said Kyuhyun jerking his arm down.

 

“Appa, really please don’t get upset,” Daerim said, her voice cracking as she stepped forward.

 

“Come here aegi-yah,” said Kyuhyun holding his arms out, beckoning her over.

 

Daerim walked around the side of the couch and falling into Kyuhyun’s open arms, leaning her head on his chest. Siwon sat down on the other side of her and looked at Kyuhyun as they waited for her to say something.

 

Daerim only sniffled as she wrapped her arm around Kyuhyun’s waist, burying her face in his shirt.

 

“Baby, you have to tell Appa what happened,” said Siwon softly as he reached out to the back of her head.

 

It was then that Daerim finally burst out in tears.

 

“It wasn’t his fault!” she gasped between mouthfuls of tears.

 

What wasn’t his fault?” asked Kyuhyun trying to get her to lift her head up.

 

“Everything!”

 

Siwon looked at Kyuhyun who shrugged helplessly in response.

 

“Sweetheart, you have to tell us what happened or we wont know how to make you feel better,” Siwon said as he moved closer to her.

 

Daerim was quiet again for a few moments as she tried to calm her cries.

 

Once she had finally calmed down, she pulled her now tear stained face away from Kyuhyun’s shoulder and looked at them both.

 

“First, answer me, did he hurt you?” asked Siwon to clarify.

 

Daerim shook her head.

 

“Did he say something to make you upset?” asked Kyuhyun wiping away her tears.

 

Again Daerim shook her head.

 

“Aegi-yah—

 

“It wasn’t him…just…everything went wrong,” she said softly as she thought back on the night.

 

“Baby please, just tell us from the beginning, what happened?” asked Siwon taking one of her hands in his.

 

“Well,” Daerim began softly.