Getting Ready

DaeJin One Shots

 

Kyuhyun was in the kitchen preparing breakfast, when he suddenly felt arms clasp around his waist. It didn’t startle him too much, because being married to Siwon had made him grow accustomed to surprises like this. 

 

Usually though, he could expect this embrace to be coupled with a tender kiss to the neck. But this time it was replaced with a quick kiss to his back and the feeling of a soft cheek brushing against the fabric of his shirt.

 

For a moment it caught him off guard, but the severe height difference and the slimness of the arms quickly gave way to the fact that this obviously wasn’t his husband.

 

“Good morning aegi-yah,” he smiled as she peaked her head around to look at him.

 

“Good morning appa!” she sang back.

 

“Why are you in such a good mood this morning?” he asked as she moved around in sync with him while he walked to the refrigerator.

 

“Because…my date is tonight,” she whispered.

 

“Ah, right!” he said faking surprise as he stopped in the middle of the floor. “Is that today?”

 

“Yes it’s today. And it’s going to be the happiest day ever…thanks to you Kyu appa, really,” said Daerim leaning her head on his back again.

 

Kyuhyun smiled and turned around so that he could hug her with one arm, “Anything for you aegi-yah, you know that.”

 

“Really?” she asked softly, looking up at him with hopeful eyes.

 

“Yeah, why is that such a shock to you? Have we been awful parents these last fourteen years?” he chuckled.

 

“No, it’s just that…I was hoping to ask you for one more favor,” said Daerim gently tugging on his shirt.

 

“Hmmm…I don’t know. I think I’m all favored out at the moment, why don’t you check back next week when my kindness has replenished itself—

 

“Ap-pa,” she whined leaning on the counter beside him.

 

“Aegi-yah,” he teased, mocking her tone as he continued to focus on his task.

 

Daerim was quiet and Kyuhyun knew she was pouting.

 

“What is it?” asked Kyuhyun knowingly with a smile.

 

Daerim smiled brightly. “Can you call Chullie samchon and ask if Gunhee samchon can do my hair?”

 

“Wha…Daerim-ah, it’s way too early to be calling Kim Heechul, you should know that from personal experience, remember? Not to mention it’s Saturday, I’m sure Gunhee’s booked. Why don’t you just wear it how you normally do?”

 

“Appa, come on, please?” asked Daerim as wiggled Kyuhyun’s arm. “You promised before.”

 

“Did I?” Questioned Kyuhyun tilting his head to the side.

 

“Yes!” laughed Daerim.

 

“Are you sure you wouldn’t rather just do it yourself? Or I could do it for you! I still remember how to make a nice ponytail or I could do two pretty pigtails like I used to?” suggested with a smile as he grabbed Daerim’s hair in two handfuls, separating it how he’d just described.

 

“Appa, I would look like I was a five year old again,” said Daerim shaking her hair free from his grip.

 

“But you looked so cute back then. Now you’re always begging me to let you cut it or dye it…which Gunhee is always trying to do, why does it have to be him?” sighed Kyuhyun.

 

“Because, Gunhee samchon is the best and I want everything to look perfect tonight,” said Daerim with a small pout.

 

“If I call him…you have to promise me you wont choose something too drastic. I know Haejin likes to get experimental with his hair, but your Wonnie appa and I don’t want you to start going down the same path.”

 

“I promise, nothing too drastic…does this mean you’ll do it?” she asked with hopeful eyes.

 

“Okay, okay,” Said Kyuhyun with a sigh.

 

“Oh thank you Appa,” said Daerim leaning up to kiss his cheek. “I’m going to go get dressed.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded as he watched her scamper off.

 

After he had things simmering on the stove, Kyuhyun decided to get this over with as soon as possible, so he reached for his phone on the counter beside him.

 

“Please be awake, please be awake,” mumbled Kyuhyun to himself as he dialed the numbers into the phone with a bit of hesitation.

 

Hello?” came a tired voice from the other end.

 

Kyuhyun palmed his face.

 

“Hi Hyung,…it’s Kyu.”

 

“Maknae…do you have any idea what time it is?”

 

“Uh…nine am, Hyung,” said Kyuhyun scratching the back of his head.

 

Heechul let out a groan, “You're not one to usually call this early….is everything okay?”

 

“Yes, but I needed to ask you a question,” said Kyu knowing it was best to get straight to the point.

 

“Mmmm…shoot.”

 

“I know that it’s incredibly short notice, but is Gunhee busy today?” Kyuhyun asked quickly.
 

“It’s Saturday Kyu, of course he’ll be busy, why?” asked Heechul with a tired chuckle.

 

“Never mind then, it’s okay,” said Kyuhyun.

 

“No, go on, you've peaked my interest now, what do you need? Are you finally ready to try something new?”

 

“Well, no, I’m not asking for me, it’s for Daerim,” started Kyuhyun.

 

“Oh! And what would she be needing Gunhee’s services for?” asked Heechul perking up a little with a grin that was apparent even over the phone.

 

“She going out on her first date tonight with Haejin—

 

“Oh my G-d, seriously?! Masi’s letting her go out on a legitimate date?! Is he in town?! Is he ill?!” laughed Heechul.

 

“Well it took some convincing, but he finally agreed—

 

“You mean you threatened to withhold your body and he realized that by blocking his daughter he’d essentially be blocking himself,” said Heechul still laughing.

 

“Yeah Hyung, something like that,” said Kyuhyun shaking his head at his hyung’s still erted  mind.

 

“I must say, I’m glad to see that you’ve still got it maknae. Anyway, what time is this little event going down for our Daerim?”

 

“Wait, I thought you said Gunhee would be busy?” asked Kyuhyun.

 

“Maknae, I make Gunhee’s schedule. He may be the artiste but I am the captain. So it’s simply a matter of rescheduling. Everyone will get over it, they're loyal customers.”

 

“Uh, okay then. Well, he’s supposed to be picking her up at around six, so—

 

“We’ll be there around noon.”

 

“Wha—Hyung! I was thinking like five or maybe just four! Noon?!”

 

“Kyu, like I said Gunhee is an artiste. You can’t rush genius.”

 

“But it takes him like 30 minutes to do your hair!”

 

“Daerim has three times the length as any of us sweet maknae. Ladies take longer than men. But fine, if you seem to think that’s too unreasonable four o’clock is fine. What was she hoping to have done?”

 

“Maybe just curls, nothing too fussy, I want to keep things as normal as possible.”

 

“Hmmm, okay, we’ll think of something,” Mused Heechul.

 

“Thank you so much Hyung, Daerim will be so happy to know you're coming.”

 

“Tell our little princess not to worry. We’ll make sure Haejin drops dead the moment he sees her.”

 

“Uh…great Hyung, thanks.”

 

 “See you later Kyu,” chuckled Heechul.

 

“See you later Hyung, bye.”

 

 

                                                            ~**~

 

“So, Haejin-ah have you decided where you're going to take Daerim out tonight?” asked Leeteuk taking a sip from his hot tea.

 

He, Haejin, and Kangin were sitting at the breakfast table, enjoying their first meal of the day together. Leeteuk had made a western style breakfast, Haejin’s favorite, and he and Kangin were watching him in astonishment as he devoured it.

 

“I was just thinking of keeping it simple, dinner and maybe coffee or something after,” Haejin shrugged taking another bite.

 

Leeteuk looked at Kangin and then let out a nervous laugh.

 

Or something? You mean you haven’t planned everything out yet?” he asked shaking his head.

 

“Well no, not down to the last detail, but I mean that’s kind of how things always go when Daerim and I hang out. We just play it by ear and we always have fun,” he said leaning back in his chair. “What’s wrong with that?”

 

“It’s just that it’s different now Jin-ah, you're not just hanging out as friends. This is a proper date. It has to be a bit more organized than that. Where are you taking her out for dinner?” asked Leeteuk.

 

Again Haejin shrugged, though he was feeling incredibly self-conscious now. “I don’t know yet. She loves hanging out around E-Dae so I thought we’d just walk around until we found something good—

 

“Oh my G-d,” said Leeteuk palming his face.

 

“What?!” asked Haejin, not seeing the problem.

 

“Son, you're going about this all the wrong way,” said Kangin shaking his head.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well maybe your Teukkie Appa and I are missing the point here. Is your main goal just to have things continue going along the way they have been with Daerim? With the two of you just being friends?”

 

“Well, no…at some point, maybe even tonight, I was planning to ask her to be my girlfriend,” he mumbled.

 

“Well then you can’t do that sitting across from her in a kimbap restaurant,” chuckled Kangin.

 

Haejin blushed as Leeteuk rubbed his shoulder soothingly.

 

“What your Appa means is what I just told you Haejin-ah. If you want to move beyond being just friends with Daerim, you have to change what you do together just a little. Taking her around Ewha University is fine, but you need to plan things out a little more before you knock on her front door this evening,” Leeteuk said.

 

“But Daerim isn’t like most girls. She’s never said that she likes all of that romantic stuff,” protested Haejin.

 

“Whether or not she says it isn’t the point Jin-ah. These things mean a lot to girls and they remember all the details,” said Kangin.

 

“That’s true, they always remember,” agreed Leeteuk with a nod.

 

“Well, what did you and appa do on your first date?” Haejin asked Leeteuk as he rested his chin on one his hands.

 

Leeteuk smirked and Haejin could see Kangin leaning back in his chair as he let out a long exhale, staring thoughtfully at the ceiling.

 

“Do you not remember?” chuckled Haejin with a cocked eyebrow as he looked over at him.

 

“Are you kidding? Of course I remember!” said Kangin shaking his head. “I took your Teukkie appa out for a nice evening. We went to a restaurant with silverware, table cloths, and waiters. Then we went to what became our spot along the Hangang.”

 

“And then what?” asked Haejin.

 

“We talked…” smirked Kangin drinking the last of his coffee.

 

“Talked? That’s it? Date over?” asked Haejin with a laugh.

 

“Well no, there were other things—

 

“—that at sixteen you don’t need to be concerned with,” cut in Leeteuk, shooting a glare over at Kangin and then focusing back on Haejin. “But you have to remember that your Appa and I were a little bit older than you and Daerim as well Jin-ah, so that…changed things. Not to mention the multitude of other differences there are that you’ll have to consider.”

 

“Such as?” Fished Haejin.

 

“Such as your Appa didn’t have to come to my family’s home and pick me up because we all lived together. You have to make sure that you look presentable enough so that Siwon doesn’t regret saying yes,” chuckled Leeteuk.

 

“So none of your ripped jeans or baseball caps,” clarified Kangin.

 

“What were you planning to wear anyway?” asked Leeteuk with narrowed eyes.

 

“I hadn’t thought about it yet,” said Haejin rubbing the back of his neck.

 

“Why don’t I take you shopping in a bit? We can look for something at the department store,” suggested Leeteuk.

 

“Appa,” sighed Haejin. “Kyu and Siwon samchon know me and they know how I dress. What difference does it make now?”

 

“Yah! Have you not been listening to anything we’ve said?” asked Kangin playfully smacking Haejin’s arm. “You are taking Daerim out on a date, not for burgers after school. You are going to pick her like a proper gentleman at her house and when you do, you have to look the part.”

 

“Right, and not just look, but be a gentlemen. I know that you were always really protective over Daerim when you were younger, and I loved that so much about you. But now things are a little more different since Daerim is a young woman,” said Leeteuk.

 

“Exactly. You need to pull out her chair and open doors for her. You also have to make sure that when you walk along the street you're on the side closest to the traffic. And offer to carry her bag. If she’s wearing heels, make sure that you don’t walk too fast for her, and offer her your arm or hand to help her—

 

“Aish! Are you guys trying to make me nervous?” groaned Haejin as he rubbed his hands down his face.

 

“No Jin-ah, but we just want to you go about this the right way,” said Leeteuk pulling away one of his hands.

 

“How do you even know all of this anyway? Have either of you ever dated a woman? Maybe things have changed since you were young,” said Haejin.

 

“Well your Teukkie appa was married to one so I’d say he’s an expert,” smiled Kangin which received a kick from Leeteuk under the table.

 

“What?” asked Haejin shaking his head.

 

Leeteuk sighed, “It was for an old television show I did one time. Not the point. Look, finish your breakfast and go get dressed, we have a lot more to talk about before your date tonight.”

 

Haejin nodded and then went back to inhaling his food. 

 

 

                                                            ~**~

 

“Appa what do you think about this one—no, no, this one? Or that one over there?” asked Daerim as she dragged Kyuhyun around in the store.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. It was the fifth store that they had come to and Daerim’s indecisiveness was beginning to wear him down.

 

“It’s…nice aegi-yah, really,” he said yawning.

 

“Appa! You're not even paying attention,” she whined softly as she wiggled his arm. “You know how important this is to me.”

 

“Yes, sweetheart, I know. But look, you have three options to choose from: dress, skirt, or pants. It’s really not that hard and yet, here were are three hours later still with nothing,” he said with a sigh.

 

“I just don’t know what he’d like,” said Daerim softly.

 

“Well there’s the problem. Wear what you’d like aegi-yah, not what you think he wants to see you in. He’s a boy. Believe me when I say he doesn’t care. As long as you're there and smiling pretty, he’s probably not going to even remember.”

 

“Geez, thanks Appa,” she sighed.

 

“You know what I mean,” Kyuhyun laughed. “And you also know that I think you’d look beautiful in anything that you wear. So pick whatever it is that you like the best.”

 

Daerim sighed, wishing that her Kyu appa would be more hopeful, when she looked across the store and saw the perfect outfit dressed on a mannequin.

 

“Oh, Appa look!” smiled Daerim as she pointed to the outfit.

 

Kyuhyun squinted to try and search for what it was that she was looking at. But before he had time to let his eyes adjust, Daerim had already pulled him by his hand over to that side of the store.

 

Once they reached it, Kyuhyun saw the admiration on her face as she began feeling the fabric and admiring the details.

 

Everything about the outfit was incredibly simple, but Kyuhyun instantly knew that was why Daerim was drawn to it. He loved that her style was simple and classic, much like his and Siwon’s and he prayed that hopefully the search would be over.

 

“Kyu appa, what do think—she started as she reached up to feel the collar.

 

“I think you should get it.”

 

“But I haven’t even tried it on yet,” she said shaking her head.

 

“It looks like it’ll fit you,” he shrugged.

 

“Appa,” she scoffed. “Why are you in such a hurry?”

 

“We’ve been here for hours aegi-yah,” Kyuhyun whined. “You know how I feel about shopping, and ordinarily your Wonnie appa would have been the one to take you out, but he’s barely keeping it together over this entire thing as it is.”

 

“Fine,” sighed Daerim checking the size of the skirt and then the top.

 

After the cashier handed Kyuhyun his card back, she handed Daerim the bag with a smile.

 

“Thank you again Appa,” said Daerim linking arms with him as they walked out of the store.

 

“You're welcome aegi-yah,” he said as they began walking towards their car. “Now let’s go prepare ourselves for the ‘Two Hee.’”

 

 

 

                                                            ~**~

 

“No.”

 

“Just try it.”

 

“No.”

 

“If you see yourself in it, you might feel differently.”

 

Haejin shook his head slowly while staring into Leeteuk’s eyes.

 

Leeteuk simply sighed and put the shirt back on the rack.

 

“Oh, how I miss the days of you being too young to make these decisions for yourself,” he said as they continued to walk along the floor of the store.

 

“Appa, you know it’s hard for us to agree, our styles are too different. Isn’t that why you and Appa usually let me go shopping by myself?”

 

“Ordinarily yes, but I’m too afraid you’ll go off and buy something—

 

Seeing a jacket that had the words I don’t do drugs on the back instantly caught Haejin’s eyes.

 

“Like that…” sighed Leeteuk as watched Haejin walk directly towards the jacket in question.

 

It was a long dark green trench coat that had those words written in large white block letters across the entire length of the back.

 

“Now this is perfect,” he chuckled picking it up.

 

“And crass. Put it back,” said Leeteuk shaking his head as he began to walk away.

 

“Aw, Appa, come on, it’s funny. And I think Siwon samchon would appreciate it, don’t you think?” he asked slipping it off the hanger and trying it on.

 

“Haejin if you want his and my permission to take Daerim out again, you’ll put that down and try something like this,” said Leeteuk grabbing a dark navy sweater.

 

“But it’s so boring. It looks like my middle school uniform,” frowned Haejin shaking his head.

 

“It’s simple and clean. Navy compliments your skin tone and if you comb your hair off to the side, it’ll look really nice,” said Leeteuk brushing Haejin’s hair off of his forehead.

 

“Appa!” said Haejin backing away so he could fix his bangs again. “Come on, can’t I at least get something with a better color, something that doesn’t make me look like I’m a fifty year old father.”

 

Leeteuk pursed his lips in annoyance as Haejin finally relented and shrugged the jacket off.

 

“What about this?” he asked nodding ahead of them.

 

Haejin turned and looked, “The purple sweater?”

 

“Yes,” said Leeteuk as they walked over. “It’s colorful enough to suit your tastes and classic enough to suit mine.”
 

Haejin shrugged and then nodded. He was growing a little frustrated with his and Leeteuk’s clashing fashion tastes so he figured he might as well give in to something he could tolerate.

 

“It’s okay, I guess.”

 

“Really?” asked Leeteuk, his eye brows shooting up.

 

“Yeah, let’s take it,” said Haejin grabbing it off the rack and then heading in the direction of the register.

 

“Try it on first,” Leeteuk deadpanned.

 

Haejin let out a groan before making a beeline to the dressing rooms.

 

                                                            ~**~

“Why don’t you put it up?” suggested Kyuhyun once Gunhee had finished blow drying Daerim’s fluffy dark mane.

 

“Because it makes me look really old,” she frowned.

 

“But it lets us see your pretty face,” he said her cheek.

 

“He knows what my face looks like Appa, I just want to look normal…

 

“Sweetie, Gunhee doesn’t do normal,” chuckled Heechul as Gunhee ran a serum along the ends of her hair.

 

“Please, I shudder at the thought of that word. No, normal shouldn’t even be on our minds right now Daerim-ah. I’m thinking…glamorous…dazzling…enchanting! We should be thinking outside the box,” said Gunhee as he fluffed out her hair.

 

“She’s fourteen,” said Kyuhyun frowning. “Everything needs to stay in the box.”

 

“But she’s about to become a high school woman Kyu. Daerim-ah, don’t you want Gunhee to turn you into a little seductress?” asked Heechul now running his hands through her hair as Gunhee went through his products.

 

“No, she doesn’t!” Siwon called out firmly from the living room. “What are you all doing in there to my child?! Kyu?!”

 

“Calm down Masi! We haven’t changed your little angel…yet” he mumbled the last part.

 

Daerim’s smile met Heechul’s in the mirror.

 

“Hyung, really. What are you planning to do?” asked Kyuhyun frowning as he met Heechul’s eyes in the mirror

 

“Kyu, if we told you, that would ruin half the fun, right?” Smiled Heechul resting a hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

 

“No, it would make my heart beat at a normal pace,” said Kyuhyun looking around Heechul to watch all of the different products and tools Gunhee was pulling out.

 

“Well then, maybe it’s best if you wait outside until we’re done?” suggested Gunhee.

 

“That’s a perfect idea!” beamed Heechul.

 

“What—no!” said Kyuhyun shaking his head.

 

“Kyu appa, I kind of want it to be a surprise,” said Daerim looking at him through the mirror.

 

Kyuhyun scoffed.

 

“I won’t let them dye my hair purple if that’s what you're worried about,” she chuckled.

 

“Or cut it!” chimed in Kyuhyun.

 

“Yes, Kyu, I know, I know,” sighed Heechul putting his hands on Kyuhyun’s shoulder as he walked forwards.

 

“Hyung, please just don’t do anything too drastic, okay?” begged Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyu, this is me, Kim Heechul. I know how to do classy and elegant, all right? So don’t worry, okay?” said Heechul cupping his cheeks.

 

Kyuhyun could feel himself slowly regretting this decision as he was unceremoniously being kicked out of his bathroom.

 

“See you in an hour!” Heechul chirped before closing the door and locking it, leaving Kyuhyun with no choice but to sit and wait.