The Crush

DaeJin One Shots

 

It was a Tuesday night and Kyuhyun and Siwon were just sitting down to have dinner with their two children. Their rectangular table was filled with various side dishes, rice, and a steaming bowl of soup in front of each of them. 

 

As the three males at the table wasted no time in eating, Daerim was reluctant to start.

 

“So, how was school today aegi-yah?” asked Kyuhyun glancing at her beside him once he took notice to how quiet she was.

 

Daerim wasn’t paying attention. She was stirring her spoon in wide circles around her soup bowl, a small smile on her lips as she stared at nothing in particular.

 

Kyuhyun glanced across from him at Siwon and then Hyunjin who had both stopped eating, before looking back at Daerim.

 

“Daerim-ah, are you okay?” asked Kyuhyun reaching out to her back.

 

“Hmm? What?” she asked suddenly sitting up straight and looking into their three questioning faces.

 

Hyunjin laughed at her shocked expression as he brought a heaping spoonful of rice to his mouth.

 

“Your Kyu appa just asked you a question,” said Siwon, joining in on Hyunjin’s laughter. “What were you thinking about?”

 

“Nothing,” she said shaking her head dismissively as she took a careful sip of the spicy broth in front of her.

 

“Well it has to be something,” Kyuhyun smirked. “You haven’t smiled like this all week. Are things finally getting a little better with your assignments?”

 

“Yes, everything’s fine,” said Daerim taking another sip from her spoon.

 

“Well that’s a relief, that last test had me terrified. It’s so unlike you to get such a low score,” said Siwon shaking his head at the memory.

 

“Well today I found out that I received 100s on the makeup assignments I turned in earlier this week,” said Daerim with a bright smile.

 

“That’s appa’s girl, good job. I’m proud of you,” said Siwon with a nod as he took a sip from his glass of water.

 

“That’s not all that happened today,” said Hyunjin with a smile as he stared down into his bowl.

 

Daerim frowned with distaste as she glared at Hyunjin.

 

“What do you mean Jinnie-ah?” asked Kyuhyun noticing Daerim’s swift reaction.

 

“Today when Ho Joon and I were playing in the court yard, I saw Daerim and Haejin—

 

Daerim’s eyes grew with fear as she realized what Hyunjin was talking about.

 

“So Kyu appa, now that I’ve raised my grade are you still planning to come speak to my teacher next week?” interrupted Daerim.

 

“Yah!” yelled Hyunjin, to which Daerim ignored as she turned to look at Kyuhyun, waiting for his answer.

 

“Aegi-yah, your brother was right in the middle of a story,” said Kyuhyun with an amused chuckle at her blatant rudeness. “But to answer your question, yes. On Monday.”

 

“What were you saying Jin-ah?” asked Siwon trying to appease Hyunjin’s frustration.

 

“Well, we saw Daerim standing in the courtyard with Haejin hyung and—

 

“Wonnie appa, when does your flight next week for Beijing leave again?”

 

“Appa!” Hyunjin whined looking towards Kyuhyun for sympathy.

 

“Daerim honestly, you're being really rude to your brother, stop it,” frowned Kyuhyun.

 

Daerim exhaled sharply as she stared across the table at Hyunjin once again.

 

He smiled back at her when he realized the power that he currently held.

 

“She and Hyung were over near the garden—

 

“Yah! Shut up!” yelled Daerim slamming down her spoon.

 

“Daerim!” Kyuhyun and Siwon both scolded, fed up with her outbursts.

 

“He’s lying!” she said incredulously as she looked at both of their faces.

 

“About what?!” asked Siwon shaking his head. “He hasn’t even said anything yet.”

 

“Seriously, what’s the matter with you?” asked Kyuhyun. “What ever he saw you doing couldn’t be that bad, could it?”

 

“And I’m not lying, I saw the two of you holding hands—“ Hyunjin said defensively.

 

“Holding hands?” asked Siwon. “Why were you holding hands?”

 

“No! We weren’t—we were just—ugh!” sighed Daerim in frustration as she rested her elbows on the table and leaned her head in her hands.

 

“You were too! It was obvious! And not just cupping hands, but your fingers were—

 

“Okay, Jinnie-ah, that’s enough,” said Kyuhyun nodding.

 

“But appa! I swear I’m not lying—

 

“We got it son, it’s just that you're making your noona uncomfortable,” said Siwon glancing at Daerim who’s eyes were filled with both rage and embarrassment.

 

Hyunjin scowled at Daerim.

 

“How come she’s the one holding hands with a boy and I get in trouble?” he muttered.

 

“Okay they heard you! The whole city heard you! Now can you shut up?!” Daerim exploded again as she stood up from the table.

 

“Daerim!” said Siwon called as he saw her run out of the dining room and down the hall towards the bathroom.

 

Both Siwon and Kyuhyun turned to look at Hyunjin with disapproving looks.

 

“What? I just thought you’d want to know,” shrugged Hyunjin innocently. “I didn’t know it’d make her this mad.”

 

Kyuhyun rubbed his face as he sighed in frustration before looking at Siwon.

 

“And so it starts,” he said rising.

 

“What’ s that?” asked Siwon frowning in confusion.

 

“Puberty,” said Kyuhyun dryly.

 

 Walking slowly down the hallway, Kyuhyun prepared himself for the storm that was already brewing inside the small room.

 

Stopping in front of the door, he raised his fist, prepared to knock, but then he stopped. For a moment he considered giving her a few minutes to just let her anger subside, but then he realized it was better to just get it over and done with as soon as possible.

 

 “Daerim-ah,” he called, tapping on the bathroom door.

 

The sound of water rushing made him think she didn’t hear him so he called out again.

 

“Sweetheart, come on, open the door please,” said Kyuhyun gently.

 

Daerim opened the door suddenly, startling Kyuhyun slightly as he was greeted with the image of tear stained cheeks and red eyes.

 

“Baby why are you crying?” asked Kyuhyun stepping into the bathroom.

 

Daerim’s bottom lip trembled as she watched Kyuhyun reach for a small hand towel and wet it, before wiping it across her cheeks to wash away the tears.

 

As he cleaned her face she looked down, clearly embarrassed.

 

“Come on aegi-yah, you’ve been doing this a lot lately. You used to tell me literally every thought on your mind and now you’ve been keeping things inside,” said Kyuhyun turning off the tap and putting down the cloth.

 

Still Daerim was quiet.

 

“Is it because you thought we’d be mad at you?” tried Kyuhyun.

 

After a few moments he saw a small nod.

 

“Why would you think that?”

 

“Because Wonnie appa doesn’t like Haejin,” she mumbled.

 

“He’s just teasing aegi-yah, it’s all in good fun. You should know that by now,” said Kyuhyun with a kind smile as he brushed her hair away from her face with his fingers.

 

“I thought he’d be mad at me for liking him back— started Daerim but then she stopped, her eyes meeting Kyuhyun’s big ones.

 

“You like him aegi-yah? As in, more than just a friend?” he asked gently.

 

He saw Daerim’s cheeks flush giving him all the answer that he needed.

 

“There’s no reason to be embarrassed about it. I pretty much figured this was going to happen. I’m honestly surprised it took this long for you to admit it,” chuckled Kyuhyun.

 

“Appa! Whined Daerim, “That’s why I didn’t want to tell you. Please don’t tease me about it.”

 

“I’m not, I’m happy for you, really,” said Kyuhyun pulling her into a hug.

 

“Do you like Haejin?” she asked, her voice muffled by his shirt.

 

“What kind of question is that? Of course I do,” laughed Kyuhyun cupping her cheek as he pulled her face away from him. “I’ve known him longer than I’ve known you.”

 

“I mean…more than just because he’s Teukkie and Kanginnie samchon’s son. If he was…my boyfriend, would you still like him?” Daerim asked softly as she looked into his eyes.

 

“What’s important is if you like him aegi-yah. As long as he treats you well, and doesn’t hurt you, then of course, I don’t mind that it’s him. I think he’s a good match for you,” said Kyuhyun with a nod.

 

Daerim smiled.

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course. You two are basically best friends anyway. And that’s how it started between me and your Wonnie appa. We had a really close friendship before we fell in love.”

 

“But…you used to tell me that  you and Wonnie appa fell in love the first time you met. How long were you just friends then before you “loved” each other.”

 

“Uh…length isn’t exactly important aegi-yah,” said Kyuhyun clearing his throat. “What I’m trying to say is that friendship should be the basis of any relationship. And for you that’s already the case, so I know that you and Haejin should have no problems getting along.”

 

Daerim nodded in understanding.

 

“So…what was it like?” asked Kyuhyun.

 

“What?” asked Daerim shaking her head in confusion.

 

Kyuhyun grasped Daerim’s hand in his and locked fingers.

 

“Oh,” blushed Daerim with a small giggle. “It was nice.”

 

Just nice?” asked Kyuhyun with a smile.

 

“Okay…it was amazing!” she gushed hiding her face in her hands. “I never realized how fun it could be just walking along, him holding my hand, smiling at me after I smiled at him. He’s so handsome Kyu appa! Nara and all of my school friends always tease us when he comes to pick me up from school. But I don’t care. I’d take all the teasing in the world for even just one of his smiles.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed and he pulled her in for another hug.

 

“Omo, my sweet little girl…it looks like he’s stolen your heart already,” he smiled into her hair.

 

“Was it like that when you and Wonnie appa first held hands?” asked Daerim tilting her head back to look up at him with a smile.

 

Kyuhyun tried not to laugh as he thought about all he and Siwon had experienced over the years. He tried to think back to those first days where everything was new to him and what those first touches had felt like. A smile crept over his face when he could finally recall the spark that those hands had lit within him. And he realized that now it was gonna be Daerim’s turn to experience all of those feelings.

 

He swallowed hard as he looked back down at her smiling face. Even though a part of him wished Daerim could stay young forever he knew she was inevitably growing up.

 

“Yes. Exactly like that,” he sighed to which Daerim smiled at.

 

“Are you feeling better now aegi-yah?” he asked releasing her.

 

Daerim nodded as she rubbed at her eyes again.

 

“Good,” said Kyuhyun kissing her forehead before turning towards the door. “Let’s go finish dinner. And please, promise me you’ll at least try to be nicer to your brother.”

 

“Kyu appa—wait,” said Daerim pulling on his waist.

 

“What is it?” He asked turning to look at her again.

 

“Umm…it’s just that….when I was with Oppa earlier he asked me to…” started Daerim wringing her hands nervously.

 

“Asked you to what?” asked Kyuhyun narrowing his eyes slightly.

 

“Hang out…with him,” said Daerim softly.

 

“And is this supposed to be different from all the other times you two have hung out together?” asked Kyuhyun shaking his head.

 

“Well, yeah,” said Daerim.

 

“So Nara or any of your other friends won’t be with you?”

 

“No…just us.”

 

“Oh, I see. Well this isn’t exactly just hanging out then, is it aegi-yah? It’s a date, right?” asked Kyuhyun leaning against the sink.

 

Daerim nodded weakly.

 

“Can I go?”

 

“No,” said Kyuhyun flatly.

 

Daerim’s body deflated.

 

“I’m just kidding. Yes, of course you can go,” he said putting his hands on her shoulders and wiggling them.

 

“Appa!” she laughed clutching her heart.

 

“It’s your first date aegi-yah, how could I say no? If you want, I’ll even take you shopping before hand so you can pick out something new to wear and we’ll ask Gunhee to do your hair anyway you like,” said Kyuhyun putting his arm around her shoulder.

 

“Thank you Kyu appa,” she said hugging him once again.

 

“But now the fun part comes,” he said opening the door.

 

“What part is that?” asked Daerim as he stepped out ahead of her.

 

“Telling your Wonnie appa about this date,” said Kyuhyun with a smirk as he left Daerim standing dumbstruck in the bathroom.