I: 1

Melodies of Life

"What?! You want me to actually run in the rain and get soaked?! Never!" I shout in agitation as I end a phone call from the most annoying guy I've ever known, my brother. Yeah, he always get into my nerves with his endless teasing, but what can I do? He's my brother and I love him to death. I'll do anything for him. Like what I'm about to do now. I peek at the sky, still raining. Hard. I check my watch, past 3. Late. I let out a sigh of exasperation and was about to run and meet the countless angry raindrops when a voice halts me.

"Excuse me..."

I turn to my right and see a pair of hesitant yet beautiful eyes.

"Yes?" I let out a small smile.

"Here." He hands me a black umbrella.

Instead of taking it, I just stared at him with questioning eyes.

"Sorry, I overheard." He laughs good-naturedly while scratching the back of his head.

"Oh, that's nothing. Guess, I was too loud, huh?" I smile sheepishly at him.

He smiles back at me. Cutely.

"Thanks. I'll be going then." I open the umbrella and start to walk away.

But after a few steps, my feet automatically stops. I look back and steal a glimpse of the gentleman whom I was talking to a while ago. To my dismay, he wasn't there in the shed anymore. My eyes search for him until I found a figure from afar hastily making its way through the heavy rain. I immediately chase it, believing it is him. As I get closer, I squint and see that it is really him. His arms were raised over his head, holding of what seems to me, a drum, and using it as a shield from the rain, I instantly run towards him and almost bumped into him at the process. He turns to face me with surprised eyes. Soon, a hint of delight paints his face as I tiptoe and try to put the umbrella in my hand over his head. He automatically bends over and lowers his head, meeting my face inside the shade of the umbrella. For a moment, I felt my heart do a couple of somersaults as my eyes got trapped in his lovely gaze. A few seconds more, and I feel the urge to take a step back. I was feeling so giddy that I can't take it anymore. With my heart beating incredibly fast and my cheeks burning red, I manage to speak.

"Here. You hold this." I hand him the umbrella. "And I'll carry that." I was about to take the drums that he was holding but he instantly holds it back like a kid scared of losing his favorite toy.

"I'll hold them both." He smiles at me. Cutely again.

We start to walk in silence, our arms slightly grazing with each other as we squeeze inside the single-sized umbrella.

"So you play?" I try to break the silence and building awkwardness between us.

He nods with yet another cute smile. Darn, his cuteness is killing me.

"Since when? Who taught you?" I continue to ask.

"I was ten when I learned. My father." He smiles cutely once again.

We continue to talk casually and I am starting to feel more comfortable when I notice that he keeps looking at his cellphone.

"Something wrong?"

He shakes his head. "A friend. He's calling and sending me a lot of messages." He returns his cellphone inside his pocket. "Where did we stop? Ah! That, so you're a med student? What year?"

"Shouldn't you answer first? What if it's important?"

"It isn't. He's just angry because I'm late for our gig at 'The Opera'."

"The Opera?!" I almost shouted in surprise which startled him.

"Yeah. We're about to perform there in an hour." He explains.

"Really?! I'm headed there, too!" An excitement stirs up inside my chest. Is this fate?

His eyes glisten with what I said then he mumbles something barely audible before chuckling to himself.

I only heard a single word out of it so I ask to clear things out. "Together? What do you mean?"

He suddenly stops chuckling then bites his lower lip. It was like I caught him off-guard with just a simple question. "Uhmm..." He hesitates for a while but still continues. "That's nothing. I was just talking to myself. Let's hurry to the bus stop. I don't want to keep my friend waiting anymore." He finishes.

"Okay." I agree, though I still want to bug him about what he really meant with 'together'.

I'm thinking that what he said was, "Must be the reason why we're together." And if that's the case, then he must like me the way I'm liking him right now. Or if not, at least he doesn't dislike me. But that's just as good as true as it sounds until he says it himself.

"Quit dreaming, Jieun." I whisper to myself before boarding the bus.