II: 2

Melodies of Life

"Come on. Someone just please call." I pray in vain as I wait for the screen of my cellphone to light up. Luckily, someone does. I quickly answer it happily. "Hello! Driver for hire, Kang Miyoung."

"Jacques, Hongdae." The raspy voice from the other line screams drunk that I can virtually smell the reek of liquor from his breath.

"Okay, sir. I'll be there in ten minutes. Please wait for me." I was about to hang up but he says something melodically like he was singing.

"Espresso, double double shot~ Hmmm~ Hmmm~ Everybody coffee shop~" He chuckles before the line goes dead.

What the? He even wants me to get him a cup of coffee? What a thick-skinned guy! But I decided to let it pass since he's drunk, besides I'll earn money from him. Though I didn't want to, I hatefully fish the last piece of cash from my pocket and head for the nearest coffee shop.

My cellphone suddenly rings as I walk out of the coffee shop.

"It's already past ten, Ming! Go sleep now! You have school tomorrow!" I answer with a shout.

I can hear his playful laughter from the other line. "I was about to, noona. Just called to say goodnight."

I smile at my brother's thoughtfulness before saying good night too. And just like that, my weary self was rejuvenated.
----


"Wow! Is that for me, sweetie? Thanks." This very drunk dude snatches the cup from my hand as I approach him.

"Welcome, sir. Can I have your address and car key?"

He hands me his car key after he takes a long sip from the cup. "Just type H-O-M-E and this baby will tell you the directions." He pats the front of his car proudly as if boasting before trudging to the passenger's seat.

He then bumps his head halfway upon entering the car. He laughs while saying, "Everything is in twos, even you." He points at me then laughs again. "Why is that?"

"That's because you're drunk, idiot." I mumble before taking the driver's seat.

He reclines his seat with his eyes closed, and doesn't even bother to put his seatbelt on. I just shrug my shoulder as I drive off to the highway. During the entire drive all I hear was his humming. Yeah, he was sleep-humming not sleep-talking. What's funny is he was like a broken radio switching from one station to another. I don't know why but I didn't find it as annoying like his call earlier. His voice sounds, well... Good. Like he was really some kind of a singer. Hard to believe, but I enjoyed listening to him, to the point that my head was even moving along to his melody.
----


"We're here sir." I park his car down the garage of his grand house. When he doesn't reply, I look at him at my side and he wast fast asleep. I shake him but he doesn't budge. "Now, how do I get my pay?" I let out a sigh of exasperation and decide to search the pockets of his pants.

But before I could reach it, he turns sideways. I notice an envelope drop from his coat, and as I pick it up my eyes widen at the silvery green paper bills inside. Thick hundred dollars piled on top of each other. I battle with temptation as my fingertips brush at its ends. At that moment, all I can think of was Ming's tuition.

"I'm sorry. To you, this might just mean another fun night at a bar. But for me, my brother's future depends on this." I keep the envelope. "But, I'll return this as soon as I can. I promise." I swear in a hush in front of his sleeping form before getting out of the car.

"Hired driver." I show the guard my ID.

I hand him the car key and exit past the gate, guilt eating me up with every step.