Chapter 6

Ever After

Jiwon had witnessed everything that went on between Minho and Shinhye in that class and her heart broke.

She had noticed the sadness in Shinhye that whole week but decided to ignore it because she was afraid to ask. She already knew the truth but she hadn’t been ready to give up on him. She was being selfish even when Minho hadn’t encouraged her in any way and she had also sensed something between them. When she finally over heard their conversation on that fateful Friday, Jiwon’s heart shattered.

She couldn’t believe how selfish she was, standing in between her unnie and hurting her so much and yet Shinhye was denying herself only because she didn’t want to hurt her feelings. When Shinhye mentioned that she couldn’t be with him because she wanted to protect her heart, Jiwon felt humbled. Her sister was indeed an angel, always interested in others happiness before hers.

When she saw her running from the room with teary eyes, Jiwon hid herself so Shinhye wouldn’t notice that she was there. Jiwon finally realized that it was now time to give up on Minho and help her stupid but wonderful sister. She had momentarily been selfish but it was time to go back to being a caring sister. She had caused her sister so much pain and the only way she could repay that date is if she helped them end up together.

Jiwon asked Yoonhye to meet and she disclosed everything to her, Yoonhye confirmed that she was already aware of what was happening between Shinhye and Minho.

Yoonhye: I found out at the party. Remember that time when we danced with the guy that chose our shoe, well she ended with Minho and the two kissed. After that I talked to Shinhye but she claimed it was mistake and later admitted she didn’t want to hurt your feelings.

Jiwon: Pabo, making others look bad.

Yoonhye: I told her the same thing but she was determined. It must have been so hard on her because she even developed a fever from all the crying she did the next morning.

Jiwon felt guilt finding out that her sister faced too much pain to the point of getting herself sick.

Jiwon: We need to make her accept him.

Yoonhye: How? You know that she is into that pact thing we made of not dating each other’s crush or boyfriends. It won’t be easy. She needs to believe that you won’t be hurt.

Jiwon also hadn’t figured out how yet but she was determined to help them.

Minho was thinking about what Shinhye had said. She didn’t want to hurt her sister, she didn’t want to be selfish and everything became clear. It only meant that Jiwon had informed her of her feelings towards him and because she loved her sister, she couldn’t take something that her sister desired.

He was touched by her love for her sister she was indeed a good and beautiful individual inside and outside. This is one of the things he likes about her but now this very attribute was standing in their way. He decided to talk to Jiwon, make his stand clear so she could release Shinhye. It was the only solution he could come up with. Everything depended on Jiwon.

Shinhye spent the next few days avoiding Minho and he in return accepted her avoidance because he knew that in order for things to change he had to beg for Jiwon’s help something he hadn’t succeeded in doing yet.

Both Jiwon and Yoonhye watched their sister’s pained face but they hadn’t devised a solution yet. She pretended to be fine when she was with them but they all knew it was a show. Jiwon was walking out of her class when Minho approached her and asked for a word. She accepted his request and he led her back in the class so they could talk.

Minho: I need to talk about something with you

Jiwon: Shinhye?

He was shocked by her directness but also was glad they would go straight to the point.

Minho: Yes, about Shinhye. I am interested in starting a relationship with her but…..

Jiwon: She will not accept because of me

She finished his sentence and he was surprised again

Minho: Yes. She has this idea that she will be hurting your feelings if she accepts mine.

Jiwon: I know and it is my entire fault. I mentioned my interest in you to them before and because of this promise amongst us girls she won’t accept. Shinhye would never hurt anyone intentionally it is just not in her nature. I actually asked her once if she was interested in you but she denied and I guess I just wanted to believe that because I suspected it from the start but ignored it. I want to help somehow but I don’t know how.

Minho was surprised by Jiwon’s words, she really loved her sister and he could see that she felt bad for her.

Minho: Talk to her, explain everything to her. Make her understand that it is ok for us to like each other.

Jiwon: I don’t think she will believe me

Minho: We have to try at least.

Jiwon agreed to talk to her that night and they both hoped it would work.

Later that night after dinner with their parents Jiwon talked to Shinhye. Shinhye wanted to avoid talking to Jiwon because she suspected it would be about him and she didn’t want talking about him with her. Jiwon insisted and she had no choice but to agree.

Jiwon: about Minho, we need to talk.

Shinhye: what about him?

Jiwon: I know that you like him and don’t even trying denying it, ok?

Shinhye just kept quiet not saying anything.

Jiwon: I also know that he also likes you but you are rejecting him because of me. Unnie you are really mean you know?

Shinhye was getting confused

Jiwon: Do I seem that selfish that you had to sacrifice him for me to the point of hurting yourself? Did you ever think about how painful it would be for me if ever you got hurt because of me? It’s true that I was interested but we both know he wasn’t interested in me. Did you think that if you rejected him then he would come running to me? We can’t force feelings nor can we force ourselves not to feel.

Shinhye was shocked by all Jiwon said but at that time she hadn’t think about all that.

Shinhye: Byani Jiwon, I didn’t know it would be this hard to hide my pain. If you didn’t notice it then it was fine with me.

Jiwon: There you go again. Why should you be the one to suffer, you need to start thinking about yourself too. Just like you want us to be happy we also want the best for you. Please stop hurting him and yourself and accept his feelings already.

Jiwon noticed she was silent thinking about something

Jiwon: What is it?

Shinhye: I don’t think he still wants me. I have been ignoring and avoiding him. Before he would insist but he stopped. It’s too late now.

She wished she could change things but it was too late now. He must have gotten tired of waiting.

Jiwon: He is interested. He was only giving you time to sort everything out. He believes that when you are ready you would go to him.

Shinhye: How do you know this?

Jiwon: I spoke to him today. He wanted to ask my blessing for you guys but I had already decided even before he asked. I overheard your conversation with him when you rejected him using me as an excuse.

Shinhye was happy to know he hadn’t given up on her yet. He had kept his word and even though she hadn’t accepted his plea to work it out together, he had found a way through her sister. A smile started forming on her face and Jiwon was glad she was responsible for it.

Jiwon bid her goodnight and left her room. She felt like a heavy weight had been lifted and went to Yoonhye’s bedroom. The girls were happy that the dark cloud had finally cleared and all was back to normal. Jiwon called the anxious Minho and gave him the update.

Shinhye was happy after a while of feeling incurable pain in her heart. The only cure was him and the moment Jiwon gave her blessing the pain just melted away. For the first time in weeks Shinhye was capable of a peaceful sleep filled with sweet dreams unlike the tears she had been accustomed to lately. The future was looked promising again.

The girls had their lunch together and they were happy to see her happy old self back, she was beaming with happiness. She hadn’t met him yet but she couldn’t wait for Friday to come when she would be able to see him. It was going to be a long wait approximately 82hours before she could see him.

She was thinking about all sorts of things especially how she was going to approach him. Just what was she supposed to say, ‘hi am sorry I rejected you last time but now I have decided to accept your request,’ just who does that?

Shinhye: No, that won’t work. Should I just go back to sitting next to him? If I do that he will know that I am no longer avoiding him, right? Yes I will just do that and let him get the hint he has to. Jiwon said he is still interested, that should be enough for him to make his move to which I will gladly accept.

I have also updated my other ff love unexpected, check it out and thanks for the continued support.