Chapter 1;

Until You Take Me

C h a p t e r  1 ;


 

Yelling was heard throughout out the entire house, maybe even half the village. Baekhyun's parents were fighting again. Well, his father and step-mother. 

Baekhyun lost his mother to a vampire attack a year ago. His father was the most devastated but didn't show any emotions of it. Six months after her burial, he remarried with some just-as-lonely spinster he'd been talking to for weeks at the old bar house. Baekhyun never liked her, no matter how hard he tried to get to know her- to be nice to her- she'd just be this drunken, foil women who, in Baekhyun's eyes, yearnd for an argument. After a while, he'd grown sick of trying. 

The sound of crashing bottles echoed within the brick walls. Baekhyun tried his best to block it out but, with such a small house, it's almost impossible. 

What felt like hours later, the noise of anger and hatred ceased and were replaced with grunts and moans.

Disgusting. Baekhyun thought. It never failed to happen. They'd get drunk, argue for hours, get even more drunk and have pointless 'I'm sorry for whatever the hell we were fighting about' . 

Baekhyun made his way from the corner in his small room to the window on he other side of the bed. He didn't bother sneaking, it's not like they'd care let alone hear him leave. Once on the ground, Baekhyun carefully stepped over the garden of flowers and to the farthest part of the backyard. 

"I can't live like this." Baekhyun wore a small smile whilst running his hand along the nearly decaying rock, "I can't keep pretending that what's happening isn't upsetting me. I miss you mom, I want to be with you again." Baekhyun leaned forward, resting his head on the rugged stone, "I want to leave. I don't want this anymore. I can't live with this- without you. Just...please. Show me a way." Tears were running down the boys face as he hugged onto the makeshift tombstone. Please, show me something.

"What are you doing out hear?" Baekhyun jumped in suprise. When he turned around he saw his dad standing a few feet away, bags under his eyes, a few small scratches on his face here and there, and a bottle hanging between his fingers.

"Nothing." Baekhyun answered softly.

"We're hungry. Get inside and cook something." His father slurred some of his words.

"Isn't that what your so called 'Wife' is supposed to do-" Baekhyun gasp as he dodged the incoming bottle that shatterd against his mothers stone. The boy looked back at the man with a glare.

"Dont you dare talk to me like that! Atleast I've moved on while you sit in the dirt with a rock and a worthless dead women."

"You have no right to talk about my mother like that!" Baekhyun stood up, "Is getting drunk three times a day what you think 'moving on' is!? You used to love her more than i did and now you talk about her like shes beneath the worms in the dirt!"

His father started towards him, "Because she is! Look at her!" The man grabbed Baekhyun's head, forcefully turning him to the lump in the ground, "This is where she is now- beneath us! She's nothing to anyone anymore so get over it! She's dead and you should've died right along with her." The man was crying in silence.

Baekhyun struggled in his fathers grasp, "I said let me go!" 

A sound of hard contact stopped the boys actions. As he wanted, the man's grip fell along with the rest of him. When Baekhyun turned around, his father was on the ground, unconscious.

"I heard screaming." A short, dark haired girl in a black cloak spoke, lowering the rusty metal pipe in her hands. "Are you alright, Baek?"

Baekhyun sighed in relief, offering his savior a smile. "Thanks Soonkyu. I owe you one."

Soonkyu gave a short laugh, "You owe me plenty for the amount of times I've saved you." Silence fell on them, nearly awkward. Soonkyu spoke again, "Come on, let's get out of here before Thy Intoxicated Harlot comes out crying." The girl motioned Baekhyun with the pipe, walking out of the backyard.

"I need clo-"

"I have some for you, now hurry up." 

Baekhyun heaved a sigh as he caught up with his friend. They heard a cry in the distance and started running. This isn't going to end well.

 


 

"These attacks are getting worse." Soonkyu said suddenly, more to herself. The two were sitting at a table on the floor in Soonkyu's house.

Baekhyun was eating what they had left from dinner, "I here they're getting closer to the village." 

"I know. Soon, even the edge of the gates won't be safe enough."

Baekhyun starting to get scared. He'd always known that soon that murderous vampire would wreak havoc on these innocent people. He'd just hoped that he was long dead before it happened. He'd wished that his family and friends didn't have to suffer something so painful, like his mother did.

"I can't do this." He whispered. 

Soonkyu turned her head to the shaking boy, "What?" 

Baekhyun spoke louder to her, "I said I can't do this." 

"Do what?" 

"Sit here and wait! We're all just waiting for our deaths to meet us!" Baekhyun had tears burning at the edge of his eyelids, "I can't just sit here and wait for something so awful to happen. I can't even live properly because I'm too afraid to even walk outside these damned gates!"

"Baekhyun calm down-"

"I want something better than this. My life is filled with fear. I'm too afriad to go into my own house because I know what's going to happen to me. But I'm more terrified of what could kill me out there than what can hurt me in here!" Baekhyun started crying, "My father's too depressed to love me, he married a drunk, and the only person to ever care about me is gone." 

"Baek." Soonkyu captured the crying boy in her arms. I'm so sorry, Baek.

"My father was right, I should've died right with her. Maybe I'd be happier that way."

Soonkyu pulled him up and made him look at her, "Listen Baekhyun. You may feel that life is in a hole right now but just because your mothers not here and things changed doesn't mean you can go off wishing for your death! There are way too many people that love you for you to think of your only life as some ugly rag you can throw away jus because things get hard."

Baekhyun stared at her for a while before dropping his head, "I'm sorry Soonkyu. I know I sound ungrateful but I'm so tired of feeling alone."

"Yah, if you were as alone as you say you are then why have been helping you out since before your mother died." 

Baekhyun offered a smile to her, "You're right. I'm sorry and thank you Soonkyu. You've been the biggest help to me since before the beginning." He hugged her again.

"It's okay." Soonkyu held the boy a little longer. When Baekhyun pulled back she stood up, stretching. "It's late, I'm going to bed. You know where to find the blankets and stuff right?" She asked tiredly. When Baekhyun nodded she walked into the second door behind them. "Goodnight Baek." She sent him a warm smile before closing her door. 

When Baekhyun finished eating the rest of his dinner, he cleaned his dishes, gotten the extra blankets and the pillows Soonkyu left him and made a place to sleep on the floor. He couldn't sleep for what felt like hours, his mind was still filled with racing thoughts and questions. Eventually he got tired and finally slept.

 


 

Baek.....Baekhyun....Baekhyun! 

"Baekhyun! Wake up!" Soonkyu was shaking said boy by his arm. When the boy started coming too, opening his eyes, Baekhyun was met with a frightened look on his friend's face. He sat up instantly and asked her what was happening. "The villagers are coming. Your stepmother told them that you attempted to kill your father and ended up knocking him unconscious."

Soonkyu grabbed the confused boys arm, pulling him up and into her room, closing the door behind them. She handed him a bag and a dark cloak. She started packing the bag while she further explained, "My father is trying his best right now to stall them. Change your clothes quickly so you can get out of he-" 

"Wait!" He stopped her, "Why do I have to leave? Can't I just hide here or tell them it was a misunderstanding?" Baekhyun started panicking. He never felt safe even at the gates, he was terrified of the thought of leaving the village's confines.

Soonkyu handed him the clothes to change into, "They'll search for you everywhere. She's convinced them that your troubled child, they won't listen to you." She held onto Baekhyun's shoulders, "Baekhyun, they will kill you if your father ends up dead. Death for a death, that's how we work remember?"

"It's not like you hit him that hard." The boy said still in shock.

"I panicked! He looked like he was really going to hurt you- I got scared. He's never put his hands on you before." She whispered. Soonkyu went outside her room, shutting the door. "Change, now. I'm getting you out of here before they find you." 

Baekhyun started doing what he was told to do. He was still confused as to why the villagers would believe a women who drinks like it's her oxygen. They've known him for years, why would they suddenly distrust him so quickly?

He was done changing when Soonkyu came back in with some food in her hands. "Put the cloak on." Baekhyun did so as she placed the supplies in the bag, tying it closed and passing it to him. "When you reach the back gates, just leave. The gaurds there shouldn't know of this right now. The cloak will keep you safe just hide your face and wear my boots." The girl handed him a pair of her boots. 

After Baekhyun slipped them on, the two made their way out the back of the house. It was quiet, they assumed everyone was near the front gates. They quickly crept their way to the back gates not too far from Soonkyu's house. Once it was in viewing distance, they stopped in the shadows of a building. 

"When you're out, keep straight. In three days time you should find another village on the other side of the mountain. Do not go over the mountain, please. I packed enough for four days so you should be good." Soonkyu patted the bag hanging from Baekhyun's shoulder, "When dawn breaks I need you to hide as best as you can and do not make any noises, don't move. There are hollowed trees in the depths of the forest so find one quick."

"Why do I have to do all of this?" 

"Vampires remember?" She hit the boy on the temple, "Do you want to die at eight teen?" Then she hugging him, "Take care of yourself please. I'll find you when I get things sorted out." 

Baekhyun was on the verge of crying again. "Thank you Soonkyu." 

"Baek, if you cry I'm going to cry." She teased. The sound of voices starting getting close. "I'll miss you Baek." Soonkyu whispered.

"Me too." 

Soonkyu pushed Baekhyun towards the gates, waving goodbye as she watched him walk though the gates into the dark forest. I hope they won't find you. "This better work." Soonkyu sprinted off to her house. She had a bad sense about this.

 


 

Baekhyun had been wondering in the direction Soonkyu told him for what felt like hours now. At first, when he couldn't see the village anymore, he walked at a moderate pace, but as time continued, he grew tired. The only time to rest was when he'd stop to any suspicious noise. Soonkyu seemed earnest about hiding out at the dawn's. He tried he's best but he also wanted to be sure he was at a perfect distance away from the village. 

The night seemed to be getting much colder by the minute and the bag felt like it was getting heavier. Fatigue catching up with him, Baskhyun figured this was a safe enough distance and searched around for a hiding spot. Soonkyu had spoken of hollowed trees deeper in the forest. Much to his surprise, it didn't take long to find one. 

The hole in the bottom of the tree was big enough for him to fit through. Baekhyun shoved his bag in first, then crawled in after. What he didn't expect was to fall into a deeper hole. He ended up landing on his head. Rubbing his sore dome, Baekhyun settled more into the tree. It was short of height but the leg room was fitting for him along with a grassy bottom.

When Baekhyun looked up, the full moon's light glimmer over the mountain and through the tree hole, illuminating the top half of his body. The night was quiet save for the soft breeze and rustling of leaves. 

Baekhyun examined more of the hide-out. There we're a few large leaves. It was odd to see them, they don't grow on this side of the forest or anywhere near this part. The boy picked up all of the scattered leaves, they were heavy. When he looked back up to the hole it dawned on him. Cover the hole.

Baekhyun sat up on his knees and position the set of leaves on both side of the opening. He used a couple of large rocks to prop them up and keep them in place. "Who ever left these here was a genius." He said to himself. "I should be safe for now."

Baekhyun decided to check the contents of his survival bag, not really knowing what his friend had filled it with. He untied the rope and openned the bag. He pulled out the first thing, an apple. The top was majority food, smart Soonkyu. No one likes squished food.

Next, he pulled out a water canteen. It was big but only enough to last a few meals. Baekhyun figured he should find a river by then. At the bottom of the bag was a book- for entertainment purposes he suspects-, a light, a small pillow and a blanket. He found a mouth brush and paste rapped in the blanket. Great, more water to use up. 

Baekhyun was more exhausted than hungry so he put off any food. He laid the bag next to him as he bundled up in his blanket and pillow. He left the light on at the bottom near his feet. Tired, he quickly let sleep take over him. The last thought he had was "I'm never making it out of here."

 


 

When Baekhyun had awaken, he could see streams of light breaking through the thick leaves. Stretching with what space he had, Baekhyun yawed while rubbing his eyes. He went through his bag and pulled out his water canteen, an apple, and some grapes. He ate small, afriad he'd run out sooner if he pigged out selfishly. 

After eating, Baekhyun packed everything up. When removed the rocks and leaves, a gust of icy wind hit him. He pulled out the blanket and decided to walk with it around him.

Baekhyun crawled his way outside onto snow. It snowed over night? It was amazing, the whole forest was crystal white and it smelled....good? It was cloudy but the snow stilled sparkled.

He was too busy admiring the view he hadn't noticed someone behind him. "Hi there!" Baekhyun jumped and turned around, putting up his fist. He may not know how to fight but he can sure look intimidating. "You don't look so intimidating with that blanket on." The blonde stranger joked but Baekhyun wouldn't didn't look like he was laughing. The boy sighed, "Baekhyun is it? Let me intoduce myself before you try to hurt me." He laughed again, "My name is Luhan." The boy named Luhan picked up a long leaf with two cooked eggs on it, handing it to him, "I made you these. I know you just ate but fruits aren't a good breakfast alone right?" 

The entire time Baekhyun's jaw hanged along with his arms. Did I wake up this morning yet? How does he know my name? And that I ate fruits!? Oh no, he's a stalker. He's a creep and I'm just standing here! Run!

"Don't run!" The blonde boy protested.

Yup, definitely running. Baekhyun turned around but the boy got infront of him very quickly. What the hell is this!? 

"Please don't freak out on me. Just eat." Luhan handed him the eggs again. Baekhyun slowly grabbed the leaf and sat down on the fluffy snow. He figured if he was going to die, in the hands of a total stalking stranger was sort of descent...sort of. "Okay, one, I'm not a stalker! And two, I'm not going to kill you so relax." Luhan sat down across from him. 

"How are you doing that?" Baekhyun asked, eating his still warm eggs.

"Oh. I'm a telepath. Reading minds included in that package." Luhan smiled at him.

"Weird." Baekhyun whispered, "But how?" He yearned.

Luhan hesitated before answering the brunet, reading through his mind, "Let's just say it's a gift." His smile was friendly yet his eyes gave off a mischievous glint. It creeped Baekhyun out. "So where are you going?"

Baekhyun put the leaf to the side, finished with his breakfast, "To a village my friend told me about. It's supposed to be on the other side of the mountain."

"Oh well you should come with me over the mountain." Luhan beamed again, "My home is on the other side. It'll be a lot quicker than another three days going around." He suggested.

Before Baekhyun replied, he remembered what Soonkyu told him, "I can't."

"Why did Soonkyu not want you to go over the mountain?" 

"How did you-"

Luhan rolled his eyes, tapping his head, "Mind reader." He sanged.

"Oh right." Baekhyun nodded. "And she didn't say. But, as you probably already know, she was very stern about that part."

"A lot of parts." Luhan mummerd to where Baekhyun couldn't here. "Anyway, I'm pretty sure she's over exaggerating. I'm the one who lives there. I should know if it's dangerous or not." He added.

Baekhyun thought more on the subject before quickly saying, "But doesn't the vampire live in the mountain?"

"Do I look harmed in any way to you?" Luhan answered his own question, "Exactly. You have nothing to be worried about. I'll protect you." He smiled.

Baekhyun contemplated some more. Luhan did look perfectly fine- but that might be a lucky-chance case. I don't really trust myself with this small supply of food to get me through nine other meals. And who knows if I might ever find a river before dehydration? In this whether it might be frozen by now.

Seeming like pros out weighted cons, Baekhyun inwardly apologized to Soonkyu. "Alright, I'll go with you." 

Luhan clapsed his hands together in glee. "Great!" He got up, "Well we better get a move on if we want to make it before sunset." 

Baekhyun nodded, getting up ready to follow the other. He stopped when he smelled something that made him want to gag. "It smells like dead animals! What is that!?" 

Luhan walked over a few feet away picking up a woven bag almost like his but longer, "This bag of dead animals." He said entirely too casual. "Don't worry, this bag keeps the oder contained, I just forgot to close it." He rubbed the back of his neck before tying the bag tight. "Give it a while, you want smell a thing."

Baekhyun nodded covering his nose. They started there way with Luhan leading. It's gonna be a long day.

 


 

 

[Several hours later]

 

They were half way up the mountain and the temperature was getting worse. Baekhyun had never felt this close to death in his life. Almost every part of his body had either gone numb or was getting there. The massive winds didn't help either along with his blanket that was now only covering his face and arms. 

When Baekhyun looked over to Luhan, he was amazed at how the boy could stand all of this with thin layers of clothes on. Baekhyun figured it was because he'd lived here for so long, maybe he adapted to it? He didn't know. 

They haven't talked in a few hours. Mainly because Baekhyun could barely get a word out with chattering his teeth or sneezing. Luhan left him be, only asking if he was doing okay every now and again.

Baekhyun started slowing down, legs trembling, head bopping from all different sides. Luhan noticed and asked if he was doing okay, holding him up. Baekhyun tried nodding but instead his entire body shut down on him, giving up and falling limp into the others arms. 

Luhan cursed under his breath. He should've tried knocking him out in the first place instead of making him suffer through all of this. They would've been there quicker as well, Luhan thought. Sighing, he lifted Baekhyun onto his back and speed off through the snow. 

 


 

 

Luhan arrived at a mansion covered in snow near the top of the mountain on the other side. The winds died down a while ago letting him see better. He went through the front gates, down a stone path and up to a long black door. He then knocked with his foot and waited.

After a while, he heard a faint voice behind the door. "Who is it?"

"Who else?" He asked, annoyed. Once the door opened he pushed past the person, dropped the bag or corpses and ran to the fire place. Luhan and carefully placed Baekhyun infront of the fire and watched as he waited. 

The boy that answered the door walked over to Luhan. "Is that-?"

"No it's not." Luhan interrupted, "I meet him when I was coming back."

"So you just decided to bring a complete stranger to our home?"

"He didn't have enough supplies for the three day trip he was going to take going around the mountain. Knowing him he'd probably be too afriad to get so close to this giant rock and keep his distance ending up making it another day or longer. I wasn't going to let him die out there." He whispered the last part, hugging his knees into his chest.

The other male sat down beside him. "You know how he feels about strangers. We don't even know what clan he's from- and that's if he's in one- or how strong he is or-" 

Luhan got annoyed as the other carried on, "Goddamnit Kai, he's human!" He half yelled in order for no one else to hear.

This Kai stared between his friend and the boy laying infront of the fireplace, "But- the smell- he's not-"

Luhan rolled his eyes, "Vampire sent is on the cloak."

Kai slumped his shoulders, "Smart."

"Really smart."

Kai sighed and patted Luhan on the shoulder, "You know he's going to kill you right?"

Luhan huffed, kicking the rug underneath him, mumbling a "Yeah, I know."

 


 

 

A/N: hey guys! Did you like the first chapter? When my friend told me she absolutely loved it I felt better about writing it so I hope you did. I hope you can basically verify some of the things that are happening that weren't said. Comment, upvote and subscribe if you like! Annyeong~!