He, Who Makes Me Happy

You, That I Did Not Expect

   Yesterday, went bad for Jeil and she hoped that today will be different. She was in school early and walked to get to school. It was only 7:30 am, where classes start at 8. Jeil entered the empty classroom and sat on her usual seat. The one by the window. She put her books on top of her desk and rested her head on the books then closed her eyes. After what happened yesterday between her parents, she still couldn't accept the fact that she is being forced on marrying somebody that she doesn't even love. Jeil might not be the lovey-dovey, girly type but she still wanted the freedom of choosing her husband. Sure, she does have the final say on who but she didn't want to pick someone from a list that contained the richest bachelors in South Korea. Suddenly, the classroom door creaked which resulted for Jeil to rise her head. The person that opened the door was L.Joe which looked surprised that someone was in the classroom this early. He awkwardly made his way to his seat which was behind Jeil. Finding out that it was only L.Joe, Jeil went back to her previous position and once again closed her eyes. On the other hand, L.Joe was looking outside and was staring blankly. Then, Jeil remembered that the guy sitting behind her was one of the guys that was candidate to become her future husband. She always thought of him as quiet and mysterious. Out of all the years that she have known him, she has heard him say at least ten words. He was awfully silent and barely smiled. Personally for Jeil, she didn't like those kind of guys but in her opinion, he's actually kind unlike what his image gives off. As Jeil remembers, he actually have helped her numerous of times whether it was picking up her books or when he handed her a water bottle. They were never close, she was closer with his best friend, Chunji. In all honesty though, Jeil liked L.Joe better than Chunji. She saw Chunji as too annoying and arrogant. Chunji is always around her but Jeil never liked his attitude towards girls. She also knew that Chunji likes her but never returned his feelings back. Things will get complicated as her best friend, Nojung has a huge crush on him and plus, she really has no feelings towards him. Jeil felt a tap on her shoulder and turned around and saw it was L.Joe. When she turned her head, L.Joe's head was leaning forward and their faces were only a few centimeters away from each other. He was shocked and retreated. L.Joe cleared his throat and apologized. "Uhm.. Sorry." he said quietly. Jeil didn't move an inch and had her eyes widened. She couldn't believe how close their faces were, that her nose touched his. Her heart was beating faster and she was nervous but she didn't know why. Finally, she snapped back to reality when L.Joe asked her if she was okay. She nodded signaling him she was fine.

   "I was just surprised. Were you going to ask me something?" Jeil asked the guy in front of her.

  "Yeah. I was just going to ask if you were okay?" he said shyly. She didn't know what to say. This wasn't the first time L.Joe left her speechless. The ten words she has heard him say were, 'are you okay?', 'are you hurt?' and, 'how are you feeling?'. He always was caring around her even though they weren't close. Jeil didn't know why he was always like this whenever it's about her.

  "Oh.. I guess I'm fine. Thanks for asking. Did I seem sad?" she said gratefully. L.Joe nodded his head lightly.

  "When you saw me come in, you looked unhappy. You're usually not this early so, I figured something is off. I just wanted to make sure you're fine." L.Joe explained. Jeil just couldn't believe how much he was talking. She probably couldn't hide her awe because he asked if there was something wrong concerning him. Jeil shook her head.

  "No, it's just that you're talking. A lot." Jeil said. He asked if it was a bad thing and Jeil shook her head vigorously this time. "I actually like it. It's nice talking to you." she said with a smile which made L.Joe smile. Once again she was surprised, it was the first time she has saw L.Joe smile and in her opinion, it was the cutest thing ever. "Why don't you smile often? You're really cute." Jeil felt embarrassed after making her comment. L.Joe shrugged and looked away from her.

  "Maybe, because there's nothing to smile about? Or I'm just not the type of person to flash a grin everywhere and whenever?" he asked himself.

 "Well, try smiling more. It's really refreshing seeing you happy. I always thought you were emotionless, no offense." Jeil admitted.

  "None taken. I know I give off that kind of aura." L.Joe agreed with her. Then students came flowing in the classroom. Jeil's friends were screaming her name and sat around her.

   "Where were you? I came by your house but Jieun said you left already. How come you came to school so early?" Nojung asked. Jeil replied by saying she just wanted to walk around the school. She at lying, the real reason she was at school so early was because she wanted to get away from her parents after their argument. Her friends seemed to notice that she wasn't telling the truth but decided to let it slide this time. "Anyways, did you know that Sai has a new boyfriend?" Nojung said. 

   "Yeah. It's Luhan, right?" Jeil said. The other three girls were shocked to how she knew so fast.

  "How in the world?" Michae asked. Jeil just shrugged her shoulders and rested on her desk once again.

   The morning classes went by fast and soon it was lunch. She was on the way to the cafeteria, then the image of her and L.Joe pops up in her mind. Jeil palmed her face and was confuse in why she would be thinking of him. Then the picture of his smile came which made her grin. "You have to admit he is cute." Jeil admitted quietly to herself.

  "Who's cute?" a voice behind her interrupted her voice and she turned around to see it was. To her surprise, she was in the same situation again with the same person. It was L.Joe and like déjà vu, their faces were close to each other. This time it was Jeil who backed up but she lose her balance and was luckily caught by L.Joe. He had his arm around her waist supporting her but this made the situation worse for Jeil. Their faces were closer than ever that she could feel his breathing. She locked eyes with him and she stared at those mysterious eyes. Her heart was beating even faster than last time which panicked and confused her. Finally, she stood up and released L.Joe's grip from her waist. Luckily, the two of them were in the lockers area where no one was watching or as they thought. "Why do I always surprise you? Am I that scary?" L.Joe asked her with a straight face.

   "Yeah. You are scary." Jeil nodded to him. Then, his face suddenly frowned. She chuckled at his actions. "Relax, I was joking. Of course, you're not scary." she told him.

  "I knew that. You probably think I'm cute. Weren't you just talking about me before you saw me?" L.Joe smirked. Jeil's face turned red. She protest and said that she was talking about a dog she saw. "You're such a bad liar. At least say something realistic when you're lying. You could've told me it was another guy. Don't worry, I already know your talking about me." L.Joe said and walked away heading to the cafeteria. Jeil scoffed and couldn't believe what he just said.

   "Is he okay today? First, he's talking so much. Second, he smiled. Smiled happily. Then third, he's so full of himself. Why does he think it was him I was talking about? For all you know it could be a dog or another person." Jeil said to herself annoyed. After a few seconds, she followed and entered the cafeteria. She looked around to see where her friends where sitting. When she finally found them, she sat on a chair and found herself being looked at with six widened eyes and three mouths opened. "What? Do I look like an alien?" Jeil asked.

   "Wow, Nam Jeil. Just wow. I can't believe you're with L.Joe! I'm so happy for you guys." Sai exclaimed joyfully.it was now Jeil's turn to have her eyes widened and open. 

   "Woah, relax with your words. What are you saying? I'm with L.Joe? What's that supposed to mean?" Jeil asked the girl with pigtails in front of her.

   "Don't deny it. Michae unnie saw you with L.Joe hugging and flirting with each other."Sai said strongly.

  "Hugging? No! Flirting? No! What in the world?" Jeil said in surprise. "We weren't hugging. I almost fell so he caught me. Flirting? Oh gosh, no! We were just talking." Jeil tried explaining.

  "Sure, sure. That's probably why you came to school early. You think we didn't see the two of you this morning?" Nojung exclaimed to her best friend.

   "We just talked this morning. He turned out to be friendlier than I thought." Jeil explained which the other girls squealed to.

   "I can't believe it! You and L.Joe. This is so great." Sai said like a fangirl. Jeil can't believe how stubborn and misleading her friends are.

   "There is no L.Joe and I." Jeil said frustratedly but it didn't convince the other girls. 

   "Okay, if you say so." Michae said sarcastically. Jeil rolled her eyes at them but they didn't care and continued giggling. Soon, lunch was over and every student made their way to their classes. Her next class was physical education and she was on her way to the gym lockers but she heard footsteps behind her. She ignored at first but it kept on following her. Jeil decided to go in to a corner to hide and see who was following her. There was a corner a few steps ahead of her so she walked towards it in a faster pace but she didn't know that when she turned that there was a person coming from the other side too. She bumped her head with the person causing for her to fall hard on the floor.

    "Watch where you're going that really hurts!" Jeil yelled. She was rubbing her forehead because of the pain but soon she felt another person check if her head was fine. Jeil finally looked up and saw who it was. Urgently, she stood up and was surprised to see who it was.

   "Are you okay?" the guy asked her worriedly.