A Big Surprise

You, That I Did Not Expect

   Michae and Jeil took their time to walk to their classroom and once they entered the loud room they were bombarded with greetings. After all, the two of them are part of the most popular clique in the school. It consisted of four girls; Nam Jeil, Gong Michae, Lee Sai and Kim Nojung. They are looked up to and are feared, too. All of them had many similar qualities, they were all born with the silver spoon given to them meaning they were born with wealth and power. Other than that, the four of them were also gifted with beautiful looks. Although it was different kinds of beauty, no one can compare to the four of them. Jeil sat in her favorite seat which was the seat by the window. Michae sat in front of her friend and took out a book to read while Jeil just looked outside. 

     Then, two more girls entered the room, it was Kim Nojung and Lee Sai. As expected, they were also greeted by many students. Nojung sat beside Jeil and started writing on her notebook. While Sai was surrounded with guys, who she approached first. Out of the four of them, Sai was the far most interested in guys where she would have five different boyfriends in a month. She said it was because she wants to experience dating every kind of guy but her friends knew the meaning of her never trusting anyone completely was deeper. Michae also dates but not to the extent of Sai, she is more cautious of who she goes out with and is very secretive towards it. 

    Nojung is the shy type and get really nervous when someone approaches her and has only had a boyfriend once which broke her heart in pieces in which she avoids getting in to a relationship again. Unlike, her four best friends, Jeil never dated anyone in her life. Sure, there was those crushes but no one that made her feel special. She never experienced how to fall in love and how it feels like to be loved by someone other than her family. The four of them had worlds apart of personalities but somehow they managed to stay together ever since their childhood. Sai was the crazy, wild type while Michae was the proper and upright type. Nojung was the silent little mouse and there's Jeil, the out-going social butterfly. 

   With all the commotion in the room, silence fell over the crowd when six boys entered the room. Boys looked at them with great attention and girls squealed at their appearance. Almost simultaneously, the four girls who were preoccupied on what they were doing also turned their heads towards the door. It was Teen Top or what the students in the school nicknamed them as. They were teens that were way out of people's leagues, they were the top six guys that every girl wanted to marry. There was CAP, their charismatic leader. Chunji, their heartthrob and L.Joe, the mysterious guy. Ahn Daniel, the guy who owns the most attractive lips, Ricky, dubbed as the 'cutest guy in the whole campus', and Changjo, the ultimate dancing machine of Nam High. Sure, they have great titles belonging to them but they are also hated through out the school. CAP is known for being mean to his juniors and Chunji is very popular for his suspensions for his behavior towards his teachers and the elderly. L.Joe is also dubbed as cold-hearted because of how he ignores everyone around him. Niel and Ricky have also been involved in fights before. On the other hand, Changjo is not only the dancing machine but he is also the ultimate prankster of Nam High. There are many bad rumors about them but the students still admired them. They all took their seats and soon, the teacher came in.

   "Welcome, everybody to a new school year. I am Ms. Jang and I will be the teacher assigned to your class." the young woman smiled. She gave a warm first impression to everyone. The young teacher decided to write her name on the board and faced towards the door. Chunji whistled as to seeing her teacher's back view. Niel responded to Chunji by giving him a fist bump and laughing. Jeil looked at Chunji with a disgusted look and he saw this and in reply he gave her a wink. After Ms. Jang finished writing, she faced forward and glared at Chunji. "Mr. Lee, I will not permit such childish acts in my classroom, let this be your warning and anyone who laughs along with him also suffers the consequences." she stated strongly.

   "Fiesty. I like it." Chunji said quiet enough for the teacher not to hear but loud enough for the students around him to hear. 

   The morning was boring and went by slowly which was torturing for Jeil. It was mostly about the fact that they did nothing but listen to instructions and rules recited by their teacher. Finally, lunch came and the four girls found their selves a table to sit at. "I felt like I was going to die by that long reading of the school's handbook. Every year, the teachers read it cover by cover. You can't do that.. You can't wear that.. You can't bring that... You can't say that.. Soo many rules!" Sai whined while munching on her apple. The other three girls agreed in response. They all looked tired and energy less but there problems weren't done yet. Chunji suddenly came to their table and sat beside Jeil.

  "Get lost." Jeil said strictly. Chunji didn't care what she said and had the guts to put his arm around her shoulder. Jeil had an annoyed expression pasted on her face. "I said get lost, right?" Jeil tried to hold her anger back as she flicked his arm off her shoulder. As expected, he didn't move an inch and just shrugged his shoulders. Jeil couldn't take it anymore and stood up and glared at the guy beside her. Then she exited the cafeteria and decided to go outside. 

  "Woah, anger issues." Chunji said. The guy was right, Jeil had a really bad temper, after all nobody is perfect. He grabbed his food and also stood up. "Guess no point in seating here anymore, my princess is gone. Might as well go back to my friends." he exclaimed as he left. Michae and Sai made disgusted faces as Chunji turned his back on them.

  "That jerk." Michae proclaimed. "I do not know how in the world people are attracted to him." she continued. Nojung lowered her head and ignored her unnies comments. "Where did Jeil go?" Michae asked the two girls eating in front of her.

   "Garden." the two responded simultaneously. "You should know by now that, that's her favorite spot." Sai said. 

   On the other hand, Sai and Nojung were right. Jeil was in the garden under a tree, leaning with her eyes closed. She enjoyed it here, it was peaceful. It helped her calm down when she's mad or it helped her forget about her problems when she's sad. Either ways it was the only place where she could forget everything.

   Finally, the day has ended and she made her way out the school gate with her friends. Soon, all of them separated and went their own ways. Jeil was picked up by her driver and in no time they were home. She entered the house and was greeted by her sisters. "Jeil unnie! Kindergarten was so much fun." Jangmi exclaimed happily. The twins started telling her how their day went and how they created new friends. Jeil was glad how exciting their day was unlike hers which was awful. Just then, her dad came out of his office and greeted Jeil. She bowed and made her way towards him with the folder in her hands.

   "This is the file but can I ask you something?" Jeil requested and her dad nodded. "Why is there pictures of guys in my school and their background information?" Jeil asked straight forward which surprised her dad. "I'm sure that they're not unapproved files. Why'd you lie? Is it involving me?" Jeil asked non-stop.

   "Let's talk in my office." her dad instructed her to come in. She saw that her mom was already in the room and was looking over some pictures. The same pictures of guys that was in the folder.

   "Oh. Darling, how's school?" her mom hugged her and tried to hide the pictures. Jeil answered by saying it was okay.

   "Don't hide it from her. She knows already." her dad told her mom which made Jeil confused.

  "Wait. What? What do I know already? And what is with the photos. It's seriously getting creepy." Jeil said not knowing a thing. She was instructed to sit in the other side of the table as her parents. Her parents looked serious and looked liked they were going to talk about something important. "What's with the atmosphere? It's really scaring me. Am I in trouble?" she asked worriedly.

   "No, no, darling. You're not in trouble. It's just that we weren't planning to tell you until we made out top choices." the older woman said. Jeil still didn't understand the situation. Her mom saw this and explained further more. "We were going to use the files to help us pick candidates to become your future husband." she finally revealed what they were up to which caused Jeil to widen her eyes and open in surprise. Jeil couldn't believe what her mom just said. She didn't know what to say or do. She wasn't even sure if she heard right.

  "Did you just say.. Husband? A person that I will have to spend the rest of my life with? And I will marry this guy that you guys pick because he qualified your requirements?!" Jeil raised her voice.

  "Don't speak in that tone to your parents, Jeil. That's not how we raised you." her dad told her firmly. Jeil gasped in response.

  "Excuse me, if I'm being rude because we are just casually talking about my future, my life and MY husband." Jeil said furiously and stood up. "I'm old enough to make my own choices. I'm not going to marry a guy for money and power. What kind of parents force their child to marry a stranger?" she asked which got her mom mad and for her to slap her daughter. Jeil stood frozen in her place and held her cheek.

  "Honey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you." her mom explained but it was too late. Jeil made her way out of the room and headed for her bedroom. She slammed the door behind her and crawled to her bed. That night, she spent time thinking of everything her parents said. Sure, she was okay with the idea of marriage but she didn't want it to be with someone she didn't care about, a stranger. She drifted off to sleep with these thoughts.