Friends no more?

Out of The Picture

 

Taemin glanced behind him and let out a sigh of relief. He has somehow managed to get out of Minji’s sight and he was sure that she won’t find him at his favorite place, the rooftop of the school. Taemin smiled mainly because he remembered how Minji was so close to beating him up when he tried to drag her all the way to the rooftop. That was the day he found out that she was afraid of heights. And also the day when he met Krystal.

 

Flashback

 

                “I can’t believe you’re afraid of heights,” Taemin said, laughing at his lab partner. Minji just glared at him.

                “How would you feel if I shove a bug right in your a-”

                “Now, now, Gong Minji. That’s not really an appropriate language for a girl like you,” Taemin said, cutting Minji in midsentence.

                “Look, it’s not really necessary that we have to go together, right? I mean, we just need to put the plant inside the greenhouse. You can do it by yourself, right?” Minji said, looking at Taemin with puppy dog eyes.

                “You know that doesn’t work on me, Minji. Have you seen yourself do those ‘puppy dog’ eyes? They’re not convincing.”

                “Shut up! But seriously, Taemin. I am really scared,” Minji said, trying not to look at Taemin’s eyes.

                “Fine,” Taemin sighed. “I’ll go. Wait till I get back.”

                “Don’t take too long,” Minji called after him.

                Taemin chuckled as the rooftop door closed behind him. He made his way towards their school’s greenhouse. He couldn’t understand why Minji was so afraid of something so beautiful. Being on high ground always made him so relaxed and peaceful.

                He reached the greenhouse and went inside. He smiled to himself as he made his way to the rose plant he brought almost a year ago.

                “Hey there. You’re finally in bloom. It’s a shame Minji can’t see you. I brought another plant to keep you company. You’ll watch it grow, would you?”

                Just then he heard a soft giggle. He turned around and his eyes met those of a girl he has never seen before.

                “Oh, sorry,” the girl apologized. “I didn’t mean to laugh at you. It’s just rare to see a guy who likes plants.”

                At that moment, it seemed that everything around Taemin seemed to freeze. Is this what you call love at first sight? Because if it is, that’s exactly what Taemin’s feeling right now.

                “Uhm, hello?” the girl said, waving a hand in front of Taemin. Taemin snapped out of his daze and gave the girl an embarrassed smile.

                “Oh, uhm. I’m sorry. I… I was just thinking why I haven’t seen you before. I mean…” Taemin stopped and tried to calm his beating heart, hoping that the girl won’t notice how nervous he is.

                “I’m new here. I just arrived, actually. I saw this greenhouse from the outside and thought it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.”

                “Yeah. It is,” Taemin said, his eyes never leaving the girl’s face.

                “I’m Krystal, by the way. Krystal Jung,” the girl said, offering her hand to Taemin for a handshake. Taemin just stared at it.

                “Oh, sorry. I forgot that you don’t shake hands when greeting. I grew up in the States so I think I kinda forgot my home country’s customs,” Krystal smiled apologetically. Taemin found it cute.

                “No, it’s okay. I’m Lee Taemin.”

                “Nice to meet you, Lee Taemin.”

 

End of flashback

 

                Taemin remembered how he offered to tour Krystal around the school so she won’t get lost. However, when Minji saw the girl, she was so ecstatic that she literally dragged Krystal away from Taemin, much to Krystal’s amusement. At that time, Taemin thought, ‘girls will be girls’ but now, thinking about it, it seems that Minji’s been ruining his chances with Krystal since the very beginning. It irked him again.

                It was also then that Minji decided to introduce Krystal to Minho. He still remembers how Krystal’s eyes lit up when they met Minho’s and he knew right there and then that he lost. But he’s Lee Taemin, for God’s sake. He’s the heir to their company (mainly because his older brother Jinki decided to run away from home and pursue a career in singing) and he mostly gets what he wants.

                “Oh, I knew you’d be here,” a voice said. Taemin turned and sighed.

                “Key hyung,” he murmured.

                “What’s with the ‘Key hyung’? Are you okay? I was looking all over for you,” Key said, sitting beside Taemin and started unwrapping the lunch box he brought.

                “How did you find me?”

                “Minji guessed you might be here.”

                “Minji,” Taemin scoffed and Key caught it.

                “Hey, are you two fighting again?”

                “We always fight, hyung,” Taemin said as he grabbed a sandwich.

                “Well, not when you were kids. I remember when-”

                “Hyung, let’s just change the subject. Aren’t you supposed to be in school?”

                Key looked as if he wanted to scold Taemin for telling him off but somehow, he can also sense that he’s really in a bad mood so he let it slide.

                “Well, school starts at noon. Advantage of being a college student. We can choose a schedule we want.”

                “How’s Chaerin noona?” Taemin asked rather lazily.

                “She’s fine. She’s actually quite something now that we’re under the same roof. She nags more than me!”

                “I see,” Taemin replied in the same lazy tone.

                “Okay, there’s clearly something bothering you and you know I won’t stop till I make you talk,” Key said, now facing Taemin. Taemin met Key’s angry gaze and he knew that he wasn’t going to get away with it. You never get away with it when you’re dealing with Key.

                “It’s about Krystal,” Taemin sighed.

                “Who? Krystal Jung? You’re still not over her?” Key asked, looking confused and shocked.

                “Well, I’m obviously not over her, hyung and I don’t want to be,” Taemin replied angrily.

                “Taemin, sorry to burst your bubble but the girl’s clearly in love with Minho and I think Minho feels the same way. There are a lot of girls out there,” Key said.

                “Yeah. But none of them is Krystal,” Taemin replied, as if trying to make a point.

                “But you-” Key started. “You know what, never mind. We’ve had this conversation a thousand times before and you still wouldn’t listen to me.”

                “I know I have a chance, hyung,” Taemin retorted, now glaring at Key. This took Key by surprise. Taemin never glared at him. Sure, he would get annoyed from time to time but he never glared at him. “There’s just someone who’s getting in the way.”

                “And who would that someone be?”

                “I’ve made up my mind, hyung,” Taemin continued, as if Key didn’t speak. “I’m not letting her ruin my chances with Krystal again. As of now, I don’t have a friend named Gong Minji.” 

 

A/N: Aigoo. This is sooo late. I'm just able to update coz it's Christmas break. Mian T.T Anyway, merry christmas!! Thanks for the lovely comments and to my subscribers :) <3