Almost-friend

Out of The Picture

 

Taemin's POV

 

It's been 2 months since Minho left for America but it still feels like he's still here. Whenever I enter our classroom, people, especially girls, would still talk about him. Especially Krystal. Sigh.

 

She was sitting on a desk at the first row, talking to some of her friends and laughing at their comments. Oh, how I wish I was the one making her laugh. She's so beautiful and perfect. Aside from that, she's also good at singing and dancing. She's the perfect girl.

 

Just then, Krystal's gaze went to the doorway and she brightened up almost immediately. She waved her hands frantically, calling the person who just arrived.

 

“Minji-yah!” She squealed, engulfing Minji in a tight hug. Minji is Minho's cousin and it looked like Minho gave her the task of wooing Krystal due to his absence. Minji's an okay girl. We're classmates in dance class and she's really good but nowadays, seeing her makes me so... irritated.

 

“Hi, Krystal. Minho oppa wants to give these to you,” Minji said, handing Krystal a fancy looking paper bag. Krystal looked like she wanted to jump for joy but the teacher arrived and asked everyone to take their seats. Unfortunately, I'm seated beside Minji and she smiled at me as she sat down.

 

“Hi, Taemin. Are you okay? You look like you ate something bad,” she asked.

 

This is why she's an okay girl. I mean, she's kind most of the time but there's also this annoying side of her that comes out whenever she sees me getting jealous over Minho.

 

“I'm fine. Oh, come on. You know why I'm like this,” I said, looking over to Krystal, who was already peeking inside the contents of the paper bag.

 

“Then maybe you should give up then,” she suddenly said. See? One moment she's this concerned friend, the next, she's like Lucifer savoring your pain.

 

“I'm not going to give her up. Besides, I'm at an advantage. I can be with her and Minho can't,” I retaliated, fighting the urge to stick my tongue out to her. That would be childish. Yeah.

 

“You're forgetting that we now have instant messaging and video calls. Can you guess how many hours they talk?” Minji went on, as if provoking me. I just gave her my most angry glare and ignored her for the rest of the class.

 

Minji's POV

 

I smiled to myself as Taemin ignored me. For fun, I poked him and threw little paper balls at him. His fists were clenched and it was so obvious that he was trying to restrain himself from doing something, like hitting me in the middle of our teacher's lecture.

 

I'd like to think of him as an almost-friend. You know that kind of relationship? Like, you see each other, spend time around each other but all you do is do silly stuff or bully each other or tease each other. There are no... intimate moments. And I know I'm not making sense, so ignore me.

 

The bell finally rang and we all stood up immediately and waited for our teacher to pack all his things. (It's a rule in our school that we are not to leave before the teacher. We must wait for him/her to get out first. It , I know.) Once he was out, I made a move to pull a strand of Taemin's hair but he suddenly faced me.

 

“For the love of God, Gong Minji! Would you stop pestering me?!” He shouted, causing half of the class to look at our direction.

 

“Sorry. Weren't you the one who said that no one can resist you? I'm just here as a living proof!” I said, gesturing at myself. He turned red and pushed past me. I smiled again and made my way out of the classroom, hoping to catch up to him but when I finally got out, he was nowhere to be found. I saw my friend Sulli instead.

 

“You're looking for Taemin, aren't you?” she said, handing me a piece of chocolate.

 

“I just want to pester him again,” I replied, taking a bite.

 

“More like bully him. Can you give the guy a break? He's already stressed out by this whole 'Minho-Krystal' thing.”

 

“Is that concern I'm hearing? Omo, you're in love with him, aren't you?” I accused, pointing a finger at her. She scoffed as she swatted my hand.

 

“Pft. You know very well who I'm in love with, Minji. Maybe you're the one who's in love with him,” she said, leaning on my locker as I got my things. It was my turn to scoff.

 

“Like him? Well, it's fun teasing him but I wouldn't define that as 'liking him'.”

 

“Whatever. But I know that in the end, I'll be telling you, 'I told you so'.” Sulli remarked, her fingers clean of the chocolate.

 

“Think what you want to think, Sulli. Come on, I'm starving,” I said, as I dragged her to the cafeteria.