Follow Them

Their Powers

We were all preparing for school and since I was a girl, I went ahead of them. They are usually late in getting up, except for a selected few, namely KyungSoo and Xiumin who were already out catching breakfast when I finished bathing. "You should've waited for them first," Tao told me as he stretched. "You'll get blood all over your body after eating," he added as he pointed at my whole body. "I'll be eating in a different place and different food. I can’t get used to eating flesh of the kind I’ve grown up with. It’s disgusting,” I told him as I frowned.

“You should really get used to it. You’ll starve in the wilderness, if you don’t,” Tao told me. He was just the same as Lay. How can I get used to eating the skin then the organs, staining my clothes with their blood? I wonder how they did it. Maybe they grew up as they were. Maybe it’s been years since they discovered their powers and began eating humans.

“I’d rather starve than barf, Tao-oppa. It’s better to die of starvation than live because of cannibalism,” I said before hanging my bag on my arm. “Then take care. If you get in trouble, howl and we’ll come,” Tao said, waving his hand as a goodbye. I nodded. “If I did get in trouble, unlike you wolves,” I said before going out.

I was still bitter that I’m one of them. It’s been weeks since they took me in. It’s been weeks since my foster parents pretended not to know me. It’s been weeks since my not-so-normal life became more of a nightmare. And it’s been weeks since I lived with these demons disguised as ‘attractive men’.

Those boys were older than me, by a whole lot. Not actually, with the ’94 line but with Xiumin and the others, they were really older than me. But still, they were all studying the same grade in high school, keeping an eye on my actions. They were worried I might show my powers and some hunters might find them, though they don’t look like it.

Every girl in my school is jealous how ‘close’ the wolves and I are. They think it’s all paradise and smiles for me, which is the complete opposite. They think the boys are gentle but they are as savage as the wolves they are. If only they have seen them ripping humans limb from limb, let’s see how gentle they are then.

And because of those boys, I was forced into a world of isolation again. And it was lonelier than before. I used to have a few people around me but those boys scared them off. And now, I eat alone in the canteen of the school. The lunch ladies are scared too, that they might be the next victims of the pack, which may be likely.

After I ate, I put the bowl to where it was supposed to be and went to my class. I already saw the pack there, well, most of them. They were all together in a corner, laughing and maybe talking about their next meal. They were always a gluttonous group. They always hungered for human’s flesh. And they never get tired of it.

“Sujin, come here,” Sehun motioned for me to come forth. I wanted to rebel against him but he summoned some wind to push me towards them. I didn’t have a choice. The men exchanged stares with each other then looked at me. “What?” I asked as I crossed my arms, showing my distaste of them. “Stop going out alone,” Suho sternly said.

“It’s dangerous for beings like us to roam the world alone. That’s why we have packs,” Kris told me. Chanyeol’s eyes blazed with anger but he tried to hide the fire in his hands. Tao avoided their gazed, looking like he was scolded by the older members. He was the youngest in one of the subgroups after all. Xiumin tried to cool down Chanyeol’s fire with his frost.

“I don’t want to eat humans, oppa,” I whispered, careful enough no other student heard me. “It’s disgusting. They’re disgusting,” I told them with hatred filling my eyes. “But you’re a wolf. It’s normal for you to eat flesh. That’s our staple food like rice is to humans,” Luhan told me with anger filling his eyes. “You don’t have a choice. We all don’t have a choice. We live by how nature dictates us,” he added before leaving the group.

The only one who looked calm was Chen. His eyes just calmly gazed around the room. I noticed lightning sparking on his hands but he did his best to hide it. He was the only one I could be easy around with. He got along with everyone. He was like the pack’s mother. He was the only I trusted in this cruel pack. Because he was the only wolf who was gentle.

Seeing the words wolf and gentle in the same sentence is funny. It feels so weird. “Go back to your seats. We will all go home at the same time. No one will go first or last, go it?” Suho looked at me like he knew what I’ll do. “You can’t lead a normal life, Sujin. It’s impossible,” Lay told me as he passed by me. “Believe me, I tried,” he said before sitting down. Lay was the only one to have a positive effect to other beings with his power.

He knew how to heal. And healing wasn’t always bad. Except if he healed the enemy of course. That will be dangerous. Lay was always quiet and alone. And he preferred that. He wasn’t as violent as the other members but he wasn’t as gentle as Chen was to me too. He was neutral. And he wants to be normal. He wants to fit in with the other wolves. But that was one thing he really can’t do.

“And I can’t do either,” I muttered under my breath before settling on my seat. Unluckily, my seatmate is Chanyeol. He was always the sadistic one, having so much pleasure seeing the houses burn down before his eyes. He always had a smile plastered over his face. And I was annoyed he can be so happy with all those chaos. “Behave,” he told me before looking at the teacher.

I wanted to tell him to behave too. I wanted to tell him to stop being sadistic but I was a female. And I was someone younger than him. I was in no place to tell him what he should do.

Though I wish I can have the courage to tell them what I think