2

Rise of The Dead || Reader's Choice

“Uhm…” Sehun tapped his chin. We had no time to think and Sehun was just standing there, tapping his chin, putting us all in danger! I was NOT going to die by getting eaten by one of those things!

“Sehun, hurry up and choose already.”

“But Yifan, I don-”

“We’re going with them.” I said sternly. Guilt rose in my stomach as I was helping Taemin push the car. I just yelled at a little kid who lost his parents! Wouldn’t you feel bad too? Once the car was moved, we all scrambled into their rusty truck. Sehun and I in the back, Taemin at the wheel, and Jonghyun in the way back of the truck.

“Step on it!” Jonghyun yelled as zombies started to grab onto the sides of the vehicle. Oh, Taemin didn’t need to be told twice. He stepped on the pedal so hard, it gave both Sehun and me a whiplash; in the back, Jonghyun’s back slammed against the window with a loud groan.

Out on the road where it was calmer, I looked towards Sehun. The poor thing was shaking violently. Our driver wasn’t doing any better. His hands shook as he gripped the steering wheel, keeping his eyes on the road. I swear we were going faster than I had ever gone, but it didn’t matter when you were escaping from a population of flesh eating creatures that used to be someone you knew.

“Hey, little one, you ok?” I asked softly. Sehun shook his head and tears started welling up in his eyes.

“I-I miss my mom a-and dad!” Sehun cried, snot starting to run out of his nose. The weight of our problems literally hit me like a bulldozer. How’d the world become like this? It was a complete mess and it even left this little kid (who wouldn’t hurt a fly) to fend for himself! At least I found him, and I will protect him at all costs.

“Hey, don’t cry. I’m here to protect you until we find your parents, alright?” I hugged him close and sighed. Sometimes, I wish I were as pure and innocent as him who still had parents who loved me. After getting a ticket, they kind of gave up on me...

“Y-Yifan,” Sehun sniffed, “do you think we’ll find m-my parents?” Dammit all! I can’t make promises that I don’t know if I can keep! I want to help him, comfort him, but I don’t think making a promise—that might turn out to be wrong—would be my best bet. I hate these moments in life.

“I don’t know, little one, I don’t know.” The way Sehun looked at me with those tear filled puppy eyes made me want to slap myself.

“O-oh…” Sehun mumbled and snuggled closer to me and closed his eyes. It reminded me of my younger step-brother, Huang Zitao. Speaking of which, I wonder how he is doing. I hadn’t seen him since I got arrested /cough cough/ and we kind of had a fight before I left. He was yelling at me about costing the family money because of my actions and how I was a terrible brother. It’s easy to see that I’ve done a lot of things I regret ever doing; but I digress.

Halfway through the ride, we had reached farmlands and there were less and less business buildings; that’s when we relaxed. Sehun’s eyebrows were no longer knitted tight together on his forehead, Taemin’s hands were a regular color and I had no idea when Jonghyun was doing but he sounded fine.

Up ahead, the shape of a silo and a barn came into view. By that time, I had forgotten all about my broken leg and instead was focusing on getting Sehun somewhere safe. Then, we pulled onto a dirt road and we could see two people on the front porch, waving. Taemin smiled and waved back; must’ve been his parents.

Upon getting out of the car, that’s the pain of my leg had taken its toll. I yelled in pain and collapsed on the ground. Sehun yelled my name and quickly ran over to me.

“Yifan! Yifan! Are you ok? What’s wrong?” he asked anxiously. Damn, little kids are so adorable.

“My leg, it hurts.” I breathed. Jonghyun and Taemin rushed to my side and hoisted me up, slinging my arms over their shoulders. They then proceeded to be my crutch as we made our way to the porch. The man eyed me warily and raised his eyebrow at Taemin.

“He and this one,” Taemin indicated to Sehun who was standing in front of the porch steps, hesitant, “to safety. You know, those monsters have taken over the city. It’s best we be cautious.”

“Right, so what’s wrong with him?” the man asked.

“My leg is broken.”

“I can help; honey, please go get the wrap.”

“Sure, sweetie.” The woman smiled warmly and went back inside only to come out a few moments later with some wrap and a thin board to keep my leg straight and the bone in place.

In no time, the woman had it all wrapped up and the pain slowly diminished. Women work miracles, seriously, no joke.

“Thank you, Miss…?”

“Mrs. Lee.” She reminded me of my mother with the way she talked to me. It was as if I were her son. Mr. Lee on the other hand…

“Well, you can sleep in the barn; Taemin can get you blankets and whatnot. Another family is here too. I can’t host all of these people! Cause any trouble and you’re out.” Mr. Lee said coldly and went back into the house. Gramps obviously hates company. He’s probably one of those people who seem really cold at first, but once you get to know them, they’re really nice! That’s not happening anytime soon.

“Pardon my husband’s rudeness. He never liked meeting new people.”

“Oh, it’s fine Mrs. Lee. I can understand how he feels.” No I can’t. I was the social butterfly at my school. I loved meeting new people and getting to know more about them! Just like when I met my step brother. When I first met him, he told me he knew wushu and he looked really scary somehow. But, once I got to know him, he was really sweet and soft-hearted. I learned he loved sewing, baking food, and playing with his stuffed animals. At school, he was a bit reserved, I guess. He never brought home any friends and he would always keep to himself. That’s what I loved most about him though! Only I knew about his adorable side. Again, I digress; I just miss him so much.

“Well, I better get a move on or else my mom will get angry.” Jonghyun said as he made his way to the truck.

~

“Yifan,” Sehun asked that night, turning to me with his adorably large eyes.

“What is it, little one?”

“Can I snuggle with you? M-my mommy always did because it helped me sleep.” Since when did 12 year olds get so damn cute? Sehun was the cutest 12 year old I had ever met! Usually, they would try to act all mature with their cell phones, boyfriends or girlfriends and be doing y things; it’s just gross. They should cherish their pure nature a little longer.

“Of course you can, Sehun.”

He smiled (so adorably, I must add) and moved closer to me, resting his head on my chest and curled up into a cute ball of just Sehun. I remember when Zitao was only 6 and would sneak into my room to snuggle with me. That kind of stopped once he got to 13.

“Yifan, can I call you hyung?” Sehun asked suddenly out of the blue.

“Sure,” I said and draped my arm around his small little body. In a few moments, his breathing became shallow and I knew he was asleep. If the world hadn’t destroyed itself like this, I definitely would be with my brother again. He and Sehun were so much alike; to be honest, it was scary.
I sighed and closed my eyes. I was surprisingly tired and everything went black.

~
The next morning, we were served eggs, bacon, and cold milk. It wasn’t the best, but it was better than nothing. After that, we were introduced to the other family (Korean); father and a mother with two sons, one adopted from China, Lu Han (who wore large glasses and had the face of an angel, I swear, little kids are so much cuter than when I was a kid), and Jongdae who looked like he would prank me any second. At first, Sehun was a bit shy, but when Luhan boldly stuck out his hand, Sehun instantly became attached.

“I’m Luhan, what’s your name?” Luhan stuck out his hand and Sehun just looked at it. I sighed and gave Sehun a little nudge.

“Go on, Sehun, it’s rude to not accept a handshake.”

Sehun then came out from behind me and tentatively shook Luhan’s. The other smiled warmly and as fast as I could snap my fingers, Sehun had his arm linked through Luhan’s and they were talking up a storm. Well, mostly it was Luhan; my little one (yes, I refer to him as my little one. It’s what I called my brother) was more on the shy side.

“Well, it looks like our sons will get along well.” Mr. Kim (the father, obviously) chuckled as he watched Luhan hug Sehun. Gosh, they were so cute. It was obvious that the Kim’s son was raised correctly. They better stay pure and innocent or else I’m going to have a talk with them.

“Oh, he’s not my son.”

“Then whose is he?” Mrs. Kim asked curiously.

“Well, I guess his parents were out and he was alone. So, he tagged along with me.”

“I see… then how old are you?” she asked.

“I’m 16, ma’am.”

“Wow, you’re so young to be taking care of him. I don’t find many 16 year olds like you,” she smiled and patted my shoulder. “Jongdae, why don’t you play with them too?”

“Mom, I’m not gonna! I’m fine on my own!” Jongdae (that devil) stuck out his tongue and ran off towards the house. I guess not all kids can be as innocent.

~
“Hey, Sehun,” I asked later that day. Taemin and his father were too busy making a fence to be at least a tad safer and I didn’t have anyone else to talk to. It’s not like I hated talking to Sehun anyway; he was my favorite person to talk to. He was just a bit busy with Luhan.

“Hyung, I’m gonna get married! I’m going to be a bride with a pretty white gown!” Sehun suddenly shouted, grabbing Luhan’s arm. At first, I was a bit taken by surprise, but then chuckled.

“What? When did this happen? And to whom, may I ask?” I laughed.

“Luhannie proposed to me! Look!” Sehun held out a small batch of dandelions and I could see a blush spreading across Luhan’s face. Man, how many times am I going to have to mentally squeal? Sehun is being so cute! I wouldn’t mind Sehun getting married to Luhan anyway. Right now, the most relevant slogan is YOLO and that’s exactly what Sehun is doing; he’s YOLO-ing. They look cute together anyway; Luhan with his round, baby face and Sehun’s sharper face to compliment it perfectly.

“I give you my blessing,” I ruffled Sehun’s hair and smiled at Luhan.

“Yay! Hyung approves!” Sehun squealed and kissed Luhan on the cheek. Whoa there, I wasn’t expecting that so quickly. They had only met today and they were already at the kissing stage! I guess it was love at first sight.

Suddenly, there was the sound of a tractor, a scream, and the sound of zombies. I quickly ran to the other side of the house to see Jongdae, terrified, on top of the tractor, Taemin stuck underneath with zombies clawing at him, and Mr. Lee running into the house to get a gun; the Kims were there too. I stood there, not knowing who to save. I know I should’ve gone straight to Taemin, the one stuck under the tractor, but Jongdae was also just as vulnerable and he was just a kid! This is me in the state of panick; I just freeze up and don’t know what to do. Only when it threatens my life (or Sehun and his new “husband,” Luhan’s) do I ever act bravely.

“Help me!” Taemin moaned underneath the heavy tractor. I could hear his leg snap and I cringed.

*You've decided to save Jongdae instead of Taemin (who, let me remind you, has just snapped his leg and is stuck under a tractor!).


A/N: Sorry for slow updates! I get sidetracked with other fanfic ideas. I have story ADHD. All these ideas come from whatever I see in my life and frankly, I've been reading manga (don't judge, it's just like reading hunhan except with pictures) and the story ideas are just so amazing and the seme (dominant) and uke (bottom) are much like the EXO ships. Lol. Some teasers for ideas are in my blog post... Me and my shameful advertising.

Love ya! Thanks for the support!

Note to DailyDoseOfExo-

Unnie~ you know how you call me "little one?" Wellllllll, I used it in this fic, one because I thought it was appropriate, and two, because it makes this fic just THAT much more kawaii! Love ya unnie!

Just for kicks and giggles: